Nakhi Wells

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Safron
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 177 times

Nakhi Wells

Post by Safron » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:00 pm

As this lad been abducted?

boiledclaret
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 1022 times

Re: Nakhi Wells

Post by boiledclaret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:03 pm

It's been an odd signing, by the look of things.

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by IndigoLake » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:17 pm

I think a lot of people thought it was an odd signing at the time and I don't think anything has changed opinion on that. Was unsure he had the quality to improve the team (aside from having some pace) and he's just not had a look in. Hope we move him on this summer.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8755 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:51 pm

You never know.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:13 pm

You'd still have a fire extinguisher in a building, even though there was little chance of ever needing it.

It seems to me that he was bought as an emergency - just in case. Because he's better than bringing someone through the Youth team. It's only been an odd signing, because we haven't needed him. Had we needed him, we'd have then been glad of the signing.
These 6 users liked this post: CombatClaret burnley007 BertiesBeehole Buxtonclaret PaintYorkClaretnBlue blackburnturfite

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:08 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You'd still have a fire extinguisher in a building, even though there was little chance of ever needing it.

It seems to me that he was bought as an emergency - just in case. Because he's better than bringing someone through the Youth team. It's only been an odd signing, because we haven't needed him. Had we needed him, we'd have then been glad of the signing.
Bringing someone through the youth team ? Imagine that. Strange signing, not the only one last summer to be fair though.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:20 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Bringing someone through the youth team ? Imagine that. Strange signing, not the only one last summer to be fair though.
So you'd rather have a youth player on the bench who has no League experience whatsoever, is no doubt not as good as Wells, whilst still chasing Premier League survival?

Fair enough. I wouldn't.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:23 pm

FactualFrank wrote:So you'd rather have a youth player on the bench who has no League experience whatsoever
How much Premier League experience did Wells have when we signed him?

I think Dan Agyei still has more Premier League minutes than him.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:26 pm

FactualFrank wrote:So you'd rather have a youth player on the bench who has no Premier League experience whatsoever, is no doubt not as good as Wells, whilst still chasing Premier League survival?

Fair enough. I wouldn't.
I think you’ve misunderstood. What I meant was that it appears there’s very little chance of us ever bringing through a youth team player that is considered good enough for the Premier League. Pretty sure that not a single youth team product has started a league game under Sean Dyche’s management. So, yes, filling the squad out with signings such as Wells and Walters can perhaps be considered not strange, however that certainly doesn’t make them good signings.
As I said, some poor signings last summer.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4076 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Fair enough, maybe he has made some poor signings.
He's not perfect and not many managers get em all right.

But I think SDs got enough credit in the bank now to accommodate that, don't you?
This user liked this post: BennyD

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:46 pm

SC, not really; very few transfers have gone straight in the first 11; we are holding him back for ‘strength in depth’. He will come good if SD requires it.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:53 pm

BennyD wrote:Not really; very few transfers have gone straight in the first 11; we are holding him back for ‘strength in depth’. He will come good if SD requires it.
That was my point. I think it's strange that people think the transfer was strange. I see it as very very easy thing to understand.
We wanted somebody here who was going to be the last option - but the last option can sometimes be needed in football. If you get down to your bare bones, with the window closed, it's too late, so what do you do then? For the sake of a few million, which we can afford, it made perfect sense to bring someone in who can do a job, if needed. Why aren't more people understanding that?

So no - it wasn't a strange transfer. It was a cheap transfer (when talking relatively), for somebody who was better than we had in the youth. It was also quite clearly the best we could have got in SD's and the board's mind, otherwise we'd have signed better.
These 3 users liked this post: BennyD boatshed bill halfmanhalfbiscuit

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I agree with everything you say. Maybe you are as perceptive as me and SD are. :)
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank halfmanhalfbiscuit boiledclaret

halfmanhalfbiscuit
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 352 times

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:15 pm

FactualFrank wrote:That was my point. I think it's strange that people think the transfer was strange. I see it as very very easy thing to understand.
We wanted somebody here who was going to be the last option - but the last option can sometimes be needed in football. If you get down to your bare bones, with the window closed, it's too late, so what do you do then? For the sake of a few million, which we can afford, it made perfect sense to bring someone in who can do a job, if needed. Why aren't more people understanding that?

So no - it wasn't a strange transfer. It was a cheap transfer (when talking relatively), for somebody who was better than we had in the youth. It was also quite clearly the best we could have got in SD's and the board's mind, otherwise we'd have signed better.
And who's to say he doesn't pop up with a goal this season?
One goal to claim a couple of points would far outweigh his transfer fee and wages.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Garforth Claret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Garforth Claret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:28 pm

He’s injured, got splints in his arse from sitting on bench

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Whitgord » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Splinters maybe, but surely not splints!!

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:39 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You'd still have a fire extinguisher in a building, even though there was little chance of ever needing it.

If you bought a fire extinguisher you would at least make sure it had water in. He wasnt able to play for the first half of the seson!

Anyway todays not the day to pick signings apart.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:I think you’ve misunderstood. What I meant was that it appears there’s very little chance of us ever bringing through a youth team player that is considered good enough for the Premier League. Pretty sure that not a single youth team product has started a league game under Sean Dyche’s management. So, yes, filling the squad out with signings such as Wells and Walters can perhaps be considered not strange, however that certainly doesn’t make them good signings.
As I said, some poor signings last summer.
Incredible post.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 pm

It’s called a Squad
This user liked this post: FactualFrank