New markings at the roundabout near The Range/Town Mouse

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

New markings at the roundabout near The Range/Town Mouse

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Time and time again people are still not using this roundabout correctly following the new markings on the road. Left hand for M65 ONLY, why can't people see this?

A **** in a Juke nearly side smashed me today and then honked their horn at me as they were in the M65 lane and wanted to go straight on up towards Halfords. ******* ****.

What is wrong with people?
This user liked this post: Castlerigg claret

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: New markings at the roundabout near The Range/Town Mouse

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:06 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Time and time again people are still not using this roundabout correctly following the new markings on the road. Left hand for M65 ONLY, why can't people see this?

A **** in a Juke nearly side smashed me today and then honked their horn at me as they were in the M65 lane and wanted to go straight on up towards Halfords. ******* ****.

What is wrong with people?
Aaaahh.....but there's no pot holes.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Been a thread about this before, with posters going out with dash cams to clear it up

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Difficult to go around this roundabout without witnessing a near collision or two.
Unreal how many people can't understand basic road markings & layouts.

ClaretinMyBlood
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretinMyBlood » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:Been a thread about this before, with posters going out with dash cams to clear it up
That was another section of the same roundabout :lol:

It's an entertaining roundabout

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Oh ok

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... Roundabout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 pm

I have to laugh.

I'm just thinking of fans of other clubs coming on to this board thinking 'I wonder what the supporters of the 7th best placed club in England are talking about'.......

Then reading this thread title. :lol:

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:09 am

It might be a bit easier if there was more warning or signs further back. I.e. at least at the lights. Once you get down the road, unless you know the new markings its hard to know which lane to be in. Especially if following a sat nav or if youre used to how it was before the markings. Fwiw i assume you need to be in the right lane to go towards the m65. Not the case?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 am

If you're heading past the range you need to be in the left for M65 past the college etc. The other two lanes merge into straight ahead past aldi on the left and Halfords etc.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:39 am

Oh im thinking of coming down with sainsburys to the right and where gus used to be on the left. The dual carriageway.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:03 am

The two roundabouts at Gannow must have been designed by a crash-for-cash expert.
These 3 users liked this post: dsr yosserhughes Juan Tanamera

Loyalclaret

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:52 am

After the spiral roundabout was explained in the last thread it becomes easier- I’d never heard of it before then.

Think the short run up to the roundabouts do not help

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:04 am

Nothing beats the one at Reedyford for going against all that's sensible.

sox8595
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by sox8595 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:10 am

Reedyford is a nasty bit of design
This user liked this post: tim_noone

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

I don't know how people struggle with spiral roundabouts, the premise is really simple.

The new roundabout setup at J13 works perfectly as well, unless numbskulls can't read signs and follow marked lanes.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:I don't know how people struggle with spiral roundabouts, the premise is really simple.

The new roundabout setup at J13 works perfectly as well, unless numbskulls can't read signs and follow marked lanes.
I use the one at Lomeshaye every Tuesday evening(I take my eldest to dancing at Sanderson's). Every time, seemingly without fail, I am cut up by someone who hasn't chosen the right lane to get on the M65 westbound. It's maddening!

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:15 am

A lot of it is people's stubbornness in thinking they know how to drive, and when they passed their test, this is how things were done. They're not keeping up with the world, and in this case are causing car crashes as a result.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I use the one at Lomeshaye every Tuesday evening(I take my eldest to dancing at Sanderson's). Every time, seemingly without fail, I am cut up by someone who hasn't chosen the right lane to get on the M65 westbound. It's maddening!
I work on Lomeshaye and late last year had an encounter with a total ****** in an old black BMW who cut me up doing just that. He was in the lane to go on to B&Q but dived in at the last second, making me slam on and toot my horn. He took umbrage at me doing this and then repeatedly slammed on all the way down the slip road, as all other cars were accelerating.

It was sh*t scary to be honest, and this guy looked unhinged. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera recording, because otherwise I'd have been sending it off to the police. Properly dangerous driver.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

Roundabouts. Signs denoting which lane to be in on approach.

Vivary way , Colne. Bollards separating the two lanes for the last 100 mts before the traffic lights. Stop the d1ckheads racing up in the right hand lane and cutting in at the top. :x :x

Pot holes. Use HS2 money to fix our roads , properly.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:51 am

karatekid wrote:
Vivary way , Colne. Bollards separating the two lanes for the last 100 mts before the traffic lights. Stop the d1ckheads racing up in the right hand lane and cutting in at the top. :x :x
My suggestion would be to have a gigantic circular saw, which would chop people who do this into two.

That'd put a stop to it.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 pm

I started the original thread questioning which lane you should be in going from ASDA, past the Town Mouse exit and up towards Kwik Fit, and I still have no idea as its currently set up. I think we concluded on the other thread that the road markings are so unclear/confusing it can be interpreted in different ways, which is obviously terrible for what's supposed to be a functional roundabout. I went round at rush hour the other day and it was horrendous, with traffic slowing to a crawl as the two lanes desperately try and merge (God knows who's in the right/wrong). I think somebody said it might make more sense when the lights are turned on, lets hope so.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm

I have had several near misses on this roundabout with the very same problem. I have also nearly been hit by someone coming down the hill when i am turning towards B&M and there is standing traffic. Heres me thinking traffic entering a roundabout had to give way to the right and cars already on the roundabout!
J9 is annoying too. Before Burnley Bridge was built there were 2 lanes to just turn right over the bridge to the Network 65 roundabout so naturally most people would go into left lane and just go round. Now there is a left turn onto Burnley Bridge and people still go in the left lane to turn right. I have been in the right hand lane a couple of times with a car in the left lane and they have come right across me to go right. Fortunately i have half an eye on them doing this so i am prepared. The lack of updated road signs and markings there is a problem but local people with the knowledge have no excuse. Left for left..right for right. It's not rocket science.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:30 pm

SammyBoy wrote:I started the original thread questioning which lane you should be in going from ASDA, past the Town Mouse exit and up towards Kwik Fit, and I still have no idea as its currently set up. I think we concluded on the other thread that the road markings are so unclear/confusing it can be interpreted in different ways, which is obviously terrible for what's supposed to be a functional roundabout. I went round at rush hour the other day and it was horrendous, with traffic slowing to a crawl as the two lanes desperately try and merge (God knows who's in the right/wrong). I think somebody said it might make more sense when the lights are turned on, lets hope so.

Left lane for Active Way toward Sainsburys, right lane for Royle Road toward Town Mouse and Active Way toward Kwik Fit

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:39 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:My suggestion would be to have a gigantic circular saw, which would chop people who do this into two.

That'd put a stop to it.
Killing people for driving in the wrong lane.

Jesus Christ..

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:40 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Killing people for driving in the wrong lane.

Jesus Christ..
No he was killed by the Romans
These 2 users liked this post: RocketLawnChair cricketfieldclarets

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Falcon wrote:Left lane for Active Way toward Sainsburys, right lane for Royle Road toward Town Mouse and Active Way toward Kwik Fit
That's the lane I think is correct, the problem is the road markings which make it seem like the left lane is also fine.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:No he was killed by the Romans
No. The Jews killed Jesus. Just ask Jeremy Corbyn.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:No. The Jews killed Jesus. Just ask Jeremy Corbyn.
We had nothing to do with it

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Falcon wrote:Left lane for Active Way toward Sainsburys, right lane for Royle Road toward Town Mouse and Active Way toward Kwik Fit
Would make sense if not for the markings on the approach, which suggest left lane for Royle Road toward Town Mouse...

IMO, they've put the labels on the roundabout.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Oh. Maybe I am wrong then

ClaretTim
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by ClaretTim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Leave the arrows in the pic above, remove the A679 markings from both lanes approaching the roundabout and problem solved. There are small lane guidance markings on the roundabout that even show you where to filter across. Welcome to the spiral roundabout - albeit one that is a bit on the small side. I'm hoping it will be better once the lights are working.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Maybe? Clearly I would say, had a run down for a look after the last thread, can't see how there is any doubt, but some prick in a Volvo just had to turn right from the left lane alongside me. Despite what was said on the previous thread it is not a spiral roundabout. Maybe they could change to markings to A679 NORTH (left lane), and A679 SOUTH (right lane).

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:13 pm

According to the lane markings on that roundabout, two cars can approach simultaneously, one in the left hand lane to go straight on to Town Mouse, one in the right hand lane heading for Gannow junction. Then as soon as they come onto the roundabout, the Town Mouse chap carries straight on in the left hand lane while the Motorway chap also has to move into the left hand lane. This is where the planners evidently don't see a problem. The left hand lane isn't wide enough for two cars.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:36 pm

How do I exit spaghetti junction ?

ClaretTim

Post by ClaretTim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Dsr...not quite. There are intermittent lane markers that look like an 'x' on the road that indicate when you should move over, after the Town Mouse junction....see photo on the other thread

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 pm

ClaretTim wrote:Dsr...not quite. There are intermittent lane markers that look like an 'x' on the road that indicate when you should move over, after the Town Mouse junction....see photo on the other thread
There are. But if you look at the picture on post 67 of the other thread, you can see that the A679 is painted on the road in the left hand lane, before the Town Mouse exit.

ClaretTim

Post by ClaretTim » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Agreed. Would take off the A675 and M65 from there as well. Someone had a real bad day with the paintbrush

SammyBoy

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:57 pm

The thing that annoys me is that literally the first time I took the roundabout after the markings were repainted I knew something wasn't right, I might not have known what exactly but it was clear something was off. Who are the gibbons that have looked at this and thought "yeah, that's bang on"? They actually get paid to do this, you'd think they would do some due diligence first, perhaps even test driving it themselves. I try and stay away from declinism, but that roundabout was definitely better before, it might have got busy at peak times but at least it was straightforward enough.