Holiday Resort Recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Holiday Resort Recommendations

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Hoping you good people have knowledge of/can recommend any European resorts?

Three couples (mid-late 30's) with children aged 2-10 looking to go in a self catering villa. The 'problem' is, we are curently faced with LOTS of choice and don't know too much about a lot of the resorts we are looking at. Would be nice to be near a beach and also be close to a relatively lively resort (taking into account the age of the kids) with choice of restaurants and bars.

Always good to know if any others have had similar holidays and found a little gem of a resort....

Thanks in advance :)

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Holiday Resort Recommendations

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:51 pm

when our kids were young we went to Mallorca a few times - Puerto Pollensa.
Usually 3 families with a couple of kids each.
Rented lots of nice villas - its a really lovely area. Loads of nice restaurants - kid friendly and beaches.

Old town Pollensa is nearby and Alcudia is only a few miles - its busier but the beaches are nicer / bigger. Alcudia is not quite as upmarket as Puerto Pollensa but it`s still nice.

South of France renting villas or farmhouses is also great - probably for kids a bit older and not a beach type holiday. For views, restaurants, and beautiful villages you`d be pushed to find anywhere better in Europe.
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Great reply - thanks for the info.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I would offer up three choices
1. Normandy, particularly near to Bayeaux. You're in striking distance of Paris, beaches, history (from 1066 to WW2), amazing castles
2. West or south of Barcelona. Striking distance of a great city, great interior behind it with some good trips out, beaches, and a theme park
3. Florence area. Not just amazing scenery surrounding it, culture and history, but striking distance to other beautiful Tuscany areas, such as Siena, and beaches

Bit of a theme above :)

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Hoping you good people have knowledge of/can recommend any European resorts?

Three couples (mid-late 30's) with children aged 2-10 looking to go in a self catering villa. The 'problem' is, we are curently faced with LOTS of choice and don't know too much about a lot of the resorts we are looking at. Would be nice to be near a beach and also be close to a relatively lively resort (taking into account the age of the kids) with choice of restaurants and bars.

Always good to know if any others have had similar holidays and found a little gem of a resort....

Sidari, Corfu, lively but not too lively. To be honest, pick a resort you think you might like then check the trip advisor forums. Usually a sub forum on every resort. You will then get a good idea of cost, weather, atmosphere etc. More advice than you could ever pick up on here.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Clarinetclaret wrote:Sidari, Corfu, lively but not too lively. To be honest, pick a resort you think you might like then check the trip advisor forums. Usually a sub forum on every resort. You will then get a good idea of cost, weather, atmosphere etc. More advice than you could ever pick up on here.
We will do that, thanks.

It’s just nice when somebody has actually been to a certain resort and they are happy to give it the thumbs up.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2937 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm

First Choice holiday villages are excellent for young kids.
Expensive initially but they really are 'all-inclusive'

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Re Bayeux, great place for lots of history but i dont think it the ideal place for kids to visit - if you are going to France, got to Disney.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Hoping you good people have knowledge of/can recommend any European resorts?

Check Air BnB for a villa - make sure it's a kid friendly one.

Would it not be better to maybe go all inclusive with kids as they can run around and have as many drinks/ice creams as they want (it adds up over a week or two paying for them). My sister has 2 kids and would go self catering and has found she's saved a fair bit by doing an all inc place.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Also maybe look at Gouvez in Crete - it's far enough away from Malia to stay quiet yet close enough if you fancy a trip over for a night out/to be a proper Brit tourist. Lots to do all over the island historically also.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:58 pm

The Isabel Hotel, Costa Adeje in Tenerife. We’ve been for the last few years (usually we go all inclusive but you can go self catering and everyone gets breakfast) and our kids, now 10 and 7, adore it.

Great resort, great hotel, great weather - You name it. And no water park comes close to Siam Park!!!!

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Check Air BnB for a villa - make sure it's a kid friendly one.

Would it not be better to maybe go all inclusive with kids as they can run around and have as many drinks/ice creams as they want (it adds up over a week or two paying for them). My sister has 2 kids and would go self catering and has found she's saved a fair bit by doing an all inc place.
We have tried all inclusive and whilst it has its obvious advantages we just fancy having our own place/space this time. Don’t mind buying in food/drinks/ice creams but also wouldn’t mind venturing out for a few evenings.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:46 pm

St Anne's.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:We have tried all inclusive and whilst it has its obvious advantages we just fancy having our own place/space this time. Don’t mind buying in food/drinks/ice creams but also wouldn’t mind venturing out for a few evenings.
If you do end up fancying Crete - this thread was up not long ago to give you some extra info.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... te#p578013

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:The Isabel Hotel, Costa Adeje in Tenerife. We’ve been for the last few years (usually we go all inclusive but you can go self catering and everyone gets breakfast) and our kids, now 10 and 7, adore it.

Great resort, great hotel, great weather - You name it. And no water park comes close to Siam Park!!!!
And the kids will think they’re staying on the flintstones set. Nice hotel, good food and accommodation. Close to a really nice beach, cafes/bars/restaurants, Siam or the old water park which is better for young uns, boat trips, loro Parque. The resort has everything...I’ll be there later this week 8-)

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:39 pm

It's great walking into town with your All inclusive wristband on and receiving all the evils from bar and cafe owners.
It's like you have the plague.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:And the kids will think they’re staying on the flintstones set. Nice hotel, good food and accommodation. Close to a really nice beach, cafes/bars/restaurants, Siam or the old water park which is better for young uns, boat trips, loro Parque. The resort has everything...I’ll be there later this week 8-)
I think we’ve been there 5 or 6 times now, plus this year. I know that sounds sad but the kids love it and they vote for it every year - it really does have everything you could wish for, as loyalclaret rightly points out. It’s laid out like a Spanish village and the kids will be safe to wander about and can’t wander out of the hotel etc.

Definitely worth considering!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:The Isabel Hotel, Costa Adeje in Tenerife. We’ve been for the last few years (usually we go all inclusive but you can go self catering and everyone gets breakfast) and our kids, now 10 and 7, adore it.

Agree re Adeje never had a bad holiday there or any of the Canary Isles TBH.Just do a bit of homework and I study independent reviews such as trip advisor.

Ayamonte
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Ayamonte » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Agree with TVC regarding Puerto Pollensa. Not been for years but what a great area and the old town of Pollensa is a delight. Beautiful villas, magnificent bay with shallow water. Formentor just a boat ride away or a drive over the mountain. Drive over the mountains to Fornalutx, the prettiest village in Spain and then on to Soller. Alternatively, take a look at Carvoeiro on the Algarve. Beautiful villas, great restaurants, the square next to the beach comes alive in the evening as the light fades with music, dance and entertainment. Plenty of video clips on youtube to view and check out Trustpilot.

Crewe claret
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Crewe claret » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm

When the kids were young we went to Son Bou on the south coast of Minorca and they had the time of their lives, over 2 km of soft clean beach, a water park at San Jamie and entertainment for all the family without it being too crowded definitely recommend it

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 pm

It's always difficult giving recommendations as everybody's tastes are different. Must say we've been to Mallorca many times. We generally stay in Playa de Muro just outside Alcudia. Good little place away from the hustle and bustle of Alcudia but central for going up the coast to Puerto Pollensa, Formentor and down into the mountain region of the west coast. As TVC15 has stated, the town of Pollensa is a real jewel in the crown. I like going on a Saturday morning and watch the place wake up. One of the joys of life. Los Gigantes in Tenerife is another of our favourite places but like I say each to their own.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Cephalonia beautiful island with lots to see,you will love the place

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:18 am

Loyalclaret wrote:And the kids will think they’re staying on the flintstones set. Nice hotel, good food and accommodation. Close to a really nice beach, cafes/bars/restaurants, Siam or the old water park which is better for young uns, boat trips, loro Parque. The resort has everything...I’ll be there later this week 8-)
Enjoy!

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:06 am

If going all inclusive I was once told to never go less than 4* and I've never had a bad one yet. Food and places have been great and we've been to a few now.

longside72
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by longside72 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 am

Montenegro is fantastic , me and the mrs went last year after finding flights at £60 something quid ( skyscanner ) then found a villa with communal swimming pool ( booking dot com ) about £200 i think . Enjiyed it that much we stayed another week , found one way flights back to manchester £25 ( skyscanner ).
Never thought of going there but cricketfieldclarets put me onto it , one of the best places i have been ( apart from bacup ) :lol: :lol: :lol: