Potential Message Board Changes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond

What changes would you prefer to see made to the message board

Poll ended at Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Keep as it is
53%
Split into football/non-football
28%
Split with political/ religious threads moved to a second forum
17%
Other - please specify
2%

Total votes: 373

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Potential Message Board Changes

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Up the Clarets was two years old last month and we've been looking at some potential changes to the message board whilst also considering the ever growing number of problems now being encountered from some posters, none more so than the constant bickering between some of them which is unnecessary and is causing others not to use the board as much.

We will be looking to add a couple of moderators to help with the management of the board in that respect and if anyone is interested in taking on the responsibility they can contact us via admin at uptheclarets dot com.

For now, we'd like your thoughts on whether you think the board should remain as it is, with one forum, or whether we should split it.

As such, could you please vote in the poll below.
These 4 users liked this post: turfytopper Claret-On-A-T-Rex claretburns superdimitri

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Re: Potential Message Board Changes

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Agree re "constant bickering" (and more). I wonder whether we can improve this situation by listing who has been suspended from posting - and what earned the suspension.
These 7 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Claretsparky Claret-On-A-T-Rex Caballo Burnleyareback2 THEWELLERNUT70 Imploding Turtle

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Just get rid of that stupid pop up for over 50s or tyres
These 2 users liked this post: Bcap1959 Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm

dpinsussex wrote:Just get rid of that stupid pop up for over 50s or tyres
Can we widen the area for the over 50's first?

Asking for a friend.
These 4 users liked this post: Rick_Muller The Enclosure Chip Harrison lesxdp

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Not being able to respect opinions that are not always agreed with, is a problem for this and the other site. It's not a problem just disagreeing the a poster, it normally involves personal insults.
The way Ablue Claret is abused is disgraceful, he may say things which you think is rubbish, but he is always polite, never retaliates and articulate. If you don't agree with him, say why, don't throw personal insults
These 18 users liked this post: HiroshimaClaret Claretsparky JohnMac Bcap1959 Chester Perry spadesclaret Sausage NRC winsomeyen BertiesBeehole LeadBelly atlantalad RMutt ClaretMoffitt Raggus jjclaret ArmchairDetective COYC73

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:As such, could you please vote in the poll below.
Sorry but can't find the poll below?

EDIT - The poll suddenly appeared at the top!
This user liked this post: gtclaret

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm

gtclaret wrote:Not being able to respect opinions that are not always agreed with, is a problem for this and the other site. It's not a problem just disagreeing the a poster, it normally involves personal insults.
The way Ablue Claret is abused is disgraceful, he may say things which you think is rubbish, but he is always polite, never retaliates and articulate. If you don't agree with him, say why, don't throw personal insults
Part of the issue with abc is the 5 threads saying virtually the same thing posted either on the same day or over a couple of days.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Can I suggest one thing when you review the results. I think the group of people in favour of a 'split' will have their vote split (irony eh) between the two 'split' options. For example I wasn't sure which one to go for.

So perhaps a more broad 'split' versus 'keep the same' then if the combined 'split' vote is above 50% then look into which split option was more popular?
These 8 users liked this post: NewForestClaret turfytopper Foshiznik evensteadiereddie Colburn_Claret BertiesBeehole Holmeclaret THEWELLERNUT70

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:07 pm

I think it would be a good idea to split the place, most forums do the same when I've visited others and it doesn't seem to create an issue.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Falcon wrote:Can I suggest one thing when you review the results. I think the group of people in favour of a 'split' will have their vote split (irony eh) between the two 'split' options. For example I wasn't sure which one to go for.

So perhaps a more broad 'split' versus 'keep the same' then if the combined 'split' vote is above 50% then look into which split option was more popular?
Hopefully it's a clear result either way or the losing side will be demanding a new vote :D
These 3 users liked this post: Damo BertiesBeehole PaintYorkClaretnBlue

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I think the poll is a good idea but I fear the status quo will prevail despite there being a majority wanting to change the board. The pro change vote will be split across options 2 and 3. Wouldn't posts falling under option 3 just belong in option 2 anyway, i.e. non-football?

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:09 pm

It would be good to have the first sentance of a post show up as a rollover. This would prevent misleading titles of posts wasting your time
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper Foshiznik

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Please may I have my own section so I needn't have to discuss with the should I say “rats” ie, working class members of the board.

Thank You
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Bcap1959

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm

It's absolutely fine as it is.
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum tiger76

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

. thinks he would be an excellent moderator, and a real fan favourite amongst the regular posters.
These 12 users liked this post: The Enclosure RocketLawnChair Chip Harrison Rick_Muller Foshiznik AndypR6 Claret-On-A-T-Rex BertiesBeehole berbs78 claretburns Shappie MrClaretandBlue

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 pm

I'd ban political and religious threads as they do nothing but sow discontent and the threads tend to get very abusive. Otherwise keep it as it is. Creating different subsections doesn't do a lot because if you use the quick menu to check recent posts they all appear together anyway. Thanks for the good work to date.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Probably best as it is. I might be a good idea to limit how long a message you can post. Sometimes they are like essays and normally in tit for tat posts. Also maybe change it so you can't post one message after another straight away on the same thread. This might help stop two posters hogging a subject to have a two way disagreement.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Maybe a dislike button.

That’d be excellent
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:30 pm

is it a straight majority wins or is there going to be a % required over others
Personally agree a dislike button would be nice

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 pm

The board isn't that popular that topics are dropping off the front page instantly, there's generally a good day or so on the front page so I don't think that's a good reason to split them (a working search function would make it easier to find those that aren't immediately apparent but I understand there are issues with that).

It's normally pretty clear which are the off-topic threads, if people don't want to read them don't click on them.

A bit of merging may help. For instnace until recently all Brexit "discussion" was limited to one thread (which was about 60 pages long). There was a fair bit of pointless bickering on there but it kept it all in one place (until it was closed for some reason).

The mods will also just spend time moving discussions to the other board and fielding questions about why people can't find the thread, etc.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Keep it as it is.

The problem (that is a much wider internet problem, not a UTC issue) will not go away with different boards.

Also, and this is really important, if people used the "mute" button a bit more or actually read the thread title (nothing annoys more than people logging on to say "not this thread again" - don't read or comment on it then!) then a lot of the issues wouldn't be relevant.
This user liked this post: ngsobob

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm

A dislike button isn't constructive.

It's one of the reasons why Facebook decided against it. If person A posts something and poster B dislikes it, it'll just create tension and potentially create even more arguments. A definite no from me, on that one. Plus, I don't think it's part of the phpBB set up, so would require a decent amount of coding.

In the main, I don't think it needs any significant changes. Political/Relgious discussions possibly being put into its own section, because I see them as lose-lose discussions, anyway.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 pm

aggi wrote: A bit of merging may help. For instnace until recently all Brexit "discussion" was limited to one thread (which was about 60 pages long). There was a fair bit of pointless bickering on there but it kept it all in one place (until it was closed for some reason).
Totally agree with that.
At one point we seemed to be getting one or more brexit threads everyday, and then it appeared that the contributors seemed to settle on the one thread rather than having multiple threads running.
I sort of guess why it was closed - because a couple of posters couldn't give up disputing a fairly petty point, but - a bit like WW1- they would finally have battered each other into submission whilst we all looked on.
There's bound to be a new brexit thread shortly, so let's just keep it to the one, even if some posters go a bit over the top. Afterall, if it's clearly marked THE BREXIT THREAD then everyone else can avoid it like the plague.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

The best way to prevent bickering would be to activate the messageboard's private message function.

Moderators can then communicate with troublesome posters privately and warn them that they're overstepping the mark. People can also conduct arguments with individual posters privately if they want to.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:43 pm

This board is fine, but, just like anywhere on the internet, people lose all pretence of civility once a debate reaches a certain point and there is mutual disrespect between many posters.

Tis what it is, and until those responsible alter their tone then it will continue regardless of splitting the forum.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6458 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm

The problem with splitting the board is that there are some subjects that I like but wont get to see if the board is split. I just ignore the threads that annoy me.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm

I'd be more inclined to look at the board on a day-to-day basis if the off-topic stuff was in a separate forum, FWIW. I don't have any interest in coming on here to discuss non-football topics.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:I'd be more inclined to look at the board on a day-to-day basis if the off-topic stuff was in a separate forum, FWIW. I don't have any interest in coming on here to discuss non-football topics.
You do comment on the odd non football topic though mickleover. The "I was out screaming today" reply to Claret and Jew was the funniest post I have personally ever read on this forum, Comedy Gold.
This user liked this post: mickleoverclaret

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:53 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:You do comment on the odd non football topic though mickleover. The "I was out screaming today" reply to Claret and Jew was the funniest post I have personally ever read on this forum, Comedy Gold.
Haha, about as constructive a response as I can muster!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm

kritichris wrote:I'd ban political and religious threads as they do nothing but sow discontent and the threads tend to get very abusive. Otherwise keep it as it is. Creating different subsections doesn't do a lot because if you use the quick menu to check recent posts they all appear together anyway. Thanks for the good work to date.
I'm in favour of the 'split', most other football boards do this, but not at all in support of keeping it football only. When you go to a game with mates do you ONLY talk football? I don't. It depends on the game of course, if it's gripping and edge of seat stuff then football is the only game in town, but if it's like watching paint dry then the attention drifts to other things. The same with a board, sometimes the football side is so quiet that other things should be discussed.
Just a thought.
This user liked this post: berbs78

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Brexit has been a particularly divisive topic on the board but this is to be expected given its continuing divisiveness throughout the country since 2016. I find many non-football topics of interest - photos, history of Burnley as a town, job experiences, holidays, financial advice, school recollections, cricket and many others. Since joining the board I have learnt quite a bit from fellow posters, know which topics and posters to avoid so suggest we leave "well alone". It's not broken so don't mend it. With thankfully few idiots on board we get on quite well and are a generally agreeable community. Carry on campers!
These 6 users liked this post: Foshiznik nil_desperandum Paul Waine berbs78 tiger76 houseboy

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3806 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 pm

I like it as it is but have ignored some of the posts for a while just because of the originator. You know some people are simply spoiling for an argument and others, possibly with a diagnosed syndrome, who will not accept an opinion different to their own.
I dislike the personal attacks from behind a keyboard aimed at all and sundry. On simple posts like 'What will the score be' or What is YOUR team for' there is a tendency for some to turn it into a 'virtual pub brawl' when someone has the temerity to pick a score or team using their OWN differing opinion.

We are all supposed to be fans of the same Club but you wouldn't think so sometimes.

Edit
Just to say thanks to those who make this site possible!

UTC

Longsidejono
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Longsidejono » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Add a dislike button and any that get a certain amount of dislikes gets banned/thread closed!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3188 times
Has Liked: 1869 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:16 pm

I like it as it is. I don't mind the varying topics, as like others have said you don't go to the pub with your mates and just talk about one thing.

What I would like to see though is to see the post originator when viewing on "mobile", like you can on "desktop".

There have been posts I've opened that to be perfectly honest i would have ignored if I'd known who started it.

JohnMac wrote:I like it as it is but have ignored some of the posts for a while just because of the originator. You know some people are simply spoiling for an argument and others, possibly with a diagnosed syndrome, who will not accept an opinion different to their own.
Just seen JohnMac post above and this is what cant do when on mobile :( :lol:
This user liked this post: JohnMac

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm

The site just needs tighter moderation in my opinion.

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Keep it as it is.
I enjoy the mix of football and non-football - it is a good resource for getting quick advice (like where to park/pubs/holidays/etc)
It is easy to ignore daft/controversial topics and polemic contributors (you know who you are!!)
Thanks for the work you do Claret Tony - it is much appreciated. UTC
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Keep it as it is. On a desktop, it's easy enough to see who's posting and skip. Better thread titles would help choice too.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8727 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm

All in. All counts, however, personal abuse from one Claret to anothet, is unacceptable. Warning and out.
This user liked this post: CharlieinNewMexico

uni_queue
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by uni_queue » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Leave As is. Yes, there are issues with some posts but these could be moderated - and they are nothing like as bad as some. if the forum splits then i would tend to scan the football posts for any upto date information \ misinformation and probaby ignore the "sub forums" which would, I suspect quickly reduce in contributor numbers and lack the variety which makes the current board generally "work"
These 2 users liked this post: ngsobob tiger76

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Quite like the forum as it is, allows you to read posts that you would more than likely miss if the forum was split.
Would it be possible to add a key? As in next to the post title to allow readers to see what topic the post is based around (similar way to how some users add O/T to a thread title).

The forum is brilliant how it is though, one of the best in the country. Wouldn't want it changing too much.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11049 times
Has Liked: 5658 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I'd personally like to see it split like the majority of forums. I enjoy some of the non football threads and it's always good to get differing opinions on matters. Those that just want to talk about the footy then have nothing else to worry about. It's a great forum with lots of great posters (even those I disagree with)

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2033 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm

We just need a more visible presence from the mods.

That's not meant as a criticism. I just feel that the very small group of moderators are too widely spread. I welcome an increase of mods.

I would also recommend more communications from Mods regarding bannings, suspensions, thread closures, etc. That might garner more respect and co-operation from those who aren't able to control themselves appropriately on this site.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:57 pm

I see this board as the social media site for folks who are Burnley fans, but who are also members of the Burnley community whether they live locally now or not. I log on for all of the positive reasons above. So keep it as is but explore ways to limit/curb the excessive behaviour and personal abuse.
This user liked this post: KateR

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm

I think a split is a good idea. I still think the same minority will find a way to ruin it though. It’s a shame as it used to be a friendly place to be. Nothing wrong with differences of opinion, but the personal insults are out of order. Fingers crossed we see an improvement.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 pm

A separate Religious/Political forum would be heaven :)

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Ditto- Cobble.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5101 times
Has Liked: 5168 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:10 pm

I like the fact that we can discuss what we like on the board and it doesn't always have to be directly football or BFC related.

Perhaps the threads could be colour co-ordinated to help guide users to the threads they'd be interested in? There are certain posters who only post on football and there are those who prefer a wider choice.

I don't know how practical this suggestion is. Perhaps there could be an option when you start a thread? Claret for football or Blue for anything OT?

Just a suggestion.

As for what to do about the bickering, well ******** started it. Not me.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2033 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 pm

I like the colour coded system actually.

Reddit style labels on the threads to describe the theme/topic, etc. too.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Rowls wrote:I like the fact that we can discuss what we like on the board and it doesn't always have to be directly football or BFC related.

Perhaps the threads could be colour co-ordinated to help guide users to the threads they'd be interested in? There are certain posters who only post on football and there are those who prefer a wider choice.

I don't know how practical this suggestion is. Perhaps there could be an option when you start a thread? Claret for football or Blue for anything OT?

Just a suggestion.

As for what to do about the bickering, well ******** started it. Not me.
Oh you f...... blaming him are yee and what is OT "o'er top"?

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm

I like my football mixed in with politics and other interesting/non-interesting topics, I like the variety.

From the comments though a good amount don't. Maybe the answer is a user-level filter. Threads would need a category (football/politics/other) and users would have a filter. I'd leave mine at 'all', someone else could set theirs to 'football-only'.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret