Pope or Heaton to go?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Pope or Heaton to go?

Post by KRBFC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Didn't do the 91/92 Div 4 winning team any harm
I wasn't born then unfortunately

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 pm

KRBFC wrote:I wasn't born then unfortunately
In a nutshell, we played 5 different goalkeepers and won the league.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by starting_11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 pm

KefkaClaret wrote:The top six can rotate keepers as they have european football and are expected to go far in the cups. If we assigned one of our keepers to just cup football they would probably only get 3 games a season.
Three? Are they introducing a new cup or something?

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Heaton close to playing footy!

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... -1-9023384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I imagine Pope’s poor distribution would put his market value below £25m. There’s absolutely no reason why both players won’t be here next season.
If distribution is going to impact the fee, by that logic we'll have to pay someone to take Tom away.

I'd keep Pope, mostly due to the fact he can kick straight even under pressure.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Does anybody else not think we should just try and keep both keepers? There is no rule in Premier League football that we have to sell one. We are Premier bloody League! Forget what anybody says - we can afford to keep both.

clarethead
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by clarethead » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm

Heaton has a chance to go to the world cup. I think if it's a toss up for Dyche, then he'll respect that Tom needs game time to have a shot at the WC. A great position to be in for us as a club. If anyone is going to go, I would reckon Pope.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Does anybody else not think we should just try and keep both keepers? There is no rule in Premier League football that we have to sell one. We are Premier bloody League! Forget what anybody says - we can afford to keep both.
No but the point of my OP was that if one or the other is dropped and someone comes in for them... they might be well tempted to take the offer.

Ideally if they could all come to an arrangement to see out next season and decide the future then, it'd be ideal.

They both might want to stay as we're such a great club etc but they're also going to want first team football - afterall, who could blame them.

Another season to work it out would be beneficial for all.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:32 pm

starting_11 wrote:No but the point of my OP was that if one or the other is dropped and someone comes in for them... they might be well tempted to take the offer.

Ideally if they could all come to an arrangement to see out next season and decide the future then, it'd be ideal.

They both might want to stay as we're such a great club etc but they're also going to want first team football - afterall, who could blame them.

Another season to work it out would be beneficial for all.
The point of your OP was to ask the question which we've all replied to. I've given my reply.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Well the answer is simple.ple. he who doesn't play will want to go somewhere where he can.

There will be clubs after either so no, we won't keep both

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:If distribution is going to impact the fee, by that logic we'll have to pay someone to take Tom away.

I'd keep Pope, mostly due to the fact he can kick straight even under pressure.
Of course a goalkeeper’s distribution impacts the fee. Got a start, none of the top 6 would consider a keeper who’s as poor with his feet as Pope.

And Heaton’s distribution is far more accurate.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:Didn't do the 91/92 Div 4 winning team any harm
Mark Kendall at Blackpool ?

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 am

The whole Heaton vs Pope is exactly what we need to push on, we need serious competition all over the pitch for each player in every position if we want to progress, the man WITH the shirt needs to know that the man WITHOUT the shirt is pushing him all the way for that spot. This is how you get the best out of the players, to think that we now have to get rid of one as they too good to sit on the bench is silly, we want that competition if we are to grow and move forward. I'm sure Heaton now thinks he's got to fight now to get back into the side.
If we had that problem all over the pitch we'd be better for it as a team. Sean only signs players that will fit the framework and think this is a very important part of the team ethic.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:48 am

Personally would go the other way but I suspect that IF Heaton proves his shoulder is fully recovered and shows no signs of weakness, Burnley will make Heaton the No.1 for next season. They will offer Pope and BIG pay rise to stay but with some hopeful England recognition this summer and his agent (rightly) in his ear, he will make a move to...Arsenal. Cech has one more season in him (Heaton has 3 or 4 left) and Pope will hope to be their No.1 from then.

If the reverse occurs and Pope maintains his No.1 spot, Heaton will be off as well (could anyone blame him???). Location...who knows but he would want a first team berth so somewhere like Newcastle United.

WHAT A CHOICE for the club to make!!!!!

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:56 am

If one did, and they go down, I'd snap that lad at Huddersfield up right quick

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:If one did, and they go down, I'd snap that lad at Huddersfield up right quick
After a very good showing against us at their place he’s been throwing them in left, right and centre.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 pm

both deserve to play. could we put one out on loan? not sure how good our 3rd choice is for whether this would be viable.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8728 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 pm

England's one and two keepers! Both Clarets.
Long term. Heaton will be the one to stay. He is a respected club captain and local man. He has obviously settled for our wage banding and personal contentment. Pope is younger and has the potential to earn heavily at a bigger paying club. If we let Heaton go, Pope would soon be enticed away and we would be left keeperless.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie