L.C.C. Pothole plan...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

L.C.C. Pothole plan...

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:56 am

I saw this article on the BBC Regional News website this morning and meant to post it, but a combination of our win at WBA and some old friends popping round unexpectedly led me to forget....

" County Council's Innovative Pot-Hole Roads solution "

Government Departments are not usually noted for their rapid action, but when quick witted Officials at Lancashire County Council's Highways Department heard of a surplus of Tarmac at crisis ridden Northamptonshire C.C. , they were immediately on the case.

L.C.C. leader Geoff Driver, takes up the tale... " About ten days ago, we were made aware of an unforeseen budget surplus in our Highways Budget, due to a cancelled contract. Earlier this week, we heard that Northamptonshire C.C. had a huge amount of Tarmac they were unable to use, because the Local Government Commissioners had prioritised other " Statutory Services " instead. By moving quickly, we arranged for most of their Tarmac to be transported to 7 different Depots in Lancashire ! We were still left with the problem of using that Tarmac before the 5th April, the Financial year end, otherwise our surplus would, by law, be returned to the Treasury. The other obstacle we needed to overcome was that we need the Borough Council's approval to close roads even for a short period, which normally would take weeks to co-ordinate. Luckily, one of our legal Team found a loophole in the Local Govt. Act of 1895 ( Article.26 ( Sub-Section 7 - Amended 1951 ). I understand this was originally intended to allow road closures for Easter Church Parades but we've been able to use it to close roads to allow the pot-holes to be filled "

BBC Radio Lancashire understands that Lancashire County Council, in conjunction with the Unions, have arranged to have their full complement of Highway repair teams available on both Sunday and Monday, together with 11 other teams, drafted in from neighbouring County Councils.
It's understood that Lancashire County Council are planning to release details of this tomorrow morning on various Social Media sites, inviting the public to turn up at their local Depot ( Burnley's is the old Lancashire Waterways Wharf, off Rosegrove Lane ) and provide details of unreported potholes for the teams to tackle.

Department of Transport Minister, John McAdam, praised the quick action of the County Council staff, " Lancashire are a shining light of how to solve a practical problem with quick thinking and teamwork....other Councils would do well to follow their example "

Labour's Shadow Transport spokes-person, has been participating in a five day LBGT Cycling Charity fundraiser between Hebden Bridge and Brighton, and was unavailable for comment.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1113 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Re: L.C.C. Pothole plan...

Post by karatekid » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:33 am

Wow, give that man a payrise. In fact he has probably voted for it already. :idea:

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am

Bloody Tory run county council, getting something right again......

We demand a winter of discontent

Ok, a Spring of discontent....
This user liked this post: bobinho

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:58 am

Potholes? Not a problem near me mind there are a lot of small independent collieries opened recently.

Chesterthedog
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Chesterthedog » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:11 am

April Fool? John McAdam?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:54 am

Will probably rush the job as per so it resurfaces anyway. No pun intended.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 am

Chesterthedog wrote:April Fool? John McAdam?
A good one though. Pity he used McAdam as a name otherwise I suspect the OP would have snared more posters

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:48 am

mdd2 wrote:A good one though. Pity he used McAdam as a name otherwise I suspect the OP would have snared more posters
Spotted straight away.... For some reason I'm always alert on the first of April early mornings.

TractorFace
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 71 times

Post by TractorFace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:20 am

I'm surprised it snared anyone, but it did. Haha.

HatfieldClaret
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by HatfieldClaret » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:37 am

Yeah, bloody idiots forgetting it was 1st April. :oops:

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:49 am

The "... Labour's Shadow Transport spokes-person, has been participating in a five day LBGT Cycling Charity fundraiser between Hebden Bridge and Brighton, and was unavailable for comment....."
At first seems a giveaway but, on 2nd thoughts, is highly plausible nowadays.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:27 pm

tim_noone wrote:Spotted straight away.... For some reason I'm always alert on the first of April early mornings.
That's funny, I could have sworn I saw your car parked up on Rosegrove Lane this morning !!! :D :D