Set Pieces

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Set Pieces

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 am

We are hopeless at creating attempts on goal from them. How many free headers do Mee and Tarks get yet they seem to have square heads ? :lol:

In all seriousness do these two not practice heading towards goal ?

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Re: Set Pieces

Post by piston broke » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:57 am

Tarks looked like he was scared to score against Manure yesterday. Heading it back across goal when it was easier to score!!!!
They have missed some sitters between them.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

We were polishing up on out set plays Friday afternoon

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't even get remotely excited when we get a corner anymore. When did we last score from one? We often look like conceding straight after one though. Needs looking at as it's nowhere near a good enough record for a team that relies on being resolute and exploiting set pieces for the odd goal. Our lack of clinical finishing was always going to catch up with us despite that fantastic start.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3337 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 pm

We had a spell when Keane was playing where corners and free kicks launched into the box were very dangerous, but considering their size and aerial prowess both Tarks and Mee just don't seem to know how to score, despite winning a good number of headers.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:40 pm

It would be nice though for some quality to be delivered into the box,especially from corners.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Even worse - throw ins!!!! It's been a Burnley weakness for years.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 pm

Someone mentioned yesterday we had only scored 1 goal that hadn't come from a set peice since early December.

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:48 pm

It's a strange one, you'd think by now that we would be trying alternate options from corners, as when opportunities are created they tend to always be missed.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Do we actually do anything right? You wouldn't think so reading this board.
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill dsr Juan Tanamera

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6571 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:We are hopeless at creating attempts on goal from them. How many free headers do Mee and Tarks get yet they seem to have square heads ? :lol:

In all seriousness do these two not practice heading towards goal ?

I’d say they probably practice heading AWAY from goal. First things first and all that...
Last edited by bobinho on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Mee wins his share from beyond the far post. No chance of scoring from there so he heads them back across goal.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Im_not_Robbie_Blake wrote:Even worse - throw ins!!!! It's been a Burnley weakness for years.
We have a very old fashioned approach towards throw ins - which is basically throw it down the line. Even if we win the header to knock it on invariably it will end up with the opposition.
The statistics show that any team that throws the ball down the line will more than often lose possession.
The other tactic which is adopted by the likes of Barca, Man City and other teams is that keeping possession is the priority so you see these teams not waiting for their full back to take the throw in - it's whoever can get to the ball the quickest will take the throw in and most of the time they will throw it backwards to their defence who then pass it along the back line and start the move again from the back. With Barca this is why you see Messi taking plenty of throw ins.

For years this was not a tactic I ever took any notice on until I read a report on it a few months ago. Since then I've noticed how many times Burnley wait for the full back to take the throw in....throw it down the line and hand back possession. I then saw teams like Liverpool, City and Barca etc throwing the ball back 20 yards to their deepest defenders and start the slow build up routine.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Do we actually do anything right? You wouldn't think so reading this board.
Of course, we do plenty right. Now answer my question Tony. When did we last score from a corner? I genuinely can't recall.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:We have a very old fashioned approach towards throw ins - which is basically throw it down the line. Even if we win the header to knock it on invariably it will end up with the opposition.
The statistics show that any team that throws the ball down the line will more than often lose possession.
The other tactic which is adopted by the likes of Barca, Man City and other teams is that keeping possession is the priority so you see these teams not waiting for their full back to take the throw in - it's whoever can get to the ball the quickest will take the throw in and most of the time they will throw it backwards to their defence who then pass it along the back line and start the move again from the back. With Barca this is why you see Messi taking plenty of throw ins.

For years this was not a tactic I ever took any notice on until I read a report on it a few months ago. Since then I've noticed how many times Burnley wait for the full back to take the throw in....throw it down the line and hand back possession. I then saw teams like Liverpool, City and Barca etc throwing the ball back 20 yards to their deepest defenders and start the slow build up routine.
In my Sunday league days we used to get the winger to stand 5 yards in from the touchline and 15 yards down the line. Their defender had to be goal side who was marking him, so I would throw it just inside of them and above our player. This gave the advantage to their defender who would win the header but have to head it out of play with the ball inside him.
Repeat 3 or 4 times and you were right up next to their box.

So simple but hard for the defensive side to do anything about.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2104 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Do we actually do anything right? You wouldn't think so reading this board.
Be a bit of a boring message board if we did everything right.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm

We do loads of things right, set pieces are a massive part of the game and we are pretty poor at converting chances from our offensive ones - surely not even you can deny that ?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:In my Sunday league days we used to get the winger to stand 5 yards in from the touchline and 15 yards down the line. Their defender had to be goal side who was marking him, so I would throw it just inside of them and above our player. This gave the advantage to their defender who would win the header but have to head it out of play with the ball inside him.
Repeat 3 or 4 times and you were right up next to their box.

So simple but hard for the defensive side to do anything about.
Yep throwing it down the line trying to get a knock on or more yardage is how most amateur and school teams play.
Problem is for Burnley even if they achieved this and gained some territory when was the last time you ever saw them score from a long throw into the box ? Most weeks we are playing against giants.

I'm not saying this is a big issue for Burnley. We know SD is big on stats so I am sure there will be a good reason why we do this.

I have also no idea whether doing it the Barca / City way is better - yes it leads to losing the ball less often but we know from our stats and the likes of the league winning Leicester team that having less possession than your opposition does not mean you are going to lose.

It also helps having a team of £50m priced defenders and midfielders who are comfortable passing the ball across their back line etc

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I may be way out but my view on it is that it doesnt matter that we are useless at throw ins in SDs eyes. The longer we take the more seconds are wasted which feeds into our percentage play. The more time we spend struggling to find a man to throw to the less time the opposition have the ball meaning they cant score.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm

We would benefit a lot having a long thrower. We can barely keep possession so may as well lump it higher up and stand the same chance.

Tarkowski doesn't seem to be able to throw it that far and being a centre back it's not ideal.

BFC88
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BFC88 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Was saying this yesterday about corners. We are absolutely hopeless attacking them, it might as well be a goal kick

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Whats frustrating for me is the amount of times Mee has a free header at the back post and heads back across goal. No one ever there to connect with the headback when surely the regularity it ends up with Mee means it is something worked on. He may as well try and head it at goal than back across the box. In my view the more time the ball is in the air in the penalty box the less chance we have of scoring. This is due to GK being deemed to be impeded or the jostling which goes on being noticed by the ref against us which I do feel the refs look for (not just us) and enabling him to blow meaning he has less chance of missing a penalty box incident which would lead to inquests after the game.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 pm

We certainly haven’t scored from a corner this season and that is a bit of a poor do, however one might dress it up.
I remember one at home to Watford last season (Defour corner, Hendrick header), and later in the game Defour crossed again for a Keane header (not direct from a corner mind).
Was Keane’s equaliser at Hull last year from a corner?
One thing I would like to see is Defour take the odd corner from the left wing position as an in-swinger, Gudmundsson’s left-footed corners tend to be out swingers that are a little easier to defend.
Whatever happened to (a) the front post flick-on and (b) the clever dummy corner instigated by Howe but carried on by Dyche. As a special one-off they yielded a decent percentage of success and although teams became savvy to it, trying one every now and then surely can’t harm.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:59 pm

TVC15 wrote:Yep throwing it down the line trying to get a knock on or more yardage is how most amateur and school teams play.
Problem is for Burnley even if they achieved this and gained some territory when was the last time you ever saw them score from a long throw into the box ? Most weeks we are playing against giants.

I'm not saying this is a big issue for Burnley. We know SD is big on stats so I am sure there will be a good reason why we do this.

I have also no idea whether doing it the Barca / City way is better - yes it leads to losing the ball less often but we know from our stats and the likes of the league winning Leicester team that having less possession than your opposition does not mean you are going to lose.

It also helps having a team of £50m priced defenders and midfielders who are comfortable passing the ball across their back line etc
I presume Dyche likes the opposition to have the ball in their own half where if they make a mistake we can pounce and catch them out to score. Which is where most of our goals will come from.
With every side in this league having more pace than us it's hard to catch them out playing from our half. They simply get back and cover.

JimmyMac'sMate
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by JimmyMac'sMate » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Why are so many people on he negative check where Burnley football club are playing there football and also cheek where we are in the league enjoy utc

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:We do loads of things right, set pieces are a massive part of the game and we are pretty poor at converting chances from our offensive ones - surely not even you can deny that ?
I wouldn't have thought we were and if you look at the stats there are more teams worse than us than better than us at set pieces at both ends of the pitch.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Edited by me.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm

I think our corner deliveries have been if a consistently higher quality this season. Mee and Tarks do seem to miss the target when presented with an opportunity though. Definitely something we should be working on.

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Perhaps we could practice the Dave Thomas type corner - superb ball straight into the far corner of the net. That would be good to see !

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I wouldn't have thought we were and if you look at the stats there are more teams worse than us than better than us at set pieces at both ends of the pitch.
Our conversion rate from set pieces is abysmal considering how many times Mee and Tarks actually win headers, I'm not interested in other teams as they don't have Mee and Tarks !

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 pm

TVC15 wrote:We have a very old fashioned approach towards throw ins - which is basically throw it down the line. Even if we win the header to knock it on invariably it will end up with the opposition.

This wouldn't go down well with those in the JHU who sit near me.......get it forward FFS.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

what_no_pies wrote:Of course, we do plenty right. Now answer my question Tony. When did we last score from a corner? I genuinely can't recall.
United away? Not directly from a corner and it was all a bit of a mess but it came from one. Lat other than that I remember was Watford at home last season

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 am

MACCA wrote:Someone mentioned yesterday we had only scored 1 goal that hadn't come from a set peice since early December.
But we've hardly scored since December.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:18 am

Belial wrote:United away? Not directly from a corner and it was all a bit of a mess but it came from one. Lat other than that I remember was Watford at home last season

That was a JBG free kick after he had be fouled by Rojo

[/quote]
But we've hardly scored since December.[/quote]

This is also true .