Aaron Lennon no thanks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Aaron Lennon no thanks

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 pm

TVC15 wrote:I did read it - it's not my fault you post meaningless sh-ite to try and criticise Burnley at every opportunity.
On one hand you are including the salaries of the people you say we should have not bought aswell as their transfer fees but for the people you think we should have bought you rather conveniently leave out the cost of their wages and signing on fees - as said meaningless argument.

More relevant than the numbers is what actually is your point ? Why don't you answer the question about which club has made less mistakes than Burnley ? As this is the real point rather than expecting our club to do something that neither you or anyone else can do - i.e. get all of their transfer dealings correct
Potato brains, I'm losing brain cells by replying. I said in my initial post that the figures were a guess because I don't know exactly how much each player earns. If you want to challenge the figures I posted, fair enough, go ahead but at least read what I wrote before waffling. How do I know how much Andone earns? or how much signing on fee we'd have to pay him? I can't possibly predict so I didn't bother to, to avoid someone like you saying ''your figures are wrong''.

The transfer fees you provided for the 7 mentioned players indicates we've wasted more than I thought, £12M in fees on the lot.

There isn't a club on earth who gets all signings correct, my point is I'd rather us RISK RISK RISK RISK RISK RISK RISK RISK RISK the investment on players likely to succeed and provide us with a return instead of spunking it on old ageing assets or ones with no hope of stepping up. There's no guarantee when signing players, clubs will waste money but the problem I have is the players we wasted money on, we should've targeted more quality less quantity IMO.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Sidney1st wrote:If we'd gone out and ****** £15 million on Ibe who then turned out to be gash I think we can safely say KRBFC wouldn't be happy with that deal.
Neither would a number of other posters, myself included.

No good saying you'd prefer one expensive flop over several cheaper ones, there's zero logic to it.
Where did I say I'd prefer one expensive flop over several cheaper ones?

'' I would rather us waste £15M on 1 player who's likely to be a success than £15M on 7 players who are likely to fail. ''

This? maybe I wrote it wrong but what I meant is i'd rather us buy someone likely to succeed instead of a bunch who are likely to fail.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:05 pm

KefkaClaret wrote:I would prefer we signed younger players over Lennon. Tarkowki is our youngest starter at 25.
Seems only fair to point out that only Ward and Heaton, for whom we appear to have sound succession plans in place, are over 30.

We don't have a particularly young squad but it's not old by any means either.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Just because a player costs more it doesn't mean they've got a higher chance if being a success.

If that was the case Mangala would be first choice at City.
£40 million ish and he's not that good.
Compared to the £5 million I think it was they paid for Kompany who was world class prior to his injuries.

Dyche has had successes with cheap and more costly players proving either way can work.
He's also had some duds, but so does every club and every manager.

There's no way you'd let it rest if we signed a £15 million dud, you complain enough about the cheap ones.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Just because a player costs more it doesn't mean they've got a higher chance if being a success.

If that was the case Mangala would be first choice at City.
£40 million ish and he's not that good.
Compared to the £5 million I think it was they paid for Kompany who was world class prior to his injuries.

Dyche has had successes with cheap and more costly players proving either way can work.
He's also had some duds, but so does every club and every manager.

There's no way you'd let it rest if we signed a £15 million dud, you complain enough about the cheap ones.
I complain about the cheap ones because I feel we've took the cheap option and paid for it, I'd rather we targeted players capable of fitting into the first 11 and not cover players. Of course that doesn't mean the players will be a success, but there's a higher chance of a return on investment with certain players dependant on age,form etc The scouting is what should give us a higher chance of success when buying, as a club you have to believe in the scouting and recruitment team getting it right but plan for it to go wrong. We will never get back the £15M wasted on the players named (probably more) and the problem is, we were never ever going to get a return out of any of the players mentioned which is the thing that bothers me the most.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm

KRBFC wrote:what I meant is i'd rather us buy someone likely to succeed instead of a bunch who are likely to fail.
How exactly do you quantify a player as 'likely to suceed' Or 'likely to fail'? Are you talking good young players from the championship or other leagues who haven't played in the English top flight versus experienced players who have spent most of their careers there?
Because if you are surely those with experience of playing there, and who are used to the pace of the league are more 'likely to succeed' than someone who is unused to it?

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

KRBFC has such insight into what it takes to manage a Premier League football team, and to run a Premier League club. Not for the first time, I find myself wondering what he does for a living.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm

He'd be like Joey Barton, Andy Cole, John McGreal, Mitchell Thomas etc - players whose careers are miles above what we've experienced as Burnley fans historically, and usually surprise with how good they are and become fan favourites.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 am

Braindead wrote:How exactly do you quantify a player as 'likely to suceed' Or 'likely to fail'? Are you talking good young players from the championship or other leagues who haven't played in the English top flight versus experienced players who have spent most of their careers there?
Because if you are surely those with experience of playing there, and who are used to the pace of the league are more 'likely to succeed' than someone who is unused to it?
Yeah, but you're likely to get a return on investment on a young hot prospect even if they fail at a higher level because they'll still have been proven in the league below if they don't quite step up. Give me a young unproven newcomer over Reid, Sordell and Juke combined, all day long. For example, Zaha when he left Palace for United for £10M, unproven in the PL at the time and didn't quite work out for him, he went back to Palace for £7M. United got 70% of their initial investment back on a failed prospect because he'd already shown he was excellent in the league below so still held value. We got less than 50% back on Juke, but he was NEVER likely to be good enough to step up, so what was the point?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am

Wasn't it rumoured Zaha was knobbing someone's daughter or wife whilst at Utd?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am

How do you know Juke was NEVER likely?
Same could be said of Barnes when we signed him and he's done alright.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 am

Difference was we signed Barnes in the middle of our promotion push to push us over the edge. We signed Juke when we had been promoted and he had just come off a quite incredible 8 goal season in the Championship. I'd rather not remember Juke, man was useless.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 am

I'm sure people at the club would love to spend £5/10m on a young player who can step right in straight away and perform. Then in 2 years we can sell for £30m.

In reality that doesn't happen all to often. We get players like Bardsley, Walters, S Reid, M Taylor etc because they can and have stepped in and performed. Staying up is worth more to us now than taking chances on young players.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 am

Leeds fans are hoping that he'll return to them.

Given the choice, who wouldn't choose playing for one of the biggest teams in Europe rather than playing for little old Burnley?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32536 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 am

dandeclaret wrote:He'd be like Joey Barton, Andy Cole, John McGreal, Mitchell Thomas etc - players whose careers are miles above what we've experienced as Burnley fans historically, and usually surprise with how good they are and become fan favourites.
The one on that list that concerned me at the time was Mitchell Thomas who we saw have a poor game for Luton on the Turf in the previous season. It didn't take me long to realise how wrong I was.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 am

Sidney1st wrote:Wasn't it rumoured Zaha was knobbing someone's daughter or wife whilst at Utd?
Moyes' daughter

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

dibraidio wrote:Leeds fans are hoping that he'll return to them.

Given the choice, who wouldn't choose playing for one of the biggest teams in Europe rather than playing for little old Burnley?
If he ended up going down to the Championship, I imagine it meant we weren't all that interested in him. I'm sure if we wanted him, we'd get him over Leeds.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Newcastle in for him

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11052 times
Has Liked: 5659 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The one on that list that concerned me at the time was Mitchell Thomas who we saw have a poor game for Luton on the Turf in the previous season. It didn't take me long to realise how wrong I was.
I remember a game away at Oldham and Thomas was perfect for 90 mins, absolute supreme performance

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 am

There's a little snippet in today's Daily Telegraph:

"Burnley manager Sean Dyche is ready to move for 30 year old Aaron Lennon after Everton completed the £20 million capture of Theo Walcott. Talks have already started but the move has been delayed over the length of contract."

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 am

I presume Lennon is already carrying an injury of some sort and will be Dyche fit and raring to go around the middle of July. Sounds just like our sort of player. ;)