BURNLEY, just a time to breathe it all in .

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

BURNLEY, just a time to breathe it all in .

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 am

its easy to take things for granted in life, time passes so quickly. Not in an Einstein sense, just that it seems one minute we're in the midst of something, next it feels like an age ago.
These recent seasons have been so remarkable in many ways, difficult to take it all in at times .
Sometimes I have to really focus on just how far we have come as a club, doesnt seem that long ago we were skint and woeful.
It was a lot about greatness in bygone times from previous generations of supporters.
Every now and again, I have to pinch myself to realise just where we are currently.
I turn on a radio, watch televised football programmes and we are featured , Internationals, much talked about manager, media highlighting how well the club is run financially.
Matchdays have allowed us to see genuine improvements in the squad, some truly incredible individual and team displays.
We are almost at the end of the season and are 7th in the most prestigious league in world football.
We have beaten home and away some of the most talked about, and richest clubs anywhere.
Anyone's guess when this bubble might burst, but after years of involvement as a fan with Burnley, I am beginning to grasp what a magical period this is.
Up the clarets.
These 32 users liked this post: Sidney1st Clarets4me Conroy92 Bullabill Dressinggown Wo Didi cricketfieldclarets MT03ALG Acting Claret BFCmaj turfytopper IndigoLake Stalbansclaret Siddo mdd2 randomclaret2 Colburn_Claret Hroogar Carnsmerry12 Andingle Dark Cloud PaintYorkClaretnBlue Claretsparky RalphCoatesComb tim_noone vinrogue piston broke rincon CanuckClaret Stayingup k90bfc KateR

Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Re: BURNLEY, just a time to breathe it all in .

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:24 am

Im 25 and I can honestly say I never thought I would ever see us where we are. When we first got to the premier league I thought that was as good as it could get, In the modern game I questioned a club of our size could ever truly survive the premier league, all we could hope for was to become a yo-yo club setting us up for the future, we have done this and then gone on to the next level. The rise of our club has been so quick it dosnt seem too long ago that any of cotterill, ternant or coyle was in charge.
Are there any clubs outside the top 4 who have had as successfull past decade as us? Leicester, Bournemouth maybe?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:00 am

Its fantastic. And a great post. 'Times like these' is a very apt club song. Should embrace it, as like with everything in life you never know.

Look at how some of the mighty clubs have fallen. Look at how we fell!

We used to talk of 'the good times' and for some of us we never actually saw them. But this is a great time. And if it lasts just this season it was great while its lasted.

Thats why we should embrace the opportunity of Europe if it comes. Both the club and fans. It literally is a once in a lifetime scenario for a club like ours.

Hopefully we have learnt from the past, have a great manager and the financial stability to make this just the beginning.
These 3 users liked this post: turfytopper Siddo randomclaret2

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 am

Burnley are back!

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 am

The progress of the Club over recent years has been remarkable and it is difficult to point to a main single factor that has brought this transformation about, so there are many to thank for their efforts in this regard. I live 100 miles from the turf and amongst my peers Burnley FC is a constant source of conversation in footballing terms. This would never have happened were it not for the general opinion of Burnley Fc being a well run club playing some very competitive football and signing /developing some really good staff.
Just a further point that this does not have to be a ' bubble waiting to burst.' When Burnley were relegated after one season in the Premier League under SD the club did not panic, it re-grouped and carried on as before and went on to win the Championship and all that has followed.
One last plea (apart from banning blasphemy!) is for some recognition that there are many claret fans like me from all over the country that do their best to support the Club, I get a bit fed up with the constant comparing of the size of the town with the size of its support as though everyone who clicks the turnstiles lives in the immediate surroundings of the club.
This user liked this post: claretjohn33505

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:37 am

The main single factor was the appointment of Sean Dyche. The best thing to happen to our club, ever.
These 2 users liked this post: RalphCoatesComb KateR

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:its easy to take things for granted in life, time passes so quickly. Not in an Einstein sense, just that it seems one minute we're in the midst of something, next it feels like an age ago.
These recent seasons have been so remarkable in many ways, difficult to take it all in at times .
Sometimes I have to really focus on just how far we have come as a club, doesnt seem that long ago we were skint and woeful.
It was a lot about greatness in bygone times from previous generations of supporters.
Every now and again, I have to pinch myself to realise just where we are currently.
I turn on a radio, watch televised football programmes and we are featured , Internationals, much talked about manager, media highlighting how well the club is run financially.
Matchdays have allowed us to see genuine improvements in the squad, some truly incredible individual and team displays.
We are almost at the end of the season and are 7th in the most prestigious league in world football.
We have beaten home and away some of the most talked about, and richest clubs anywhere.
Anyone's guess when this bubble might burst, but after years of involvement as a fan with Burnley, I am beginning to grasp what a magical period this is.
Up the clarets.
Great post WEC..........Going back to the Orient game I thought the Clarets were possibly coming to an end. I had been supporting them for just under 40 years by then.....so I had been at Man City when we became Champions of England, the FA Cup Final, matches in Europe,and we were living then in a dream world. A few years ago any thoughts of us being in the Premier League were probably laughable. Now - a dream world again! Loving every match, seeing a team worthy of being called THE CLARETS once more. Totally agree with all your comments WEC - it's a magical time once more.
These 4 users liked this post: randomclaret2 cricketfieldclarets Stalbansclaret tim_noone

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 am

[quote="claret59One last plea (apart from banning blasphemy!) is for some recognition that there are many claret fans like me from all over the country that do their best to support the Club, I get a bit fed up with the constant comparing of the size of the town with the size of its support as though everyone who clicks the turnstiles lives in the immediate surroundings of the club.[/quote]

I commend any fan from any club who travels to see their club. When it’s 100 Miles very home game even more so. Well done as I dong think I’d be as keen.

The trouble with comparing anything more than town size is the difficulty of where you stop? Every club has fans all over the world, but the majority of fans will come from the more immediate vicinity. That’s why an Aston Villa in a 1m population (which is much bigger in reality which no real end of the population for miles around) will attract bigger crowds than Burnley. Same with Leeds etc.

To get to Bacup or Todmorden, where we have lots of fans, you have to leave a populated area and drive over a hill or through hills to get there. Same whichever way you go but Nelson/Colne. That’s then the same over towards Keighley, which is then much closer to Bradford. And when times are tough you rely more and more on those who live close, as they are the main ones who attend on a cold Tuesday night against Hartlepool.

I agree with the OP in every way though. Enjoy the ride folks.
Last edited by Claretforever on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:23 am

..and we mustn't forget the importance of the fans in helping to propel us to the dizzy heights we now occupy. We are a critical and self critical lot, but there is no other club that means so much to its town and its diaspora; no other club which so completely defines its home. At times our passion and the weight of our history has been an incubus but with the right formula of board, management team and players the unconditional support we give has played a huge part in the success.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 am

This seems as good a thread as any to post this morning's Times report on Saturday's game. I've added the underlines.

James Tarkowski embraces his moment on centre stage

West Bromwich Albion 1 Burnley 2

Not so long ago The Hawthorns was a venue where dreams were routinely dreamed. On Saturday the only men aspiring to fairy tales were James Tarkowski and his Burnley team-mates, whose season might still have an extraordinary ending.

“Football can change very quickly, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse,” said Tarkowski, whose week brought an England debut followed by a third successive victory with his club. “You’ve only got to look at a club like West Brom, who have been up and around the top 10 for years and are struggling now. So you’ve got to enjoy it while you can but not take it for granted because it can easily turn around.”

Indeed, the contrast between the clubs’ recent fortunes could hardly have been more stark. A year and 13 days earlier, Albion had beaten Arsenal 3-1 to cement eighth place and keep alive their hopes of an unlikely European adventure.

Since then, 41 games, four wins and just 22 points have left them plummeting inexorably towards the Sky Bet Championship with disgruntled supporters throwing season tickets onto the pitch on Saturday as they slid meekly to an eighth successive league defeat.

Few of Burnley’s dozen victories this season can have been more comfortable. Ashley Barnes volleyed the visitors into the lead midway through the first half and Chris Wood doubled their advantage in the 74th minute, although Salomón Rondón gave Albion hope with a late goal.

Sean Dyche’s seventh-placed team have a realistic shot at qualification for the Europa League while Tarkowski, who a year ago was not even a regular starter, could combine club glory with a trip to the World Cup. “You’d have to ask the bookies but I think the odds of that would have been quite high,” he said. “It’s been a quick change of fortunes from being on the bench week in, week out, to playing and then getting called up for England. I’m enjoying it, embracing it, long may it continue.”
These 6 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret cricketfieldclarets RalphCoatesComb Juan Tanamera Lancasterclaret hampsteadclaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 am

And, another indicator of where we are this w/end.

MotD2 ended with Ashley Barnes' acrobatic goal as the first in a sequence of clips of acrobatic goals. How often do we see that of Burnley?

UTC

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3078 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:45 am

Paul Waine wrote:This seems as good a thread as any to post this morning's Times report on Saturday's game. I've added the underlines.

James Tarkowski embraces his moment on centre stage

West Bromwich Albion 1 Burnley 2

Not so long ago The Hawthorns was a venue where dreams were routinely dreamed. On Saturday the only men aspiring to fairy tales were James Tarkowski and his Burnley team-mates, whose season might still have an extraordinary ending.

“Football can change very quickly, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse,” said Tarkowski, whose week brought an England debut followed by a third successive victory with his club. “You’ve only got to look at a club like West Brom, who have been up and around the top 10 for years and are struggling now. So you’ve got to enjoy it while you can but not take it for granted because it can easily turn around.”

Indeed, the contrast between the clubs’ recent fortunes could hardly have been more stark. A year and 13 days earlier, Albion had beaten Arsenal 3-1 to cement eighth place and keep alive their hopes of an unlikely European adventure.

Since then, 41 games, four wins and just 22 points have left them plummeting inexorably towards the Sky Bet Championship with disgruntled supporters throwing season tickets onto the pitch on Saturday as they slid meekly to an eighth successive league defeat.

Few of Burnley’s dozen victories this season can have been more comfortable. Ashley Barnes volleyed the visitors into the lead midway through the first half and Chris Wood doubled their advantage in the 74th minute, although Salomón Rondón gave Albion hope with a late goal.

Sean Dyche’s seventh-placed team have a realistic shot at qualification for the Europa League while Tarkowski, who a year ago was not even a regular starter, could combine club glory with a trip to the World Cup. “You’d have to ask the bookies but I think the odds of that would have been quite high,” he said. “It’s been a quick change of fortunes from being on the bench week in, week out, to playing and then getting called up for England. I’m enjoying it, embracing it, long may it continue.”
Another reason for our success, to be laid at SD's door. The players all keep their feet on the ground. No carrying away with victory, or despair at defeat (unlike a lot of us posters). Wether this is down to Sean picking the right characters, or moulding the players into his character is debatable, but it gives is such an advantage on the pitch. It also gives the hope for the future that this could well be more than a successful short term blip.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:21 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:Another reason for our success, to be laid at SD's door. The players all keep their feet on the ground. No carrying away with victory, or despair at defeat (unlike a lot of us posters). Wether this is down to Sean picking the right characters, or moulding the players into his character is debatable, but it gives is such an advantage on the pitch. It also gives the hope for the future that this could well be more than a successful short term blip.
So true. Everything is just so professional under Dyche. Even when we arent doing well. We know things will stabelize. Under other managers it was an exciting ride. But under the likes of coyle and stan we were always waiting for something daft to happen. Throw one in etc

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 am

Culmclaret wrote:..and we mustn't forget the importance of the fans in helping to propel us to the dizzy heights we now occupy. We are a critical and self critical lot, but there is no other club that means so much to its town and its diaspora; no other club which so completely defines its home. At times our passion and the weight of our history has been an incubus but with the right formula of board, management team and players the unconditional support we give has played a huge part in the success.
Absolutely. I dread to think what the town would be without the club. So important to Burnley as a town.
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret bfcmik

Leamington Claret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Leamington Claret » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Some weeks ago on Five Live, a listener texted that the, 'Bubble will burst for Bitcoin, Burnley and Brexit." I was surprised that none of the regular posters on this board picked up on it at the time, but we then had that dip in form that made me think that he may have been right! How wrong I was to be swayed and so was he, about the Clarets; it remains to be seen about Bitcoin and Brexit on the other hand. UTC

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm 65 this year and was first taken on the Turf when I was 7 years old my first season ticket at 9 years old and I'm a typical dyed in the wool Claret. I saw some great players in the early day's and saw reasonable success but I really do believe that what we are as a team and a club is the best without a doubt. The current climate at the highest level in the football world is a climate you would never think we could survive in, we are doing more than surviving. It has been said that SD is the best thing that has ever happened to us he is one of the best things but we have to look at his employers, our owners those Burnley fans at the top, the men in the boardroom I think we are all pinching ourselves now and again, I'm loving it. UTC
These 3 users liked this post: Paul Waine califclaret hampsteadclaret

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:41 pm

In Sean Dyche we trust. The guy is a legend.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Appreciate the numerous likes, very gratifying to see how much the club means to so many of us,

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 am

Enjoyed the post immensely reading the thoughts of fellow Clarets on our exceptional season thus far. Watching the lads on Saturday there was something I hadn't seen for some time in a Burnley side and it took me some time to realise that we were playing with a confidence, almost bordering on arrogance, that belied our small town status. In the middle of the park Westwood and Cork were stroking the ball around with ease and of course given the form of our strikers at present we knew that Ash was going to score something special if we could deliver the right service. We could even afford the luxury of a lightweight, ball player (GK) on the left wing. That's something new for SD.
This may not be the best footballing side I've seen in a Claret shirt (The early 70s side with Casp, Dobbo, Fletch & co were lovely to watch) but this is certainly one of the most effective and ruthlessly efficient Burnley sides I've had the pleasure to watch in a long time. Long may it last :)

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 am

I'm in Dreamland along with everybody else but I'm most impressed with the quality of our football the last 3 matches.
I realise the opposition were not at their best but we showed a control and game management that we didn't have early season, even when the results were good.
This can only auger well for the near future.
Above all though we must keep SD as the figurehead of the club. Everything good has come from his appointment.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 am

Another great thread, when me and my son left Wembley with the biggest smiles we had ever shared, thoughts turned to what promotion to the PL meant, I decided to push the boat out and try to go to as many PL games the next season, as with the opening title and post of this thread "just to breathe it all in". As well as the home games (ST holder) we went to Stoke, West Ham, Spurs, Everton etc etc away and managed to get to 32 games and spent money we didn't or couldn't afford and all because this was our year, never to be recreated in my life time, or so I thought. Well, I remember the European nights on the Turf mid 60's (Fairs Cup), I may have been about 8 years old but I remember them, will I ever breathe them in again, surely not, but should they happen it will be the second time in my life time to push the boat out, breathe it all in and this time go to the away legs as well. Once a Claret always a Claret
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 cricketfieldclarets

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Absolutely. I dread to think what the town would be without the club. So important to Burnley as a town.
This comes up time and again about the importance of the club to the town and it is spot on. On the face of it Burnley is a fairly nothing sort of place with fairly high unemployment and low wages, it's not even the nicest place to look at, but then there is Burnley FC. I can't think of any other town or city that is so synonymous with it's football team than Burnley, when you look at the whole thing the ONLY thing that Burnley is famous for is it's football club, if it didn't exist neither would Burnley in terms of getting any mention at all in any kind of media. If there were no Burnley FC people outside of Lancashire (and even some in it) would be saying 'where?' The town would be just another little place that most people had never heard of hardly anyone knew where it was.
It's brilliant being a Claret, it brings it's joys and also many sorrows but it is our club and there would never be another club for me.
PS: I don't come from the town but originally only 8 miles down the road in Rawtenstall, now there's a place no-one knows or cares much about.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Spot on thread.

Yesterday was exactly 30years since my first burnley game (aged 6) a 0-3 Home defeat in division 4 to Wolves (I think Bull got a hatrick and George Oghani missed a penalty, though that bits a bit hazy). For years I never thought I’d see us reach the prem, the latter stages of a cup competition or battle for a place in European competition. It was all seemed such a far fetched dream. The clubs transformation, and for that the board and Dyche have to take huge credit, is fantastic and if that bubble does burst then id like to thank them from the bottom of my heart because i have thoroughly enjoyed the ride this last decade.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 986 times
Has Liked: 1659 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Siddo wrote:The main single factor was the appointment of Sean Dyche. The best thing to happen to our club, ever.
Yes and, almost, universally we all accept this, I think the most amazing thing is that despite SD's achievements, he too seems to have had the humility to accept that Burnley, is for now, the best thing for him.

I think we all expect the dream to start to fade when he goes but we all thought that it was imminent, very imminent for a moment or two, but it seems we may have another year or two under his guidance, but whenever it ends I think it is, already, such a passage of time coupled with a weight of achievements, and sprinkled too with Special moments, since Coyle s Crowning and subsequent abdication to where we are now cheekily toying with idea of European qualification that we're going to be residents of Proudsville for sometime yet.
I think those of us old enough to suffer the lows leading to 87, but not old enough to still have the memories of the 60's will hold this era, 1 season more to be a decade of unimaginable achievement, forever and ever etc etc etc...
UTC

PLTMGMBJ
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by PLTMGMBJ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Considering where we were in the 80's, the progress over the past several years has been phenomenal. Even more so when you consider we are swimming against the tide of unimaginable wealth at other clubs. I don't see why it can't be improved upon as long as we maintain the momentum in a safe, steady and prudent way.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm

I agree with everything said, but it could all dry up and fly away again just as much. Losing Sir Dyche would be crippling. His man management is second to none. But I've followed the club from afar for so long, and actually enjoyed every minute of it (mostly), that I can't go anywhere else. Up the Clarets, even if we go back to average 2,300 "crowds".