ARTICLE: I thought we did enough to win that game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: I thought we did enough to win that game

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Mauricio Pellegrino & Sean Dyche on today's game

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/i-thought-w ... -that-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heaton's Gloves
Been Liked: 49 times

Re: ARTICLE: I thought we did enough to win that game

Post by Heaton's Gloves » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:32 pm

We did not.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Poor game by two poor sides. Saints deserve to go down on that showing. They would not have equalised today but for the Ref

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 pm

It was like watching a league one game in the first half.

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Definitely didn't deserve to win.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 pm

Two pub teams wellying it back and forward on a cabbage patch, I thought Saints were the worst side i've seen on the Turf since Sunderland last year and we still didn't ever test the keeper which says it all about how bad we were.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:15 pm

KRBFC wrote:Two pub teams wellying it back and forward on a cabbage patch, I thought Saints were the worst side i've seen on the Turf since Sunderland last year and we still didn't ever test the keeper which says it all about how bad we were.
That keeper was very beatable. Vokes should have been on.imo

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:40 pm

KRBFC wrote:Two pub teams wellying it back and forward on a cabbage patch, I thought Saints were the worst side i've seen on the Turf since Sunderland last year and we still didn't ever test the keeper which says it all about how bad we were.
Didn't think they were as poor as Swansea were on the Turf earlier in the season.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I can’t believe he really thinks that was a good performance.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought Southampton were Ok, they had a few good counters and some decent chances.
I'd have been happy had we played like that in a few of our away games more recently.
They certainly deserved a point in my opinion.
Pope was the busier GK and pulled of 1, possibly 2 world class saves.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1467 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Goobs » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought we did alright today and looked reasonably comfortable for most of the game. We are top of "the rest" in the league and missing our record signing and best forward, one of the best CM's outside the big 6 and one of the best CB's in the league and people still moan. Incredible.

PS I only leave out Heaton from the above due to the way Pope is performing.
These 2 users liked this post: bodge simonclaret

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Our manager is getting desparate if he thinks that Barnes should have had a penalty at the end of the game (not the incident before the goal); agree on the Long decision but not that Barnes one at the end.
At 1-0 in the Prem you are never comfortable and one stroke of luck/genius can change any game; after many years SD should know that and unfortunately in this run his defensive nature is biting him on the arse a little; we didnt do enough to win it although could easily have done, ala Saints away, Palace & Stoke at home where in hindsight we didnt do enough on those days but came out on the right side.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Sorry Sean, but we were poor today against a crap team there for the taking, 2 points dropped however you dress it up
(You are still the man though ;-) )

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

not so KRBFC, yes, it was a poor game, but I don't agree about us wellying it.
We couldn't beat them, and we lacked finesse and a killer touch, but we definately weren't just booting it .
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:49 pm

"There for the taking" gets another airing, a team with Bertrand, Romeu, Ward-Prowse and Redmond in it.

I'm getting seriously concerned that some of our fans are getting way ahead of themselves with some of the comments tonight.

Big time Charlie attitudes are appearing, we've had a fantastic season despite the latest run but expecting to roll any team over in this league is borderline delusional.
This user liked this post: addisclaret

Vintage Claret

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 pm

bodge wrote:"There for the taking" gets another airing, a team with Bertrand, Romeu, Ward-Prowse and Redmond in it.

I'm getting seriously concerned that some of our fans are getting way ahead of themselves with some of the comments tonight.

Big time Charlie attitudes are appearing, we've had a fantastic season despite the latest run but expecting to roll any team over in this league is borderline delusional.
Don't think anyone is expecting to "roll any team over" but I think it's reasonable to expect any team 7th in the PL could manage more than 2 shots on target at home against a team 9 or 10 places below them in the league.

There again we are just little old Burnley so why should we aim any higher?

Regards
Charlie
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Rumpelstiltskin

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 pm

We didn't do enough to win and got what we deserved.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:Don't think anyone is expecting to "roll any team over" but I think it's reasonable to expect any team 7th in the PL could manage more than 2 shots on target at home against a team 9 or 10 places below them in the league.

There again we are just little old Burnley so why should we aim any higher?

Regards
Charlie
But straight away you're setting your expectations by reference to the fact we're 7th and Southampton are 19th, which ignores the fact we're massively over achieving and Southampton vastly under achieving.

You're taking over achievement as a given and then demanding more. Which isn't sustainable.
These 2 users liked this post: Tall Paul mybloodisclaret

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:05 am

We have been playing without the spine of our team in Heaton, Tarkowski, Defour and Wood, which in today's market is potentially £100 million worth of players and also our most creative outlet in Brady. The loss of Brady has also had a massive detrimental effect on Hendrick's game as well, as those two have a great understanding in forward areas as they've played together since school.
Overall we would have all taken this position at the start of the season, 38 games is what counts, not good runs and bad runs. We are having a shite run but a fine season so get your collective chins up.
This user liked this post: dermotdermot

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 am

So did I, get over it "**** happens", onto the next game.

Vintage Claret

Post by Vintage Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:11 am

claretspice wrote:But straight away you're setting your expectations by reference to the fact we're 7th and Southampton are 19th, which ignores the fact we're massively over achieving and Southampton vastly under achieving.

You're taking over achievement as a given and then demanding more. Which isn't sustainable.
Hmm, had to think about that Claretspice as I think you're one of the more sensible posters on this board who's opinions I tend to respect and find myself nodding along to.
However..I have to say I'm not taking over achievement as a given, we've worked bloomin hard to get where we are, but taking the 'one game at a time' mantra our manager has championed this really is a game we shoulda/coulda won

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 am

Vintage Claret wrote:Hmm, had to think about that Claretspice as I think you're one of the more sensible posters on this board who's opinions I tend to respect and find myself nodding along to.
However..I have to say I'm not taking over achievement as a given, we've worked bloomin hard to get where we are, but taking the 'one game at a time' mantra our manager has championed this really is a game we shoulda/coulda won
Southampton would've thought that it was a game they should and could have won as well.

Despite our league position, we still go into most games as underdogs.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:19 am

All things considered, we didn't do enough.

A point was fair

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 am

Dyche seemed to turn into a cross between Mourinho and Wenger in his MOTD interview.

Not enough for a foul on Long for their goal, and the same with Barnes at the end.

As for the keeper carrying the ball outside the area... well it would've helped if they'd bother to freeze frame the footage!

Vintage Claret

Post by Vintage Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 am

Tall Paul wrote:Southampton would've thought that it was a game they should and could have won as well.

Despite our league position, we still go into most games as underdogs.
Understand what you're saying Paul but not sure any Saints fans wouldn't have taken a point before the game.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 am

Braindead wrote:We have been playing without the spine of our team in Heaton, Tarkowski, Defour and Wood, which in today's market is potentially £100 million worth of players and also our most creative outlet in effect on Hendrick's game as well, as those two have a great understanding in forward areas as they've played together since school.
Overall we would have all taken this position at the start of the season, 38 games is what counts, not good runs and bad runs. We are having a shite run but a fine season so get your collective chins up.

Don’t disagree with any of that, but we’re talking about today’s game, and the fact is we were sh!te and threw away two points against a poor team.
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Braindead

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 am

bodge wrote:"There for the taking" gets another airing, a team with Bertrand, Romeu, Ward-Prowse and Redmond in it.

I don't think Redmond has scored a goal this season

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 am

KRBFC wrote:I don't think Redmond has scored a goal this season
Pep obviously rates him though.

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:03 am

I don't believe we did either.

Fristrating to see teams like Brighton scoring 4 when we rarely muster 1 goal in a game.

Hughton is starting to get the balance between defence and attack right, Dyche hasn't worked it out yet and is resulting in awful entertainment.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 am

We were appalling. And as much as people want to bang on about injuries and " the horrendous fixture list Man City / utd / Spurs etc " the truth is we've played Newcastle, Swansea, and Southampton (all in bottom 3) and apart from 10 minutes today never looked like beating them, or even BEGAN to look like we could beat them.
6pts from 11 games extrapolates out to a 20 point season. With that form we'd normally be down by Christmas.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 am

If I was a Southampton fan I would have said a draw was a fair result. Burnley created little and Pope made two outstanding saves

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1231 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:09 am

Dyche also thought Long was fouled, he’s wrong about that too.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:13 am

We can count ourselves extreamly fortunate to have taken 4 points off them.this season IMO.

Pope has made match changing saves in both games and earnt us points.

We have averaged a point per shot on target v them this season. Not a bad return.
I don't think we are in a position to start claiming hard luck stories

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:32 am

“There for the taking” is completely different to “expecting a win”.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:53 am

A `run` that has now lasted more than a 1/3 of the season. Of course, there are extenuating circumstances, especially the injury to Brady and games against the big boys, but I do find the levels of performance particularly disappointing against the so-called `lesser lights` during this `run`. We`ve pretty much replicated what West Brom did last season (with a great deal more panache I would suggest) but I don`t think many on here were defending (and were possibly deriding and sniggering at) Pulis hoofball as they were accused, by many, of being on the beach after reaching 40 points. Burnley fans are not Arsenal TV, but I believe a few, myself included, would like to see a degree of `performance` attached to the points accrued or not against Brighton,Huddersfield, Swansea, Southampton et al. I think it also fair to question the questionable use of our loanee during this spell. I do feel for Nkoudou, who looked like he has LOTS to offer in a Bradyesque role, which we have so desperately missed, in my opinion and isn`t even getting a meaningful look-in.

It is hard though to get away from the fact that (and why the hell should we???) we are in the upper echelons of the footballing pyramid and that in itself is a magnificent achievement in its own right. I`d just like to be enjoying the fayre being brought to the table a little bit more.
Last edited by HiroshimaClaret on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: bodge

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 am

Just watched the extended "highlights"
A point each more than fair enough, never a foul on Long, perfectly good goal, no foul on Barnes either. Certain handball mind, but would have been a yellow and free kick.

Westwood could/should have just brought the player down for their goal, he had a nibble but pulled out.

Ref had a good game and even the handball he was looking through a player and wrong side to see when he released the ball. Both him and the lino wrong side. We can't expect refs to guess.

Draw was a fair result IMO, and if I was pressed to pick a winner, it was the away side...