Shares

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Shares

Post by MRG » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:06 pm

I am considering investing some saving into stocks and shares. I have very limited experience in this and was wondering if any posters currently invest. I intend to get some professional advise but I am keen to hear people’s experiences

I’d be interested in views on shares that could have some potential and ones to avoid

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 471 times

Re: Shares

Post by COBBLE » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:26 pm

I would never invest in one company share unless you have a seriously reliable assessment of that company's prospects.
I would stick with the experts, the funds which track a broader range of investments. Even that allows you
some choice for example invest in a UK shares tracker or an Asian tracker.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 pm

This was an interesting article I read recently and piqued my own interest.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/coffee-fix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never had the money to play but when I do I'll have a mixed portfolio with a range of risks entailed.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:47 am

There was a similar thread on here a while back relating to Woodford Funds.

I strongly agree with post #2 though. Stick to funds rather than individual stocks unless you feel you have enough insight to confidently value the latter.

MRG

Post by MRG » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:32 pm

I’m not looking for a long term pension scheme, more a bit of interest/fun. Any money I put in will be with the understanding that it could be lost

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 pm

There are some outstanding fund managers out there if you do a bit of research. I would always recommend investing in a fund or preferably a few funds to diversify your portfolio and this is coming from a guy who made a lot of money trading the internet bubble on the way up and shorting the bubble when it burst! There are funds now that invest in all types of industry and country. You could always also keep a little amount a side for 'fun money' which you could trade stocks or even bitcoins yourself!

*edit .... I didn't read your last post lol before typing :)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm

If you've got a few quid knocking around what what about the futures market?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 pm

MRG wrote:I’m not looking for a long term pension scheme, more a bit of interest/fun. Any money I put in will be with the understanding that it could be lost
Hi MRG, if you want to invest in stock and shares as others above have said, spread the risk and choose a fund which covers a portfolio of shares. These, of course, can be medium risk or high risk (I don't think you can think of any shares as low risk, that territory belongs to savings accounts and government gilts).

If you want to try you hand at "stock picking" i.e "more a bit of interest/fun" as you say, then the way to start is getting to know one of two industry sectors, for example, oil and gas or metals and mining, utilities, retail, hotels and leisure, manufacturing. Smaller oil and gas or metals and mining companies are, amongst others, in the "exciting" part of the stock market (the big companies in these sectors are less exciting and share prices move much more on commodity prices and specific events).

Then, having picked your sector, pick out some companies and follow them. Don't put your money in immediately. Get to know the companies, follow the share price movements, get to know what makes the share price move (or what people say made the share price move). Create a hypothetical portfolio, pretend you have invested, and see how that goes. Then seperate out the "luck" than gives you a gain and think about whether you can repeat it again.

Meanwhile, put the funds you are waiting to play with in an ISA equity fund, maybe a straightforward FTSE 100 tracker - then see how much you've got left to start playing with when you are ready.

Oh, and get to understand the costs of buying, holding and selling shares.

Good luck

MRG

Post by MRG » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm

BigChaCha wrote:There are some outstanding fund managers out there if you do a bit of research. I would always recommend investing in a fund or preferably a few funds to diversify your portfolio and this is coming from a guy who made a lot of money trading the internet bubble on the way up and shorting the bubble when it burst! There are funds now that invest in all types of industry and country. You could always also keep a little amount a side for 'fun money' which you could trade stocks or even bitcoins yourself!

*edit .... I didn't read your last post lol before typing :)
I’d be interested on your views of who the outstanding fund managers are should I decide to go that way

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Personally I agree that a football message board is absolutely the best place to seek detailed financial advice. The Beehole End...regulated by the FCA.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 pm

There are a host of betting folk on here, to help with form.

Otherwise, best seek a financial broker for an investment policy with a fixed return and sleep well.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 am

Personally I'd go for Facebook shares mate

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 am

The previous thread mentioned above is here

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... us#p413257

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 am

I've invested for many - 25- years and made a lot and lost a lot - made a small return on balance. Doubled my money between 2003 and 2005 ( was lucky as I sold my house in 2003 and rented for 2 years and stuck 100k on shares) but since then have lost a lot of the gain I made due to speculative/ knee jerk/ unresearched investments e.g. I piled into BP after Gulf disaster well before it hit the bottom.

Invest for the long term. Spread your risk. I happen to think household names like BT, Tesco, Barclays, BP, M&S are good solid long term buys at the moment - but we could be in for a further correction - 10 - 15% - with appreciation of sterling, move out of shallow growth into possible recession in next couple of years ( yes we are due for one statistically) and political risk, so best to drip in slowly and be prepared to wait. Share Funds (e.g. sector focussed/emerging markets/technology/small caps/European/large caps) possibly with exposure to Europe are probably the best bet but not as much fun. I think US market is well over valued ( DOW has gone from 6500 to nearly 27000 since bottom of crash). If I had invested in funds ( and not individual shares) in 2005 i would be pretty well off now! I think the banks are pretty good value at mo given what has gone on since the crash and de-risking of balance sheets and operations - I hold Deutche Bank and Barclays. Stay well clear of derivatives and futures.

This is not a share tip and not to be relied on.

upanatem
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by upanatem » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 am

Warren Buffet's recommendation is, unless you are schooled in the art of investing, to invest in a tracker fund which will track, for example, the FTSE 100 index or All-share index. Costs tend to be less with such a fund than a 'managed' fund. Checking costs should be an essential element of your research. Tracker funds often outperform 'managed' funds. Wait until there is a dip in the index before investing – e.g. with the Russian uncertainty this may initiate one. I am waiting for a dip and I will invest more in my tracker.

In terms of share dealing, keep your eyes and ears open. Often opportunities are staring you in the face. A couple of years ago I did some work in a small company listed on the AIM market – they had just started exporting to the USA. I asked how this initiative was going (as you do) and they said initial results were excellent and that the potential was enormous. I bought a few shares which promptly fell by 10% (ouch!), but then they began rising and my initial investment is now +147%. I subsequently did further work at the company and asked about further prospects, received positive responses, and bought more shares. This second batch is +110%. So it's about spotting the opportunities.

I have also got it wrong. I had been following Tesco shares and was tempted to buy them. Then Warren Buffett bought them; so that convinced me I was right; so I bought some. No, wrong! Along came the Directors' shenanigans re overstating profits, which produced a major share price fall. WB sold his shares stating it was his worst investment ever. Thanks, Warren. I managed to mitigate the loss because I felt the share price had fallen too low. (There is considerable emotion in share price movements.) So I gulped and bought more, fortunately at the bottom. The subsequent uplift recouped nearly all my loss.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 pm

BillyIngham'sShorts wrote: Invest for the long term. Spread your risk. I happen to think household names like BT, Tesco, Barclays, BP, M&S are good solid long term buys at the moment
I've just been on a webinar with Invesco's UK Equities team and M&S was highlighted as being particularly good value. 'Narrative awful, numbers awesome' was the slide heading.

They're also big on pharma, which is very underweight, and they can see oil dividends rising after the industry significantly reduced cashflow breakevens.

Fagwise, BAT and Imperial are at significant discounts to Philip Morris, and they feel there's value there.

They also see value in Derwent and British Land, which are at big discounts to nav and sector.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:40 pm

So my advise is buy a book called the naked trader and read that first.
It will give you some on-site into the workings of the stoke exchange.
Always always do your own research.
Never follow forums, there are lots of people on there paid to talk up shares so you buy them. They then sell high and you normally end up with a big loss.
As above I had £50,000 in shares, funds etc.
The book I mentioned with help you decide on your strategy.
You need to decide is it a few grand you are happy to lose. High risk options can have big gains and big loses.
I had a grants worth of northern rock bank shares, gone in a blink of an eye.
Gulf keystone bought at 6p sold at 40p.
Funds can be good as people have said but charges can be high.
There are search engines which will give you the top ten managers over 5 and 10 years.
Do your research, but remember it’s no different than backing Burnley to win on Sat, just the amounts you bet are greater.