Brady to Everton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Brady to Everton

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 am

Sunday Express suggesting Everton will bid for Brady in the summer. Suspect a lot of our players could be subject to approaches given how well we have performed, but the grass is not always greener even if the pay is better!

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Re: Brady to Everton

Post by Shore claret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am

20million +lookman, maybe

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2937 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

One of really tough challenges facing us going forward is keeping, or replacing where necessary, players who have been tempted away.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am

I think they’d be much better served trying to take our manager
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 am

I’d forgotten about Brady.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup randomclaret2

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:45 am

You know teams are desperate when they are poaching long term injured players from us. Unfortunately our success can't be replicated by signing one or two of our players.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 am

There will be a lot of cherry picking going on. 1) both keepers especially Pope 2) both Mee and Tarks 3) Defour 4) hendrick may be restless 5) arfield may want to go or not offered a contract 6)Vokes may want away 7)Wood

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 883 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 am

I'm more concerned that he comes back the same player. These injuries can take a player's 'top end'.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:52 am

Buying the parts doesn't help.Sigmunsson looked top class at Swansea poor at Everton.Keano with Ben Mee to bail out his mistakes looks Championship standard on a good day.
Its about the team a concept Everton dont get.Rooney was on the fade when he was signed and now looks poor.Everton had a massive team building job to do before BFS took over but unlike the days when they cherry picked our best players they dont have unlimited cash reserves.
They are now run by businessmen looking to turn a profit.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am

We've made a rod for our own back in some ways with our standing this season in the league. No longer are our players going to be targeted by lesser clubs but now by clubs who can offer much more than us. That's how it will be but hopefully our players will take a look at some recent departures and realise that the grass isn't always greener - Michael Keane and Andre Gray, the latter who now gets to sit and watch us beat Watford.
These 3 users liked this post: Corky blackburnturfite FCBurnley

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:55 am

Our players will be looked at now. The person we need to keep is Dyche. He'll get the best out of the players that stay.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am

If they want more cash they will go. If they want to improve ,work with under a good manager, game time and finish maybe higher up the league they will stay.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2378 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:58 am

I don't buy this Keane needs Ben Mee malarkey.

He made an assured England debut without another Burnley player anywhere near him.

He has not progressed but that is not solely down to changing his defensive partner, it's the whole framework of the team that is different. Siggurdsson has likewise struggle to regain his previous form.
This user liked this post: 1963Claret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:00 am

Anything from Everton at the moment has got to be speculation.

There's a 95% chance they will change manager in the summer, so I can't see them wasting money on players the new manager might not like.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 am

Just newspapers.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:32 am

JimmyRobbo wrote:I'm more concerned that he comes back the same player. These injuries can take a player's 'top end'.
In this day and age surgery and injury shouldn't make a difference to a player.

Look at Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes. Bad knee injuries but now far better players post injury.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am

Long term maybe, but even Everton aren't daft enough to buy a player who's missed half a season.

The only way we can realistically hold on to our best players, is to pay them what they are worth. Expensive but cheaper, and safer, than buying a replacement. Wether that is cash up front, or improve the very healthy bonus payments, based on final league position.....
If I was a pro footballer, looking at the league today, it would take a lot for me to want to leave Burnley. Barring the top six no one offers the potential that we do, but the key is holding onto SD. You could leave and find you have a new manager 6 months later, who doesn't fancy you as much as the guy who bought you. Much like Andre Gray. The grass is definitely not always greener.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 am

Blackrod wrote:Our players will be looked at now. The person we need to keep is Dyche. He'll get the best out of the players that stay.
Nail on head.

JimmyRobbo

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:05 am

Spijed wrote:In this day and age surgery and injury shouldn't make a difference to a player.

Look at Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes. Bad knee injuries but now far better players post injury.
Yes. My main concern though is not potential sales to Everton. It's his returning the same player. I'll add that even though surgery is a massive improvement and percentages are in his favour there's a lot for him to go through. There is still the possibility that it won't fully repair, there is an enormous post surgery physiotherapy programme and the mental impact of feeling secure with it are the obvious ones. 6 months not playing 1st team football, even when fully fit, can damage careers. Nothing is guaranteed; don't underestimate that.

Is Ings back to what he was? Looks ok from the odd minutes that I've seen. Nothing is guaranteed.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Anything from Everton at the moment has got to be speculation.

There's a 95% chance they will change manager in the summer, so I can't see them wasting money on players the new manager might not like.
Agree with this. Being widely reported that Allardyce is likely to leave. As a general point the club is bound to receive interest in some of our best players. The difference now is we can be a lot more stubborn by either refusing to sell or demanding much more money. If we get into Europe I would hope that mitigates the risk of players leaving which would be another upside of getting in the Europa League.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:The only way we can realistically hold on to our best players, is to pay them what they are worth. Expensive but cheaper, and safer, than buying a replacement. Wether that is cash up front, or improve the very healthy bonus payments, based on final league position.....
No, No, No.

We can never ever start to and match what other clubs pay players. Never ever.

Do that and we'll end up like Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland etc. within a few seasons.

If they leave then so be it, but whether bonuses or salaries start to rise at Burnley in line with other clubs we'll be ruined within a few years.
These 4 users liked this post: yorkyclaret Mad_tony_c Blackrod Chester Perry

JimmyRobbo

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:17 am

Spijed wrote:No, No, No.
Do that and we'll end up like Bolton, Blackburn, Sunderland etc. within a few seasons.
If they leave then so be it, but whether bonuses or salaries start to rise at Burnley in line with other clubs we'll be ruined within a few years.
I think Spijed is correct here. My nightmare is to follow a Stoke City blueprint; starting to pay big money and big wages for what turns out to be over-hyped talent.

Pay the going rate for a few difference makers down the spine, otherwise efficient expense on role-players with a work ethic is what I'm happy with.

Squad churning is absolutely fine, like what is about to happen with Arfield and what has happened with us for the last 10 years. A long list of players.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:17 am

Spijed wrote:No, No, No.

Very healthy bonuses is a model that could work whilst not over committing and risking financial meltdown. The problem with that though is that players will typically choose a higher fixed wage rather than the uncertainty of team performance related bonuses. Salaries will inevitably rise but I think the Board is wise enough to make sure protections are in place, such as significant wage reductions in the event of relegation aligned to tapering of parachute payments.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:21 am

There’s a reason Dyche is very selective about the personality characteristics of potential signings - part of his framework is based upon motivational incentives for players to self improve themselves. This is why he gets the best out of our players and forms the team ethos that is proving to be successful for us. You can’t buy that, and players that leave us lose it quite quick as we have seen.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 am

Spijed and taio are correct.

We can't go giving out massive basic wages, it must be heavily incentivised as it is now in relation to league position.

The absolute key for us is to get players whilst developing as their is a clear pathway to either England recognition or a move to a so called big club or players just past their peak like Lennon who are still hungry and committed.

Keep to that recruitment template and we will continue to see the success we are having.
These 3 users liked this post: taio Spijed Blackrod

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am

At the moment, to the best players in the EFL, we have to be one of the most attractive clubs to further their career.
Burnley have shown that if patient and hardworking, they will get a chance. Not only that, we are becoming a gateway to the England setup.
Our ability to continue mixing our recruitment with premier league and good young EFL players should see us ok for today and the medium term.
Our facilities and the location of our training ground make for a great place to go to work. All the positives from players past and present about the dressing room environment also count for a lot in job satisfaction.
Our wages keep increasing the better we do and I dare say that the lads will be further rewarded if we finish well this season.
There are always players looking to increase their lot, but when you factor in many of the other reasons for a player staying at Burnley, there are other considerations to take into account than just money alone.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:04 pm

If Everton get linked with any more of our players we won't be able to put a team out next season
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank Mad_tony_c boatshed bill

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:05 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:If Everton get linked with any more of our players we won't be able to put a team out next season
:lol: :lol:

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Over the past few seasons we've lost a number of players and I've no problem with that IF the money is daft (Gray), IF the player really doesn't want to stay (Shackell) or IF they aren't really part of our plans any more (Boyd). It's the recruitment of replacements which had been brilliant and that's where SD is SO important.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:26 pm

its not a problem really, part of football. if united wanted to buy tarks for 40 million the club wouldnt turn it down.
we bring them on and develop them, so if they look good in a burnley shirt and we are doing well, richer clubs will come calling.
we have avoided being ruined by big clubs cherry picking , on the contrary, we have achieved our best success in years.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:00 pm

You can understand to a certain extent players with England ambitions moving to somewhere like Everton, Leicester or West Ham,their resources and to a lesser extent standing in the perceived football hierarchy are higher. I would be interested to hear what Roy Keane and Martin O'Neil would say to the Irish boys, I think they would want them where they are playing solid, committed and uncompromising football that breeds a will to win

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Chester Perry wrote:You can understand to a certain extent players with England ambitions moving to somewhere like Everton, Leicester or West Ham
West Ham? Give it time and the way we are going, we'll be the best of the rest.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:We've made a rod for our own back in some ways with our standing this season in the league. No longer are our players going to be targeted by lesser clubs but now by clubs who can offer much more than us. That's how it will be but hopefully our players will take a look at some recent departures and realise that the grass isn't always greener - Michael Keane and Andre Gray, the latter who now gets to sit and watch us beat Watford.
You might well add Danny Ings to that. Short of game time I know but poor yesterday.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:23 pm

I am starting to suspect that the Burnley model could be heading towards "Brand Burnley". Using the method of (forgive me my American Football knowledge is almost non existant) Green Bay Packers - a small town that thrives by having a world wide following. This "our club" mentality is already quite strong locally and the name is now on the World stage - certain players will always move on but a core will be found who buy into the idea and become one club men who see the project as a potential life long employment. So long as the club continues to grow opportunities for post playing careers in the organisation will itself prove a draw for long sighted players.

I believe the sights are set higher than many of us believe and that the process is still in its earliest stages, and that in reality "we aint seen nothing yet"
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 pm

This sort of story is going to happen a lot and its probably wise to ignore all the speculation until it has a bit more in it - certainly in the case of players with 2-3 years left on their current deal. Mee might move on, Brady might move on, Defour might move on - but they probably won't all move on in one summer and the key is that we have a plan in place to deal with it, but also that everyone, including supporters, is realistic about what it means for us.

I 100% disagree with Colborn when he says above we should give players what they want, because it is safer. We shouldn't. We should stick to our model. If that ultimately involves players moving on to what they - and probably others in the game who don't have our view of Burnley - see as "bettering themselves", then we've got to use that as a positive and as part of our sales pitch when we approach the next Robbie Brady, etc., to join us. We need a core of players whose ambitions don't really go above playing for Burnley, or who are perpetually off-radar, and around those players there'll inevitably be a carousel of players who come and go as they use Burnley as a stepping stone to something better. We shouldn't be scared of that, we've got to embrace it. If Defour goes, it might well be the big chance for one of Westwood or Hendrick to step forward and be the main man at the heart of midfield alongside Cork (and Westy is already taking that chance). If Brady goes, then it might be a chance for someone else to come in out wide. Gray went and it allowed Wood his big break.

But what we also need to accept is that not every season will be like this. There will be seasons in the top flight when we don't have the momentum we've got now, where perhaps there's greater turnover of players and we can't adapt as seamlessly as we have this season, and so we struggle a bit. We've got to accept that as part of our lot. It might involve going down at some point, but it will definitely involve finding ourselves in a scrap at some point. But we've got to stick to the same model and back ourselves to get through the dip and rebuild. We won't always be 7th, and we can't ever expect to be higher than 7th.
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret mickleoverclaret Cajun Braindead

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:00 pm

;) I expect us to be sixth Spice!

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Will Brady be getting into the team though with Lennon and JBG doing so well. I think we are more effective with just one of Brady or JBG playing on the opposite wing to Lennon as they are very similar players, while Lennon is more of a pacy winger they are both more technical. I’d quite like to see us play JBG in the Hendrick position, with Brady and Lennon wide and Wood up top.

Really doubt he will be sold though for anything less than £20m and really doubt Everton would want him enough to pay close to that.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Going on about being sixth is fine, but "Dry Powder Lolz" and "that was the worst game I've seen" in the context of us at the moment is ludicrous.

And the people who said that sort of thing then, are the same people who won't want to understand just how spot on Spices post is.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 pm

People underestimate the pull of a fantastic team spirit and, at the moment, we have that in spades. Look at those who have recently signed long term contracts, especially SD, and as long as he’s here I don’t think we need fear a mass exodus. Everton won’t be high on any list after what’s happening to Keane so press speculation is merely that. We may even become the stepping stone to the top 6 that Everton used to be, but I can’t see the guys moving to teams below us even for bigger money. Also, SDs ability to get his guys England call-ups will be another big draw for decent players. I’m not at all stressed about this and look at the future with a certain confidence.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:15 pm

claretspice wrote:But what we also need to accept is that not every season will be like this. There will be seasons in the top flight when we don't have the momentum we've got now, where perhaps there's greater turnover of players and we can't adapt as seamlessly as we have this season, and so we struggle a bit. We've got to accept that as part of our lot. It might involve going down at some point, but it will definitely involve finding ourselves in a scrap at some point. But we've got to stick to the same model and back ourselves to get through the dip and rebuild. We won't always be 7th, and we can't ever expect to be higher than 7th.
So right in all aspects. And when our downturn comes everyone should get behind the board, manager and players because they deserve it and to help them through it. Won't happen though.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:25 pm

There's 2 big reasons why no-one will want to leave, europa league and Sean dyche, coupled with the fact that players that have left have already shown that the grass is not always greener, all this imo should make it very easy for the club to extend /renew players contracts, so imo I would doubt anyone is going anywhere, unless of course sd wants them to. On more than one occasion most of our players have gone on record as saying there's no better place to be that we're just one big family sd is testament to that ! Rest easy fellow clarets.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Stayingup wrote:You might well add Danny Ings to that. Short of game time I know but poor yesterday.
Not sure it's allowed to dish him on the board. But he's never been anywhere near good enough for a club the size of Liverpool in my opinion.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Stayingup wrote:You might well add Danny Ings to that. Short of game time I know but poor yesterday.
Ings was different though - he was always going and he went when we'd been relegated. Now clubs are looking at our players because they are taking us into the top area of the Premier League.

claretinkorea
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 70 times

Post by claretinkorea » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Hopefully we get a shot at the Europa League (and stay in past the qualification rounds). That might not stop all outgoings, but perhaps enough that it doesn't wreck the balance we have...

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Going on about being sixth is fine, but "Dry Powder Lolz" and "that was the worst game I've seen" in the context of us at the moment is ludicrous.

And the people who said that sort of thing then, are the same people who won't want to understand just how spot on Spices post is.
I'm pretty confident that any poster using the term lolz won't be able to read one of Spice's long posts.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:40 am

Probably the first team player I’d be least worried about, given he’s a fair way off even being fit.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 am

'Carry on Karen'

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

I think only Tripps who wanted away after relegation has done much in this league. Keane has played a bit but lost his England place Ings and Gray have had bit parts thus far. jay and Charlie have done OK for themselves regarding playing but suffered with big injuries (as has Ings). In the Championship Shacks seems a busted flush, Wallace Jones and Boyd have played a lot but in a lower division and only Boyd and Shacks wanted out.
Only two ex-clarets who have done much in the Prem are Pugh and Stanislas. Grant has usually been No. 2 at Stoke.
If one goes back further in time I don't think Ade Chaplow or Blake did much in this league.
Grass certainly greener financially but if you want to play you are mostly better off here where in the last 5plus years the "lawn feed" has probably been better than at most clubs and without it there is a tendency for the grass on the pitch to fade.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:36 am

Brady is one we could let go if the bid is right.

He had been excellent in the 4/5 games before injury but it’s taken some time.

I’ve a feeling that we’ll be starting from square one again when he’s back.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

If you believe all that is in the media it appears that Everton are just gonna come along and buy our whole team. Before anyone goes there they need to have a word with Michael Kean.