Pickford, Butland, Hart, Pope

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Pickford, Butland, Hart, Pope

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Just had a look over the goals from today and I genuinely think that Nick Pope is currently the best English keeper available to Gareth Southgate.

Let me know if you disagree with the below from today -

Stoke 1 - 2 Everton

All goals were a result of goalkeeper error.

1st goal, Butland drops an easy catch, Tosun smashes in the rebound.
2nd goal, Pickford stays on his line instead of claiming the cross, he would’ve been clattered but you need to be brave there.
3rd goal, Butland punches a header that’s straight at him ,into the net

Last week

West Ham 0-3 Burnley

3rd goal, Hart drops an easy take and Wood scores the rebound in his first start for a long time.

Would it be fair to assume that Nick Pope should be very disappointed not to get some good minutes in these friendlies and potentially at least have a chance to be number 1?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Pickford, Butland, Hart, Pope

Post by martin_p » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 pm

I read in one of the national newspapers that Pope may lose out because of lack of international experience.... to Jordan Pickford with his one cap!

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Given just said on MOTD that Butland was unlucky with the first but I thought there was no touch by Tosun so it has to go down against Butland.
Pope is the best of the four currently.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 pm

martin_p wrote:I read in one of the national newspapers that Pope may lose out because of lack of international experience.... to Jordan Pickford with his one cap!
And the England womens assistant manager on BT.today said in a dyche type voice it's Butland for her/him.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:37 pm

I saw that Tim.... I just thought WTF :)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 pm

Id take Hart as 3rd gk. The squad lacks experience in tournaments. Hes one of very few who’ve currently won trophies. Pope is the best based of stats and watching him looks unfazed by anything. A club manager in Dyche that wont let failure, mistakes define him. Ive full confidence in Southgate. Its a tough job is England. The media fans love failure more than they do success.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they get to the semis at least. City win the league, Spurs the cup and city again in the CL or dont get disgraced in it and we’ll have plenty full of confidence.

LTUK89
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by LTUK89 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm

I think Given might have just hinted at Pope to start.

Asked who should play at the World Cup he said he'd worked with Hart and worked with Butland but he thinks the keeper in form should start. Twinkle in his eye.

There's only one English keeper in form at the moment.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:06 am

... but will Pope still be playing regularly for Burnley when the World Cup comes round???

bobinho
Been Liked: 4071 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 am

Provided he doesn’t make a catastrophic mistake, yes he will.

Heaton doesn’t start again until pope seriously messes up or is injured.

Pope won’t see action for England. Southgate will use experience as the excuse not to play him.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 am

Some glory hunters on here....we were all Irish last year!!

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am

Heaton was on media duty today with R5 and said he hopes to be in contention for his jersey after the International break. For me it is a no brainer. Keep Pope in between the sticks, he is in form and his country needs him as he is better in every system of measurement than the other contenders.

Hart's tournament experience? Last time out at the Euros he was dire.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 am

Dyched wrote:Id take Hart as 3rd gk. The squad lacks experience in tournaments. Hes one of very few who’ve currently won trophies. Pope is the best based of stats and watching him looks unfazed by anything. A club manager in Dyche that wont let failure, mistakes define him. Ive full confidence in Southgate. Its a tough job is England. The media fans love failure more than they do success.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they get to the semis at least. City win the league, Spurs the cup and city again in the CL or dont get disgraced in it and we’ll have plenty full of confidence.
If they want to take Hart for experience, then let them. There's no limit on how many coaches they have - so he can go as a goalkeeping coach. But there's no use filling up a squad place with someone who has experience and used to be very good, but isn't now.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone tybfc MT03ALG

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:31 am

Just don’t get this “experience” argument when it comes to England squad.
Experience in what ? Doing shi-te in tournaments ? Bottling it against the likes of Iceland ? Losing every important game for the last 60 years ?

England can’t win the World Cup with the squad they have at the moment - most of the first team can’t get in their club sides.

Take the people in form irrespective of age or experience - nothing to lose and they may play without fear for a change.
This user liked this post: Shore claret

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 am

I still think Hart will be our number 1 in Russia so long as he gets game time at WHU. Think you'll find experience does count for a lot. Hart also has a lot to prove after a couple of what I would call unsuccessful loans and he will want a good move this summer. A successful WC campaign can only help. Taking my claret tinted glasses off I think Butland will be No 2 and then the third spot between Pope and Pickford. Incidentally I wouldn't swap Pope for any of the other three options but when fully fit I would expect Heaton to return to our No1.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 am

That’s been the problem with England for 50 years- picking players who are out of form or no longer good enough, just because they’ve done it before. The fact that they’ve repeatedly failed doesn’t seem to matter.

BroadIslandClaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by BroadIslandClaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:52 am

bobinho wrote:Provided he doesn’t make a catastrophic mistake, yes he will.

Heaton doesn’t start again until pope seriously messes up or is injured.

Pope won’t see action for England. Southgate will use experience as the excuse not to play him.
Totally agree. There isn`t a cat in hells chance Pope gets `dropped` again this season unless something utterly calamitous happens and Pope has a meltdown - NOT going to happen.

Pickford has an obvious weakness of not knowing when to come or when to stay and ends up in no man`s land on a REGULAR basis. Butland for me isn`t physically imposing enough. Hart...what`s the point in commenting???? Pope should be given (BUT WON`T BE) at least one half in the upcoming friendlies to show his value.

Southgate saying "if it were tomorrow I know who I`d be taking to Russia" CLEARLY shows Pope NOR Tarkowski will be on the plane barring injuries to one the out of form shoe-ins.

BroadIslandClaret

Post by BroadIslandClaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:17 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:I still think Hart will be our number 1 in Russia so long as he gets game time at WHU. Think you'll find experience does count for a lot. Hart also has a lot to prove after a couple of what I would call unsuccessful loans and he will want a good move this summer. A successful WC campaign can only help. Taking my claret tinted glasses off I think Butland will be No 2 and then the third spot between Pope and Pickford. Incidentally I wouldn't swap Pope for any of the other three options but when fully fit I would expect Heaton to return to our No1.
It counted for a lot on the last European Championships when he dropped two clangers (down to his left) which along with the ineptness of the rest of the team led to our humiliating exit. Agree with you though that, unbelievably, Hart will be No.1 and Butland 2 but alas, because of Pickford`s international experience :lol: , he will get the nod over Pope.

Regards your `Burnley` point, I feel you`re right. Heaton will be back between the sticks and for me, Pope will be off to Arsenal (one year under Cech then the No.1).

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 am

Hart isn't currently playing for what is a poor side and when he does not very well. Should be nowhere near this England squad. Weak decision making.

BroadIslandClaret

Post by BroadIslandClaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 am

Blackrod wrote:Hart isn't currently playing for what is a poor side and when he does not very well. Should be nowhere near this England squad. Weak decision making.
Weak decision by Hart, Southgate or both of `em?

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 am

martin_p wrote:I read in one of the national newspapers that Pope may lose out because of lack of international experience.... to Jordan Pickford with his one cap!
He overcame his lack of Premier League experience pretty rapidly.
This user liked this post: BroadIslandClaret

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 am

Experience is gained by first of all being capped and friendly games allow for new players to be capped. For some reason a succession of England managers have failed to understand the concept and countless players have been called into squads to watch countless underperforming players gain even more caps.

And people wonder why England can't even compete?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:42 am

Pickford looks very indecisive at the moment. Stuck to his line for the Barnes goal and yesterday didn't come for a cross. Probably lacks the physical presence too. Some however will love his wacky kicking of the ball, not always sure about that technique. Looks good when it comes off but I don't it's reliable. Decent stop shopper, Everton have paid far too much for him.

Butland making errors so some of the pundits think it will be Hart who's confidence must be at its lowest ever!

The bit I heard on MOTD last night with angry empty head and given, there was no mention of Pope.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 am

NL Claret wrote: The bit I heard on MOTD last night with angry empty head and given, there was no mention of Pope.
Exactly that, I don't think either of them were even aware of Pope being in the next squad, or they simply dismissed it out of turn.

Keown even stated that the errors were good for Joe Hart!

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:02 am

I believe that Hart was the main reason we went out of the Euro’s last time out.

His mistakes lead to a lack of confidence in him from the team which in turn meant more pressure on them to perform.

They were playing knowing that if the opposition had a shot it was likely a goal as the keeper was having a mare.

We started the game against Iceland quite well, went in front but then Hart let one in and we fell apart completely.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:29 am

Has to be Pope on form alone.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am

Pope will probably go, Butland has a solid two months left to get injured yet.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 1559 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:41 am

I expect him to take hart, butland and Pickford. Personally I would think 1.butland 2.pickford3.pope. Should be where we are right now. Although if nick continues on this curve he’s on he could be no.1 by next tournament.

I’d rather not take harts losing experience, if I remember rightly his excuse for being abysmal at the euros was being too hyped up. Not the sort of experience to share with the ‘young bucks’.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:19 pm

when asked about leaving Cahill out of this current squad, Southgate said " a really difficult decision, he's a great guy". That just sums up England, and Southgate, it's the popularity that counts, not players in form. The old jolly boys trip to Russia will be over 2 weeks after the first ball is kicked, and we fail to get out of the group.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:28 pm

If Hart was on form and playing regularly I still wouldn't take him - his temperament just isn't right despite his experience. Remember his comic antics in the tunnel before the Iceland game - he's just an accident waiting to happen
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Shot shot well shot superb

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Claretitus wrote:when asked about leaving Cahill out of this current squad, Southgate said " a really difficult decision, he's a great guy". That just sums up England, and Southgate, it's the popularity that counts, not players in form. The old jolly boys trip to Russia will be over 2 weeks after the first ball is kicked, and we fail to get out of the group.

He left Cahill out and called up two uncapped centrebacks. Give him some credit.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:43 pm

The only way I’ll have any interest in the England team this summer is if one or more Burnley players are involved.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I was concerned when Pope went in goal for us earlier this season but he slotted right in. That was a massive step for him and he did not flinch. I honestly think he will get his chance with England and take it. For me the best english keeper and prospect by a street.

BroadIslandClaret

Post by BroadIslandClaret » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 am

Mark `PNE` Lawrenson on 606 has just said (well, I`ve just heard him say) "out of the 4 contenders for the England No.1 jersey, Pickford would be the best at the moment." WHAT????? I must have no understanding of football whatsoever.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 am

One step at a time. Tarkowski and Pope may get the chance to impress in a couple of friendly games, their minutes will probably be very limited.

They will both have to do very well both on their limited time with England and for the rest of the season at club level to be in contention.

The last thing we want to happen is them to be subject to the criticism of the awful press in this country who do their utmost to harm England's chances in a tournament.

Worst case scenario it upsets their confidence and form or they get injured.

As they both said on their interview they aren't taking anything for granted and rightly so. The way people talk on here makes it seem like it would be a uproar if neither were in the World cup squad.

Take those claret tinted specs off and don't set yourself up for disappointment! It's not a bad thing at all for us if they don't get selected.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6903 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 am

Why all the criticism of Southgate? He’s picked Pope and Tarkowski, what more do you want? He’s also given a first cap to Cork.

Southgate has done exactly what most people on here are criticising him for not doing, and that’s picking players on form regardless of their reputation. There’s even a criticism of his comments after dropping Cahill, bizarre.
This user liked this post: superdimitri