Nahki Wells

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Nahki Wells

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

He doesn't seem to have made the squad for a while even though we only had one forward on the bench on Saturday. Is he injured or just out of favour?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Nahki Wells

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:49 am

aggi wrote:He doesn't seem to have made the squad for a while even though we only had one forward on the bench on Saturday. Is he injured or just out of favour?
I think he's just 'out'. Obviously we can't judge him because he's hardly played but there is something not right there and I think it is going to go down as one of Dyche's rare 'failures'. With Vokes now our third choice striker he's not going to get much of a sniff really and with Wood and Barnes (how wrong was I about him) in such fabulous form I think he's surplus barring a disaster in injuries or suspensions. However we might just hang on to develop him more who knows.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 am

Strange one from day 1.

One area I hope we improve is recruitment. With a better scouting network we could afford to take these risks on players with a better pedigree.

Didnt work out and we are the most wealthy we have ever been. So luckily its not as big a deal as it couldve been. But we should still be prudent.

5m on am injured, out of favour and soon to be out of contract player with no top flight experience isnt a gamble we should be taking.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 am

houseboy wrote: I think it is going to go down as one of Dyche's rare 'failures'.
Arguably it is one of Dyche's successes that bringing Wells into the squad has raised the competition from the other three strikers so highly. Barnes in particular has been in stellar form and seems determined not to let go of the shirt for anyone else.

Wells always seemed a good option as a pacey forward to me, however it's turned out that we haven't needed a pacey option due to the performances of Barnes and Wood, which is unfortunate for him.

Shame for the lad, really, it's not that realistically it's not something Nakhi Wells could have affected himself.
These 6 users liked this post: Chip Harrison Colburn_Claret jetblackcat BleedingClaret k90bfc evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:58 am

Darthlaw wrote:Arguably it is one of Dyche's successes that bringing Wells into the squad has raised the competition from the other three strikers so highly. Barnes in particular has been in stellar form and seems determined not to let go of the shirt for anyone else.

Wells always seemed a good option as a pacey forward to me, however it's turned out that we haven't needed a pacey option due to the performances of Barnes and Wood, which is unfortunate for him.

Shame for the lad, really, it's not that realistically it's not something Nakhi Wells could have affected himself.
You make some good points there.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:19 pm

He is one of 4 fit strikers. Needed.
One injury/suspension and he is back in the frame.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:23 pm

He will leave in the summer, and we will likely recoup most if not all of the fee as he has a decent record in the Championship.

He may well prove a handy makeweight for any player we may want from a relegated side, for example.

In this case, he will have cost us his wages for the duration of the contract, which isn't bad at all for a competent back up striker.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:25 pm

You need a squad so players push each other. Not his fault if Barnes and co have raised their game but having said that seemed a bit of a gamble signing.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:31 pm

I think he's been a victim of our 4-5-1 being such a success.

And now he's got the best partnership in the premier league (by goals scored per minute) to deal with.

I'll be surprised if he leaves though. He knows that if he gets a chance and he plays well then he'll keep his shirt.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Strange one from day 1.

One area I hope we improve is recruitment. With a better scouting network we could afford to take these risks on players with a better pedigree.

Didnt work out and we are the most wealthy we have ever been. So luckily its not as big a deal as it couldve been. But we should still be prudent.

5m on am injured, out of favour and soon to be out of contract player with no top flight experience isnt a gamble we should be taking.
Good cast.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Imo its worked out to plan. He was only ever going to play if we had injuries/suspensions.

You need 4 as a minimum and £5m for that these days in the PL is nothing. Had we spent £5m on a 4th choice CM or CH who hasn’t played there wouldn’t be this issue.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 pm

He is that good that we had 2 ful backs and a cb and no winger on the bench at WBA. Cmplete mystery of a signing.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Improve on recruitment.

Pmsl.

clive40golf
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by clive40golf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:11 pm

A genuine question, do we know for definite that the transfer fee was £5mil or are we believing paper talk?
Also do you think we bought him to weaken the other football team ( they are having a problem scoring) and strengthen our position as it fills up a gap below us?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Deffo know the 2nd bit isn't true as he was surplus to requirements at Huddersfield because he didn't fit in with what Wagner wanted to do.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Arguably it is one of Dyche's successes that bringing Wells into the squad has raised the competition from the other three strikers so highly. Barnes in particular has been in stellar form and seems determined not to let go of the shirt for anyone else.

Agree with that. Maybe his presence has affected Barnes for the better but what of his future at the club now? Vokes is pretty much third choice now but maybe he would wait his turn at a PL club like Burnley rather than go back to the Championship (or worse). I really wish we could have seen more of him as he obviously was rated by Dyche.
Having said all that what the hell is my opinion worth, a few short weeks ago I was saying that Barnes wasn't PL quality and look at him now. Playing alongside Wood has given him a total re-birth. Wood and Barnes are the in-form strikers in the PL just now and barring injuries or suspensions I can't see anyone else getting a look in. If we were mid-table with nothing at stake Dyche may be tempted to experiment but with Europe still beckoning and the money that that and the PL standings may bring (not to mention pride) I can't see that happening. Suffice to say I have rarely been so happy to be proved wrong as far as Barnes is concerned.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:28 pm

if he had played and been rubbish then that's failure.He needs a Defour-like pre-season to energise him for next season

Dyche knows best

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Deffo know the 2nd bit isn't true as he was surplus to requirements at Huddersfield because he didn't fit in with what Wagner wanted to do.
Nothing to do with what Wagner wanted to do , Wells wouldn’t sign a new contract and was told he’d never play for Huddersfield again.
These 2 users liked this post: clive40golf Quickenthetempo

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:29 pm

clive40golf wrote:A genuine question, do we know for definite that the transfer fee was £5mil or are we believing paper talk?
Also do you think we bought him to weaken the other football team ( they are having a problem scoring) and strengthen our position as it fills up a gap below us?
The weakening option is a possibility.. I firmly believe west ham took Robert snodgrass to weaken Burnley last season.....as they along with us were down with the dead men.they didn't want him really.and unloaded him when safe.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets clive40golf

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:30 pm

To have three defenders on the bench last Sat and only one striker does look somewhat strange
We've seen very little of him which would seem to cast doubt on his ability (in the manager's eyes)
A few cameo appearances have done little to impress

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Good cast.
Ok then :roll:

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:29 am

Our Ashley was just fine 'before' Wells.....i don't buy that argument!
As for Nahki Wells he hasn't had a chance to prove himself...flog him in the summer, and cut our losses i say!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:32 am

Panic buy and a gamble, which sadly didn't pay off.
If he wasn't going to get regular minutes with only Barnes and Vokes fit, he's not going to get minutes at all.

In my opinion he is 5th choice, and if we are to improve year on year I can see 4th and 5th choice being replaced. Which is 2 of Walters , Wells and Vokes.
I'd be inclined to say the latter 2.

I think we will still recoup the fee mind, so not all bad, if he had bagged 2 or 3 from the bench, and got us a few points, people would have shouted masterstroke.
Our great form has also played a part in his failure.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:04 am

We can only play 11 players. We need plenty more than that for cover. We are generally going to play our strongest team. We will have to sign players who don't end up playing that much/if at all. Even our 'back up' players are going to cost a few quid, because of the level we are playing at now. That doesn't mean we've wasted money or there's an issue with recruitment.

To suggest recruitment is an area for improvement is really stretching it. Tarks, Pope, Brady, Lennon, Westwood, Lowton, Defour, Cork ....Dyche has done alright recently I'd say.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank cricketfield73

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:31 am

Indecisive wrote: Tarks, Pope, Brady, Lennon, Westwood, Lowton, Defour, Cork ....Dyche has done alright recently I'd say.

Looking at that brilliant collection of recruits, id say he's done a lot more than alright. ;)

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 am

Realistically, Wells (if 5th choice) and Walters (age) both need replacing this summer
Whether we can do that based on their current contract deals (which won't be cheap) remains to be seen
Sometimes you have to admit if signings have not worked out, and move on
We can afford these financial losses at the minute

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Indecisive wrote:We can only play 11 players. We need plenty more than that for cover. We are generally going to play our strongest team. We will have to sign players who don't end up playing that much/if at all. Even our 'back up' players are going to cost a few quid, because of the level we are playing at now. That doesn't mean we've wasted money or there's an issue with recruitment.

To suggest recruitment is an area for improvement is really stretching it. Tarks, Pope, Brady, Lennon, Westwood, Lowton, Defour, Cork ....Dyche has done alright recently I'd say.
We have done well. Thats not in question.

But we absolutely can improve. Especially with overseas recruitment and. / or integrating such players.

For every defour there have been countless overseas failures. Thats not aimed at dyche or unique to his tenure. As a club its an area we struggle.

Thankfuly our domestic recruitment is excellent.

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:19 am

Not so sure it was a panic buy, more an attempt at a calculated gamble.

Don’t mind the odd one of those, and it wasn’t at £10-£15m but I couldn’t ever see this one working out myself. Seen plenty of him, particularly at Bradford City, and he wasn’t going to be good enough at this level.

Shame, but suspect and hope we’ll be moving him on in the summer. Think Walters may go, too, so we should be looking at getting a good striker in, then you’ve an excellent group with Vokes, Wood, Barnes and another option.

D8BFC
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Not one for resigning old players for the sake of it - but Charlie Austin would be a great addition to the above 3.

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:22 pm

I certainly don't see it as a panic buy. The loss of Gray left us without any pace options up front. Wells was bought as the pace option.

As it happens we've had a decent season so haven't ended up needing to a move to a different tactic. Our successful tactic this season hasn't been the pace option so Wells has missed out.

Had we struggled and reverted to a counter attacking tactic Wells could easily have started most games.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank IanMcL

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
And now he's got the best partnership in the premier league (by goals scored per minute) to deal with.
That's a remarkable statistic. Can you point to an information source Lancaster?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed May 09, 2018 10:08 am

Now that we're near the end of the season, does this lad get a SD pre season and 12 months to show that he can play at this level?
Injury means he's not had the best of starts with us and he's contracted to 2020. I thought he would make a good vokes / wells partnership if we needed to play it over midfield, Nial Quinn / Kevin Philips type of combination.
Does he have the ability and skills. Is he doing the things on the training field that's being asked of him. Is the original reason for signing him been proved to no longer be required. Has he simply been bought on the cheap with a view to moving him on for a profit in a rising market?
He's one player who I'm struggling to try and predict if he's in or out this transfer window.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 am

I hope he gets a game this weekend ... I'm sure he will be playing a part sometime next season in the Europa. He cut a forlorn figure at the Emirates on the pitch for the one minute he was on it.dont know how he managed to applaud the away fans TBH. I just tell me self he's on a good wage which is a Bonus I suppose .

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 09, 2018 10:38 am

That's a remarkable statistic. Can you point to an information source Lancaster?
Sadly not! Just heard it in on the radio and due to the lack of actual strike partnerships these days thought it might well be true

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed May 09, 2018 3:34 pm

File under Sordell Bamford Hennings Long andJuke
Seans Achilles is strikers .We need to recruit
far better next season

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Like Barnes, Gray or Wood ?

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:File under Sordell Bamford Hennings Long andJuke
Seans Achilles is strikers .We need to recruit
far better next season
Did he not sign Gray then ...who's goals in the Championship fired us to promotion some of our support have very short memories

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Schmakhi Schwells

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Did he not sign Gray then ...who's goals in the Championship fired us to promotion some of our support have very short memories
Spending big money on Gray who had just scored 20 goals for a mid table team was hardly a masterstroke though was it?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:28 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Spending big money on Gray who had just scored 20 goals for a mid table team was hardly a masterstroke though was it?
Ok ...the bloke who has just guided us to seventh and back into Europe after a 50 year gap is useless in the transfer market! .....I ******* give up! :roll:

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed May 09, 2018 4:32 pm

You can tell the close season is upon us when you read threads like this.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Ok ...the bloke who has just guided us to seventh and back into Europe after a 50 year gap is useless in the transfer market! .....I ******* give up! :roll:
Where have I claimed that Dyche is useless in the transfer market? Surely you can see that buying Gray after his previous season was a very low risk signing? It just proves that generally you get what you pay for. We spent big money on a proven championship goalscorer and that's what we got.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed May 09, 2018 5:04 pm

If Wells short Burnley career wasn't over before Sunday then it is now, he couldn't even get on the pitch before Nkowdu, whose not even our player. If ever there was a time to give him 30 minutes in his natural position then that was it.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 09, 2018 5:09 pm

claretandy wrote:If Wells short Burnley career wasn't over before Sunday then it is now, he couldn't even get on the pitch before Nkowdu, whose not even our player. If ever there was a time to give him 30 minutes in his natural position then that was it.
The minute he spent on the pitch was not a good watch.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 pm

From what I've heard,Wells' has a high opinion of himself and his attitude hasn't been the best.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm

tim_noone wrote:The minute he spent on the pitch was not a good watch.
:lol: What Happened.....nothing?

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Wed May 09, 2018 6:40 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Where have I claimed that Dyche is useless in the transfer market? Surely you can see that buying Gray after his previous season was a very low risk signing? It just proves that generally you get what you pay for. We spent big money on a proven championship goalscorer and that's what we got.
And we then spent £15 million on a Championshio striker in Wood and look how well he's done.
I would also argue that if you break your transfer record on a player it is anything but a low risk signing because of the extra pressure involved.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Dazzler wrote:From what I've heard,Wells' has a high opinion of himself and his attitude hasn't been the best.
If true, that's dissapointing to hear and enough to see him out of the club this summer. Not the type we want in the dressing room.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed May 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Dazzler wrote:From what I've heard,Wells' has a high opinion of himself and his attitude hasn't been the best.
Unusual for a footballer?
he's going to set the PL alight next season, mark my words!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Wed May 09, 2018 10:30 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Unusual for a footballer?
he's going to set the PL alight next season, mark my words!
I'll expand on my stating 'he has a high opinion of himself'
He apparently considers himself a better player than both Vokes & Barnes and should be picked ahead of them.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill