Lake District walks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Lake District walks

Post by Inchy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Wanting a bit of advice regarding walking up in the Lake District.

Does anyone know a decent 3 hour walk that isn’t too strenuous but takes in some nice views?

I am going on the 12th of March so crap weather could be a factor. I’m not fussed about rain but don’t want to be halfway up a mountain when the snow comes in.

I am planning to stay for a night but not booked anything yet as ideally I will book somewhere near the walk.

Recently did the Kettlewell to Arncliffe and back walk which was ideal distance and difficulty

JimmyMac'sMate
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Lake District walks

Post by JimmyMac'sMate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:02 pm

It will take more than three hours to walk to the lakes be careful don't do to much utc

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

have you done glenridding to howtown on the ferry....walk back round lake to glenridding perhaps 7 or 8 miles...maybe 4 hours....a few b and bs and hotels but they did get flooded so best to book....

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Take a peak (pun) at these Inchy..

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getout ... -district/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Inchy, recommend you book to stay somewhere around Derwentwater, either Keswick or Borrowdale. Then you can pick your walk based on the weather at the time. If the weather is bad, very cold and snowy, you've got a good walk around Derwentwater. If the weather is kinder, you can do Catbells or up the other side to Ashness Bridge, Surprise View (worth it for the "nice views" alone), Watendlath and over the top and down to Borrowdale.

Then, of course, there are the bigger walks/climbs.

Enjoy, whatever you do.

RMutt
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Loughrigg has great views for what is such an easily accessible summit. I’m sure you could make a three hour walk out of it.
These 4 users liked this post: Siddo BarstewardsEnquiry turfytopper dougcollins

lakesider
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by lakesider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Start in Great Langdale valley at the NT car park near Sticklebarn and go anti clockwise in to the adjacent valley via NT campsite, Little Langdale and round to Elterwater and then along the valley floor for a couple of miles and back to the car park. Superb walk, about 8 miles+ and unforgettable, varied views around every corner including the Pikes, Pike of Blisco, Blea Tarn etc. Stop for(picnic) lunch at Slaters Bridge .Or stay at the Old Dungeon Ghyll ( Good wholesome food and a variety of beers) and park up there. Same walk. Can get a bit 'claggy' on the couple of hundred yards from the path to the Wrynose pass road but certainly doable.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:14 pm

The "Coffin Route" at Grasmere is very interesting and has some lovely views without being too strenuous. I've done it numerous times with my wife and haven't ended up in a coffin, neither has she for that matter :D
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

A walk round Lake Elterwater is a nice easy 2 to 3 hour walk. You can start and finish at the Britannia Inn, which has good food and decent local ales.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Head for Haweswater. Go down the road on the south side towards Mardale Head. Walk up to Small Water, circumnavigate and climb up the other side towards High Street. Turn right and walk along the top until you can see Kidsty Pike to your right. Turn right and walk along the ridge until you eventually descend back down to Haweswater. Quite a trek but not overly taxing and with great views. I saw the eagle once from the top of Kidsty Pike, watching it swoop across the valley and then glide in the sunlight in front of the opposite ridge when it suddenly disappeared into the crag where I presumed it was nesting. I spent ages trying to spot it again to no avail. I don’t think they are there anymore but still an exhilarating walk.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Walk around Derwentwater is about that Inchy.

Start in Keswick and end back in Keswick

I wouldn't go on the fells this time of year unless you really know what you are doing and you are comfortable with the terrain and the region you are walking in.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 pm

This book might help, especially if you can get one cheap on Amazon.

Me and the wife (who certainly doesn't like anything too strenuous) have done a few of them and enjoyed them.

I would recommend having an OS map as well as using the maps and directions in the book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lake-District- ... 0749555955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Harter Fell walking up from the Duddon Valley. Great views of the Roman Fort in Eskdale and over to Boot from the summit. Lower level and likely to be clear at that time of the year. About 3 hours up and down. Great little walk.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Haystacks, Wainwright's favourite little mountain. If you are stopping near Keswick you could stop at the Bowder Stone, in passing.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Wainwright has a book about walks in the lake district, I know someone who has done all 214 and has started again.

http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 pm

A few years ago I thought that I should at least repeat some of the hikes I completed as a child. I was dragged up and down all the major Lake District fells by my parents in the mid to late 70's.

I started at one of the easiest which promised excellent views. Orrest Head from Windermere looked fairly tame. A sign at the bottom said it would take about 25 minutes to the top.

My arse, it took me 157 minutes to reach the summit and I missed the panoramic view of Lake Windermere and the mountains due to violent coughing and breathlessness.

It took some help from fellow mountaineers, a farmer and a donkey to effect a rather tricky rescue effort.

Remember, the outdoors are dangerous.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 pm

claret wizard wrote:Harter Fell walking up from the Duddon Valley. Great views of the Roman Fort in Eskdale and over to Boot from the summit. Lower level and likely to be clear at that time of the year. About 3 hours up and down. Great little walk.
Didn’t do anything to strenuous but was in Boot, Eskdale, over New Year. Did this two hour walk (maximum Mrs could do at the time) was very easy but nice enough; https://www.walkscene.co.uk/description ... kdale_boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also had a wander around the Roman fort whilst driving over Hardknott pass

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1301 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm

There are some really good walks suggested on here, especially the walk from Great Langdale through Little Langdale. But the OP wanted a 3 hour walk.

I would suggest parking up at Grasmere and doing the Alcock tarn walk. It's a little bit of a thrutch to start but it's less than 4 miles long and the views over Grasmere once you beyond the tarn are superb.

Whatever you chose, enjoy.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am

I was very fortunate as a teenager to get a sponsorship for the "Outward Bound" Mountain course at Eskdale. It was a months course and pretty tough but I wandered for miles over the Lake District hills and got to love the area. On a clear day a gentle stroll from Wasdale Head up to Sty-Head tarn is a nice walk and you'll be treated to some lovely views of Scafell Pike, Great Gable and Wast Water. I find walking in the Lakes extremely therapeutic.

Joey is no kant
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by Joey is no kant » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05 am

The walk around ennerdale lake is very picturesque it takes about four hours but it is quite easy.

Better Call Saul
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Better Call Saul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Buttermere is a fabulous and easy walk if you stick to the lake side. Bonus is it is a lovely drive to get there once you leave the M6. The walk should take about 2 hours but there is a nice pub next to the car park where you can spend another hour. The view of Haystacks from the start point is awesome but it's a stiff climb if you decided to go to the top.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:40 pm

This walk in the Grange, Borrowdale area is absolutely beautiful. Done it many times myself, one of, if not my most favourite area on earth.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrow ... borrowdale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Hardknott Roman Fort is well worth a visit (as has been said)

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I suppose in part this depends how far you get in 3 hours. There are some fairly chunky walks that a reasonably active person could do in 3 hours - stickle tarn and up onto Harrison Stickle is a lakes classic which is borderline 3 hours for many hours. The Western Lakes are glorious - Yewbarrow in Wasdale a great small hill - but they aren't the most accessible whilst it's dark relatively early.

One shout id make is Silver Howe, above Grasmere. Smallest mountain in the Lakes I think and as an alpine view of Grasmere and the central lakes, its it's just about unbeatable. And most people don't know of it.

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I will do a bit more research into those suggested.

To give more info me and my wife usually walk between 6-8 miles in 3-4 hours. I don’t mind a bit of hard walking but my wife wasn’t a fan of the climb to old cote Moor from Kettlewell. So anything that steep wouldn’t be ideal

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 am

Also I will point out I have zero map reading skills so would have to be a easily defined walk. I am thinking about investing in a few os maps and a compass

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 am

Inchy wrote:Also I will point out I have zero map reading skills so would have to be a easily defined walk. I am thinking about investing in a few os maps and a compass
If you have a smartphone, Ordnance Survey now do an APP. You can download the maps to your phone and can follow your progress. Its £4.99 a month but you can cancel any time.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

1968claret wrote:If you have a smartphone, Ordnance Survey now do an APP. You can download the maps to your phone and can follow your progress. Its £4.99 a month but you can cancel any time.
Just logged on to second this. The GPS means you can see exactly where you are on the map, and therefore whether you are on the path or not. If you aren't a confident map-reader its a great thing to have for reassurance (although I'd always recommend having a paper map as well).

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 am

Er, the signal can get lost in the lakes very easily.

You need a proper map and a compass, and a whistle, and a torch as a must this time of year, even on the lower walks.

From the sound of things Inchy, the Derwentwater around walk would be perfect

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Er, the signal can get lost in the lakes very easily.

You need a proper map and a compass, and a whistle, and a torch as a must this time of year, even on the lower walks.

From the sound of things Inchy, the Derwentwater around walk would be perfect
GPS signal surprisingly reliable Lancaster. But I'd never go out without a paper map as a plan B, its absolutely essential.

From what Inchy says, I agree - the walk along Derwent Water via Watendlath, or possibly the walk from Glenridding to Howtown on Ullswater, sound like good low level walks. If you want to get a bit more of an elevated view, then Cat Bells, Loughrigg and Silver Howe sound like the ticket.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am

You can't go wrong anywhere in the Lakes and some very good suggestions on here. From Coniston up to Tarn Hows, then round the tarn is a good one. Sour Milk Ghyll above Grasmere is also worth a look, especially as the falls will probably be giving it some at this time of year. There is a fairly easy uphill section to the tarn on top and it is worth it when you get there as the views are immaculate. Julia Bradbury did the walk in one of her telly programmes. Gummers How up off the main road along the eastern side of Windemere is good, epecially as you can drive half way up the steep bit and park yopur car!

Burnley loyal
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Burnley loyal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Some lovely walks around stonethwaite in the borrowdale valley

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks for all the help. I have narrowed it down to Haystacks, Catbells, or if the weather is crap a walk around Derwentwater.

I have not been to the lakes since I was a kid and have limited most of my walks to the Yorkshire dales. Looking forward to it.

Any recommendations for decent ale in Keswick?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 am

claretspice wrote:Just logged on to second this. The GPS means you can see exactly where you are on the map, and therefore whether you are on the path or not. If you aren't a confident map-reader its a great thing to have for reassurance (although I'd always recommend having a paper map as well).
They were selling maps that came with a code so that you could download the map onto your phone.
It saved me from dropping into Grasmere whilst doing the Fairfield Horseshoe. I consider myself a better than average map reader, but when those clouds come down on the tops...... It's no wonder people get lost.
Anyway I'd recommend the OS app to any walkers, they're brilliant.
This user liked this post: piston broke

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 am

Just come back from a weekend in Keswick Inchy

- The George is good for beer, nice food at a bistro whose name escapes me but its near fitz park and at the Royal Hotel in the centre.

About £12 for a main course though, but there is a weatherspoons (which we didn't go in)

rincon
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by rincon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am

The Dog and Gun does great Hungarian goulash and has Old Peculiar on. The nearby Oddfellows Arms has the full range of Jennings beers on and food is quite good and well priced. Then, there's the relatively new Wetherspoons, whch I haven't tried yet.
Very nice area is Keswick with lots of nice walking, you can catch a launch from the lake and sail to the other side, if it takes your fancy.
https://keswick-launch.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm

6C264D5D-F076-47C4-8F55-87CD0E08F272.jpeg
6C264D5D-F076-47C4-8F55-87CD0E08F272.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 3288 times
Thanks for the recommendations. This is my view at present. Can you guess where I am
4F62EA3B-E2DE-4CF0-85A9-5337886DD0A6.jpeg
4F62EA3B-E2DE-4CF0-85A9-5337886DD0A6.jpeg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 3288 times
These 2 users liked this post: piston broke JohnMac

timel0veandtendayi
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by timel0veandtendayi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Easy, Catbells. Enjoy!
This user liked this post: piston broke

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Hapton

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 384 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Are you looking for the footpath? (Clue: Look down at your feet)

Inchy

Post by Inchy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I am looking for the other northerners. Everyone I have spoken to is a cockney

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Were any of them waving a corner flag?