We can win the world cup

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Re: We can win the world cup

Post by houseboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Alli may not figure that much. His diving may well get him sent off and therefore miss games. Personally I'd leave the diving cheat at home to stew on his shocking ways. How do players like him and Sanchez keep getting away with it? If I were a ref would wouldn't award either of them a penalty, even if they were hacked down with a machete. We used to be critical of foreign players and their diving, now we have our very own - step forward Mr Deli Alli.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr CharlieinNewMexico

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:25 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:Picking the best league back four is a great idea (if all English).

I seem to recall Italy did similar in a recent tournament. Basically picked the Juve defence even though they had some other defenders considered world class. The manager explained he'd picked it because it was the best unit that worked well together week in week out.
Yes but it was the Juventus defence and they had the best team and best defenders in Italy at this time. It was a big bonus that they had played together for so long.

I do agree there is something in picking defenders who are familiar with each other. I was always confused why Pallister and Bruce hardly ever played together for England when they were so good for a United team that was winning everything. Same with the whole of that Arsenal defence - Adams, Seaman, Dixon etc.

The players do still need to be good enough though - its a bit different when its for Arsenal and United and they are winning the league as by definition they are likely to have some of the best defenders....just like Juventus. For the likes of Heaton, Mee and Tarks (and Keane) as useful as it is that they all combine well it would be a big risk to think that is going to compensate for probably not being the best defenders in England (though I do think Heaton is in the top 2 keepers).

Problem for England is that there are so many foreign players in the top teams that there are no teams with more than a couple of English defenders. Only United with Smalling, Jones and Luke Shaw (or Ashley Young) - and an England team going to a World Cup with Smalling and Jones as their centre backs would struggle to get to the knock out stages - let alone win the World Cup.

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Walker? The chap who disappeared when Johann scored against City? He's so one-footed he could register disabled. Sit on his right foot and he has to pass. Rose is his twin - another one-foot wonder. Tripper is far better at crossing the ball.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Can I just say... it's Ali.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Can I just say... it's Ali.
You can just say that.....its wrong but you can still say it if you really want !!

Its Dele Alli

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:You can just say that.....its wrong but you can still say it if you really want !!
Its Dele Alli
Oops.. for once, you're actually right!

I've perhaps watched Muhammad too many times that it's imprinted on my mind.

MrClaretandBlue
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by MrClaretandBlue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:40 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Can I just say... it's Ali.

Stick to the facts Frank.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 pm

MrClaretandBlue wrote:Stick to the facts Frank.
I know... I might be right 99.9% of the time, but this was a shocker, I admit.
This user liked this post: MrClaretandBlue

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm

ngsobob wrote:Walker? The chap who disappeared when Johann scored against City? He's so one-footed he could register disabled. Sit on his right foot and he has to pass. Rose is his twin - another one-foot wonder. Tripper is far better at crossing the ball.
Yes that Kyle Walker. Who is better in every department than Trippier. He is probably the best right back in the world.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:15 pm

He isn't better in every department.

Trippier is a far better crosser of the ball.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

FactualFrank wrote:He isn't better in every department.

Trippier is a far better crosser of the ball.
That itself is subjective. So will just have to go on stats. And Walker has more assists than Trippier. (Along with superior defensive stats - clean sheets etc).

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:That itself is subjective. So will just have to go on stats. And Walker has more assists than Trippier. (Along with superior defensive stats - clean sheets etc).
Of course Walker has more assists than Trippier - he's playing for bloody Manchester City!

Are you genuinely suggesting that Walker is better at crossing a ball than Trippier?

Watch football - you don't need to look at stats.
Don't get me wrong - I rate Walker a lot and think he's almost in the bracket of World Class, but I also know that Trippier is better at crossing a football.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Have to say I'm not even sure I'll bother watching unless there is Claret interest. England bore the socks of me and have for years. Think I'd rather paint the grass, never mind cut it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:41 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Of course Walker has more assists than Trippier - he's playing for bloody Manchester City!

Are you genuinely suggesting that Walker is better at crossing a ball than Trippier?
And Trippier is crossing balls in for the premier leagues top scorer, who is most likely to score from any type of ball in - head or foot.

Doesnt matter that he plays for City. He plays for City for a reason. Because he is better. Would Lowton get the same results as Walker if he played for City? of course he wouldnt because he isnt as good.

Walker kept Trippier out of the side at Spurs because he was better. If he wasnt, City would have spent a world record on Trippier not Walker.

Stats and everything else prove Walker is the better player. At everything.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:And Trippier is crossing balls in for the premier leagues top scorer, who is most likely to score from any type of ball in - head or foot.

Doesnt matter that he plays for City. He plays for City for a reason. Because he is better. Would Lowton get the same results as Walker if he played for City? of course he wouldnt because he isnt as good.

Walker kept Trippier out of the side at Spurs because he was better. If he wasnt, City would have spent a world record on Trippier not Walker.

Stats and everything else prove Walker is the better player. At everything.
That is absolute drivel. I've half admitted that Walker is better.

I rate Walker, but I also know he IS NOT better than Trippier than crossing a football. I thought you watched football? You clearly don't.

Walker is faster and more tricky, of course he is but anybody who watches football knows that Walker's weak point is his delivery.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

FactualFrank wrote:That is absolute drivel. I've half admitted that Walker is better.

I rate Walker, but I also know he IS NOT better than Trippier than crossing a football. I thought you watched football? You clearly don't.

Walker is faster and more tricky, of course he is but anybody who watches football knows that Walker's weak point is his delivery.
OK.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Walker is definitely a better player than Tripps - defending and attacking.

And I love Tripps - my favourite Burnley player ever.

I think Tripps probably is a better crosser of a ball than Walker - i think Tripps is a better crosser of a ball than any English full back. However, when you watch City play Walker hardly ever attempts to put the ball into the air from a cross. He will either try and get to the byline with a 1-2 with De Bruyne or will try and get to the byline using his pace and then usually play it along the ground or pick out a player coming into the box.

Tripps on the other hand will play a lot of first time crosses looking for Kane in the air.

When they were both at Spurs when Kane played I thought Tripps provided much better service to Kane than Walker did and I'm sure based on game time he provided more assists. But Walker was the better defender as he was more physical, taller and stronger.

Up to this season I always argued Tripps was the better full back as I thought Walker was starting to go backwards. From what I have seen this season though Walker for me is easily the best full back in the league and up there as one of the best in the world.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2250 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 pm

TVC15 wrote:Walker is definitely a better player than Tripps - defending and attacking.

And I love Tripps - my favourite Burnley player ever.

I think Tripps probably is a better crosser of a ball than Walker - i think Tripps is a better crosser of a ball than any English full back. However, when you watch City play Walker hardly ever attempts to put the ball into the air from a cross. He will either try and get to the byline with a 1-2 with De Bruyne or will try and get to the byline using his pace and then usually play it along the ground or pick out a player coming into the box.

Tripps on the other hand will play a lot of first time crosses looking for Kane in the air.

When they were both at Spurs when Kane played I thought Tripps provided much better service to Kane than Walker did and I'm sure based on game time he provided more assists. But Walker was the better defender as he was more physical, taller and stronger.

Up to this season I always argued Tripps was the better full back as I thought Walker was starting to go backwards. From what I have seen this season though Walker for me is easily the best full back in the league and up there as one of the best in the world.

He wasn't tonight against Wigan

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Yes that Kyle Walker. Who is better in every department than Trippier. He is probably the best right back in the world.
Well, at 4 o'clock that may have been true. Let me watch Wigan's goal again ... :twisted:

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:54 am

it's not going to matter if Walker is the best defender because whoever we play is going to canter through the middle of our defence like Desert Orchid going down to the start. Which means we'll have to score goals and for that to happen the undoubted best combination is Trippier crossing to Kane. Not Walker crossing to Kane.