Has anybody decided to lose weight this year?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1185 times

Re: Has anybody decided to lose weight this year?

Post by 4:20 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Image
touche....but alas, too early for me

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:01 pm

It was more pointing it out in stoned amazement than correcting.

I agree though, 2:10 is far too early, unless it's a weekend
This user liked this post: 4:20

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I find keeping myself hydrated difficult, I don't like fizzy pop, water isn't great and I struggle to drink 2 litre of the stuff. I was drinking a 1.5L bottle of Volvic touch of fruit a day until I realised there is 74.4 grams of sugar in 1 bottle.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 pm

I dont understand how anyone cant or wont drink water. There isnt anything as refreshing. Especially 'proper' stuff. Depending where you live tap water can vary.

Evian is one 'product' 100 percent worth spending the money on. 'Tastes' great, especially ice cold, has all the goodness you need from water and will hydrate you properly. Probably over 90 percent of my average daily fluid intake is water, usually bottled.

Water also fills you up.

Never been a big fan of pop anyway but im that used to drinking water now that pops way too sweet.

The amount of sugar and other additives in drinks im cinvinced is the reason there i so much obesity. More of a reason than any food.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm

There's no need to buy bottled water, unless the water that comes through your tap is dirty. When I lived in Burnley the water was brilliant. Also, bottled water often isn't as healthy for you as tap water.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:There's no need to buy bottled water, unless the water that comes through your tap is dirty. When I lived in Burnley the water was brilliant. Also, bottled water often isn't as healthy for you as tap water.
Not all is. But a lot of it is. And evian definitely is one product that lives up to its reputation.

Tap water is fine, and I do drink it. But its nowhere near as healthy as Evian.

Heaton's Gloves
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by Heaton's Gloves » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I dont understand how anyone cant or wont drink water. There isnt anything as refreshing. Especially 'proper' stuff. Depending where you live tap water can vary.

Evian is one 'product' 100 percent worth spending the money on. 'Tastes' great, especially ice cold, has all the goodness you need from water and will hydrate you properly. Probably over 90 percent of my average daily fluid intake is water, usually bottled.

Water also fills you up.

Never been a big fan of pop anyway but im that used to drinking water now that pops way too sweet.

The amount of sugar and other additives in drinks im cinvinced is the reason there i so much obesity. More of a reason than any food.
Read Evian backwards. Just saying!
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank JohnMac

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Aye and it's not bloody working :roll:

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Aye and it's not bloody working :roll:
Tried MyFitnessPal? It definitely works if you calorie count and eat the right calories.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:41 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Tried MyFitnessPal? It definitely works if you calorie count and eat the right calories.
That's what I have been using and have been very honest with what I have been eating and I haven't lost a pound :D and have been walking between 5-7 miles a day so it's been giving me extra calories via the Under Armour walking and exercise app.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Maybe you've gained muscle?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Heaton's Gloves wrote:Read Evian backwards. Just saying!
sdrawkcab naivE...?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

How's everybody getting along with this?

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Lost just over a stone and a quarter at this point. Never eaten better food (really enjoying home cooking fresh and healthy ingredients again). Another half a stone then gonna start some strength based training (not the gym though, I couldn't think of anything more dull).

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:How's everybody getting along with this?
Slowly. Lost about 5 pounds, which isn't enough. Calorie counting using an app is the best way to lose weight. But it's slow and harder to stick to.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1333 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Inchy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:14 am

New Year’s Day I was 14.1. I am now 12.10.

I lost the vast majority of that in jan. I limited myself to 1500 calories a day and no alcohol.

Still slowly losing Il get to 12 stone by May

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 am

May 2017 - 16 st 3lbs
Went on diet. Used My fitness pal to track calories in/out. Limited myself to 1600 per day.

October 2017 - 14 st 6lbs
Went on all inclusive holiday in November. Ate like a pig over Christmas.

This morning - 16 st 8lbs
Think I need to get back on the diet train.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 am

Intentionally losing it gradually. Now down 1 1/4 stone, another 3/4 minimum to go.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Tap water is fine, and I do drink it. But its nowhere near as healthy as Evian.
Absolutely not true

Tap water is cheaper (by an insane amount), contains all the minerals you need that bottled water does, doesn’t contain as much plastic, and is better for the environment.

This thread is awash with an incredible number of inaccuracies, which are just regurgitations of commercially driven internet based drivel.

A healthy life is really not that complicated. But it does need a little bit of willpower

Simply:

-Keep hydrated: tap water is fine. Buy a reusable bottle to monitor the amount and always reach your minimum target. Add a dash of flavour if needs be
-Exercise: as long as you get your heart rate up a bit, and do it regularly enough. Start slow and build up. The couch to 5k app is excellent if you are scared to start exercising. If you aren’t sure, don’t join a gym. It’s a waste of money. And once you have worked out how to exercise, set aside a few set periods of time each week to do it. Joe Wicks has a bad rep amongst some, but you really can do a decent workout in less than 20 minutes
-Eat well: balanced diet, don’t add too much salt, prepare it yourself when you can so you know what’s going in
-Calorie control: despite numerous statements to the counter, it is basic physics. Burn more calories than you eat = weight loss. It’s extremely complicated on a microscopic level, but no more complicated than this on a practical level. Bulk out your meals by adding lots of extra veg, and you’ll be amazed at how big a 600kCal meal can be
-Get outside: go for a walk, sit in the garden, go on the Turf, run up Pendle, go fishing, fly a kite on the beach, mow the lawn, put the washing out, have a barbecue, take the kids to the park... whatever...
These 3 users liked this post: fatboy47 Falcon FactualFrank

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:41 am

Here is my take on how to lose weight - I am now losing 1.5lbs-2lbs a week through this.

1 - Understand what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. You can find calculators on line to help you with this by googling TDEE calculator. This calculates how many calories you burn each day. Say it says you burn 3000 cals.

2 - To lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. 500 Cals a day should lead to 1lb of weight loss per week. Therefore you would set your calories at 2500 cals in this example for 1lb weight loss per week (don't go higher then 2lbs as you will be more prone to binging etc)

3 - It is not as simple as just counting calories in v calories out because not all calories are equal. You therefore need to understand what is in your food. For me, I focus on the following -

Ensure that I eat approx 1g of protein for 1lb of lean body mass - this means if you weigh 200lbs (2.2lbs per 1kg) and your body fat is around 25% than you should be eating around 150g of protein to reflect 150lbs of lean body mass. Doing this will ensure that your weight loss doesn't entirely come from what muscle you have.

Ensure that I drink sufficient water - the NHS recommend 2l a day but it really depends on your weight - I know that I need 3.2l per day - as a rough guide 150-200ml for 10lb of weight.

I ensure that I eat sufficient fibre - around 30-35g per day.

I keep sodium content down to a minimum and never add in additionally to a meal.

I rarely drink alcohol (2 pints in last 8 weeks)

Other than that, I focus on a 80/20 approach of ensuring that 80% of my food is nutrient dense food - so lots of vitamins etc. I still am able to eat out, I still eat chocolate daily

If you follow the above for 2 weeks and haven't lost weight, reduce your calories by 100 cals per day. This is because whilst TDEE calcs are a good starting point, they are just a guide.

Weigh yourself daily, expect fluctuations in your weight but take a weekly average - none of this slimming world/weight watchers once a week weighing shite :).

Get yourself a fitbit or similar and increase your steps to a min of 10000 a day or 15000 if you are already doing 10k per day.

Rachel13
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Rachel13 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:01 pm

I started to lose weight, running, swimming and fitness.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:43 pm

clarethomer wrote:Here is my take on how to lose weight - I am now losing 1.5lbs-2lbs a week through this.

1 - Understand what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. You can find calculators on line to help you with this by googling TDEE calculator. This calculates how many calories you burn each day. Say it says you burn 3000 cals.

2 - To lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. 500 Cals a day should lead to 1lb of weight loss per week. Therefore you would set your calories at 2500 cals in this example for 1lb weight loss per week (don't go higher then 2lbs as you will be more prone to binging etc)

3 - It is not as simple as just counting calories in v calories out because not all calories are equal. You therefore need to understand what is in your food. For me, I focus on the following -

Ensure that I eat approx 1g of protein for 1lb of lean body mass - this means if you weigh 200lbs (2.2lbs per 1kg) and your body fat is around 25% than you should be eating around 150g of protein to reflect 150lbs of lean body mass. Doing this will ensure that your weight loss doesn't entirely come from what muscle you have.

Ensure that I drink sufficient water - the NHS recommend 2l a day but it really depends on your weight - I know that I need 3.2l per day - as a rough guide 150-200ml for 10lb of weight.

I ensure that I eat sufficient fibre - around 30-35g per day.

I keep sodium content down to a minimum and never add in additionally to a meal.

I rarely drink alcohol (2 pints in last 8 weeks)

Other than that, I focus on a 80/20 approach of ensuring that 80% of my food is nutrient dense food - so lots of vitamins etc. I still am able to eat out, I still eat chocolate daily

If you follow the above for 2 weeks and haven't lost weight, reduce your calories by 100 cals per day. This is because whilst TDEE calcs are a good starting point, they are just a guide.

Weigh yourself daily, expect fluctuations in your weight but take a weekly average - none of this slimming world/weight watchers once a week weighing shite :).

Get yourself a fitbit or similar and increase your steps to a min of 10000 a day or 15000 if you are already doing 10k per day.
You've posted quite a lot of things that are untrue.

1) It's now been shown that a person's digestive system plays a big part in weight loss. It is not a case of calories in vs calories out. Because the person's digestive system comes into play too.

2) You should not weigh yourself daily. Weekly - yes; daily - no. Our weight can go up and down depending on many variables. Water retention can weigh as much as half a stone. Weighing yourself daily is pointless.

3) Online calculators are not worth it. You can't use a calculator to work out your daily calories. Every individual is different.

4) I'm not a fan of diets, but you're forgetting about the psychological natur of losing weight. Slimming World weigh you, so you're more likely to want to lose weight because you know on day X, you'll be weighed and people will know how much you weight. It's added pressure and that in itself works for some people.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You've posted quite a lot of things that are untrue.

1) It's now been shown that a person's digestive system plays a big part in weight loss. It is not a case of calories in vs calories out. Because the person's digestive system comes into play too.

2) You should not weigh yourself daily. Weekly - yes; daily - no. Our weight can go up and down depending on many variables. Water retention can weigh as much as half a stone. Weighing yourself daily is pointless.

3) Online calculators are not worth it. You can't use a calculator to work out your daily calories. Every individual is different.

4) I'm not a fan of diets, but you're forgetting about the psychological natur of losing weight. Slimming World weigh you, so you're more likely to want to lose weight because you know on day X, you'll be weighed and people will know how much you weight. It's added pressure and that in itself works for some people.
Yeah OK. :lol:

1) If you have read my post, I am quite clear in saying it is not as simple as cals in v cals out - however it is factually true that you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

If you can reference me anything that proves that you can lose weight whilst not being in a calorific deficit, I look forward to reading it. I have also referenced the important to have nutrient dense food and fibre and water which all contribute to having a good digestive system.

2) You should weigh yourself daily in my opinion and again if you had read my post you will see that I have said to expect fluctuations and that is why you should measure your weight loss by a weekly average. If you decide to weigh yourself on a Friday for example each week and apply what you have said, your mindset is going to be influenced by how your body has reacted on 1 day - you could appear to have lost 3lbs one friday and put 4lbs on the next friday. However by weighing daily you could see that your average for the week has been a 1.5lb loss.

3) I don't even know why Im continuing to respond because again you have failed to read what I have said. I have said the calculators are just a guide and I have explained what you need to do if you are not losing weight which helps you work out what you are burning.

A TDEE calculator accounts for your height, age, weight, activity levels so is a good starting point. It is the closest thing to a starting point you are going to get which is free. If you follow my rules around protein, fibre and water then Im pretty sure for someone who is not looking to become a swimwear cover model will get you heading in the right direction

4) Slimming world and Weight Watchers are limited in what they do. Yes the benefits of these programs are as you say almost positive through the fear of 'Betty' the group leader announcing how good or bad you have been and it gives some form of accountability. However as you have already alluded to in your response, the weight on a set day means **** all because if your body is appearing heavier on the day because of the numerous things that can cause this then its pointless. These programs teach you some good habits but do not go far enough to educate you about nutrition properly. That is why you will see people post some good early results but then stall or put it all back on. It's in their interests for you to keep paying the £5 a week...

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:13 pm

So we're agreed then? :-D

You said weigh yourself daily and then said expect fluctuations. I've a better idea - weigh yourself once a week. Weighing yourself daily has been shown to be a psychological nightmare. People think after the 10 mile run the day before, that it's made no difference and then think, "Feck it" - it has more downsides to up to do it so often. Weigh yourself weekly - sensible.

Definitely a case of agree to disagree. But for those reading the thread - don't take what he says as gospel. There's more holes in it than a pound of Swiss cheese.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:31 pm

For someone with a username of factual frank, you seriously lack any facts.

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/w ... -effective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This explains why weighing daily works.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/as ... yself.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This explains actually that weighing daily isn't a bad thing but nobody should rely on the scales alone, which i fully agree with. Taking measurements and photos are good as the scales can lie.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... igh-myself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This article confirms that people who weigh daily are less likely to gain.

If you are on facebook and you can put up with some swearing.. https://www.facebook.com/teamrhfitness/ ... 994837558/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; & https://www.facebook.com/teamrhfitness/ ... 088279582/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe you will realise that my approach is actually quite fine to follow. Im happily losing weight whilst eating pretty much what I want and not binging because of it. I like my Swiss cheese.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 pm

clarethomer wrote:For someone with a username of factual frank, you seriously lack any facts.

https://www.healthcentral.com/article/w ... -effective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This explains why weighing daily works.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/as ... yself.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This explains actually that weighing daily isn't a bad thing but nobody should rely on the scales alone, which i fully agree with. Taking measurements and photos are good as the scales can lie.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... igh-myself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - This article confirms that people who weigh daily are less likely to gain.

If you are on facebook and you can put up with some swearing.. https://www.facebook.com/teamrhfitness/ ... 994837558/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe you will realise that my approach is actually quite fine to follow. Im happily losing weight whilst eating pretty much what I want and not binging because of it. I like my Swiss cheese.
Haha. I earn more than enough to show I'm doing something right - and I basically earn from writing factual stuff. What you are saying has some merit to it - of course it does. Throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stay there. But overall, you have taken the UptheClaret's supply of bullshit, so I ask you kindly - get off the thread.

The articles you post do not confirm anything - anybody with 3 braincells know that. You're trying to convince somebody who knows that what you're saying is incorrect. It's like trying to tell somebody to drive on the right side of the road in the UK. People won't do it, regardless of how many times you try and tell them.

Stop Weighing Yourself Every Day - https://caliberstrong.com/stop-weighing ... every-day/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please - get off the thread. You're just confusing people.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Why You Shouldn’t Weigh Yourself Daily

Actually, there are several reasons for this…

Daily Weight Fluctuations Are Largely Meaningless

Yes, if you weigh yourself each day, you’ll start to notice that your weight bounces up and down significantly – sometimes as much as several pounds in a 24 hour period.

I know, it would be great if weight loss happened in a purely linear fashion, but that’s not the reality here!

And this doesn’t mean that you gained or lost fat, built or shed muscle; in fact, it means pretty much nothing.

These variations are generally the result of differences in water retention, muscle/liver glycogen, and when you last went to the bathroom.

In many ways, to use stock-market terminology, you can look at this simply as volatility.

You see, in the past, I used to trade currency for a living, and would use price to help determine when I should make trades.

When I was looking for potential trades to make, I would look at what was happening with price across different timeframes.

There were monthly timeframes, weekly timeframes, daily timeframes, hourly timeframes, and even minute timeframes.

As a newer trader, I often wanted to make quick trades (and quick profits), and was therefore drawn to the smaller timeframes.

This would result in me basing my trade decisions on what was happening on a very short-term basis.

However, the problem with this approach is that what was happening on this timeframe was often meaningless – referred to in industry parlance as “market noise”.

Market noise could be a lot of things (and I’ll spare you the discussion of those factors in this article), but it generally didn’t reveal any significant price trends.

Unfortunately, if you make trading decisions based on these quick price fluctuations, as I soon realized, you are likely to make a lot of stupid decisions – and lose a lot of money.

Despite all of the excitement – all of the minute-by-minute price data – there wasn’t a clearly defined pattern to draw conclusions from.

In many ways, this is exactly the same problem that faces guys who choose to weigh themselves each day…

Your scale weight in the end is just data – something that you should use to inform your decisions, like whether to increase or decrease your caloric intake.

If you are looking at your scale weight bouncing around day to day, it can be very difficult to make sensible decisions, which can seriously hurt your ability to make consistent weight loss progress.

And this brings me to the next reason…

It’s Not Worth The Emotional Roller Coaster Ride

Unless you truly have nerves of steel, it is almost masochistic to weigh yourself daily.

Each day, you’ll get up and step on the scale – and each day, you’ll get a predictably varied reading of your body weight.

If it’s heading in the right direction, you’ll be pleased; if not, you’ll be upset.

And if you’re like many guys I work with, you’ll tend to be a lot harder on yourself on the days that it doesn’t go in the right direction, compared to the level of happiness you feel on the days where it does.

Human nature, after all.

But why put yourself through this emotional stress every day, especially if you aren’t able to use this data to make reasonable decisions?

Well, in the interest of self-preservation, you really shouldn’t do this to yourself.

You’ll end up making your scale weight far too big of a fixture in your daily life – much more than it actually needs to be.
So How Often Should You Weigh Yourself Then?

For most of my clients, I recommend taking weekly weigh-ins.

It is frequent enough to be useful for measuring changes to your body, but not so frequent that you’ll get mired in meaningless data and drive yourself crazy!

Pick one morning each week and weigh yourself then consistently – making sure to do so under the same exact conditions each time (first thing in the morning, before you’ve eaten or drank anything, and after you’ve peed).
Last edited by FactualFrank on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Careful clarethomer - this chap had to go to a nutritionist to understand he was eating so unhealthy and has since decided he's the resident expert. After all he's lost a whopping 5lbs in two and a half months.
This user liked this post: clarethomer

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:59 pm

taio wrote:Careful clarethomer - this chap had to go to a nutritionist to understand he was eating so unhealthy and has since decided he's the resident expert. After all he's lost a whopping 5lbs in two and a half months.
Lost my uncle and also lost my close friend - 2 funerals attended in 9 weeks.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Im not confusing anyone. I have responded to a thread asking about weight loss and i have contributed to it with a relevant response.

I suppose your going to be showing off your 4k watch next?

You have given one article by an unknown PT who seems from reading the rest of their site follow the IIFYM/Flexible dieting approach to nutrition, which is what I follow. You have not provided any scientific or factual back up to your claims.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... 0113164#s5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the conclusion of a proper study on this...
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 19.59.10.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 19.59.10.png (113.79 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
I have more than 3 braincells and Im telling you that weighing daily is not an issue if you understand that there will be fluctuations and understand a weekly average is a far better approach to the 'red or black' punt of what your weight will be on one day.

I have the ability to reference studies which back up my methods.

Weighing daily and taking a view of its the average of the week is less likely to result in a "**** it" moment, I will start again on Monday approach and therefore will improve adherence to your weight loss plan.

I will kindly decline your request to get off the post because my posts offer a proven approach to weight loss and it may save someone from thinking that the once a week approach is the best approach when it clearly isn't.

Hopefully my 'confusion' will actually help people on here.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:07 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Lost my uncle and also lost my close friend - 2 funerals attended in 9 weeks.
You have my sympathies but it sounds as though you have a relationship with food which needs to be addressed if you are trying to say that is why you haven't lost weight.

If that is the case, you may not be in the best position to try and teach people about this stuff?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I'd prefer to discuss this in person. I like to chat to people about things like this and then write about it. Disagreeing about things online is often a bit pointless. Email me: lovelyfacts6@gmail.com and just let me know your number and we can sort something out.
This user liked this post: Inchy

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:11 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Haha. I earn more than enough to show I'm doing something right
Do you own a £4k watch? If so, I'll believe you over clarethomer.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:Do you own a £4k watch? If so, I'll believe you over clarethomer.
Different poster. A very good poker player though. So he probably did have one.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3801 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Case in point about daily weighing:
Saturday 17st 8.25 lbs
Sunday 17st 6.75 lbs
Monday 17st 8.50 lbs - after a brew and really good constitutional 17st 10.75 lbs!

It proves nothing and is pointless weighing daily but thought I'd track my weekend.

I weigh myself to look at my weekly +/- about the same time weekly and wearing the same clothes as near as possible.

I am close to losing 1.5st over the past 12 months and am happy with that.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:27 pm

JohnMac wrote:Case in point about daily weighing:
Saturday 17st 8.25 lbs
Sunday 17st 6.75 lbs
Monday 17st 8.50 lbs - after a brew and really good constitutional 17st 10.75 lbs!

It proves nothing and is pointless weighing daily but thought I'd track my weekend.

I weigh myself to look at my weekly +/- about the same time weekly and wearing the same clothes as near as possible.

I am close to losing 1.5st over the past 12 months and am happy with that.
Hallelujah we finally get somebody with a bit about them.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Id prefer to ensure people were not being misled on a public forum.

I have been on holiday for a week, I have been away for a weekend and I have also not been able to get to the gym for a week in the last 7 weeks and I have lost nearly a stone.

I have been able to do that through my education in nutrition and approach. It is really not about trying to put one over on your factual but I know what I say works and I know many credible people that follow this approach and get results.

Research "If it fits your macros"

You will see that the food you eat each day are made up of 3 macronutrients - Protein, Carbs, Fats.

My high level understanding is the calories of your food are made up through the volumes of each of these macros. For every 1g of protein and carbs, it will contribute 4 kcals to the calorie content. For every 1g of Fat it will contribute 9kcals to it. So for example:
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 20.16.02.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 20.16.02.png (435.75 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
Look at the pink element of the above label:

You have 9g of protein. That equates to 9g x 4kcals = 36 kcals.
You have 29g of carbs. That equates to 29g x 4kcals = 116kcals
You have 2.5g of fat. That equates to 2.5 x 9kcals = 22.5kcals

The total Kcals there is... 174.5kcals compared to the 173 is states on the label.

Now they may be some other things going on to why that is not exact but you start to understand how foods attain their calorific values.

When you understand that and you work out how many calories you need to lose weight, you can pretty much eat anything you want - as long as it fits.

My approach is to ensure I meet protein for prevention of muscle wastage. I train regularly and by having this right will allow me to ensure that my weight loss comes through fat loss rather than muscle loss.

Now I know also that when I eat carbs, this food attracts water as does sodium. This is one reason why your weight goes up. You cannot trust the scale to the point that it is your only reference to whether you are making progress or not.

I talked about losing nearly a stone - I have also lost 10 inches and have progress pics which I can see my body shape changing too. I would promote weighing daily because if you understand what is going on with your body and that it is impossible to gain 2lbs of fat overnight just as you can't lose 2lbs of fat following a **** and that I won't mourn the increases in the same way I wont celebrate the daily losses - its the average that counts.

Logging your food, weighing daily and basically getting the stupid **** out of your head that gets banded around like carbs are bad, sugar is bad, fruit is bad etc. then you are going to win at this game. Your body is a complex bit of machinery and this approach I use is the closest thing that I have found to providing a simple approach to being able to live life and lose weight.

You don't agree with me - fine but don't try and ridicule my approach when I know enough to stand by it and know its better than telling someone their weight loss is bad because they have a bad digestion system.

Wake up man- please for your own sake. You are telling yourself a lot of lies which justifies your view of your success.
Last edited by clarethomer on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Is any topic on here immune from the bickering? It's absolutely pathetic.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank cricketfieldclarets

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Probably not - its the first time I have been asked to not post on a thread for not being the same view of another poster. I wouldnt have responded further if factual hadn't basically called me out for mis informing others when Im clearly not.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:44 pm

clarethomer wrote:Probably not - its the first time I have been asked to not post on a thread for not being the same view of another poster. I wouldnt have responded further if factual hadn't basically called me out for mis informing others when Im clearly not.
Myself and another poster has now said what you are posting is absolute crap. They've posted evidence which shows what we already knew - weighing yourself every day is what anybody - ANYBODY with common sense would know is a stupid thing to do. This is where you are lacking - you don't have common sense. FACT!

Scroll up - email address given. All I'm doing is replying to the predictable.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Myself and another poster has now said what you are posting is absolute crap. They've posted evidence which shows what we already knew - weighing yourself every day is what anybody - ANYBODY with common sense would know is a stupid thing to do. This is where you are lacking - you don't have common sense. FACT!

Scroll up - email address given. All I'm doing is replying to the predictable.
There's plenty of research evidence that demonstrates regular weighing leads to improved weightloss because it can promote a change in beviour. There's bound to be other evidence that says otherwise. The reality is that people benefit in different ways so dismissing a regular method for monitoring weight and suggesting a one size fits all approach would be foolish.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 pm

taio wrote:There's plenty of research evidence that demonstrates regular weighing leads to improved weightloss because it can promote a change in beviour.
Yeah - to develope PPD. Get weighed once or twice a week. You can put half a stone on simply by drinking water. It gives a very very false reading and can make you panic and think what you're doing is a waste of time. If you have anything constructive to post - then post away. But do not post something that you'd be too scared to say to people offline. It's not cool.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Not wanting to stir this fairly silly pot at all but I’m weighing myself daily and it really helps me. Can only speak from personal experience but I always weigh in a morning in the traditional birthday suit. I know if I’ve had a good or bad day and the scales seem to reflect that fairly accurately too. I find any small daily weight gain makes me want to make up for it the next day and a weight loss gives me the mindset of more progress and the confidence to continue the lifestyle changes for the long term.

When I see the weight loss stalling I know I need to decrease input or increase output. Sure, it’s not an exact science (I get that) but I find it very motivating whether it’s advisable or otherwise.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:22 pm

thatdberight wrote:How's everybody getting along with this?
I've been a bit backwards and got fatter...
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

taio

Post by taio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Yeah - to develope PPD. Get weighed once or twice a week. You can put half a stone on simply by drinking water. It gives a very very false reading and can make you panic and think what you're doing is a waste of time. If you have anything constructive to post - then post away. But do not post something that you'd be too scared to say to people offline. It's not cool.
Conclusions from three acamedic research studies:

Results support the idea that daily weighing is valuable to individuals trying to lose weight or prevent weight gain. Daily self-weighing should be emphasized in clinical and public health messages about weight control. Experimental studies on the effects of weighing frequency in these contexts are recommended.

Weighing every day led to greater adoption of weight control behaviors and produced greater weight loss compared with weighing most days of the week. This further implicates daily weighing as an effective weight loss tool.

These results indicate that an intervention focusing on daily self-weighing can produce clinically significant weight loss.

Your last comment is laughable in the context of you telling clarethomer to get off the thread.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Amusing to see arguments about which method is better than the other.

Each approach works differently for different people.
I don't weigh myself daily because I don't think it's accurate for me l.
I personally prefer a weekly weigh in, as does my mum.
The reason is I'm not entirely convinced daily would give me a better guide to weight loss, but that's my personal opinion.

There's far to much dick waving going on in this thread.
People will read and take in the opinion of both sides and do what suits them.
I know people who work in fitness and gave differing opinions on when's best to weigh yourself...

So long as you're motivated what's the issue?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:34 pm

taio wrote:Conclusions from three acamedic research studies:

Results support the idea that daily weighing is valuable to individuals trying to lose weight or prevent weight gain. Daily self-weighing should be emphasized in clinical and public health messages about weight control. Experimental studies on the effects of weighing frequency in these contexts are recommended.

Weighing every day led to greater adoption of weight control behaviors and produced greater weight loss compared with weighing most days of the week. This further implicates daily weighing as an effective weight loss tool.

These results indicate that an intervention focusing on daily self-weighing can produce clinically significant weight loss.

Your last comment is laughable in the context of you telling clarethomer to get off the thread.
Don't weigh yourself every day.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Don't weigh yourself every day.
I dont need to.

You are very dismissive of evidence for someone who claims to deal with facts.

Here's a couple more which also address your concerns about negative psychological effects:

The objective of this study is to review the history of daily self-weighing for weight control, discuss the possibility that self-weighing may cause adverse psychological symptoms, and propose mechanisms that explain how self-weighing facilitates weight control. A systematic forward (citation) tracking approach has been employed in this study. In the early literature, experimental tests did not demonstrate a benefit of adding daily self-weighing to traditional behavioral modification for weight loss. More recent studies have shown that daily self-weighing combined with personalized electronic feedback can produce and sustain weight loss with and without a traditional weight loss program. Daily self-weighing appears to be effective in preventing age-related weight gain. Apart from these experimental findings, there is considerable agreement that the frequency of self-weighing correlates with success in losing weight and sustaining the weight loss. The early literature suggested frequent self-weighing may be associated with negative psychological effects. However, more recent experimental trials do not substantiate such a causal relationship. In conclusion, daily self-weighing may be a useful strategy for certain adults to prevent weight gain, lose weight, or prevent weight regain after loss. More research is needed to better understand the role of different types of feedback, who benefits most from self-weighing, and at what frequency.

These findings support frequent self-weighing for weight control. There appears to be little or no effect of self-weighing on body satisfaction. Future research should replicate these findings across a larger, more diverse population of overweight adults.

So I think it's fair to say that daily weighing can work for some people, whereas for others less frequent weighing may be more benefical.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm

taio wrote:I dont need to.

You are very dismissive of evidence for someone who claims to deal with facts.

Here's a couple more which also address your concerns about negative psychological effects:

The objective of this study is to review the history of daily self-weighing for weight control, discuss the possibility that self-weighing may cause adverse psychological symptoms, and propose mechanisms that explain how self-weighing facilitates weight control. A systematic forward (citation) tracking approach has been employed in this study. In the early literature, experimental tests did not demonstrate a benefit of adding daily self-weighing to traditional behavioral modification for weight loss. More recent studies have shown that daily self-weighing combined with personalized electronic feedback can produce and sustain weight loss with and without a traditional weight loss program. Daily self-weighing appears to be effective in preventing age-related weight gain. Apart from these experimental findings, there is considerable agreement that the frequency of self-weighing correlates with success in losing weight and sustaining the weight loss. The early literature suggested frequent self-weighing may be associated with negative psychological effects. However, more recent experimental trials do not substantiate such a causal relationship. In conclusion, daily self-weighing may be a useful strategy for certain adults to prevent weight gain, lose weight, or prevent weight regain after loss. More research is needed to better understand the role of different types of feedback, who benefits most from self-weighing, and at what frequency.

These findings support frequent self-weighing for weight control. There appears to be little or no effect of self-weighing on body satisfaction. Future research should replicate these findings across a larger, more diverse population of overweight adults.

So I think it's fair to say that daily weighing can work for some people, whereas for others less frequent weighing may be more benefical.
Imagine reading all that.

Don't weigh yourself every day, and you'll be heading in the right direction.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Imagine reading all that.

Don't weigh yourself every day, and you'll be heading in the right direction.
Factual Franks common sense approach should be trusted over scientific and academic research.

There is 3 people on this page who are promoting daily weigh-ins as an acceptable approach to losing weight.

The person who has agreed with you has only provided us with information that we know happens. If he weighed himself daily as well as took measurements and photos, may find that his losses are greater than 1.5st. He is happy with what he is doing and im fine with that. Im happy for you to do what you want and follow a plan that only works if life doesnt get in the way.

What I find unacceptable is that you are so dismissive of anything else you don't believe in.

Ive just concluded, you're a wind up merchant who can only respond by insulting, so I await for another response where you try and give us another reminder of how you're right and we're wrong. Im glad I don't have common sense if that is what you believe makes you right.