Size of Burnley, TV money and future signings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
halfmanhalfbiscuit
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 352 times

Size of Burnley, TV money and future signings

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

As we continue to improve as a football club does the relevance of the size of our town, the ground and the support start to diminish.
I don’t know where the players live but I can only imagine it’s Manchester if you like the city, or some renovated farm house if you like the country. Both are easily accessible.
Most football isn’t watched in a ground any more. It’s watched on a screen, with a worldwide audience. With the actual live match day experience becoming less important.
Teams in lower leagues don’t have the luxury of TV money so their reliance on gate receipts is greater.
Obviously top players want to play in big stadiums full of supporters. But if you take the massive city clubs with 80 thousand capacities out of the equation there is no reason why we can’t continue to compete at our current level.
This summer we’ll be looking at the next level of player

Given our achievements this year I can’t see why we’ll not be considered as a genuinely good option for some real talent, either domestic or European.
I’ll use Steven Defour as an example.
Defour is and was a brilliant signing. It took him a while, and most people thought he was on his way after his first season. But what a player we’ve ended up with.
However, I do think we were slightly fortuitous with his signing. Maybe a culmination of a few things came together to help us. Out of favour at Anderlecht and with the Belgium national side. Maybe saw us as a route into English football. Whatever, he came and improved our team.
Now that we’ve progressed even further I’d say we’re no longer considered a risk to players, in fact were possibly considered a big move.
I think our next transfer window could well be stunning.
No wholesale changes but some of the peripheral squad will go and be replaced by some serious talent.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5084 times
Has Liked: 6895 times

Re: Size of Burnley, TV money and future signings

Post by bfcjg » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 pm

I think footballers are so wealthy they might just want what we have to offer. Great club, no egos ,treated with respect, team spirit,fans who just want effort, brilliant directors ,location ok it rains a bit but come on moors lakes countryside the singing ringing tree etc . :)

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 pm

If you believe what you read in t'papers, these are the numbers from our 1st EPL season under The Great Man:

Income Gate and match-day income £6m; TV and broadcasting £67m; Catering £1m; Commercial £3m; Retail £1m

The only one of those numbers that would have changed substantially is the TV revenue, so match day income is a relatively small fraction of our total income. Therefore a team getting crowds of 30/40k won't have a huge advantage over us, unless their commercial income substantially outstrips us.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 pm

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote: Defour is and was a brilliant signing. It took him a while, and most people thought he was on his way after his first season. But what a player we’ve ended up with.
However, I do think we were slightly fortuitous with his signing. Maybe a culmination of a few things came together to help us. Out of favour at Anderlecht and with the Belgium national side. Maybe saw us as a route into English football. Whatever, he came and improved our team.
Of course he saw it as a route into English football, we're an English football club.

He has improved us but we've improved him as well. I'll bet that Standard Liege, Porto or Anderlecht fans haven't seen him chase a player for 30 yards and make a tackle, he wouldn't have had to.

I don't think we were fortuitous in signing him either. Our best man went over to Belgium and said..... Look you're coming to Burnley, I'm going to make you a better player, so shut it!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:46 pm

If we make Europe then you'd imagine the quality of player interested in signing for us will increase significantly. Whether we're willing to shell out for them is a different matter.

Even without Europe the club's reputation has risen considerably. So I'd agree that this summer could be very interesting in terms of transfers. I dont expect wholesale changes but the quality of incomings should be of a much better standard you'd hope.

Rightly so, we'll have our limitations financially but strike whilst the iron is hot I say.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Of course he saw it as a route into English football, we're an English football club.

He has improved us but we've improved him as well. I'll bet that Standard Liege, Porto or Anderlecht fans haven't seen him chase a player for 30 yards and make a tackle, he wouldn't have had to.

I don't think we were fortuitous in signing him either. Our best man went over to Belgium and said..... Look you're coming to Burnley, I'm going to make you a better player, so shut it!
I did only say slightly fortuitous. And I’d also add that a lot of people were pleasantly surprised that he’d signed. This isn’t a criticism of our club. I’m saying we played it well.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Lancashire is a beautiful part of the world.
In the past I think people have asked why would players want to come to Burnley when you could play in (another) big city.
But it’s not as if players are going to live behind the Park View.
Top players want to play on the top stage, and that’s where we are.
I think the size of the town is becoming less important as each TV year goes by.

I’m not suggesting for one second that support isn’t critical, it is.
I’m simply looking at it objectively to offer an opinion that possibly players from all around the world would fancy having a go here.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kcet4aPpQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:58 pm

One of the biggest gripes of the North Eastern clubs is how they struggle to attract better quality players, unless they over pay in wages.

It's usually said that the players would rather live in London, or failing that Manchester and the surrounding area.

We can take advantage of that because we are close enough to Manchester that players would come to Burnley.
Coupled to our modern training facilities, respected manager and being in the top flight makes things a little easier for us to compete for better players.
Having someone like Defour at the club will also help, well known and respected player who's made several comments, either personally or via a 3rd party, that he's enjoying his time at the club very much.
These 2 users liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit piston broke

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Environmental factors certainly didn't stop some top players rocking up
at that sh!t pit down the motorway when Jack Walker got hold of it.

They went for the money, but of course the riches on offer are now at every club in the PL.
Some bigger than others, of course, but certainly a more level playing field.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Sidney1st wrote:One of the biggest gripes of the North Eastern clubs is how they struggle to attract better quality players, unless they over pay in wages.

It's usually said that the players would rather live in London, or failing that Manchester and the surrounding area.

We can take advantage of that because we are close enough to Manchester that players would come to Burnley.
Coupled to our modern training facilities, respected manager and being in the top flight makes things a little easier for us to compete for better players.
Having someone like Defour at the club will also help, well known and respected player who's made several comments, either personally or via a 3rd party, that he's enjoying his time at the club very much.
Exactly, and how much do you reckon you could boot a Lamborghini down the M66?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:Exactly, and how much do you reckon you could boot a Lamborghini down the M66?
Probably quicker than I've ever done it and I'm not slow...... 8-)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6389 times
Has Liked: 8738 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Gate and other funding streams are limited by the size of Burnley. However, a successful period in the Prem and some European exposure would encourage greater soonsorship income....provided we actually got on TV.

The greater exposure and regular Prem league will also attract a much greater demand for Burnley products worldwide.

Players have already come to us from both Manchester clubs. We are a club if opportunity but never riches. Certainly a very decent income compared with most of the rest of the world.

We are a football town where lifetime legendary is possible.

International careers are created or resurrected.

All sounds good to me.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Probably quicker than I've ever done it and I'm not slow...... 8-)
Is that because your Lamborghini is yellow?

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 pm

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:Is that because your Lamborghini is yellow?
I wish I had one.
Been lucky enough to drive one once through work, that's it though.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Good managers attract good players, and Sean Dyche is a very good manager.
Every year he stays and we're in the Premier League, the squad will get stronger.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:Good managers attract good players, and Sean Dyche is a very good manager.
Every year he stays and we're in the Premier League, the squad will get stronger.
Yes they do.
But not only do we offer this, we also offer an international stage with potential worldwide super stardom. Global media coverage from arguably the best league in the world.
All brought to you direct from Brunshaw Road. Not bad is it?
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:15 pm

I’ll just throw in non-foreign ownership.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:22 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I’ll just throw in non-foreign ownership.
It's not happened yet though

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 pm

I said that as a reason why the club has been successful and why Dyche is still with us.

Just to add I sincerely hope that we don’t get ownership from abroad.
This user liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I said that as a reason why the club has been successful and why Dyche is still with us.

Just to add I sincerely hope that we don’t get ownership from abroad.
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood.
I’d also say that if we did have some potential billionaire foreign investor interested, we’d chase em off with a shitty stick.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Sidney1st wrote:One of the biggest gripes of the North Eastern clubs is how they struggle to attract better quality players, unless they over pay in wages.

Give it a few years.....and Burnley will be...........in the Northern Powerhouse.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 pm

And hopefully, Rovers in the Northern Poorhouse. :)
This user liked this post: WestMidsClaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:40 pm

We are well known round the world now. Thats what the premier league does. I was at milan airport last month and I had the sky blue training top on. Security said 'city - oh no its Burnley!!!'

Not only being in this league but having beaten all but Arsenal (though we did do them in the cup) has made us even more well known.

Players dont really care who we are. All they care about in the main is money and career progression. We offer both.

Geographically we are much better positioned than Newcastle, Swansea, Leicester, West Brom, and arguably Palace, Bournemouth and Southampton given the hassle of driving to London or being on public transport as a footballer.

They could live in Manchester city centre, Cheshire, The Dales and maybe even The Lakes here. If they really wanted to - Stoops.

Under an hour from one of the worlds major airports.

Burnley is a great opportunity. And as much as the premier league has its sick side. Its been excellent for our club and town. I feel we are in it at just the right time. Coyle leaving and maybe even Flood was a blessing. We are well run. Debt free. Ambitious but astute.

Great times.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:12 am

You’re right, CFC. I really do hope we spend a little on the ground soon though, whilst we have the riches. If we do eventually go down it might now happen for a very long time, and the outside of the ground needs some serious attention on the main stand (it’s the main stand!) and arguably the outside of the Cricket Field. We should look the part as well, whilst still retaining our traditional look and feel. Nothing wrong with sprucing things up.

I know it’s slightly off topic, but...

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 am

Claretforever wrote:You’re right, CFC. I really do hope we spend a little on the ground soon though, whilst we have the riches. If we do eventually go down it might now happen for a very long time, and the outside of the ground needs some serious attention on the main stand (it’s the main stand!) and arguably the outside of the Cricket Field. We should look the part as well, whilst still retaining our traditional look and feel. Nothing wrong with sprucing things up.

I know it’s slightly off topic, but...
Its a fair point. But I also think while your swanseas, middlesbroughs, leicesters and readings play in the same stadium different colour seats our rickety old four sider surrounded by moors, terraces and chimneys is what also sets us apart for players, fans and tourists alike.

Lets tidy it up but not **** it up. Lets keep the away dressing room small, dark and cold.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its a fair point. But I also think while your swanseas, middlesbroughs, leicesters and readings play in the same stadium different colour seats our rickety old four sider surrounded by moors, terraces and chimneys is what also sets us apart for players, fans and tourists alike.

Lets tidy it up but not **** it up. Lets keep the away dressing room small, dark and cold.
I agree. There's no point trying to be like Swansea, Leicester, etc - that way we risk being seen as a less attractive version of them. We want to be ourselves and attract the players that like a club like us. It makes us into a slightly different market.

The big advantage we have now is that in the past, we were basically signing the players that other clubs in the Premier League didn't want. If the money was equal, the player would prefer to go somewhere more established. That's no longer true.
These 2 users liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit cricketfieldclarets

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

dsr wrote:I agree. There's no point trying to be like Swansea, Leicester, etc - that way we risk being seen as a less attractive version of them. We want to be ourselves and attract the players that like a club like us. It makes us into a slightly different market.

The big advantage we have now is that in the past, we were basically signing the players that other clubs in the Premier League didn't want. If the money was equal, the player would prefer to go somewhere more established. That's no longer true.
Spot on, some of the players we’ve recently signed have been out of necessity.
Bardsley and Walters for example.
I’m not being critical of these players, far from it they’ve played their part and may have more to do this season.
But I think next time round we’ll have better options.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 am

dsr wrote:I agree. There's no point trying to be like Swansea, Leicester, etc - that way we risk being seen as a less attractive version of them. We want to be ourselves and attract the players that like a club like us. It makes us into a slightly different market.

The pop up stadiums are ****.
People will realise they’re rubbish and stop building them.
Our ground and the terrace landscape is something people talk to me about all the time.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr cricketfieldclarets