Credit Card Fraud

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
upanatem
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Credit Card Fraud

Post by upanatem » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm

My wife went into our credit card A/C yesterday online to pay a bill and the A/C was frozen. She telephoned them to ask why, and was told that they had just put a 'stop' on the A/C because MasterCard had informed them that our card details were found on a compromised website. Apparently quite a few other account holders' details were found on the the same site.

I subscribed to Sportsmania for a period and did not renew in January when they only accepted payment by bitcoin, and was wondering whether this might be the source. This is not an accusation, just conjecture. Has anyone else experienced similar?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Credit Card Fraud

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Suspect it will be. Can't believe how many people (not a dig btw) are so naive to pay for so much with their cards without checking the security of it.

Sportsmania, a service that effectively lets you illegally stream content. People may as well send their bank account number and mothers maiden name to the Nigerian bloke who emails once in a while saying you have inherited some gold.

JimmyMac'sMate
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by JimmyMac'sMate » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Cricket field clarets sounds like a man about town utc

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Suspect it will be. Can't believe how many people (not a dig btw) are so naive to pay for so much with their cards without checking the security of it.

Sportsmania, a service that effectively lets you illegally stream content. People may as well send their bank account number and mothers maiden name to the Nigerian bloke who emails once in a while saying you have inherited some gold.
"What if there actually is one legit Nigerian billionaire prince who genuinely needs to use my bank account?"

Spotted this on factual franks FB the other day :lol:
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Suspect it will be. Can't believe how many people (not a dig btw) are so naive to pay for so much with their cards without checking the security of it.

Willo who runs the SM site is based in and around there too haha
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 pm

JimmyMac'sMate wrote:Cricket field clarets sounds like a man about town utc
He's served his apprenticeship.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 pm

If anyone is concerned I can check for you free of charge. Just send me your card details .
princeoneborneveryminute@nigeriaisfine.co.ng
These 3 users liked this post: starting_11 tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by starting_11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Presumably they had to use a card processor so I doubt they'd have access to the details anyway.

Could be a keylogger, employee stealing data at Mcard or someone whos hacked a database.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

cutsy123 wrote:Willo who runs the SM site is based in and around there too haha
An SM site? No wonder people's credit cards are tied up.
This user liked this post: Goobs

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 pm

I always pay via Paypal if there's an option to do so. Even moreso if I was paying for something from a company I don't know much/anything about. Most reputable sites will nowadays give that as an option. You can then cancel the payment through Paypal when you wish to stop using the service. If they don't allow Paypal, that can often raise an eyebrow.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Sidney1st wrote:"What if there actually is one legit Nigerian billionaire prince who genuinely needs to use my bank account?"

Spotted this on factual franks FB the other day :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cutsy123
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 351 times

Post by cutsy123 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Hipper wrote:An SM site? No wonder people's credit cards are tied up.
Sportsmania is run by a guy called willo and his servers are in nigeria or surrounding areas

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:05 pm

cutsy123 wrote:
Sportsmania is run by a guy called willo and his servers are in nigeria or surrounding areas
Whooosh!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets lesxdp

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:07 pm

"An SM site? No wonder people's credit cards are tied up"

Its a spanking new site though.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Sportsmania payment was done through one of the proper payment portals (Stripe or Worldpay maybe), they wouldn't have access to any card details. I imagine their current problems are that they can't get any of the companies to process payments for them now.

More likely it was some little web store who processed their own card payments, stored your card details in plain text on their server and got hacked. Pre-paid cards such as Revolut where you can top them up just to the level you want to spend and freeze the card can be useful for protecting yourself.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah, Sportsmania used Worldpay, and that's fully legit.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Within the last 4 months I have had my Nat West chip n pin card compromised twice - the first time it happened Nat West fraud rang me to tell me about some activity that had been brought to their attention - they went through recent transactions with me confirming whether I recognised them or not - there were 3 that definitely were not mine so my card was cancelled and they issued me with a new one. The second time, about 2 months later I notice a Netflix payment on our account which was nothing to do with us. I rang the bank and it was duly sorted out and refunded, card cancelled again and another issued. I asked the lady I spoke to why this might have happened to me twice within a short space of time - after years of banking with not a hint of a problem, - the only think I was doing different was to start using contactless payment more. She suggested I was just unlucky but she did say that since she went to work within that department she herself was very careful where she shopped on line, and never used contactless payment.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12496 times

Post by Leisure » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:02 pm

What is the issue/problem with using contactless payment?

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 pm

What is the issue/problem with using contactless payment?
I am not sure whether there is or isn't an issue, but I thought it odd since I started to use Contactless my card has been compromised twice, and the lady in the Fraud dept of Nat West didn't sound keen.
There are/have been articles about card readers etc picking up details.....how true these reports are I don't know, but just gave me something to think about, and I don't use contactless myself now.
This user liked this post: Leisure

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:42 pm

The small, strange payments like Netflix and similar are tests by the new number holder to see if the number still works. They buy lists (but don't have cards yet) and go through testing each one by trying to purchase small items online.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

It's nothing to do with contactless transactions

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Theoretically you can get the long card number and expiry date from a card using a contactless reader. It won't have the security code or your address so it should be somewhat limited on what the info can be used for.

I'm not sure if there are any reports of it actually happening in the real world though.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I got one the other day from a women in India who said her mother died of cancer so she inherited a fortune but decided to give it me..... :lol:

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Several years back I got a call from Nat West: "Had I received my new credit card?" I'd rec'd new card a couple of months earlier, so replied "yes, I've had it a couple of months." They said, "No, did you get your new card yesterday?" Of course, I answered "no." They then asked "did you withdraw £1,500 in USD from Thomas Cook in Croydon?" I answered "no, I don't live or work anywhere near Croydon." They then asked, "And, did you withdraw a further (approx.) £1,500 in USD (or perhaps the second currency was Euros) from M&S Travel Bureau?" Of course, I answered "no" again.

It turned out that someone had got my card details (possibly a Nat West inside job?) and had gone into a Nat West bank in Croydon to say he needed a new card. They said, "No problem. We can get one in a couple of days. Please bring your passport with you when you come in to collect it."

So, that's what happened, someone had a passport with my name on it - but, his own photo - and he collected the new credit card. Then he rushed into Thomas Cook and withdrew a lot of foreign currency - and 20 minutes later did the same at M&S.

Nat West then thought, "hmm, Paul Waine doesn't normally withdraw cash on his credit card." (Well, who would, the extremely high interest rates they charge). So, they gave me a call - and only then did I learn that someone else had obtained a credit card in my name.

We went through all the "fraud procedures." Local police weren't interested "it's not you that have been defrauded, it's Nat West in Southend, or wherever they are..." Also not interested that someone had a fake passport "he will have dumped it as soon as he had the money...."

Nat West cancelled my cards - and cancelled the fraudulent charges to my account. They did run a check that no one who knew me had been part of the fraud - I had to send them a copy of my passport and make statements and so on...

Then a new replacement credit card arrived - followed by a further set of credit cards - which I'd not asked for. Seemed Nat West wanted me to have both Visa and MasterCard cards. And, then we talked about passwords - and all Nat West wanted was "mother's maiden name." So, then I closed my Nat West credit card account - and told them that their security was weak.

Postscript: A couple of years later I read a report of a number of people being sentenced to jail - they'd been operating in Croydon area - creating fake passports and using them to obtain copies of credit cards.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:24 pm

KRBFC wrote:I got one the other day from a women in India who said her mother died of cancer so she inherited a fortune but decided to give it me..... :lol:
The Walker Trust got one similar a few years back. Savvy bunch though, they managed to palm their football club onto them in return.