It's freezing,Russia stops gas to Ukraine, Europe could run low.Are you still against Fracking?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6886 times

It's freezing,Russia stops gas to Ukraine, Europe could run low.Are you still against Fracking?

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1GE2DW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have never had that much of a problem with fracking but now I am really in favour. Why should a few dozen rent a mob tambourine bashing long haired layabouts and Mrs and Mrs middle class with a view over amazing fields and a small copse housing a deer or two dictate the UK's energy policy ? Lets face it the green party have been around for ages but nobody really is interested. These left wing sorts want power to go to Russia so why not put us as hostages to them ? Mr and Mrs middle class cannot see further then their amaaaazing view.
Can you imagine locals in years past moaning about pits opening because that is where the coal is, locals moaning that a tin mine was going to be opened because that is where the tin is, locals moaning that a quarry is being created because that is where the stone is ?
I am sat here heating on lovely and warm heat on nearly full and I want it to stay that way. With have decades worth of gas lets get it out which will buy us time for nuclear fusion for really limitless clean energy .
Anti frackers can frack off
(unless Sean is against it then so am I )
These 2 users liked this post: mdd2 CaptJohn

thedoge
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Re: It's freezing,Russia stops gas to Ukraine, Europe could run low.Are you still against Fracking?

Post by thedoge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 pm

What a load of rubbish.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Re: It's freezing,Russia stops gas to Ukraine, Europe could run low.Are you still against Fracking?

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Frack that!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

We live on a windy, rainy island

Lets dig underground for our energy!
These 10 users liked this post: BarstewardsEnquiry halfmanhalfbiscuit Rick_Muller nil_desperandum Rowls morpheus2 MrClaretandBlue Pearcey karatekid Juan Tanamera

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:57 pm

As you probably know I'm not a sandal wearer, but if they started Fracking outside my house I'd be out with the josticks and lying down wearing just hemp knickers to stop them.
This user liked this post: chekhov

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:58 pm

thedoge wrote:What a load of rubbish.
You think Seans an anti ?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:We live on a windy, rainy island

The wind doesn't always blow, check out Whalley when the river drops so does the hydro generator. Are you burning copised branches tonight ?

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:00 pm

bfcjg wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russ ... SKCN1GE2DW
I have never had that much of a problem with fracking but now I am really in favour. Why should a few dozen rent a mob tambourine bashing long haired layabouts and Mrs and Mrs middle class with a view over amazing fields and a small copse housing a deer or two dictate the UK's energy policy ? Lets face it the green party have been around for ages but nobody really is interested. These left wing sorts want power to go to Russia so why not put us as hostages to them ? Mr and Mrs middle class cannot see further then their amaaaazing view.
Can you imagine locals in years past moaning about pits opening because that is where the coal is, locals moaning that a tin mine was going to be opened because that is where the tin is, locals moaning that a quarry is being created because that is where the stone is ?
I am sat here heating on lovely and warm heat on nearly full and I want it to stay that way. With have decades worth of gas lets get it out which will buy us time for nuclear fusion for really limitless clean energy .
Anti frackers can frack off
(unless Sean is against it then so am I )
It'll be reet we can burn sandals.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:As you probably know I'm not a sandal wearer, but if they started Fracking outside my house I'd be out with the josticks and lying down wearing just hemp knickers to stop them.
Bint, if they fracked outside my house I would be delighted that we had some high tech jobs in the area Lancashire was keeping Britain warm and the main benefit would be I would not be able to see the sour faced old git who polished his Merc every Sunday because he has one and nothing else in his life.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:08 pm

The wind doesn't always blow, check out Whalley when the river drops so does the hydro generator. Are you burning copised branches tonight ?
Tidal mate, tidal
This user liked this post: BarstewardsEnquiry

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:10 pm

bartons baggage wrote:It'll be reet we can burn sandals.
What the all inclusive holiday resort for over fifties who are in love ? Think of the pollution man, and how will that secure the UK's energy supply we cant all bugger of to the Caribbean to warm out hands.
This user liked this post: bartons baggage

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Tidal mate, tidal
They silt up, marine life suffers, energy is created twice a day, storage of the power hasn't been cracked yet, fracking buys time.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 pm

I was never against it.

I'm looking out the window going, "hmm, global warming, wtf?" :o ;)
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:18 pm

All wind turbines in UK turned off due to high winds just when we need energy the most! Agree that wind power can contribute but the turbines have ruined many a "view" locally. Fracking is no more intrusive that wind turbines. £15M already invested in Lancashire from Cuadrilla, thats just on test sites. Agreement that Lancashire businesses will recieve favourable treatment in tendering.
Burnley was partly built from coal mining, the Bee Hole end was built from slag from Bee Hole pit, therefore if the sandal wearing, veggie munching crowd had been around then, no Clarets, no TM.
Sorry for rant, cabin fever kicked in.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 pm

If Fracking is safe then we should use the technology ! I don't think I'm out on a limb in saying that it's safer than charging ashore from a landing craft on D-Day, but that was the right thing to do!

Not for nothing are the Greens known as " Watermelon politicians ", Green on the outside and red in the middle !! During the 2015 General Election, I did some canvessing and the funniest thing I saw was a young Green campaigner, a young Australian woman, approach a middle aged lady coming out of Marks & Spencer and proffered her a Green Party leaflet. The lady looked her up and down, and with a smile, asked her where she was from...." Canberra, Australia " she replied. " Good Heavens, dear, you must be exhausted, rowing all that way over here ! "..

To be fair, she saw the funny side to it and laughed along !! :D
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg Braindead

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 pm

We have wind turbines on the Moor above our house.

You just get used to them.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Clarets4me wrote:If Fracking is safe then we should use the technology ! I don't think I'm out on a limb in saying that it's safer than charging ashore from a landing craft on D-Day, but that was the right thing to do!

Not for nothing are the Greens known as " Watermelon politicians ", Green on the outside and red in the middle !! During the 2015 General Election, I did some canvessing and the funniest thing I saw was a young Green campaigner, a young Australian woman, approach a middle aged lady coming out of Marks & Spencer and proffered her a Green Party leaflet. The lady looked her up and down, and with a smile, asked her where she was from...." Canberra, Australia " she replied. " Good Heavens, dear, you must be exhausted, rowing all that way over here ! "..

To be fair, she saw the funny side to it and laughed along !! :D
Brilliant :D

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 pm

People talk about shale gas as though if we don’t frack it now it’ll disappear. Right now it’s been found that environmental issues arise due to fracking, and there’s no detailed plan about how the money will be used to benifit us all. To me the unseemly rush looks like a lot of cowboys out to make a quick profit. What major study has the government done to show how safe it is?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

AndrewJB wrote:People talk about shale gas as though if we don’t frack it now it’ll disappear. Right now it’s been found that environmental issues arise due to fracking, and there’s no detailed plan about how the money will be used to benifit us all. To me the unseemly rush looks like a lot of cowboys out to make a quick profit. What major study has the government done to show how safe it is?
Maybe the money generated could be used in schools to promote better spelling? Who knows .
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB mdd2

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Lets face it if Greens were prevalent 200,000 year ago we would still be living in caves.

They've been fracking of sorts in Sussex since 1896 and its only now come to the attention of multi-textiled, baggy trouser, ( or hemp knicker- BOT's) sandal wearers. May be its because there are no other agenda for "swampy wanna-be's " to collectively gather and pursue.

If we could develop, and churn out, more efficient photo-voltaic panels then they'd be complaining that we are using up too much sun-light and there be less light left for our future generations.

We are sat on in excess of 400 years of gas supply at current demand: " In June 2013, the British Geological Survey (BGS) in association with the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS), then known as the Department of Energy and Climate Change, completed an estimate for the resource (gas-in-place) of shale gas in part of central Britain in an area between Wrexham and Blackpool in the west, and Nottingham and Scarborough in the east. The central estimate for the resource was 1,329 trillion cubic feet (tcf) compared to the annual consumption to the UK of just over 3 tcf. " Source UKOOG.

So, why not use it. It will provide local jobs and saves us from transporting it from half way around the globe.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 pm

We should have done it a long time ago. But split ends braless women mainly have stopped it. Well see how they go in when we run out and they freeze.

Where are all the warmists now the Country is in the grip of Siberian type westher. Quiet aren't they.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg 69 WALLOP

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 pm

[quote="AndrewJB"]People talk about shale gas as though if we don’t frack it now it’ll disappear. Right now it’s been found that environmental issues arise due to fracking, and there’s no detailed plan about how the money will be used to benifit us all. To me the unseemly rush looks like a lot of cowboys out to make a quick profit. What major study has the government done to show how safe it is?[/quot

What major study have you seen that proves that it's not safe
By the way unsafe for what exactly.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Stayingup wrote:Where are all the warmists now the Country is in the grip of Siberian type westher. Quiet aren't they.
Good Lord, you can't be serious?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:28 pm

If it be your will wrote:Yes, fracking is a case of a battle between the wealthy and the poor, and allowing Cuadrilla to frack half of Lancashire will certainly sock it to the rich, that's for sure.
Which half exactly ? lancashire is slightly larger than 4 fields and the vicars west lancashire pear tree orchard you know.
You nice and warm ? gas on ? natural fibre product clothing on ? computer running on solar even at this time of year ?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 pm

bfcjg wrote:Maybe the money generated could be used in schools to promote better spelling? Who knows .
And better punctuation too.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg bob-the-scutter

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:06 am

AndrewJB wrote:And better punctuation too.
fracking wasn't available to subsidise my education in the sixties and seventies or I would have been as good as you at punctuation whatever that is#

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:33 am

Stayingup wrote:
You're handed a tablet. Someone says "don't take it. it's not safe" and the person who handed it to you says, "how do you know it's not safe?" What are you going to do?

If you're not familiar with all the horror stories fracking has produced in the US, - most especially around contaminated drinking water - then let me say, "don't take the tablet"

The UK fracking industry claims they are cleaner and better than their US counterparts. All I'm saying is we should do a study to get some proof of this first. All that gas isn't going anywhere. There's no reason to rush.
This user liked this post: RighteousClaret

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:44 am

There are always two sides to every story and the truths in the middle more often then not. I would sooner die slowly over 50 years or so because some detergent has been pumped into the ground to get gas up then die over a weekend because I froze to death.

Man of Kent
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Man of Kent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 am

There are monumental amounts of shale gas all around where I live and almost everyone I know in this area wants it to be extracted. I say go for it and use the tax revenue to further subsidize the fuel costs of the over 65s. And while they're at it, they can put a rig in my garden and give me commission on every litre of the stuff they pull out the ground. Deal !

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am

We still have gas reserves in the North Sea which we are not exploiting

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Some commentators now suggesting Russia threatening gas supplies due to recent events. I think the long haired unwashed anti frackers congregating in West Lancashire be rounded up and washed in cold water.
We need that gas ,energy security will be the new major issue .

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Just put an extra jumper on.

Flatline
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by Flatline » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Bring back coal,it's cheap and you can chuck it at people you don't like.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Longsider wrote:Just put an extra jumper on.
Wont cook my tea though. :)

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5053 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 pm

I'd chop down a tree before I'd give in to a tosser like Putin.

That said, if he did turn off the tap, someone would be more than happy to supply an alternative. Then Europe could put two fingers up to Russia, and they would suffer the loss of revenue through belligerence.
In other words, it ain't going to happen.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2251 times
Has Liked: 2161 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'd chop down a tree before I'd give in to a tosser like Putin.

That said, if he did turn off the tap, someone would be more than happy to supply an alternative. Then Europe could put two fingers up to Russia, and they would suffer the loss of revenue through belligerence.
In other words, it ain't going to happen.
Russia would be a lot worse without Putin my man.

Dejavu
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Dejavu » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 pm

An Island with some of the biggest tides in the whole world. An incredibly reliable source of almost unlimited energy.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm

Where were these "are you still against fracking " morons when we were saying that we should be investing in renewables for the same ******* reason? Dumb *****.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Dejavu wrote:An Island with some of the biggest tides in the whole world. An incredibly reliable source of almost unlimited energy.
Wind is even more feasible.

Flatline
Been Liked: 98 times

Post by Flatline » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Wind is even more feasible.
Not really, wind is unpredictable.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3341 times
Has Liked: 1960 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 pm

bfcjg wrote:There are always two sides to every story and the truths in the middle more often then not. I would sooner die slowly over 50 years or so because some detergent has been pumped into the ground to get gas up then die over a weekend because I froze to death.
Logic.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 pm

I’ve got oil fired heating so I’m okay.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 pm

Dejavu wrote:An Island with some of the biggest tides in the whole world. An incredibly reliable source of almost unlimited energy.
Imploding Turtle wrote:Wind is even more feasible.
Anyone worked out the cost of tidal energy? Anyone worked out the cost of wind power - without the subsidies that have put up the cost of electricity, especially for the "fuel poor?"

Latest wind power news is that many of the offshore wind turbine blades are wearing out a lot faster than predicted, so looks like these big (intermittent) sources of energy will be costing a lot more as the blades get refurbished or replaced.

We should think of fracking as similar to coal mining, but with two big advantages: 1) natural gas is a lot, lot cleaner to burn than coal and 2) we don't need to send men and women down mines to dig out the coal, with all the associated health and safety issues.

As it is, every time we fill up our cars with petrol or diesel we are benefiting from the US hydraulic fracturing industry maintaining high levels of crude oil production, in addition to very high levels of natural gas production. The extra oil supply is what has brought oil prices down - and so also keeps the cost of petrol and diesel "reasonable."

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:54 pm

CoolClaret wrote:Russia would be a lot worse without Putin my man.
And Putin would be even worse off without Russia and the gullible people who tolerate
their living conditions and an economy less productive than ours despite huge natural resources

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2251 times
Has Liked: 2161 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 am

mdd2 wrote:And Putin would be even worse off without Russia and the gullible people who tolerate
their living conditions and an economy less productive than ours despite huge natural resources
The grass isn't always greener.
The instibility after the fall off the USSR was ridiculous, like a game of thrones.
It's the wild west(in the east) and he's keeping order.

Let's also not pretend like we never have double agents murdered in foreign countries....

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by starting_11 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 am

bfcjg wrote:Some commentators now suggesting Russia threatening gas supplies due to recent events. I think the long haired unwashed anti frackers congregating in West Lancashire be rounded up and washed in cold water.
We need that gas ,energy security will be the new major issue .
Russia can't afford to NOT sell gas to anybody. Don't worry about it.

Summers coming anyway.

It's funny how people are quick to negatively view our government but always quick to believe foreign despots...

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5171 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 am

Lancaster has the right idea, even if he sounds a little bit preposterous with that exclamation mark.

Our coal and fracking reserves are easily the most reliable and cost-effective ways forward. We are blessed with fantastic fossil fuel reserves which have powered us for generations and will continue to do so long into the future.

However, for energy security we need a balanced approach. We need a good mix of gas, oil, coal and nuclear power plants.

We also need to invest in "renewables" like wind and solar. Although they are massively inefficient and costly we desperately need to progress in these areas. There may yet come a time when we have millions and millions of mini-generators powering the nation rather than central power plants.

Of course, the really big win would be sustainable, cost-effective nuclear fusion.
This user liked this post: Guich

COYC73
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by COYC73 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:03 am

We live on an island....get tidal power figured out and we’re laughing!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3080 times
Has Liked: 5053 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 am

CoolClaret wrote:Russia would be a lot worse without Putin my man.
That's like saying Syria would be a lot worse off without Saddam Hussein.
They bring order and discipline and national pride, they don't bring justice or peace. Unless your on their side of course. By that I mean their lackies not you personally.
Russians still have a deep fear of democracy.