Anyone considered moving to France?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Anyone considered moving to France?

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 am

I've been watching too many episodes of Escape to the Chateau. :lol:

Anyway, I wondered about selling up and moving to the South of France. After a little online research, I discovered so many affordable properties....interesting period properties and many with Gites to bring in an income.

So, has anyone already made the move? What was your experience? Was it a good decision?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: Anyone considered moving to France?

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

God, you too?

My wife is hooked on it

Having french relations, I'd say it would be a great idea, but be able to speak French fluently would certainly help.

Doesn't Rowls live there now? He might be able to give you some tips

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 am

Think they have a property tax paid by the person living in the property and another one for the owner so if you live in your own home you have two taxes. No idea how the cost compares with here

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 am

Not France as such but I've always thought the idea of moving to somewhere in Europe sounds appealing, even if only temporarily just to experience it for a few years. The main problem I can foresee is that I can only speak English (and some very rudimentary German), whilst this isn't usually an issue on holiday I could imagine it being a hindrance when it comes to finding decent paying employment. I'd be interested to know how anybody who has actually moved has fared in this regard.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 am

Not me love it in padiham
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 am

Isn't it Rowls who's over in France?

I believe Saxo has also spent some time there.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 am

Saxo should go back -- to a remote area where there is no internet access! :lol:

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am

No France is to cold, the winters are no warmer than ours

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am

I once thought about it but someone mentioned there were lots of french there :D .

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 am

I believe Henry V did.

Had a nasty encounter at Agincourt which resulted in a two fingered salute.

john'sroseyspecs
Been Liked: 364 times

Post by john'sroseyspecs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am

My mother lived for about ten years in the Tarn region. Lovely big farmhouse with 2 gites (after a lot of hard work) go for it i say. Locals friendly if you make an effort with the langauge and get involved with village life. Day to day running of the gites not too much hassle.

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

I moved to France last year, my partner and I got a cottage with some land for me to grow veg in the deep countryside closish to my fiancees parents and friends. I've been quite lucky in that she takes care of all the communication when needed, but I will say this, learning French is without doubt the most difficult thing I've ever tried to do. You have to be relentless with it day in day out. I haven't got or have never had the greatest of memories so I have to keep on revising and going over everything learnt again and again and again. You really do need to speak the language, I can't stress this enough. There are some fun apps you can download to your phone such as DuoLingo, Mesmerize and others, they're interactive and should start you off. I've found that with Germanic, dutch and northern European languages, they're a little more closely linked with the English language, however with French, Spanish, italian , they seem more latinified and mixed up when compared to the aforementioned. Keep plugging away at it and don't do what I've done by doing a few days here and a few days there...I'm quite busy with the work at home but it really isn't any excuse for not being able to fit in an hour a day. Anyhow, good luck if you do move, the weather is great as is the food,the pace of life is steady away and even though I'm out in the sticks a bit I've still managed to watch every Burnley game this sseason. One other thing, take as much official documentation as possible that you have, the French are absolutely hardcore when it comes to buearocracy, opening a bank account required a lot of official paperwork.
These 2 users liked this post: Guich LoveCurryPies

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:38 am

From Poitou Charentes down (top end of the South West Region and about 100 miles further south than the Escape to Chateau programme) you can pretty much guarantee the weather April to October but, as Top Claret says, winters can be bitterly cold, just as they can in Italy btw.

Rural property prices are around 25 per cent of the UK - you can get a three bed cottage with garden from 100k euros, sometimes lower. 10k to 20k for a small pool (7m by 4m). Maintenance and bills similar to UK - Tax Fonciere and Tax Habitations (Council Tax) at around 800 Euro a year combined, Elec is cheaper, oil is good heating.

Being able to speak French in restaurants/shops is really important (unless you're in Dordogne) and the more you can do the better. Though since the EU vote local French, who have always been friendly have become even more so, the younger end particularly trying to speak English, same in Italy.

If you love the outdoors, cycling/swimming/gardening and you love quality food, particularly beef and seafood, and you want the sunshine, it's a good plan if you research your area. Particularly if you can work anywhere; artisan, spark, roofer, chef; or if you can do all your work online.
This user liked this post: 4:20

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am

You may have to make your own curry pies though :)

JegunClaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by JegunClaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 pm

We moved to the Gers 11 years ago and have no regrets at all. However, one thing we have learned is that by chance we bought a property within walking distance of a busy little village (1000 inhabitants) and we couldn't have chosen better. Over time, people learn that having neighbours is the best way to integrate, and the villagers involve us in everything. There is a very popular bar here too, and we have met up with new friends both French and English, so now have a very active social life.

Many of our Ex Pat friends who have lovely countryside properties say that they wished that they had looked at the location more closely before buying. It can get very lonely out there if you have to drive everywhere for shops, entertainment, schools and friends. You will need a lot of contacts during your first few years, don't forget that things don't happen the way they do in the UK, and if your French is not too good you will find life very frustrating. Many people move back to the UK because they can't handle the system, you need a good French friend to help you out.

Good luck, and expect lots of visitors, so find a handy airport that has flights to your preferred UK airport.

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1186 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Top Claret and Guich speak the truth when it comes to the weather in winter. We live in Puy-du-Dome, about 700m above sea level, from about the middle of November till probably the end of this month we will have had the oil fuel central heating on. I remember last year as soon as May hit, wow, it got hot and didn't relent until October. We have a wood burner in the front room but it hasn't been enough to heat the house without the (admittedly costly) oil heating. We are trying to insulate our loft this year to help things.
The winter has been quite wet (typical for the region), we've had some bitterly cold weeks with deep snow here and there..at the moment it's 8°c...last week though we had a day at 24°c...some crazy fluctuations in temperature. But once that heat hits for good in May, its incredible, persistent 30+ temperature, we went the majority of may and June without a drop of rain, July and august were wet but hot and September and October were mostly glorious.
Down the hills and onto the flats at Clermont Ferrand and east, it's noticeably warmer and more humid (400m lower mind) and its a lot easier to grow a larger variety of fruit and veg.
I'd say here, where I am now reminds me a lot of Lancashire, mixed with the lake district...its homely but a little more extreme on the temperature front at either end of the scale.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:16 pm

I'm over in France and can recommend it. I live in a brilliant little city, the weather is usually great (although it's tipping it down today and has been for a while now), there's a great social life here, the food, the wine, restaurants, bars, cafes ... etc.

And the poxy friggin beach if that's your thing.

But I was lucky enough to have a job offer before I moved over and a ready-made social circle of people who I already knew. As that was my route in, I'm limited to the advice I can give you: I had all the pathways set up for me (by pure chance) and a set of friends who helped me settle.

Learning languages is difficult. VERY difficult. You have to put a lot of time and effort into it. And it's like dieting in one respect in that if you put a crazy amount of effort into it for a month or so but then lapse into not trying afterwards then your results aren't very effective - you have to affect the change day after day, little by little and build your whole lifestyle around it. You have to engage in the French lifestyle - you won't ever be French but you have to live as if you were.

Moving to nice large property in the middle of the countryside with a gite sounds great but that could also be very isolating - especially if you don't have fluent or great French to start with.

I'd advise moving somewhere more sociable like a small city first so that you have much more opportunity to learn and practice your French and interact with the French. It's very easy to fall into the ex-pat cul de sac.

I'll answer any questions you may have but that's the best advice I could offer.
This user liked this post: Putneyclaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Top Claret wrote:No France is to cold, the winters are no warmer than ours
Depends on where you live.

I dined outside last year on 23rd December. Yeah I was wearing a jumper and we went inside as soon as the sun went down but it was a lovely sunny day.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I had a house there for many years. I don't agree about the climate. Some areas appear to have a micro climate such as the Charente.
Top tip from me learn French and integrate. I think programmes like the one you are watching sometimes paint the wrong picture. My second tip is you do not need an English solicitor to rip you off with more fees ( very different if buying in Spain).

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Some interesting points made!
I moved to France nearly 6 years ago. I'm in the south-east and climate is pretty much mediterranean. I still feel like I'm on my holidays!
I agree with 4.20 and Rowls regarding learning French. Total immersion is really the only way, and I'd say if you're not committed to learning the native language you'd be best staying at home. Took me about 3 years to get any sort of mastery and even now I'm not fluent in any way. Having said that I am in my 50's and for younger folk I'm sure it comes quicker.
Anyway I'm speaking French every day and most of my friends are French. My 2 pieces of advice would be:
1. Avoid the British enclaves if you really want to integrate yourselves into the culture. (and insist on speaking French with the locals, even if they are competent in English)
2. Don't make my mistake of retreating to the internet for English language media. Listen as much as you can to French Radio (eg. France Inter, it's a bit like 5Live), TV etc. However this is easier said than done!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Some great replies. I will reread them this evening when I have more time.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 pm

I think you might struggle to find Curry Pies in France too !

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm

I spent two weeks with a group of French-speaking Belgians on an art residency. Two weeks of listening to French was enough. I went to a great Greek restaurant in town but after two hours of Greek music I was glad to leave. When I lived in Barcelona it became a joke to hear Latin music playing from scruffy bars.

Think euro pop, think Brexit for the sake of your ears if nothing else. Mind you, I'm glad I don't frequent the same air space as Radio I users. There were workers on the building for two months and I became psychotic over their radio play.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Not everyone's as closed minded as you pstotto

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Troll with a pencil up your plastic hole this morning, UTB?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3339 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:20 pm

A good fiend of mine sold up in Baxenden about 4 years ago and moved to a rather dilapidated property in very rural France. Her chap is something of a handy man so was able to do quite a bit of self renovating (as well as doing jobs for locals). They mixed in well with the villagers and quickly learned the language meaning they are are now very much part of the community.They do B&B in a couple of the spare rooms and are happier (at 47) than they ever were over here. Both have been heard to say "the best decision we ever made". I stayed with them during last summer and could easily have been "hooked" too.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Lots of excellent advice on here.
I think that you would be surprised how many Clarets either now reside in France, or like us, have a 2nd home there and spend significant periods of the year out there.
(Having a 6 week break without a home game is a definite incentive to stay away for longer.)
One point not really mentioned so far is that France is such a vast and diverse country, and so you can't generalise on many points.
The guy I sit with on the Turf has a property near the South coast. He needs air-con turned high throughout much of the year, but it gets really cold in the winter.
We are more in the North West, and winters are very mild, (rarely dropping anywhere close to freezing due to the warm Atlantic breezes), but then we get a lot more rain in the summer months - although they can still be v hot.
Culturally though the regions are much different, and you will find far more English speakers in some areas than others, and of course in certain areas - such as the Dordogne, you'll find a lot of British.
Contrary to what is often rumoured, we find virtually all French people to be very helpful and co-operative, and if you just try a little bit of French speaking then they respond really well.
As said in a couple of posts, most things that involve bureaucracy are a nightmare, (e.g. i recently wanted to cancel my mobile phone contract. To do this I had to send a letter by recorded delivery to the Head office of SFR, and wait a week for confirmation!), and transactions at the bank and at public offices are rarely straightforward.
That being said I pay virtually everything by direct debit now, and pay most other bills online, so it's the same as being at home.
Pace of life is much more relaxed everywhere, and food and drink are - unquestionably - excellent.
Distances between major towns / regions are huge, but infrastructure and roads are much superior to ours, and pot-holes are a rarity even on rural lanes.
Buying cheap and renovating is probably the best way, but it does mean that - depending on the size of project - you spend a lot of time working on it for the first couple of years, (and for some people a decade or more!).
Without stating the obvious, the more time you are able to stay out there the more opportunity you will have to balance work (renovations) and leisure.
It's a very easy decision to make if you are retired and have the funds, but if you are thinking of going to live out there permanently as a worker, then you will need to do a lot of careful research - especially if your linguistic skills are limited.
Good luck!
This user liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:55 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Lots of excellent advice on here.
I think that you would be surprised how many Clarets either now reside in France, or like us, have a 2nd home there and spend significant periods of the year out there.
(Having a 6 week break without a home game is a definite incentive to stay away for longer.)
One point not really mentioned so far is that France is such a vast and diverse country, and so you can't generalise on many points.
The guy I sit with on the Turf has a property near the South coast. He needs air-con turned high throughout much of the year, but it gets really cold in the winter.
We are more in the North West, and winters are very mild, (rarely dropping anywhere close to freezing due to the warm Atlantic breezes), but then we get a lot more rain in the summer months - although they can still be v hot.
Culturally though the regions are much different, and you will find far more English speakers in some areas than others, and of course in certain areas - such as the Dordogne, you'll find a lot of British.
Contrary to what is often rumoured, we find virtually all French people to be very helpful and co-operative, and if you just try a little bit of French speaking then they respond really well.
As said in a couple of posts, most things that involve bureaucracy are a nightmare, (e.g. i recently wanted to cancel my mobile phone contract. To do this I had to send a letter by recorded delivery to the Head office of SFR, and wait a week for confirmation!), and transactions at the bank and at public offices are rarely straightforward.
That being said I pay virtually everything by direct debit now, and pay most other bills online, so it's the same as being at home.
Pace of life is much more relaxed everywhere, and food and drink are - unquestionably - excellent.
Distances between major towns / regions are huge, but infrastructure and roads are much superior to ours, and pot-holes are a rarity even on rural lanes.
Buying cheap and renovating is probably the best way, but it does mean that - depending on the size of project - you spend a lot of time working on it for the first couple of years, (and for some people a decade or more!).
Without stating the obvious, the more time you are able to stay out there the more opportunity you will have to balance work (renovations) and leisure.
It's a very easy decision to make if you are retired and have the funds, but if you are thinking of going to live out there permanently as a worker, then you will need to do a lot of careful research - especially if your linguistic skills are limited.
Good luck!
Excellent post however, regarding the two points I've underlined:

Their inter-city infrastructure is excellent, however their smaller roads and train lines are arguable worse than in the UK. More of their funding is directed at linking cities.

So if you want to travel, for example, from Nice to Paris or Montpellier to Lyon then that's fine - the auto routes (motorways) are great (though you pay a toll fee) and the TGV trains are superior to our little trains restricted by our pre-Victorian gauge.

However, if you want to travel from a small town to a little village then good luck to you (however you choose to travel) because you'll need it.

There's also still the omnipresent scourge of Socialism over here. It's much more prevalent than in the UK sadly with resultant more likelihood of your train/bus/plane etc being cancelled and leaving you stranded.

halfmanhalfbiscuit
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 352 times

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Rowls - you live in France?
I really didn't know that.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Language is the key. I don’t think anyone truly understands how difficult it will be until you’re up to your neck in it.
I don’t think many people have the expressed desire to not bother learning, I just think after a while they find it too difficult, so just give up.
Someone I met who was 50 and could speak virtually no French. He’d been here 25 years?

So steer well clear of the ex pat crowds.
Fish and chip nights, quiz night, English curry night… It’s a load of absolute rubbish. Usually filled with people who know nothing about anything that’s going on.
It’s very tempting to jump in at the beginning. As the familiar language is a comfort. But it’s a mistake.
If you’re retired I appreciate that it’s a bit different, but you still really need to get in with the locals.
French people are fiercely proud of their language, so an effort to speak it goes a long way.
I worked with someone for 3 years. And all this time we spoke French.
Then suddenly one day he just started speaking English. And very good English, almost perfect.
His point was that he was happy with my efforts and progress.

I’m told by French people that I’m fluent, or even bilingual.
But in truth any communication I have is always more difficult in French than English.
The progress with the language isn’t instant. It’s a very long and drawn out process. Like turning pages on a very difficult book that you’re not particularly enjoying reading.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:Rowls - you live in France?
I really didn't know that.
Ay, Montpellier.
This user liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:14 pm

I may consider moving abroad when brexit hits home, i think there could be a mass exodus from these shores in the near future, my sister has just sold up and gone living in cyprus, i wouldnt go so far myself but France does sound appealing

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm

This thread has me looking at property in France now. I didn't realise rural property was so cheap there. Have seen some incredible houses online for a fraction of the price of places here in Barcelona (which is pretty expensive compared to most places anyway).

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm

SammyBoy wrote:Not France as such but I've always thought the idea of moving to somewhere in Europe sounds appealing, even if only temporarily just to experience it for a few years. The main problem I can foresee is that I can only speak English (and some very rudimentary German), whilst this isn't usually an issue on holiday I could imagine it being a hindrance when it comes to finding decent paying employment. I'd be interested to know how anybody who has actually moved has fared in this regard.
You're right that not speaking the local lingo can be a problem. Not just with finding work but also when going to the post office, dealing with the gas company etc. Definitely worth learning something before going. I could barely count to 10 when I first arrived in Spain and that obviously caused some problems (not in terms of work thankfully as I was teaching English for a few years). I've just learned the language over time - no classes in my case as I don't really enjoy learning like that. Mostly learning through watching TV, listening to music and chatting with people.

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Rowls wrote:Ay, Montpellier.
Montpellier is reyt.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Certainly is that.

Where are you?

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Near Rennes.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Nice chap. But I thought he died recently though?

;)

Give us a shout on here if you're ever in Montpellier :)

halfmanhalfbiscuit

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:24 pm

:) I did have a person ask me recently if I knew of a bar that was like one in Allo Allo?

I’m a stonemason by trade. So most of my work is outside.
After years of Northern weather I considered down that way. So we went to Perpignan for a look about one summer.
The two hour dinner break is bad enough, but the summer four hour break was just a bridge too far for me. Much too hot for my type of work.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:Near Rennes.
I'm rather nearer to Quimper - but same region.
No problem with rural roads round our way, and no tolls on motorways either!!

Wilsdenclaret
Been Liked: 105 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by Wilsdenclaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:24 pm

it's looking more tempting by the week

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Brittany is absolutely fantastic
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I'm rather nearer to Quimper - but same region.
Quimper

Quim

hurr hurr hurr

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice cider round those parts though.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm

No.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:49 pm

IndigoLake wrote:You're right that not speaking the local lingo can be a problem. Not just with finding work but also when going to the post office, dealing with the gas company etc. Definitely worth learning something before going. I could barely count to 10 when I first arrived in Spain and that obviously caused some problems (not in terms of work thankfully as I was teaching English for a few years). I've just learned the language over time - no classes in my case as I don't really enjoy learning like that. Mostly learning through watching TV, listening to music and chatting with people.
My gf is from Lisbon and she's tried teaching me some Portuguese, which isn't going particularly well. I really struggle to physically make the (for lack of a better word) lisping sound when pronouncing some of the words.

Jimscho
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Jimscho » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I'm rather nearer to Quimper - but same region.
My mate has two houses near Quimper.One at Coray and one at Elliant.The one at Coray is now up for sale.It is a Five bed house and he has had a granny flat with two beds built on the side,heated pool.about 3/4 of an acre of land.Selling for about 250,000 euros.If it was in England it would cost a fortune.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 pm

We live a 2 hour walk from the ferry and 30 mins from the beach but generally on reaching France turn left as its the quickest way out.
I'd be much more at home in Belgium. Very underrated place, and you tend to lose the other brits once you get to the turn off for Paris.
The younger shorts has an interview in Frankfurt next week, so hes been trying to improve with the language. It seems a lot easier if you are young, but also a lot easier if you want to learn it rather than being force fed it at school. -

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm

I've tried to learn 2 new languages in my life, French and Danish, and, to me, French is far more easier. The greatest difficulty is conjugating the verbs. They're endless.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Rowls wrote:Quimper

Quim

hurr hurr hurr

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's more of a "camp" place tbh, but glad it amused you.
By the way, (ref. your previous reply to me), I wouldn't worry too much about the Socialists, it's the Communists and Fascists that should concern you more. :D.
I have a friend whose French residence is about an hour from Montpellier, so we may seek out your bar at some point.
This user liked this post: Rowls

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Brittany is absolutely fantastic
If you ever want any info or assistance about properties / rentals in Brittany then don't hesitate to message me. (I'm not in the business by the way, so wouldn't be trying to sell you anything!)