Remembering Arthur Bellamy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Remembering Arthur Bellamy

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Arthur Bellamy passed away four years ago last month and I still miss chatting to him every time I go down to Gawthorpe. I knew they were doing this but I was delighted this morning when I walked in to see the wording having gone up on his old bunglow.
Arthur Bellamy Media Centre.jpg
Arthur Bellamy Media Centre.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
These 43 users liked this post: wilks_bfc Spijed Leisure IndigoLake ten bellies BigF Quickenthetempo stokesy19 jtv St Austell Claret BB8 conyoviejo Clarets4me Claret Till I Die Wexford_Claret BertFreemansShirt SlidingTackle KeighleyClaret clareteltel44 tally k90bfc elwaclaret Shappie claretgimmer Dazzler ebby Cajun Bop ZizkovClaret Sarum IanMcL Stayingup longsidepies Mala591 JohnMac Jel Ashingtonclaret46 KINGPIN Cirrus_Minor Juan Tanamera Guich turfytopper ontario claret

JimmyMac'sMate
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Remembering Arthur Bellamy

Post by JimmyMac'sMate » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 pm

So it my self this morning great touch from the club utc

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1619 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:12 pm

I think that's a great gesture. Well done Burnley FC.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:I think that's a great gesture. Well done Burnley FC.
It was the security man who told me a few months ago that they were going to do this. He didn't know Arthur or anything about him, just that he was a former player. I hadn't forgotten about it but had begun to think it might not happen.

Really thrilled to see it this morning and he told me that one of his sons had been down to see it and I think the club are going to invite his wife Maureen down.

It's not the first time something has been given his name at Gawthorpe. When the youth department built a filming platform over the old youth pitch dug outs with the money we'd donated, they always jokingly referred to it as the Arthur Bellamy Stand. I think Arthur was quite impressed with that.

Wonderful sense of humour. I went down to watch a youth game one day and got talking to him and he asked me if I'd been to the away game on the previous Saturday. We chatted about that and he said he could have gone to Ewood that day, he'd received an invite from former Claret Mick Buxton who works for the Premier League and had a box that day.

It had got to Thursday and Maureen asked him: "Are we going Arthur?" to which he replied: "I don't think so. I don't like going there and, in any case, Buxton's a right boring old fart."

Arthur and Mick Buxton were the very best of friends though.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2249 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm

What a great touch from the club

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Great memories and a superb gesture by the club.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Remember his silky skills-played No 10. One of our unsung heroes . Just like Sammy Todd. Thanks Tony for the update
This user liked this post: k90bfc

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Too young to remember his playing days but on the few occasions I spoke to him at the ground always found him a really warm and genuine guy. Glad the club have done this in his honour. Good to see we still remember our own.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 pm

A very clever if slight inside forward. Never really held down a regular spot but contributed to the team over many years despite the heavy grounds. Elegant comes to mind and it's nice to see him remembered in this way, Burnley is a family club and Arthur was an important member of that family.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm

He used to come up to St Teds occasionally and help train a couple of teams on the all weather pitch. This was whilst he was playing in the first team. Nice guy.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Great stuff.

He was part of the furniture here for many years, and his name will now remain so for many more years.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

ebby wrote:He used to come up to St Teds occasionally and help train a couple of teams on the all weather pitch. This was whilst he was playing in the first team. Nice guy.
Thats quite correct, he used to coach the under 15 team at St Teds when I played with them.

Whats the weather like in Perth ebby? Bet its a bit warmer than Lancashire!

SlidingTackle
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by SlidingTackle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Excellent to see this, and I very much hope that Maureen, Craig and Andrew see this as what it is, an excellent tribute to an excellent 'Burnley' man.

He, arguably, was the reason I became a Burnley fan.

I am the son of parents from Bolton, and through my father's work I was born in Coventry (where I lived between 1960 and 1963), before we moved to Exeter, (where I lived between 1963 and 1970). Now, although my Dad (a Bolton Wanderers fan) took me to Exeter City v. Wrexham Town in the mid / late-1960s there was no future in that, and, partly as my older cousin was a Liverpool fan, and Everton were a good team in the late 1960s, I admit, I dabbled with supporting Everton.

But this all changed immediately when we moved to Burnley when I was just about 10. We moved to the Brownside estate in Worsthorne, and our house was directly opposite that of Arthur and Maureen Bellamy. Maureen sent Arthur across the road with a tray of sandwiches and a pot of tea to help us move in.... .

Soon afterwards, Arthur arranged for complimentary tickets for my Dad and I to sit in the Cricketfield Stand (then a state of the art stand!) for each and every home game.

All we had to do was go to the players entrance before each home game and ask the 'commissionaire' there whether there were any tickets for us. Memorably, he would very guardedly look at the clutch of envelopes in the inside pocket of his overcoat as ne'er do wells had taken to reading the names of the envelopes and asking 'Are there any tickets for .......?'.

Anyway, as a result, it's all Arthur's fault.

How could it be any other way when, as a 10 year old you are watching First Division football with your Dad courtesy of a First Division footballer?

A top top man. And a really lovely family.

He was a very quiet, self-effacing man, (and as such I am a little struck by the incongruity of the media centre being named after him) but a really wonderful gesture by the club.
These 6 users liked this post: CleggHall Ashingtonclaret46 Claret Till I Die nil_desperandum Juan Tanamera The Enclosure

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Very talented footballer and pretty handy with a short pronged fork :D
Last time I saw him it was at Gawthorpe and he was loading his car up outside his house. I said hello and said I was surprised that he wasn't away with the team. (This was in the summer after out promotion with Coyle) From his response I gathered that he was none too pleased at not getting an invite. I think the team were in the US or some other overseas location.
One of the Clarets unsung heroes and I'm so pleased he has had some recognition at last.

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:43 pm

I remember the hat trick he scored against Orient in 1971, one of our unsung heroes of the 1960's. Never let us down when he played.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:03 pm

CaptJohn wrote:Very talented footballer and pretty handy with a short pronged fork :D
Last time I saw him it was at Gawthorpe and he was loading his car up outside his house. I said hello and said I was surprised that he wasn't away with the team. (This was in the summer after out promotion with Coyle) From his response I gathered that he was none too pleased at not getting an invite. I think the team were in the US or some other overseas location.
One of the Clarets unsung heroes and I'm so pleased he has had some recognition at last.
Arthur had been groundsman for some number of years by then so he would not have been going on any trip to America. In any case, he was already quite ill by then.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:05 pm

SlidingTackle wrote:Excellent to see this, and I very much hope that Maureen, Craig and Andrew see this as what it is, an excellent tribute to an excellent 'Burnley' man.

He, arguably, was the reason I became a Burnley fan.

I am the son of parents from Bolton, and through my father's work I was born in Coventry (where I lived between 1960 and 1963), before we moved to Exeter, (where I lived between 1963 and 1970). Now, although my Dad (a Bolton Wanderers fan) took me to Exeter City v. Wrexham Town in the mid / late-1960s there was no future in that, and, partly as my older cousin was a Liverpool fan, and Everton were a good team in the late 1960s, I admit, I dabbled with supporting Everton.

But this all changed immediately when we moved to Burnley when I was just about 10. We moved to the Brownside estate in Worsthorne, and our house was directly opposite that of Arthur and Maureen Bellamy. Maureen sent Arthur across the road with a tray of sandwiches and a pot of tea to help us move in.... .

Soon afterwards, Arthur arranged for complimentary tickets for my Dad and I to sit in the Cricketfield Stand (then a state of the art stand!) for each and every home game.

All we had to do was go to the players entrance before each home game and ask the 'commissionaire' there whether there were any tickets for us. Memorably, he would very guardedly look at the clutch of envelopes in the inside pocket of his overcoat as ne'er do wells had taken to reading the names of the envelopes and asking 'Are there any tickets for .......?'.

Anyway, as a result, it's all Arthur's fault.

How could it be any other way when, as a 10 year old you are watching First Division football with your Dad courtesy of a First Division footballer?

A top top man. And a really lovely family.

He was a very quiet, self-effacing man, (and as such I am a little struck by the incongruity of the media centre being named after him) but a really wonderful gesture by the club.
Everything you have written about Arthur and Maureen rings true to me. In some ways naming a media centre in his name is probably a bit strange but it’s been done because it was Arthur’s home for many years.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Another hat-trick at Goodison Park in 1963, all in the first half where we led 4-1. Game finished 4-3 and ended a very long run of games where Everton had remained undefeated at home.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Another hat-trick at Goodison Park in 1963, all in the first half where we led 4-1. Game finished 4-3 and ended a very long run of games where Everton had remained undefeated at home.
I think Miller got the other and it ended an unbeaten home record of about two years standing.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm

This is great to see, nice work CT.

longhair
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 231 times

Post by longhair » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Looks like the wood hut chippy he ran for a fee years in burnlry

ants_g
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by ants_g » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:37 pm

longhair wrote:Looks like the wood hut chippy he ran for a fee years in burnlry
Yes he had Lane Head chippy for a while. About 40 years ago that.