ARTICLE: Goalkeeper Stone leads the way with new deals

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Goalkeeper Stone leads the way with new deals

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am

Stone signs new contract - three others offered deals - one more gets scholarship extension and 15 players leaving u23/u18 teams.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/goalkeeper- ... -new-deals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BFC123
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Re: ARTICLE: Goalkeeper Stone leads the way with new deals

Post by BFC123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

Seems strange that Limb is leaving. Only joined around 12 months ago, and it seemed like he was highly rated. Isn't he still only 18? Scored a lot of goals in non-league football before he joined us.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:58 am

Just seen your report on players leaving and players staying tony I have nothing against Alden stone good luck to the lad but if he is a better goalkeeper than Connor king who you have said as been let go I'm the next Burnley manager very strange decision good luck to all the new young professionals

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:14 pm

BFC123 wrote:Seems strange that Limb is leaving. Only joined around 12 months ago, and it seemed like he was highly rated. Isn't he still only 18? Scored a lot of goals in non-league football before he joined us.
He came in at a similar time to Harry Flowers who went in January and we've had three young players in this season with the youth team who have all now been released. I didn't see too much of Limb to be honest but I think when he went out on loan it suggested he might not be kept on. His departure isn't a surprise to me.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Longsidelenny wrote:Just seen your report on players leaving and players staying tony I have nothing against Alden stone good luck to the lad but if he is a better goalkeeper than Connor king who you have said as been let go I'm the next Burnley manager very strange decision good luck to all the new young professionals
Seen more of Stone than King to be honest in the last season and he's done well when I've seen him. I'll certainly bow to the better knowledge of people like Billy Mercer & Craig Mawson when it comes to goalkeepers.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 pm

No word on Massanka?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm

PWBFC wrote:No word on Massanka?
I think he has another year remaining on his contract - but still waiting for news on Chakwana & Ginnelly (U23s) and Bruce & Wusiewicz (U18s).

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

I see Dan Agyei has only managed 6 games for Blackpool, so looks as if he's another that won't be making it unfortunately, unless he has been injured?

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Agyei's played 27 games this season

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Goobs wrote:I see Dan Agyei has only managed 6 games for Blackpool, so looks as if he's another that won't be making it unfortunately, unless he has been injured?
Don't know when his contract expires but he's only managed eight league starts this season in League One which suggests he's one likely to be let go when his contract does expire.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Goobs wrote:I see Dan Agyei has only managed 6 games for Blackpool, so looks as if he's another that won't be making it unfortunately, unless he has been injured?
He could do a lot worse than trying to get involved with Accy next year. Stay local, be part of the story, stay in the public eye, and try and make a name for himself.
John Coleman seems good at polishing up rough diamonds.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm

MACCA wrote:He could do a lot worse than trying to get involved with Accy next year. Stay local, be part of the story, stay in the public eye, and try and make a name for himself.
John Coleman seems good at polishing up rough diamonds.
Strange one, we've had players go to Accrington and not get a game but we've also had Long & Dunne go there and be regulars. That's been the problem with some of our players, going out on loan and not playing. That's no good for the players or us.

OssyClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by OssyClaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Strange one, we've had players go to Accrington and not get a game but we've also had Long & Dunne go there and be regulars. That's been the problem with some of our players, going out on loan and not playing. That's no good for the players or us.
I presume our reputation now as an established Prem club is helping us get these lads out on loan to a (sometimes) decent level but they're clearly not proving good enough to force their way into sides. Dunne excluding, who is getting rave reviews again at Accy. Hopefully this will improve as the changes to our set-up bare fruit in the next few years.

I'd like us to be cherry picking and paying good money for the best young talent in league 1 and 2 with a view to getting them on loan to a championship club for a season before them hopefully coming into our thinking. Watford look to be spending 1.5m on an 18 year old defender from Stevenage who has only played 10 times in league 2. Nothing is guaranteed with young players as we well know with some of our recent first teamers who have had very different journeys.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm

OssyClaret wrote:I presume our reputation now as an established Prem club is helping us get these lads out on loan to a (sometimes) decent level but they're clearly not proving good enough to force their way into sides. Dunne excluding, who is getting rave reviews again at Accy. Hopefully this will improve as the changes to our set-up bare fruit in the next few years.

I'd like us to be cherry picking and paying good money for the best young talent in league 1 and 2 with a view to getting them on loan to a championship club for a season before them hopefully coming into our thinking. Watford look to be spending 1.5m on an 18 year old defender from Stevenage who has only played 10 times in league 2. Nothing is guaranteed with young players as we well know with some of our recent first teamers who have had very different journeys.
It's certainly the way to go for clubs like us.
You only need 1 in 10 to become a first team regular for it to have paid off, and even if the other 9 Don't, you could get something back in a way of a fee, so not a whole loss.

Stones was bought for around 5m wasn't it? went for 50m 3 years later.
Keane
Hart
Gray
Vardy
Coleman
Austin
Dele
Robertson
Even Tarky now
to name just a few that have been bought for peanuts and either made it, or been sold for large sums.
I'm aware all are not success stories, but you only need to find or develop 1 that is, and you've more than justified the layout of several.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

15 leaving sounds like a fairly major clear out ? Clearly the club are looking to improve at U18/23 levels

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I think he has another year remaining on his contract - but still waiting for news on Chakwana & Ginnelly (U23s) and Bruce & Wusiewicz (U18s).
Always rated Chakwana when I've seen him play, so hope he stays!

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:16 pm

FCBurnley wrote:15 leaving sounds like a fairly major clear out ? Clearly the club are looking to improve at U18/23 levels
It's about one third of the squad by the looks of things

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:05 pm

FCBurnley wrote:15 leaving sounds like a fairly major clear out ? Clearly the club are looking to improve at U18/23 levels
It's needed if we are to get in line with other clubs at our level, we have been way, way, way below the level required for a long time.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:10 pm

mdd2 wrote:It's about one third of the squad by the looks of things
I dont know how many usually leave but considering not all the squad will be at the end of their contracts, I would say it is a significant number. Sorry for the boys who are moving on but looking forward to new and I assume better quality players coming in.

PWBFC

Post by PWBFC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I think he has another year remaining on his contract - but still waiting for news on Chakwana & Ginnelly (U23s) and Bruce & Wusiewicz (U18s).
Not sure if he’s injured but Ginnelly not played much at Tranmere. Perhaps time for him to move on?

Also, doesn’t look much of a future for Massanka given how he’s performed in his loan spells so maybe we’ll try to move him on like Whitmore.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Buying young players from league 1 and 2..... wasn’t that Agyei, Ginnelly and the other striker we paid decent money for who is out on loan somewhere now?

PWBFC

Post by PWBFC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Buying young players from league 1 and 2..... wasn’t that Agyei, Ginnelly and the other striker we paid decent money for who is out on loan somewhere now?
Just Agyei and Ginnelly wasn’t it?

We bought Chris Long from Everton.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 pm

PWBFC wrote:Just Agyei and Ginnelly wasn’t it?

We bought Chris Long from Everton.
Difference between Long and the other two in that Long had already played Championship football on loan at Brentford. I think Ginnelly might have made a couple of sub appearances for Shrewsbury but he and Agyei were really young kids coming out of youth football.

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by maidenover » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 am

I suppose at least they've been involved with a Premier league set up, but as it's turned out, I think Ginnelly and Agyei's careers have really stumbled through joining us. They would probably have had a better chance of getting games at Shrewsbury and Wimbledon, where they were already a known quantity.
It made it tougher when we went to the Premier League, and being on loan somewhere often doesn't work out because your'e not their player and the manager might play it safe with experienced players rather than use kids.
Its a bit like good premier league players like Drinkwater going to a top six club then can't get a game - eventually his career will stumble.
Bottom line is though if they can't get in Tranmere's or even Blackpool's team, why the heck are we keeping them?

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 am

Just waiting for ablue to start saying that Agyei should be in our first team again...

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6744 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 am

Longsidelenny wrote:Just seen your report on players leaving and players staying tony I have nothing against Alden stone good luck to the lad but if he is a better goalkeeper than Connor king who you have said as been let go I'm the next Burnley manager very strange decision good luck to all the new young professionals
Wasn't Connor King involved with the England set up?
We do have plenty of keepers, though.
I wonder if some of the released players have chosen to go, perhaps seeing their futures better elsewhere?

not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by not waving » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 am

I saw the U23 game at Colchester a few days ago. I appreciate the fact that several players are out on loan and that the same eleven rarely play together more then twice.

Conor Mitchell in goal didn't have a lot to do, despite being beaten twice. He commands his area well and is an organiser.
Ali Koiki grew into the game at the back after a dismal first half where we really looked out of it.
Oliver Younger was the pick of the defence...another Ben Mee.
Aiden O'Neill clearly has something in midfield, should have scored and puts himself about. Got a bit niggled when he was targeted once or twice.
Tunde Bayode came on at half time and for 15 minutes terrorised the Colchester defence on the right side. Very impressed with him.

As for the rest, Mahanka, McNeil and Goodridge were disappointing. Clarke got caught a few times facing a good winger.

In general, and after only one viewing, I found the overall standard disappointing. The conditions weren't great (played at the training ground on what looked like a school pitch), but there was little shape to it. I've seen better youth football. So it's no surprise to see some go.

No-one on the pitch on Monday looked to be troubling the first team squad some time soon I'm afraid.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 am

not waving wrote:I saw the U23 game at Colchester a few days ago. I appreciate the fact that several players are out on loan and that the same eleven rarely play together more then twice.

Conor Mitchell in goal didn't have a lot to do, despite being beaten twice. He commands his area well and is an organiser.
Ali Koiki grew into the game at the back after a dismal first half where we really looked out of it.
Oliver Younger was the pick of the defence...another Ben Mee.
Aiden O'Neill clearly has something in midfield, should have scored and puts himself about. Got a bit niggled when he was targeted once or twice.
Tunde Bayode came on at half time and for 15 minutes terrorised the Colchester defence on the right side. Very impressed with him.

As for the rest, Mahanka, McNeil and Goodridge were disappointing. Clarke got caught a few times facing a good winger.

In general, and after only one viewing, I found the overall standard disappointing. The conditions weren't great (played at the training ground on what looked like a school pitch), but there was little shape to it. I've seen better youth football. So it's no surprise to see some go.

No-one on the pitch on Monday looked to be troubling the first team squad some time soon I'm afraid.
Two of the players you list in the disappointing group - McNeil & Clarke - are still eligible youth team players while Goodridge is a trialist. Massanka really seems to have lost his way, looked a much better player two years ago. Loans away have done him no favours at all.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:13 am

maidenover wrote: Its a bit like good premier league players like Drinkwater going to a top six club then can't get a game - eventually his career will stumble.
What a bad example.

Drinkwater started at Man United, then went down the leagues on loan to get game time (Huddersfield, Cardiff, Watford & Barnsley), before playing 200 games and winning the Championship and Premier League with Leicester.

Just undermined your whole point.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Youth turnover whilst disappointing for the fans is something that is needed to keep the standards and challenge high for the remaining players and for the club to have the opportunity to find that odd gem in a million.

It’s good to see that we as a club take our players progression when they leave our club seriously. Getting them trials or deals at lower league clubs should be part of our football planning.

Good luck to those who got deals and even more luck to those who are searching for their next challenge.