Statement from West Ham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Statement from West Ham

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am

West Ham United have issued the following statement this morning following Saturday's events.

West Ham United are committed to taking decisive and positive action with the primary focus of ensuring London Stadium is a safe, comfortable and secure environment for supporters attending future matches.

Following the incidents which marred the second half of the Premier League fixture with Burnley on Saturday 10 March, the Club is conducting a full and thorough investigation, and has attended a series of emergency meetings with London Stadium stakeholders.

The Club is working in close conjunction with the Metropolitan Police to identify those individuals, who entered the pitch during the second half, and with stadium operator LS185, using London Stadium’s high-quality CCTV footage, to identify those who threw missiles, both of which are specific offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991.

Any individual found guilty will be banned from attending any West Ham United fixture, home and away, for life and the Club will request the courts serve a banning order to prevent these individuals attending any football matches in the future.

West Ham United maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards any behaviour of this nature, with the safety of all supporters always the Club’s number one priority.

Senior Club representatives will take a full and leading role at an emergency meeting of the core Safety Advisory Group (SAG) at London Stadium on Thursday.

There, West Ham United will be joined by representatives from LS185, certifying authority Newham Council, the Sports Ground Safety Authority, the Metropolitan Police, E20 and the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC).

The Club will make clear that its primary concern is for the safety and comfort of its supporters on matchdays and, to that end, will lead discussions centred on the safety management plans put in place and the policing and stewarding for future fixtures at London Stadium, the first of which will be the Premier League visit of Southampton on Saturday 31 March.

West Ham United would like to thank all those fans who supported the team on Saturday and look forward to welcoming them back to a safe, comfortable and secure London Stadium.

With eight Premier League matches still to play, achieving the points we need has to be the focus. The best chance of reaching that goal is for everyone to be united behind the team when we play Southampton on 31 March and for the remainder of the season.

upanatem
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Re: Statement from West Ham

Post by upanatem » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am

What is missing is an apology to Burnley FC, its players and fans.
These 22 users liked this post: longsidepies Sidney1st Silkyskills1 Goobs Clarets4me Juan Tanamera Zom Zom Cirrus_Minor mybloodisclaret No Ney Never IndigoLake blackburnturfite rincon dpinsussex moaninclaret The Enclosure IanMcL ClaretTricks paulus the woodgnome cutsy123 MrClaretandBlue ontario claret

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:57 am

upanatem wrote:What is missing is an apology to Burnley FC, its players and fans.
My exact first thoughts.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 am

upanatem wrote:What is missing is an apology to Burnley FC, its players and fans.
Did you really expect one from that lot?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 am

I'm taking the 3-0 win and the second half collapse as an apology and one that could mean a hell of a lot more to be honest

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 pm

This has been the season that has put me against most of the London clubs, maybe with the exception of Palace. The rest I have no time for because of their cheating players, moaning fans and false sense of superiority. Big time charlies who deserve taking down a peg or two. Burnley FC and their fans have emerged with nothing but credit from the West Ham debacle. Went there, did the job and got the points! I wouldn't expect the type of people who run West Ham to give anyone else credit for anything.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:58 pm

"The Club is working in close conjunction with the Metropolitan Police to identify those individuals, who entered the pitch during the second half, and with stadium operator LS185, using London Stadium’s high-quality CCTV footage, to identify those who threw missiles, both of which are specific offences under the Football (Offences) Act 1991."

1) Are The FA/Premier League looking at the events? Will WHU be subject to any sanctions?

2) I understand the 61 year old man who picked up the corner flag and walked to the centre spot with it handed himself in the next day at Hatfield Police Station. If this is correct, it suggests he wasn't arrested/detained after invading the pitch, carrying what could have been used as an offensive weapon.

3) There is no truth in reports that LS185 will also be using the "high-quality CCTV footage" to identify their stewards who attended the game - and, those who didn't show up. ;)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Paul Waine wrote:"Are The FA/Premier League looking at the events? Will WHU be subject to any sanctions?
I think the FA set a precedent after the Wigan match against Man City when the supporter went up to Aguero. If they didn't punish Wigan they couldn't really punish West Ham either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... n-fan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm

I hope the cost of any police involvement isn't coming out the pockets of the tax payer. We've already been fleeced by that bunch of scroungers.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 pm

They really don't need to apologise to me. Rolling over and playing dead whilst we banged in 3 goals and had it away on our toes with the 3 points was all I really needed tbh. I had a great time!!! :P
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Spijed wrote:I think the FA set a precedent after the Wigan match against Man City when the supporter went up to Aguero. If they didn't punish Wigan they couldn't really punish West Ham either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... n-fan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isn't the Wigan situation different - pitch invasion after the final whistle?

How many fans "entered the field of play" at London Stadium while the game was still in progress? Was there a risk that the game would be abandoned, particularly with the lack of stewards (and police) to control the situation?

If they don't punish West Ham, where is the next pitch invasion?
Sutton-Claret wrote:I hope the cost of any police involvement isn't coming out the pockets of the tax payer. We've already been fleeced by that bunch of scroungers.

I've read somewhere that the "tax payer" picks up the tab for security at London Stadium. Of course, this needs looking at again. It may not be West Ham's fault that they aren't in charge (and paying the bill) for crowd security in the stadium that they use... (We know they don't own London Stadium. Do West Ham lease it or have a license to use it for their home games)?

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm

If the pitch invaders are ST holders West Ham should punish them by automatically renewing them for next season.. ;-)
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Spijed wrote:I think the FA set a precedent after the Wigan match against Man City when the supporter went up to Aguero. If they didn't punish Wigan they couldn't really punish West Ham either.

The key word in your post is 'after'. This was 'during' and repeatedly 'during'. Different set of circumstances, could,ed with crowd disturbance and threats to others in the ground.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't a serious sanction for this. Hopefully points deduction.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Some right mard arses on here.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:The key word in your post is 'after'. This was 'during' and repeatedly 'during'. Different set of circumstances, could,ed with crowd disturbance and threats to others in the ground.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't a serious sanction for this. Hopefully points deduction.
Rovers didn't get any sanction though.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:33 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Some right mard arses on here.
Aye it was a massive massive invasion wasn't it not.. :lol:

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

No apology needed for me.

3 points, good day out, lots of laughs, spectacular collapse of West Ham and home in one piece afterwards.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone expoultryboy

blackburnturfite
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by blackburnturfite » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:They really don't need to apologise to me. Rolling over and playing dead whilst we banged in 3 goals and had it away on our toes with the 3 points was all I really needed tbh. I had a great time!!! :P
I think we are under-estimating the way Burnley played the 2nd half, we kept our heads,and took the game to them, hence 3pts.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Why should they be banned home and away for life? what's the difference between entering the pitch to celebrate a goal and entering like the West Ham fans did? Was the guy with the corner flag being aggressive or a risk to players? No. The players were never put in any danger by anyone entering the pitch. The owners looking to ban the ones unhappy will only end 1 way, those West Ham bunch will stick together and we'll soon see an awful lot of empty seats.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Some right mard arses on here.
I was just thinking same...chip paper now.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

blackburnturfite wrote:I think we are under-estimating the way Burnley played the 2nd half, we kept our heads,and took the game to them, hence 3pts.
Good point. West Ham didn't just collapse, Sean Dyche brought Wood on. He was the difference, not the fans, they just helped.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

houseboy wrote:Good point. West Ham didn't just collapse, Sean Dyche brought Wood on. He was the difference, not the fans, they just helped.
I think there were several factors tbh. They pretty much dominated the first half and should have been leading, but didn't take advantage. Had they got in front it could have been very, very different and how much unrest would we have seen then I wonder?? Bringing Wood on was a tactical masterstroke and US getting that first (brilliantly set up and finished) goal was vital. After that we immediately got the first fan on the pitch and from then on their crowd and players alike fell apart and I definitely felt both lost all interest in the game itself and allowed us to take full advantage, which we did! It was obvious we were Burnley fans when we left for the station because we were the ones who couldn't stop laughing! :P
This user liked this post: houseboy

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm

West Ham wouldn't pay for any increased police, the stadium owners, ultimately the taxpayers, would.

The Agreement is here if anyone is feeling particularly bored https://1drv.ms/b/s!Atnj-YxkG3VkhL1py6tAwhodD1KE6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 pm

The fact WHU want to take over the stewarding from the stadium owners suggests they think the stadium owners have been scrimping on the costs of stewarding properly.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:The fact WHU want to take over the stewarding from the stadium owners suggests they think the stadium owners have been scrimping on the costs of stewarding properly.
But who's responsible for the food? To say it's an Olympic stadium covering all nationals a three foot sausage in a bun at £5.50 is a pretty poor effort their catering makes the turf look like the ritz.well done Burnley.

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1475 times
Has Liked: 634 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:27 pm

tim_noone wrote:But who's responsible for the food? To say it's an Olympic stadium covering all nationals a three foot sausage in a bun at £5.50 is a pretty poor effort their catering makes the turf look like the ritz.well done Burnley.

The Stadium owners I should think.

WHU are just tennants.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:The fact WHU want to take over the stewarding from the stadium owners suggests they think the stadium owners have been scrimping on the costs of stewarding properly.
Or that a quiet word from the PL/FA has been muttered in the ears of Sullivan/Gold/Brady and they’ve been told that if they don’t take it over then they’ll be facing points deductions and other sanctions.....

Bearing in mind this is Sullivan and Gold we’re talking about I’d be more inclined to think the latter! They don’t want to kill the goose laying golden eggs....

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 pm

I recall, when some previous trouble occurred at the ground (between home & away fans), WHU offered a deal whereby the stadium managing Co. gave WHU the money they spend on security, WHU would add some extra money of their own and manage it themselves. It seemed a reasonable compromise but came to nothing.
It does seem that security is scrimped on to save money (but that's somewhat due to the low rent WHU are paying I guess). It'd be better for the footy side of things if the above solution was agreed but then where would that leave security for any athletics events?
Thankfully not our problem anyway.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 pm

tim_noone wrote:But who's responsible for the food? To say it's an Olympic stadium covering all nationals a three foot sausage in a bun at £5.50 is a pretty poor effort their catering makes the turf look like the ritz.well done Burnley.
Haha! I almost got one but went for the chicken balti pie in the end. Was tasty although the pastry wasn’t the best. 7/10.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:Haha! I almost got one but went for the chicken balti pie in the end. Was tasty although the pastry wasn’t the best. 7/10.
The sausage in a bun was really good, none of the pies appealed to me :(