Can anyone recommend a roofer

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Can anyone recommend a roofer

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 am

I'm about to have a bit of work done on the house so I'm starting at the top and want to get the roof checked. It might not need any work doing but I think it is advisable to have it looked at. And I definitely need the loft re-insulating.

Can anyone recommend anyone local (I live in Burnley)?

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Re: Can anyone recommend a roofer

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:28 am

Peter Nadin is your man.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am

Whatever you do get 2 or 3 round for advice/quotes

There's Peter Nadin as pointed out above, but also S and P roofing and John Ormasher are also worth giving a ring.

All aspect roofing are also quite a big firm around here, but never used them myself

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am

Shop around for the insulation because prices can vary quite a bit. If there is anyone in the house on any kind of benefits you might be able to get it for nothing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am

Hendrickxz wrote:If there is anyone in the house on any kind of benefits you might be able to get it for nothing.
The only benefits I have are being able to chat to some of you on the message board. :D

So, unfortunately it won't be free. The insulation needs re-doing.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

bfccrazy wrote:Peter Nadin is your man.
Also great for headaches. Prob at the same lad that went to Rosegrove school when I did.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Andrew Sykes.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Use the Rated People App

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:10 pm

CT there are plenty of free grants around for loft insulation.

British gas run a scheme another is Eon and you don't need to be their customer either.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... insulation

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Craig Prosser - does roofing & maintenance

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Dick Van Dyke - Chim Chim Cher-ee

Billy_Bumface
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Post by Billy_Bumface » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Another recommendation for Peter Nadin, top bloke, knows his stuff and a fair price.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations so far - really appreciate it

Claretitus
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 207 times

Post by Claretitus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Bob the Builder- when asked can he fix it?, a loud cry of YES HE CAN! was the answer.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Don't take them.

It's not worth it. They're dangerous.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Oh.

My mistake.

I thought you said roofies.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 pm

MACCA wrote:Whatever you do get 2 or 3 round for advice/quotes

There's Peter Nadin as pointed out above, but also S and P roofing and John Ormasher are also worth giving a ring.

All aspect roofing are also quite a big firm around here, but never used them myself
This obsession people have with 3 quotes annoys me. I am in a trade and will happily give a price to established customers if its a product they have to sell on but it makes more sense to find someone who just does the job properly for a fair price which will rarely be the cheapest price.
in roofing/building if you get someone to price they often price on worst case scenario. They price the job to include a problem or 2 so you usually end up paying over the odds. I would personally get someone who is honest and knows his job and just ask for a general budget price. Let him get on with job and if he finds any real problems just tell him to keep you informed.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:22 pm

I'd suggest my brother-in-law, but I wouldn't recommend him.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:27 am

Fred Astaire.

Can anybody recommend an audiologist?

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

claretnproud wrote:This obsession people have with 3 quotes annoys me. I am in a trade and will happily give a price to established customers if its a product they have to sell on but it makes more sense to find someone who just does the job properly for a fair price which will rarely be the cheapest price.
in roofing/building if you get someone to price they often price on worst case scenario. They price the job to include a problem or 2 so you usually end up paying over the odds. I would personally get someone who is honest and knows his job and just ask for a general budget price. Let him get on with job and if he finds any real problems just tell him to keep you informed.
I agree with this, my dad is a roofer and been in the business over 30 years (started off as a plumber). The only time you need to get 3 quotes, usually, is for an insurance claim. My dad has never advertised as all of his work comes from word of mouth and people know he if fair and a great worker. A lot of his 'regular' clients are concerned when he retires as they have no one to turn to who they trust!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am

ClaretDiver wrote:I agree with this, my dad is a roofer and been in the business over 30 years (started off as a plumber). The only time you need to get 3 quotes, usually, is for an insurance claim. My dad has never advertised as all of his work comes from word of mouth and people know he if fair and a great worker. A lot of his 'regular' clients are concerned when he retires as they have no one to turn to who they trust!
The one reason I asked on this board, and the reason other people do, is because word of mouth is probably the best recommendation of all.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 am

Harmour Roofing from Accrington. Not the cheapest but the best.
This company are a 3rd generation outfit and have been trading over 60 years
Trust me when dealing with roofs don't go for the cheapest option.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

claretnproud wrote:This obsession people have with 3 quotes annoys me. I am in a trade and will happily give a price to established customers if its a product they have to sell on but it makes more sense to find someone who just does the job properly for a fair price which will rarely be the cheapest price.
I agree with this I know someone who got the “cheapest builders” to do her work and they have made a real mess. An occasion I would get more than one quote is if you are wanting say a landscaping job when you are seeking ideas. As for your roof get someone local who has been highly recommended would be my advice.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am

I understand than, is rather pay more for better workman ship, making sure it's 100% to your satisfaction.
However if you don't know anyone ( as the OP stated ) you can't make sure they're hones and reliable lile you suggested, can you?
Also a written quote allows you to see/research the quality and price of the materials they are using.

Only the other week on here we were discussing boilers.

Boilers can commonly cost anything from £400-£1200.
I'd certainly want to know what sort of boiler was going in, therefore after 2 or 3 written quotes with the tradesman coming to price up, you will get more or a feel of the person you're employing, and the confidence or advice he has given.

I think only getting, and going for quote number 1 every time if you're unknown to the needed trade or person, you will end up with more issues than getting 2 or 3.

If you're shelling out large sums of money especially on an important part of your home, you need to be extra sure you've the right man for the job.

Ps I used to be in the building trade, and never had an issue with people saying I've already had a quote, or I'll be getting further quotes.
Also I'd have no issues giving a written itemised quote. I find people who refuse, may have something to hide, or are not wanting to answer pressing questions in terms of finance.

Sausage
Been Liked: 638 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:51 am

Completely agree with Macca, above. You're not just asking for quotes but generally trying to suss out whether you think the roofer is a genuinely honest tradesman or a conman. I sourced four quotes for my roof when I had it done in 2014 and I ended up picking the most expensive because he was the only one who a) turned up when he said he would; b) itemised his quote; and c) offered me references.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 pm

probably one of the reasons he was the most expensive was that he prices up plenty of jobs that he doesnt get. It takes time to do a detailed quote and time is money. Claret Tony has asked for recommendations for someone to do the job and it looks like he has some well recommended options. If I was Tony I would ring the one who sounds best and talk to him and probably get him to come and look at job. Ask for an idea of price and leave him to it.
Like I said before, I am in business and have several really good contractors I use and trust and respect comes into it. If I don't trust someone I don't use them regardless of price.
I had a customer in this morning asking me to price a small job and he started quibbling over a tenner. followed him outside and he was driving a brand new 60 grand beamer. He won't get the best deal acting like he does and in future rather than looking after him like I do with all my customers I will be charging him top dollar.
I don't advertise, never have, but have very little time for messers and I don't in turn mess anyone else about. So many people are unreliable and its no wonder they have to go round pricing/under cutting. I wouldnt let half of them sweep up.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:52 pm

This one is different than the other work I want doing in that I don’t know if anything needs doing or not. It needs checking and sorting, if required.

The next two jobs are new windows & a new central heating system. With those at least I know what needs to be done.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Rufus Tiler is good

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm

It's like anything. The people who have been in the trade the longest are the best.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 pm

MACCA wrote:I understand than, is rather pay more for better workman ship, making sure it's 100% to your satisfaction.
However if you don't know anyone ( as the OP stated ) you can't make sure they're hones and reliable lile you suggested, can you?
Also a written quote allows you to see/research the quality and price of the materials they are using.

Only the other week on here we were discussing boilers.

Boilers can commonly cost anything from £400-£1200.
I'd certainly want to know what sort of boiler was going in, therefore after 2 or 3 written quotes with the tradesman coming to price up, you will get more or a feel of the person you're employing, and the confidence or advice he has given.

I think only getting, and going for quote number 1 every time if you're unknown to the needed trade or person, you will end up with more issues than getting 2 or 3.

If you're shelling out large sums of money especially on an important part of your home, you need to be extra sure you've the right man for the job.

Ps I used to be in the building trade, and never had an issue with people saying I've already had a quote, or I'll be getting further quotes.
Also I'd have no issues giving a written itemised quote. I find people who refuse, may have something to hide, or are not wanting to answer pressing questions in terms of finance.
boilers can be a licence to print money for some plumbers. I did my house up a while ago and needed a new boiler as well as central heating and new plumbing throughout. I asked a mate of mine who is a plumber to recommend a boiler and he did so went to plumbers and was quoted £1200. went on tinternet and got same boiler for £850. let my mate crack on doing all plumbing. no mention of prices. end of job all plumbing done and his labour came to £1100. I gave him £1250. all work done under budget because I let him fit something he was familiar with and I didnt pester him for prices. just get someone recommended and trustworthy and supply them what they need to do job. better still if they fit something they recommend to you because there can be no excuses then.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Graham Birdsall in Keighley is absolutely top class. He does traditional slate roofs and modern stuff too. Really good work ethic and doesn't't over charge.

Dyed in the wool Leeds supporter but still a very decent bloke, and highly recommended. Does all my roof work and I've needed a fair bit recently.

01535 646105

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks for those who gave me suggestions. I went for Peter Nadin in the end and wasn't disappointed.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Thanks for those who gave me suggestions. I went for Peter Nadin in the end and wasn't disappointed.
Glad he at least turned up for ya

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Thanks for those who gave me suggestions. I went for Peter Nadin in the end and wasn't disappointed.
He's been doing it almost 50 years. A nice bloke also.