ARTICLE: Money for Mee

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6459 times

Re: ARTICLE: Money for Mee

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 pm

bfcjg wrote:Stranger things have happened.
I know... apparently Burnley (yes BURNLEY) are playing in the Europa League next season....!

;)
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 pm

If you look at the career progressions of Ben Mee, Michael Keane and Tarks since their arrival at Burnley, that, together with Premier League & possible Europa League football must make us an very attractive proposition for an promising Central Defender from the Championship or abroad !

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6755 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Can't blame a player for trying to better himself. Mee has done us proud and has been excellent value for money. This is most likely his last real chance of a big wage increase, best of luck to him.
However, if no deals appeal to him and he stays I would be delighted.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:20 pm

I think City get 20% of any profit

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 pm

Would love him to stay and he should be one of if not the highest paid player. He fits Burnley like a glove. There is only so far the club can go though and the club is always bigger than any player. If a player's ultimate motivation is money they won't stay at Burnley and I'm ok with that.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Brechin needs help.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 pm

I’d be devastated if Mee left in the summer. He epitomises everything that is great about the current team.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Not sure where Mee can move on to really. Don't think he's good enough for the top 5, unless he just wants to massively improve his wage he'd be better staying with us where he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:19 am

Depends on what his demands are. If it's in line with our top earners he'll get what he wants and stay.

If he wants substantially more then he'll go. I can't see Burnley changing their wage structure for him or any other player.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:59 am

Firthy wrote:Depends on what his demands are. If it's in line with our top earners he'll get what he wants and stay.

If he wants substantially more then he'll go. I can't see Burnley changing their wage structure for him or any other player.
And rightly so IMO, it's a trusted and proven method, which has worked well for us so far.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am

Maybe he wants to play left back, after all he now considers himself a left back, doesn't He?

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am

MACCA wrote:And rightly so IMO, it's a trusted and proven method, which has worked well for us so far.
Totally agree and I'm quite surprised by Mee's apparent reluctance. Mee is the one player I wouldn't have thought would put money first especially with us qualifying for Europe. I wonder how much his head has been turned by his agent. Let's face it, with the amount of money they are paid nowadays, he's financially set for life.
Last edited by Firthy on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 am

Mee, Marney and Arfield all leaving at the same time.

Ouch, that is the spine of the team.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:40 am

Nixon has either got the same source as me, and there's no better source, or he saw what I had been posting last week on Up The Clarets. The only detail he's missing is that Mee is prepared to stay at Burnley, but only for a wage which would be disproportionately high compared to the rest of the squad.

Even the £20m figure is the same as I'd been saying.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am

Mee Marney and Arfield havent been the spine of the team for a long time.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am

None of the top 6 will want him. Im he’s nowhere near good enough to earn loads more than anybody else. He’s been fantastic but if he goes, so what? We’ll still be here.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:46 am

the article is a month old.

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 am

Mee is a great player but I'm not worried if he leaves. Centre-backs get a lot of protection with the way we play and I'd trust Dyche to find a worthy replacement.
This user liked this post: lucs86

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 am

Mee Marney and Arfield havent been the spine of the team for a long time.
Sorry, meant team as in the context of squad. They are the spine of squad and the manager trusts them explicitly.

We can replace them, and we will, but its still a loss (especially Arf and Mee)

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 am

Id certainly agree with you there Lancaster
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 am

Hope beyond all hope he does not leave and this is just Nixon drivel but for argument`s sake...where could Mee conceivably go? Back to Man City not likely as La Porte (?) recently signed. People might laugh but Man Utd a possibility. Good for the British quota, is an excellent organiser and Mourinho likes an organiser. Left-sided it would have to be so no problem. Chelsea and Liverpool..can`t see it but he could have walked into that shambolic Liverpool defence 4 or 5 months ago. Chelsea though might be wanting to see the back of Cahill, so there again, Mee would with fit the bill as a British player. Arsenal...another possibility! If Holden can get a look-in Mee should be a shoe-in and don`t tell me he is not as good as the calamitous Mustafi and Koschielny (sp?) Everton...of course! He would improve their team no end and linking up with Keane again would be good for him AND Keane.

People can laugh and say he would never get a looksie at a Top 6 club but I honestly beg to differ.

I see someone like Newcastle though being a destination. Rafa loves defensive organisation
Last edited by HiroshimaClaret on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:19 am

Dyched wrote:None of the top 6 will want him. Im he’s nowhere near good enough to earn loads more than anybody else. He’s been fantastic but if he goes, so what? We’ll still be here.
Beg to differ, mate...all opinion though!

Hope beyond all hope he does not leave and this is just Nixon drivel but for argument`s sake...where could Mee conceivably go? Back to Man City not likely as La Porte (?) recently signed. People might laugh but Man Utd a possibility. Good for the British quota, is an excellent organiser and Mourinho likes an organiser. Left-sided it would have to be so no problem. Chelsea and Liverpool..can`t see it but he could have walked into that shambolic Liverpool defence 4 or 5 months ago. Chelsea though might be wanting to see the back of Cahill, so there again, Mee would with the bill as a British player. Arsenal...another possibility! If Holden can get a look-in Mee should be a shoe-in and don`t tell me he is not as good as the calamitous Mustafi and Koschielny (sp?) Everton...of course! He would improve their team no end and linking up with Keane again would be good for him AND Keane.

People can laugh and say he would never get a looksie at a Top 6 club but I honestly beg to differ.

I see someone like Newcastle though being a destination. Rafa loves defensive organisation and Mee would certainly add that. I could see Lascelle on the move too so would open up a left-sided space too!

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:38 am

Is Van Dyke left sided? If not, Mee would improve Liverpool. He'd also improve Arsenal. In purely defensive terms he's easily the best defender outside the top 6 and I'd sooner have him in my squad than I would Mustafi, Lovren, Smalling, Stones, Jones, and Cahill.
This user liked this post: HiroshimaClaret

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm

You simply, on a club like us, can't have a player who puts himself above the rest of his teammates. Maybe Mee's been reading too many of his press clippings. He's been a very good player for us, but maybe he thinks too highly of himself.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:17 pm

W"onder if Wolves have been showing some interest. Personally I hope he stays. This could just be the usual posturing done by agents to mget their clients the best possible deal. However Burnley must stay within their limits. It has served us well and their might be a day where Ben Mee struggles to hold onto his first team place anyway. Natural progression.
This user liked this post: ontario claret

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 am

If Boro don't go up this season Ben Gibson will be allowed to leave

It's Mee's decision, but there are plenty more fish in the sea

NEILTHO61
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NEILTHO61 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 am

jojomk1 wrote:If Boro don't go up this season Ben Gibson will be allowed to leave

It's Mee's decision, but there are plenty more fish in the sea

We've got Jimmy Dunne Accringtons hero

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am

The general consensus seems to be that we all love him and that he epitomises our club but if he puts himself above his colleagues and the club financially then adieu Ben Mee. I think SD will see it that way as well.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am

Hopefully, all just negotiating tactics.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am

Chester Perry wrote:great effort - the "wherever he may be" suggests his positional play is awry

Mee Mee, his name's Ben Mee
He is the Lord of our Defence, Ben Mee
and he'll lead us all
who love Burnley
He is the Lord of our defence, Ben Mee
He might not be an English Lion, only a matter of time, but for me Ben has always been the lion at the heart of our defence. So maybe something with a more familiar tune.

In the Jungle the mighty jungle the lion eats tonight
In the Jungle the quiet jungle the lion eats tonight

Ben Meeeeeeeee, Oh Mee, Oh Mee will always block your play

Hes here to stay, hes in the way,
Hes here to stay, hes in the way

Ben Meeeeeeeee, Oh Mee, Oh Mee will always block your play

Could we pull it off ? (imagines the vocal carnage it would cause in the CFS) probably not.

In the last game Tarks played on the left and I suspect the gaffer might have done this to get a competitive picture of how he might fair in that role over the longer term. Tarks did okay, but he looks a lot better on the right; although none of the players excelled during that game. However, it does highlight the importance of Mee to the squad from a playing perspective.

I wasn't too unhappy when we didn't manage to extend Grays contract last season (and that worked out very well), but I would be furious if we failed to keep hold of Mee. Our defensive solidity is one of the keys to our success this season and Ben plays an important role in that.

I think Mee has been unfortunate not to receive an England call up. Southgate seems to be favouring the ball playing defenders and Mee has shown some improvement in his distribution this season. He still has a way to go, but it isn't the strongest part of his game. For me the England defence, and the team in general, have been sorely lacking commitment and bite. We need some players in the squad that can give us that and force the prima donnas to up their own games in that respect. It's a case of fewer ball players and more players with balls.

Choosing to overlook Mee is to the detriment of England and Southgate. It bears no reflection on his overall playing ability and value to our squad. I don't think his chance of breaking into the team will be improved by a move to a top six club (they would probably decrease) he should stick with us and keep doing what he is doing until Southgate wakes up to what he is missing.

No single player is more important than our team, but Ben is a very important part of our squad. We don't pay the highest wages in the league and I recall it being said that any new player would have to be very good to force us up to the next rung of the wage ladder. Gray was never going to be that player, but I would prefer to see Ben be that player instead of a new entrant, if that is what it will take to keep him. In terms of how difficult it would be to replace him (referencing playing ability and established partnerships), along with what he has already done for us and his time at the club, I think he would be deserving of the honour. Then again, if he does ask for far too much, I would regrettably bid him a fond farewell.

I'm secretly hoping his contract extension has already been tied up, or we are down to the small detail negotiations, and the welcome news has been delayed. It wouldnt hurt us to have a "spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down" press release in the locker, which could be used to quieten down the minority whiners if the transfer window proves to be difficult.

Queue - its as good as a new signing posts.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am

No one man is bigger than this club, the grass is almost never greener and he'll learn the hard way if he thinks he can hold the club to ransom because we simply wont play games and he'll be gone. It will be quite sad if he leaves because he's been fantastic but i'd rather have players who are 100% committed to this club.
This user liked this post: bfcmik

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Not read all of the thread, but could Bournemouth be a potential destination? Willing to pay bigger wages. Link with Eddie Howe. And an ideal place for when he retires....

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm

"an ideal place for when he retires"

he's twenty-fookin-nine. He's not sitting there with his missus saying "hmm, Bournemouth might be the club to sign for. After all it's a good place to retire to."

I'm 59 and occasionally say to the Missus "how about Puerto Rico? Frikkin Bournemouth..... give me a break!

lucs86
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Post by lucs86 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:52 pm

I'd rather he stayed because I like his passion and we should be trying to keep hold of the lads who've been on the journey with us, especially with Arfield and Marney off. I'd be disappointed if he wants to leave as I reckon Europa League is the highest his ability can take him.

He won't be that hard to replace so I don't think it's worth paying him a massive amount in a new contract or more than Tarkowski who I think is a more valuable asset. If Boro don't go up Gibson would be perfect, left sided, captain material, bit taller.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 01, 2018 12:54 pm

NRC wrote:"an ideal place for when he retires"

he's twenty-fookin-nine. He's not sitting there with his missus saying "hmm, Bournemouth might be the club to sign for. After all it's a good place to retire to."

I'm 59 and occasionally say to the Missus "how about Puerto Rico? Frikkin Bournemouth..... give me a break!
The retirement bit was purely tongue in cheek. Maybe I missed a :D off.....

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm

in that case I guess I'm a bit of a trout this morning

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue May 01, 2018 1:16 pm

said for a long time he makes those around him good, think he is better than Keane & Tark's plus Long. With us playing in Europe next season I just can not see us letting him go until maybe the New Year time, even then to where, not to a competitor for our position surely. He will be difficult to replace when he does go but not impossible, but what is in it for him, money the obvious motivator and he will want to be seen as one of the top earners at our club. But putting European football on your list of accomplishments for later in life must be a big draw, most of the clubs that would be interested and can afford are very unlikely to get in to Europe. I do not see him being attractive to Arsenal but you never know with a new manager. Those above Arsenal I just can not see being interested, overseas maybe but to whom, am sure his agent would like a nice payday and feels now would be a good time, so let's start the work, what's the worst, BFC can up the salary bonuses.

My tiny logic says in the end both club and player made for each other and that a deal will be done, going to stick wit that thought for now

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Tue May 01, 2018 2:23 pm

NRC wrote:in that case I guess I'm a bit of a trout this morning
You will be more than a trout if you retire to Puerto Rico. You will be sleeping with the fishes. Or maybe you could try Acapulco. I hear that it's even safer there. :roll:

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Tue May 01, 2018 2:48 pm

With Dyche on a reputably 3.5m a year (about 70k a week) then it's no surprise some of
best players want more than whatever they are on.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Willy wrote:Laughable? I have to disagree.

Lack of genuine pace? Maybe.
I’ve never seen a professional footballer routinely miss his team mates with what appear to be simple 10 yard balls. He’s a beast in other areas but his passing is laughable at times (like whenever the above happens). That he doesn’t have genuine pace (there’s no maybe about it) is an entirely separate point but kinda fleshes out the argument for him being easy enough to replace. If he’s stalling on a deal and we can get good money for him then I look forward to welcoming the next Tarkowski, Keane, Mee etc. whilst no doubt profiting handsomely for the £25m in and £5/10m spend.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Mee to Tottenham
Alfie Mawson to Burnley

HiroshimaClaret

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 am

boatshed bill wrote:Can't blame a player for trying to better himself. Mee has done us proud and has been excellent value for money. This is most likely his last real chance of a big wage increase, best of luck to him.
However, if no deals appeal to him and he stays I would be delighted.

The nail has been hit on the head. Any right-minded person would agree with your statement.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am

Mawson must surely go for mega money

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:14 am

CFS wrote:Mee to Tottenham
Alfie Mawson to Burnley
I hope not. I really don't get the Mawson thing. He's well over rated. We'd be better served paying Ben what he wants!

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:25 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Mawson must surely go for mega money
Not if the player has a relegation release clause

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed May 09, 2018 9:04 am

jlup1980 wrote:I hope not. I really don't get the Mawson thing. He's well over rated. We'd be better served paying Ben what he wants!
I thought he was impressive last night. Good control, good passing, seemed solid and reliable, plays well on the left. Would suit us I think.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 am

Mawson is a top player

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6755 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

joey13 wrote:Mawson is a top player
I don't know much about him, is he left-footed?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 am

Mee is a long way short of playing for a top club. Cahill was head and shoulders better than any defender we have when we played Chelsea recently.

Nee simply isn't good enough for any of the top six, only as backup.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 09, 2018 9:38 am

Wasn't Mawson heavily linked with Spurs last summer?

I'm struggling to see Ben Mee at a Top Six side, but he's a huge asset for whereever he ends up.

Just hope we can keep him, but not at £80,000 a week.