Gareth Southgate

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Gareth Southgate

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Get rid of him. Its only the 4th Burnley player to play under him. He is completely biased, doesn't spend any time watching little clubs and definitely won't start any of them! :roll:

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Gareth Southgate

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 pm

He attends more Burnley games than the majority on here...... :lol: Unfortunately people want him to fail before he's even started because he hasn't picked the entire Burnley squad.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Liking him

Playing good stuff and binning off the players who have failed in the past.

We won't win owt, but we at least look like we should be there.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 pm

For once KRBFC I have to agree with you.
Whats the World coming to.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I think on paper it's the weakest squad we've had in a long time but i've got more confidence in this manager/group of players than any of the others. I like how Southgate has binned off the has-been failures and brought a fresh youthful approach. He's put a system together and a way of playing which I think will set us up well against some of the better teams, we can sit in and have pace everywhere to counter.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Right. Claret tinted specs off.

He’s doing OK. It would have been nice to see Pope in the nets, but after seeing how he wants England to play, I can understand that being comfortable with passing and distribution is key for the keeper and Pope isn’t there yet. If Tom gets back in, I can see Tom on the plane.

Again, Tarks was a backup option, but I am hoping that he can see beyond the penalty tonight and absolve him of any blame - Tarks played well IMO, and deserves a chance. That said, he still needs to play well for the rest of the season for us and not do anything daft - he may make the plane to Russia.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1301 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:35 pm

He is using his head and trying to put together a team that play on the break, probably out best chance. Whichever manager we chose we don’t have the quality to take on the likes of France, Germany, Brazil and Spain.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Ive been impressed. He’s a very likeable chap imo too. They more I look the more quality this team has.

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Southgate simply hasn't the nous to be the England manager.

He has never won a thing in his career either as a player or a manager.

He might be a very nice man, but he aint got the bite to be a winner.

England can do much better than him.

So long as the twerps that do the selection of the national manager don't come a calling at our door...!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 pm

[quote="Lancasterclaret"]Liking him

Playing good stuff

Have to admit I don't follow international football but made an exception tonight. Won't be watching again in a hurry. Just don't get it,I suppose.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Liking him

Playing good stuff and binning off the players who have failed in the past.

We won't win owt, but we at least look like we should be there.
This. I actually agree with a Lancasterclaret post.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:23 pm

charlyt wrote: He has never won a thing in his career either as a player or a manager.
Won the League Cup, as captain, at both Villa and Boro. Captained CP to Championship title and has 50+ caps.
He's been a breath of fresh air so far. Might not win owt but a definite improvement on what went before.
These 2 users liked this post: UpTheBeehole KateR

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Gareth has not got a lot to work with, especially in midfield which is probably why England are playing five defenders.

However we have a world class striker in the shape of Kante and if Southgate can structure the team to set him up., we could be like Portugal with Ronaldo and actually progress beyond the group stage.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:47 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:Gareth has not got a lot to work with, especially in midfield which is probably why England are playing five defenders.

However we have a world class striker in the shape of Kante and if Southgate can structure the team to set him up., we could be like Portugal with Ronaldo and actually progress beyond the group stage.
Kante at striker for England, who'd have thought it? ;)
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone nil_desperandum mkmel

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 pm

"I thought the rule was clear and obvious" though it wasn't clear and obvious...did I hear him say that as regards var?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:Gareth has not got a lot to work with, especially in midfield which is probably why England are playing five defenders.

:lol: you mean Kane surely?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 pm

:evil: :roll: Aye that's him Kane.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 am

KRBFC wrote:Kante at striker for England, who'd have thought it? ;)
Just put the West Ham sub keeper in and we have Buffoon as well!
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret IanMcL

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Just put the West Ham sub keeper in and we have Buffoon as well!
Speaking of a Buffoon, on the official team sheet Buffon was named as a sub but I thought he'd retired?

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:20 am

KRBFC wrote:Speaking of a Buffoon, on the official team sheet Buffon was named as a sub but I thought he'd retired?
He had but the new manager asked him to reconsider to help the young lads along and he agreed. Played in their Friday night match.

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:24 am

tim_noone wrote:"I thought the rule was clear and obvious" though it wasn't clear and obvious...did I hear him say that as regards var?
They all agreed on itv it was a pen because Tarks had stood on his foot. Tarks never changed his running stride at all but when Walker? clattered Chiesa it was Chiesas foot that went out to the side under Tarks. No pen for me, incidental contact.
This user liked this post: gtclaret

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 am

piston broke wrote:He had but the new manager asked him to reconsider to help the young lads along and he agreed. Played in their Friday night match.
What a hero, possibly the same thing with Southgate calling up Hart but Southgate will still be strung up for it.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 am

charlyt wrote:Southgate simply hasn't the nous to be the England manager.

He has never won a thing in his career either as a player or a manager.

He might be a very nice man, but he aint got the bite to be a winner.

England can do much better than him.

So long as the twerps that do the selection of the national manager don't come a calling at our door...!
He was Englands strongest player for me at Euro 96.

Let'sChaseTheDragon
Been Liked: 42 times

Post by Let'sChaseTheDragon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Get rid of him. Its only the 4th Burnley player to play under him. He is completely biased, doesn't spend any time watching little clubs and definitely won't start any of them! :roll:
Know the point you're making, and totally agree. No complaints from me- seems open minded, no evidence of big club bias. Neither GS or Hodgson would have been close to my first choice, but both imo have sent out a message that playing regularly for a less fancied club is valued over sitting on the bench of one of the top 6.

His system looks fine. We have some talent and a bit of pace- probably enough to be dangerous with some smart tactics, some solid defending, a bit of luck and some half decent penalty taking.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:15 am

KRBFC wrote:What a hero, possibly the same thing with Southgate calling up Hart but Southgate will still be strung up for it.
Hart is a bench warmer at West Ham and is a mistake waiting to happen.

Buffon is still first choice at club level and virtually no one would worry about him being in goal.

Yes, possibly the same thing... :roll:

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 am

what_no_pies wrote:He was Englands strongest player for me at Euro 96.
More than Golden Boot winner Alan Shearer?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am

Heaton for number 1 and he could be a good manager!

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 am

I wouldn't want him as a club manager but fine with him managing England. Partly because I don't care so much how they get on and also the bar that's been set by predecessors is pretty much on the floor.

Also, I'm not even sure it matters that much. If you accept England will always qualify now - especially with the new finals format - then you only play 3 or 4 games that count, every 2 years. With such a small sample of meaningful matches you're always a hostage to luck, form, fitness etc.

Did Greece or Portugal or Denmark have the world's greatest manager when they won the Euros? I bet they didn't even have one of the FA's grand 10 year plans - or a 'root and branch' review. They just had a squad of decent players - one or two outstanding ones, a bit of luck and played to their strengths. So if the players like Gareth and he picks a few Burnley lads then that'll do.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:56 pm

I like him. He's adaptable and thinks about the how to get the best out of the players at his disposal. How many other managers would have considered Walker as a central defender, for instance? He's settled on a style of play that suits the players and that supporters can get behind - we'd all rather watch a team that is brave enough to try to and pass the ball through opponents rather than the safety first guff that we've been treated to in recent years, right?

He's not (despite what some would have you believe) in favour of just picking the big name players regardless like some that have gone before him - see Rooney, Cahill, Smalling as examples. Dele Alli and Joe Hart might want to be considering that now, too. Last night he used players from Burnley, Bournemouth, Stoke & Leicester.

We might get knocked out in the second round in Russia. If so, that's a realistic sign of where we are in the world so I really hope there isn't a campaign from the usual suspects to get rid of him so that we can watch another high profile manager flounder in the job instead. If we make the quarters that would be a pretty big feather in Southgate's cap, for me.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Hart is a bench warmer at West Ham and is a mistake waiting to happen.

Buffon is still first choice at club level and virtually no one would worry about him being in goal.

Yes, possibly the same thing... :roll:
but neither will start for the national team, simply there to pass on experience and help the youngsters.

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:47 pm

As a season ticket holder in the bob lord when ive been awake hes there cant say when im a sleep lol

SlidingTackle
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by SlidingTackle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Until recently the jury was out as far as I was concerned regarding Gareth Southgate.

Very easy to form an opinion based on sketchy information, hasty assumptions.

Work-a-day (if atypical) English centre-half, penalty misser, etc..

However, two things have swayed me.

The FA certainly seem to have seen something not necessarily readily apparent to the rest of us (though that may not be the best of recommendations :o !). Hasn't he got a very long-term contract? Certainly, if he is making a reasonable go of things I am all for this. I think England should be a long term project rather than the boom or bust type short-termism that has persisted over decades. Sean Dyche being a long-term appointment is certainly doing us no harm is it?

Having been involved with some of the younger age group England teams and having bought in to the whole St. Georges complex thing can only be good.

He seems to be something more than the 'typical' English football manager (whatever that is) too.

I recently watched some of the BBC coverage of the Superbowl, and he was there as part of his ongoing learning curve. He was interviewed by Mark Chapman and came across as being very intelligent, asking some searching questions about American Football, and generally changing my impression of him altogether.

Here's hoping he does well and is in post long enough to undertake some positive change from the top down. Evolution rather than revolution, but much needed after some of the previous incumbents....... I give you Sven-Göran Eriksson, Fabio Capello and Steve McLaren amongst others.... . Surely he has to be better than them?
Last edited by SlidingTackle on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

italianclaret88
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by italianclaret88 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Southgate is going home...oh no he miss the bus!!! ahahahahhahaha....it's not a proper manager for the 3 lions team....

Walt
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Walt » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I wasnt at all impressed when he was appointed and i'm sure the majority felt the same.

However, he's trying new systems and players. The style of play has improved too so I've warmed to him.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 pm

SlidingTackle wrote:Until recently the jury was out as far as I was concerned regarding Gareth Southgate.

Very easy to form an opinion based on sketchy information, hasty assumptions.

Work-a-day (if atypical) English centre-half, penalty misser, etc..

However, two things have swayed me.

The FA certainly seem to have seen something not necessarily readily apparent to the rest of us (though that may not be the best of recommendations :o !). Hasn't he got a very long-term contract? Certainly, if he is making a reasonable go of things I am all for this. I think England should be a long term project rather than the boom or bust type short-termism that has persisted over decades. Sean Dyche being a long-term appointment is certainly doing us no harm is it?

Having been involved with some of the younger age group England teams and having bought in to the whole St. Georges complex thing can only be good.

He seems to be something more than the 'typical' English football manager (whatever that is) too.

I recently watched some of the BBC coverage of the Superbowl, and he was there as part of his ongoing learning curve. He was interviewed by Mark Chapman and came across as being very intelligent, asking some searching questions about American Football, and generally changing my impression of him altogether.

Here's hoping he does well and is in post long enough to undertake some positive change from the top down. Evolution rather than revolution, but much needed after so of the previous incumbents....... I give you Sven-Göran Eriksson, Fabio Capello and Steve McLaren amongst others.... . Surely he has to be better than them?
Agree in the main. Although sven was a very good manager for england and we played some of our best football under him. The last manager i enjoyed watching us play for

Southgates a good choice for england though.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 pm

I have liked the style of play in last couple of games and genuinely think he isn't as biased as some people make him out to be.

My biggest criticism of him at the moment is his failure to realise that no matter how much talent a fit Jack Wilshere has, he is never fit and a slight breeze in the wrong direction puts him out of action.

I think his choice to play with some pace will add an extra dimension we have not had for a long time.

Caballo
Been Liked: 421 times
Has Liked: 433 times

Post by Caballo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 pm

For the first time in ages we look greater than the sum of our parts, on that basis he's already achieving more than a couple of his recent predecessors.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller