The best and worst experiences at the same away ground

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Re: The best and worst experiences at the same away ground

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Carlisle '92......who had a Jimmy Mullen mask? :D

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Your experience can’t have been that vividly remembered as I’m fairly sure Gazza never played for Burnley at Hillsborough.

He definitely played (very badly) away at Sheff Utd that season - but not at Sheff Wed.
Do you know what. You're right! It was sheff utd. Was that the game where Warnock had somebody listening at the Burnley changing room door and Stan ended up sticking one on him!?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Do you know what. You're right! It was sheff utd. Was that the game where Warnock had somebody listening at the Burnley changing room door and Stan ended up sticking one on him!?
Think this was the same game. An awful away performance! Remember being on lower tier and some Burnley fans ripping up seats in the top tier and trying to throw them at the Sheffield United fans who had invaded the pitch but ended up hitting those on front rows.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Think this was the same game. An awful away performance! Remember being on lower tier and some Burnley fans ripping up seats in the top tier and trying to throw them at the Sheffield United fans who had invaded the pitch but ended up hitting those on front rows.
Wasn't that Kevin Blackwell doing the eavesdropping?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Wasn't that Kevin Blackwell doing the eavesdropping?
So it wasn't Hillborough. It wasn't Warnock either!. It was a Malcolm McDonald brace that killed my dreams of Wembley wasn't it. Or have I got that wrong as well!? :oops:

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:So it wasn't Hillborough. It wasn't Warnock either!. It was a Malcolm McDonald brace that killed my dreams of Wembley wasn't it. Or have I got that wrong as well!? :oops:
Spot on, Ringo :)

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Didn't Davis equalise and then Deary get the winner down our end? Unbelievable weather - soaked to the skin but a great away day!
I WAS thinking Deary as I typed and it was definitely at our end. We went nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Carlisle '92......who had a Jimmy Mullen mask? :D
I was in the main stand (weren`t we all!!!!!????). I remember the guy in the centre circle on the swimming lilo :lol:
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:I remember being there and getting absolutely drenched wet through and winning 2-1, but I felt Deary was one of the scorers (with Heath?)
Did Heath and Joyce play? :( :oops:

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

HiroshimaClaret wrote:I was in the main stand (weren`t we all!!!!!????). I remember the guy in the centre circle on the swimming lilo :lol:
Crazy day. 8-)

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Notice a couple of shouts for Carlisle (Brunton Park) on this thread...

92 at Carlisle was amazing even though we didn’t win the game.

Also remember a 5-0 drubbing there not long after that, maybe early 96, in the lower league cup (can’t remeber the name of it). Hugely embarrassing and a woeful performance! Incidentally, I watched that match stood on the terraces next to a very young Richard Chaplow.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 pm

HiroshimaClaret wrote:Did Heath and Joyce play? :( :oops:
Heath laid Deary’s goal on a plate for him...which is where there might have been a bit of confusion.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Notice a couple of shouts for Carlisle (Brunton Park) on this thread...

92 at Carlisle was amazing even though we didn’t win the game.

Also remember a 5-0 drubbing there not long after that, maybe early 96, in the lower league cup (can’t remeber the name of it). Hugely embarrassing and a woeful performance! Incidentally, I watched that match stood on the terraces next to a very young Richard Chaplow.
Geeez...remember that! It was bloody awful. My mind is saying the linesman got some AWFUL stick that match. I`m also wanting to say George Courtney the ref but think my mind is a wanderin`.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 1621 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm

09/03/2014 Best

01/04/2001Worst

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Drew 1..1 with Sheffield Wednesday late 72 we were top or second and the worst at the same ground Newcastle beating us 2..0 devastated was an understatement.the only team we played from the top flight and we fluffed our lines!

Boll ewood
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by Boll ewood » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Watford away in fa cup quarter finals I think. Ternant was manager and we just didn't show up that day. Watford under dyche when he got us promoted first time round one of the best. Even though we only drew it was late on in season avd we had a few injuries and super Scott arfield scored a late equaliser. Just knew from that game we were getting promoted. UTC

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 am

Home Park, Plymouth. First visit, even though we won 1-0, 76 I think. Whole day was a nightmare, Viscount Central coach left Burnley bus station 11pm Friday night. Arriving at the ground just before 7am. Kicked off the coach on a freezing November morning. Some of ours Liberated a paper boy of his papers, then a milkman of some milk. Walked into the city. Me and my mate were attacked once, chased twice. In the ground about 50 or so Clarets on the open end making a bit of noise, no segregation. Police came in and advised us to be quiet or we’d get our heads kick in, and they wouldn’t do anything to stop it. I think Mike Summerbee scored?

Then of course the play off semi. Oh that was fun rubbing there Wembley coach vouchers in their faces!!

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:36 am

tim_noone wrote:Drew 1..1 with Sheffield Wednesday late 72 we were top or second and the worst at the same ground Newcastle beating us 2..0 devastated was an understatement.the only team we played from the top flight and we fluffed our lines!
Are you thinking of the 1-0 win, Taffy goal on MOTD, in promotion season?

Shappie
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by Shappie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:01 am

As far apart on the good / bad spectrum for me would be st James park Exeter

1988 I was mascot. we lost 3-0 but it was a day I remember even 30 years on.

1993? Ish! Got to the ground only for it to be called off! Same thing happened a couple years ago with the youth team.

ShakyLee
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by ShakyLee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:56 am

Charlton. FA cup 3rd round Jan 1994 lost 3-0 - a woeful performance.
May 2016 Chamionship won 3-0 - Champions!
This user liked this post: oswyclaret

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 am

piston broke wrote:Are you thinking of the 1-0 win, Taffy goal on MOTD, in promotion season?
Possibly ...yes. It was a long time ago but I knew we got a result.and punched off their end.october / November maybe.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:18 am

Shappie wrote:As far apart on the good / bad spectrum for me would be st James park Exeter

1988 I was mascot. we lost 3-0 but it was a day I remember even 30 years on.

1993? Ish! Got to the ground only for it to be called off! Same thing happened a couple years ago with the youth team.
I was on the supporters` club coach when we pulled into Exeter services only to hear over the police radio that the game was off. NOT AMUSED!
This user liked this post: Shappie

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

Birmingham City.

Glenn Little scoring that wonder goal cutting in from the right. We were flying that season too. Think it was a night game nearing Christmas and not long before the wheels fell off for that promotion push.

Worst was being locked in a fenced off area after the game for our own safety. The Brum fans started throwing missiles over, we were a complete sitting duck for them. Saw a Dad complaining to the Police after his daughter (a toddler really) had been hit on the head. Poor lass was covered in blood.

Not sure but the above 2 could even have been the same visit. Anyone clarify?

billyhamilton82
Been Liked: 160 times
Has Liked: 159 times

Post by billyhamilton82 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 am

Gigg Lane :

For some reason this resonates more than any other for me.

26th January 1980

Following a brilliant win in the third round against Stoke City we felt a cup run was our destiny after a poor start to the season was being turned on its head after an excellent run of results over the Xmas period. We were drawn against fourth division Bury. Apart from it being bitterly cold and them playing Altered Images Happy Birthday over and over on the tannoy and a young Colin Anderson getting kicked all over the park I can't remember much apart from the despair on the way home in the motorhome........we knew we were going down after that performance.

9th February 1988

Roll on eight years and by this time apart from a very decent 18 months 1981-83 ish we had got used to being a soft touch and rolling over (quite literally). It was 8 months after the "Orient Game" and even though we were doing relatively well at the top end of division 4 if I'm honest I didn't hold out "that" much hope of winning. This was a big game. Quarter final of the Sherpa Van Trophy against a team a division above with some very good young players including I think Liam Robinson?? The conditions were awful with torrential rain battering us in the away end as Paul Comstive put us in front with a penalty. Again can't remember much apart from the utter euphoria walking off the ground and the jubilation in the car on the way home....We were on our way back !

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:54 am

billyhamilton82 wrote:Gigg Lane :

For some reason this resonates more than any other for me.

26th January 1980

Following a brilliant win in the third round against Stoke City we felt a cup run was our destiny after a poor start to the season was being turned on its head after an excellent run of results over the Xmas period. We were drawn against fourth division Bury. Apart from it being bitterly cold and them playing Altered Images Happy Birthday over and over on the tannoy and a young Colin Anderson getting kicked all over the park I can't remember much apart from the despair on the way home in the motorhome........we knew we were going down after that performance.

9th February 1988

Roll on eight years and by this time apart from a very decent 18 months 1981-83 ish we had got used to being a soft touch and rolling over (quite literally). It was 8 months after the "Orient Game" and even though we were doing relatively well at the top end of division 4 if I'm honest I didn't hold out "that" much hope of winning. This was a big game. Quarter final of the Sherpa Van Trophy against a team a division above with some very good young players including I think Liam Robinson?? The conditions were awful with torrential rain battering us in the away end as Paul Comstive put us in front with a penalty. Again can't remember much apart from the utter euphoria walking off the ground and the jubilation in the car on the way home....We were on our way back !
The 1980 game featured in the biggest away followings thread a few weeks back. It was controversial in that their goal was caught by Stevenson and from memory he bounced the ball on the goal line and it was awarded. No goal line technology in them days.

The weather for 1988 was bad, it was blowing a gale, it was seriously strong and dangerous wind! Probably did us a favour as Bury were a league above. Robinson would have been at Bury then. Gigg Lane was not a happy hunting ground for us. 4-2 Boxing Day and a 1-0 defeat when Stan was their manager come to mind.
This user liked this post: billyhamilton82

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 pm

NL Claret wrote:The 1980 game featured in the biggest away followings thread a few weeks back. It was controversial in that their goal was caught by Stevenson and from memory he bounced the ball on the goal line and it was awarded. No goal line technology in them days.

The weather for 1988 was bad, it was blowing a gale, it was seriously strong and dangerous wind! Probably did us a favour as Bury were a league above. Robinson would have been at Bury then. Gigg Lane was not a happy hunting ground for us. 4-2 Boxing Day and a 1-0 defeat when Stan was their manager come to mind.
The Sherpa Van win away was my sister`s first experience of watching the Clarets. She was HOOKED aft that! Paul Comstive. He could play `the Hendrick role` :D

Working_Class_Zero
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Working_Class_Zero » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Scunthorpe 2-1 Burnley May 6th 2000 - Promotion game
Scunthorpe 1-1 Burnley (Scunthorpe win 5-4 on penalties) 23rd Jan 2001 - Payton substituted when heading to penalties.

Working_Class_Zero
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Working_Class_Zero » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:35 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:Carlisle '92......who had a Jimmy Mullen mask? :D
https://youtu.be/0RlSQDk4ITY

Great days. Jimmy Mullen masks and shellsuits!