Burnley v Manchester City - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Burnley v Manchester City - Player Ratings

Post by MACCA » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Leisure wrote:Quote MACCA
Bardsley 4 rightly hooked, shocking Quote

A 4! Not a great game but a 4. Seriously!
Yes. Caught out 3 times, nearly leading to a goal. Offered JBG zero support, he can inside time and time again as there 2as never an overlap or support.

4 is rated as poor, he had a poor game, got hooked of Dyche, so seems he agreed Bardsley wasn't having an "average or "good game.

I use the basis off what the scores 3-10 mean as listed. I can't rate any as 9, as IMO no one impressed me that much for 90 minutes to be described as excellent. Think the goal has masked a few performances and clouded a few views. Only my opinion mind

Jimscho
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Jimscho » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

MACCA wrote:Yes. Caught out 3 times, nearly leading to a goal. Offered JBG zero support, he can inside time and time again as there 2as never an overlap or support.

4 is rated as poor, he had a poor game, got hooked of Dyche, so seems he agreed Bardsley wasn't having an "average or "good game.

I use the basis off what the scores 3-10 mean as listed. I can't rate any as 9, as IMO no one impressed me that much for 90 minutes to be described as excellent. Think the goal has masked a few performances and clouded a few views. Only my opinion mind
What's it like to be in a minority of 1.
This user liked this post: Leisure

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm

MACCA wrote:Yes. Caught out 3 times, nearly leading to a goal. Offered JBG zero support, he can inside time and time again as there 2as never an overlap or support.

Was injured wasn't he?
This user liked this post: Leisure

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Pope 8
Bardsley 7
Long 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
Cork 8
Hendrick 7
JBG 8
Lennon 8
Barnes 8
Vokes 8 (MOM)

Lowton 8

Wow! End to end stuff, especially in the second half. Both teams looked like they could score as both defences were quite easily opened up. City had long periods of domination, but if you don't get the second goal and put teams away.....!! Burnley were absolutely excellent to a man and hung in and hung in and actually made chances (for a change) and were always dangerous going forward! A very well deserved point and absolutely "over the moon" here!!

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1131 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 pm

From TV.

Pope 8
Bardsley 6
Long 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 9
Cork 8
Lennon 8
Hendrick 7
Barnes 7
Vokes 8

Lowton 9

I thought the game turned with the introduction of Lowton. His cross for the goal, just superb. Superbly finished by JBG. Kevin Long was outstanding, especially in the air, ok a bit late with those two tackles. Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. Phil Neville and Andy Townsend said afterwards that “Burnley were superb, alway on the front foot”. An excellent night. UTC

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 am

Pope 8

Bardsley 7
Long 7
Mee 8
Taylor 9 - thought he was excellent at keeping his man on his weaker foot throughout and starting to show his crossing ability.

Gudmundsson 9 MOM a fantastic all-action and all-ability player
Cork 8
Hendrick 7 - he had an excellent spell mid-match but other than that thought he did add much physicality
Lennon 8 - looks a good `un and the thought of him linking up with Lowton is exciting.

Barnes 8
Vokes 8 - thought his effectiveness was on the wane mid game but came back strongly.

Lowton 9 - a SUPERB substitute performance which pretty much got us back in the game. A fantastic cross (certainly has those in his locker!) for the goal. Lowton, unlike Bardsley, has the ability to affect a game.

REALLY pleased that Dyche made the tactical changes and (forced?) substitution that he did. A proud day to be a Claret.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 am

You have every right to give Bardsley a `4` if you thought he had a POOR game. That`s what you are instructed to do in the ratings. Ignore `em. I don`t agree with your assessment but it is not my opinion so bugger all to do with me.

SpringHillClaret
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 38 times

Post by SpringHillClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 am

All the way from Brisbane, thanks to live coverage on SBS.

Pope 8 - Couldn't do anything about the goal. Some great saves and improved distribution.
Bardsley 6 - Caught out of position too often at this level and his performance was certainly put in context when Lowton arrived.
Long 7 - An outstanding third choice CB. We can all see why SD didn't spend £15 on Holding or £12 on Worrall when you have this guy in reserve
Mee 8 - Typically solid and unlucky not to score on two occasions.
Taylor 9 - Just gets better and better. A steal at £5 million and his class on the ball, and pace. We aren't missing Ward as much as I thought we would.
Cork 8 - Back to his best? started the season with a real swagger to his performances and beginning to reach those heights again.
Hendrick 7 - More effective in a traditional midfield four. With some confidence will come better performances.
JBG 9 (MOM) - What a player. Would be a star in a top six team and deserves an extra point for that finish.
Lennon 7 - Grew into the game after a quiet start. Much more effective when he swapped sides and will no doubt get better for us.
Barnes 8 - I'd hate to play against him. He's so important for us and how we play. His ability to hold up the ball is far more important to our ability to transition than many give him credit for.
Vokes 7 - Big, strong and muscular but much more effective with an Ings or Grey character alongside him than Barnes. Typical shift from the big man.

Lowton 8 - Made a huge difference in difference. Made an even bigger difference in attack. Why oh why has it taken so long for him to reappear?

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 am

Pope 8
Bardsley 6
Long 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Cork 8
Lennon 8
Hendrick 7
Barnes 6
Vokes 7

Lowton 8
Magic :D

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 am

Jimscho wrote:What's it like to be in a minority of 1.
Shepherd, not a sheep you see ;)
HiroshimaClaret wrote:You have every right to give Bardsley a `4` if you thought he had a POOR game. That`s what you are instructed to do in the ratings. Ignore `em. I don`t agree with your assessment but it is not my opinion so bugger all to do with me.
I just think the Sterling miss has masked some posters scores, he rolls that in an it ends 2-0 and i doubt there would be a score above 7, and plenty of 5's knocking about.
Good for us he didn't, and the players involved in changing that score or keeping it 1-1, earned the extra marks.

How some can find 9's for some players baffles me, but I wont start pulling apart posts.
If we ever did win 3 or 4-0 in this league, we would have to maybe increase the rating marks to 15 for some posters.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 am

taio wrote:Was injured wasn't he?
Thank goodness, he was getting run ragged, more negative contributions than positive in that first half to go with the ones at Newcastle, Palace and Man Utd.
The Lowton sub and the change of wingers sides changed the game IMO.
Let's hope it is now Lowts shirt to lose.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 am

Pope 8
Bardsley 7
Long 8*
Mee 8
Taylor 8
JBG 8
Cork 8
Lennon 7
Hendrick 7
Barnes 7
Vokes 8

Lowton 8

It was another performance that made me stand up at the end and be loud and proud.

UTC

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 am

MACCA wrote:Shepherd, not a sheep you see ;)

I just think the Sterling miss has masked some posters scores, he rolls that in an it ends 2-0 and i doubt there would be a score above 7, and plenty of 5's knocking about.
Good for us he didn't, and the players involved in changing that score or keeping it 1-1, earned the extra marks.

How some can find 9's for some players baffles me, but I wont start pulling apart posts.
If we ever did win 3 or 4-0 in this league, we would have to maybe increase the rating marks to 15 for some posters.
Maybe the Player ratings thread should read like this to avoid all arguments -

`Please leave your scores for the game. For your information, Pope was very good, Lowton was excellent, Hendrick was out of this world, Barnes was good, Mee was excellent` and so on and so forth... ;)

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am

Yeah :lol: :lol:

Was the same t'other week. Some posters opinions of 5's for certain players was ok and the "correct" score, yet other players opinions on other players scores of 5 were head scratching, laughable and agenda driven...

Yet when the average rating and MOM votes came out it certainly showed the weakest players, and it had been similar for nearly 6 matches.

I opt to use the rating according to what it's outlined to mean and then what I think the player has done.
I thought Bardsley was poor( a 4 ), some thought he played good ( a 7 )
That's fair play, I wouldn't start pulling them posters a part.

On that basis he'd only need an assist for a 10, yet for a 3 he would need 2 own goals, cost us a further 2 goals and a sent of for spitting at Dyche.

Aren't opinions great eh

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 am

MACCA wrote:Yeah :lol: :lol:

Was the same t'other week. Some posters opinions of 5's for certain players was ok and the "correct" score, yet other players opinions on other players scores of 5 were head scratching, laughable and agenda driven...

Yet when the average rating and MOM votes came out it certainly showed the weakest players, and it had been similar for nearly 6 matches.

I opt to use the rating according to what it's outlined to mean and then what I think the player has done.
I thought Bardsley was poor( a 4 ), some thought he played good ( a 7 )
That's fair play, I wouldn't start pulling them posters a part.

On that basis he'd only need an assist for a 10, yet for a 3 he would need 2 own goals, cost us a further 2 goals and a sent of for spitting at Dyche.

Aren't opinions great eh
The only time my wife has ever got above a `7` was the birth of our two children then she scored a 500. No man would ever do that!!!! :oops:

Sfw4672

Post by Sfw4672 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 am

All round great team performance. Dug in when needed, direct when needed and some good football when could.
Pope 7- This guy has done amazing, looked apprehensive when first came in but that's understandable. Got to be considered for England.
Bardsley 6- tries and also combatitive.
Long 7- solid if unspectacular.
Mee 7- underrated English centre back another that's got to be considered for England.
Taylor 7- sometimes his passing is not the best however he can't half cross a ball.
Cork 7- kept us ticking over and looked more energetic than of late.
Hendrick 7- never a number 10 and wasted in that position. Does better when he can get his foot on ball.
Lennon 7- keep him on the right. How good will he get with more game time.
Gudmondson 8- great finish and covered a lot of ground epitome of what we are.
Barnes 7- always gives his all and relieves pressure with his pest nature.
Vokes 7- if the wide men produces crosses in to the box he will score. Better option playing him as a two
Lowton 8- read the game well and produced a great cross for goal.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am

MACCA wrote:How some can find 9's for some players baffles me, but I wont start pulling apart posts.
This boils down to expectations though, doesn't it? It's been clear for some time that yours are much higher than mine, for example.

I'd say drawing 1-1 with possibly the best club team this country has ever seen is equivalent to us winning 3 or 4 nil against an average team at this level. Sure, if Sterling had has made it 2-0 we'd have been out of it, but equally the only reason it wasn't already 1-1 was a save from the very highest drawer.

I take that into account in rating players, personally. I guess peoples ratings reflect the extent to which they make allowances for who we are playing.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am

I disagree with MACCA. Yes if Sterling wasn't Mr Magoo and could actually roll a ball into an empty net then it's 2-0 and game over, BUT I for one, and I believe most others on here would still be giving high scores out (like the UTD home game) because we DID play well and when we DID manage to get the ball we actually took the game to them and looked dangerous against absolutely the best team in the league and that would have earned high scores regardless of the result.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am

claretspice wrote:This boils down to expectations though, doesn't it? It's been clear for some time that yours are much higher than mine, for example.

I'd say drawing 1-1 with possibly the best club team this country has ever seen is equivalent to us winning 3 or 4 nil against an average team at this level. Sure, if Sterling had has made it 2-0 we'd have been out of it, but equally the only reason it wasn't already 1-1 was a save from the very highest drawer.

I take that into account in rating players, personally. I guess peoples ratings reflect the extent to which they make allowances for who we are playing.
And you`re both entitled to your opinions without other people abusing you, some who should know better or because of their position, acting in a more neutral way. Calling a person`s rating `idiotic` should be unacceptable.
This user liked this post: Raggus

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Brilliant game against a brilliant team.
One of the most enjoyable home games I have been on in 40 years - in the context of who we were playing.
My scores definitely reflect the quality of the opposition.
Pope 7- another very good game
Bardsley 5 - just think his limitations were all there to see with the contrast of what Lowton did in the second half.
Long 7- surprises me every week with his performances and how far he seems to have developed this season
Mee 8- played every bit as well as City`s centre backs,
Taylor 8 - great game and getting more and more confident. Starting to make great overlaps and dangerous crosses.
Cork 8 - great second half especially. I honestly think that having Lowton in the team makes Cork play better. Lowton gives him an outlet.
Hendrick 7- better in midfield
Lennon 8- thought he was class with a brilliant attitude. Combination with Lowton looks exciting.
Gudmondson 8- another great game. Become a very important player for us. How much did he cost ? Daylight robbery !!
Barnes 7- he`s earned his money this week
Vokes 7- played well and won lots in the air.
Lowton 9 (MoM)- rarely given a sub MoM but I thought he was brilliant and he changed the game for us. Brilliant cross for the goal, great combination with Lennon, and even a Tripps back spin style pass down the wing in the second half.

Gonna enjoy watching the game and interviews this week.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Pope 7

Bardsley 6
Long 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8

Gudmundsson 8
Cork 9
Hendrick 6
Lennon 7

Barnes 6
Vokes 9

Lowton 8

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Pope 7

Bardsley 5
Long 7
Mee 8
Taylor 8

Lennon 7
Hendrick 7
Cork 8
JBG 8

Barnes 6
Vokes 8

Lowton 8

Special mention to Cork and Hendrick who were completely over-ran and out-numbered all afternoon but showed great attitude to keep going.

claretdons
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by claretdons » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Pope 8
Bardsley 7
Long 8
Mee 8
Taylor 8
Gudmundsson 9
Cork 8
Hendrick 7
Lennon 8
Barnes 7
Vokes 7

Lowton 9

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Pope 8
Bardsley 7
Long 7
Mee 7
Taylor 8
JBG 9
Cork 8
Lennon 8
Hendrick 7
Barnes 7
Vokes 8
Lowton 8

When the City keeper got the ball, the two centre halves would drop right back one on each side of the area and they were quite happy playing it around their own area to force us to push up. Once the midfield was opened up they'd bomb forward like a counter-attacking team. Great to watch and I think SD got the tactics spot on today by playing two up front to lead the press. We stood off them a bit in the first half, withstood an onslaught at the start of the second and deserved an equaliser with the way that we played in the last 20 minutes. And very little cheating today - a proper football match.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Pope 8
Bardsley 7
Long 9
Mee 9
Taylor 8
JBG 9
Cork 9
Lennon 8
Hendrick 7
Barnes 8
Vokes 8

Lowton 8

Brilliant.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Pope 8 - dominant and pulled off an amazing save
Bardsley 7 - much better than Newcastle
Long 8 - solid and resiliant
mee 8 - defended very well
Taylor 8 - superb - marshalled silca very well
JBG 8 (mom) - slow to get goimg fir firat 20 or so but grew into thr game superbly
Hendrick 7 - looks more comfortable deeper
Cork 7 - grew into thw game
Lennon 8 - some terrific touches and denied a goal by a worldy save
Barnes 7 - used the ball well
Vokes 7 - good shift

Lowton 7 - excellent - linked with Lebnon well.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Sproggy wrote: When the City keeper got the ball, the two centre halves would drop right back one on each side of the area and they were quite happy playing it around their own area to force us to push up. Once the midfield was opened up they'd bomb forward like a counter-attacking team. Great to watch and I think SD got the tactics spot on today by playing two up front to lead the press. We stood off them a bit in the first half, withstood an onslaught at the start of the second and deserved an equaliser with the way that we played in the last 20 minutes. And very little cheating today - a proper football match.
This. Our tactics were spot on. Stay in the game and puah hard in the final 20

Jase_H
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Jase_H » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Pope 7
Bardsley 6
Long 7
Mee 8
Taylor *8*
Guðmundsson 8
Hendrick 7
Cork 8
Lennon 8
Vokes 8
Barnes 7

Lowton 8

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Pope 7
Bardsley 6
Long 9*
Mee 8
Taylor 7
JBG 8
Cork 8
Lennon 8
Hendrick 6
Barnes 7
Vokes 6

Lowton 8

Great result. We looked in awe in the first hour and almost let them do what they want (but defended very well generally). Once we got that belief, we stood toe-to-toe with them. Maybe the fact we've had so many injuries and new players into the team has meant that we have lacked a bit of the confidence we started the season with, but you cannot deny the effort and with any luck they will take massive confidence from this and get back to winning ways. I gave Long MOM - thought he was excellent against such tough opposition and with limited game time this season, a proper professional who's just gone about his business waiting for his chance

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Pope - 7 - Didn't have to do much so cant really rate higher.
Bardsley - 6 - Can't really complain and put his body on the line
Long - 9 - MOM - I thought he was outstanding, helped keep them quiet. I'm starting to see why Dyche didn't panic buy a defender
Mee - 8 - Fantastic defending, I feel harsh with 8 but it's because of the standards he's set. It's no surprise his last 3 defensive partners all look good.
Taylor - 8 - Getting better every game
Cork - 8 - Kept us ticking along
Hendrick - 7 - Didn't see him do much, right or wrong, though the crowd got frustrated at him not turning and going forward, but the midfield looked solid.
JBG - 8 - Brilliant
Lennon - As above, both wingers caused problems and always looked dangerous along with working hard defensively
Barnes - 7 - Did what Barnes does
Vokes - 7 - With him up front when we went forward you felt there was always a chance of a goal (glad he started)

Lowton - 8 - Fantastic, held off 2 defenders a couple of times and the ball for the goal was first class