Burnley v Leicester - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8741 times

Re: Burnley v Leicester - Player Ratings

Post by IanMcL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Pope 9
Lowton 9
Tarkowski 8
Long 8
Ward 8
Lennon 6
Westwood 8
Cork 8
JBG 8
Barnes 8
Wood 8
Credit to Hendrick and Vokes, who both did their bit.
Thought Lennon was off for periods and then Leicester decided to continually exploit that area.

Great win from our heroes. Lowton fantastic and Pope superb.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 pm

bartons baggage wrote:I watched the game and don't need any information off a tintanet stat site.
After we scored our 2nd goal,Harry Maguire pushed forward at every opportunity, he was enabled to do this because our forwards failed to close him down.
This is why we was over run in midfield during the second half. Our forwards stopped pressing, leaving our midfield and full backs exposed.
You've got a theory there which assumes our forwards stopped working as hard after our second goal and places that as the main reason Leicester controlled the game. I'd say the reason why Leicester controlled possession and so the game was a combination of factors, but a major one was that they pressed us more in midfield and (perhaps because there was a bit of tension) we didn't deal with it well. So we coughed up possession with poor balls forwards that didn't give our attackers a chance and which were easily dealt with by the Leicester back 4, giving them the platform to step forwards and build more attacks.

We were both there so perfectly entitled to different theories, but to completely disregard the stats is daft.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:56 pm

Pope 9 (MOM)
Lowton 8
Tarks 8
Long 8
Ward 7
Cork 7
Westwood 8
JBG 8
Lennon 6 (did his defensive shift well, but a bit pants going forward)
Barnes 6 (not a great day for our Ash)
Wood 6 (did well for his goal and not much else)

Subs N/A

As others have said, we were excellent for 15 minutes, then faded away and in the second half it really was one way traffic towards our goal. Scores reflect that defensively we played really well and actually battled hard in midfield despite chasing shadows (mostly in the shape of Mahrez) for much of the time, but Barnes and Wood were well shackled and despite JBG providing some spark, Lennon was poor. Leicester were impressive and I felt we struggled to cope with their slick midfield. Anyway, it's goals that count thankfully and in Pope we must have the best keeper in the country currently and he HAS to be better than that clown Hart!! UTC!

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Pope 9*
Lowton 8
Long 6
Tark 6
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Cork 6
Westwood 6
JBG 8
Barnes 6
Wood 6

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Hard to pick the MOM today, between Pope, Lowton and Westwood for me

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 pm

RVclaret wrote:Pope 9*
Lowton 8
Long 6
Tark 6
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Cork 6
Westwood 6
JBG 8
Barnes 6
Wood 6
:lol: :lol: after all it was only Leicester we were playing who are currently 8th in arguably the best league in the world :roll:

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:05 am

Blackrod wrote::lol: :lol: after all it was only Leicester we were playing who are currently 8th in arguably the best league in the world :roll:
What’s your point? We are 7th.

First twenty minutes aside I felt we were well off it. Personally don’t understand all the really high marks but each to their own!

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:08 am

claretspice wrote:You've got a theory there which assumes our forwards stopped working as hard after our second goal and places that as the main reason Leicester controlled the game. I'd say the reason why Leicester controlled possession and so the game was a combination of factors, but a major one was that they pressed us more in midfield and (perhaps because there was a bit of tension) we didn't deal with it well. So we coughed up possession with poor balls forwards that didn't give our attackers a chance and which were easily dealt with by the Leicester back 4, giving them the platform to step forwards and build more attacks.

We were both there so perfectly entitled to different theories, but to completely disregard the stats is daft.
I don't disregard stats,but i don't need stats to back up my opinion. Westwood was ratting all afternoon,and a two man midfield against a quick, passing
very organised counter attacking side,would never have it all their own way.
Our forwards dropped off and invited pressure,thus making Maguire an extra midfielder/forward for large parts of the game.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 am

Pope 8 - the `find` of the Century!!!! We have a bloody good `un. I did notice though his kicking was especially poor.

Lowton 7 - allowed a little too much on his side but still as above, a bloody good `un.
Long 8 MOM - he`s looking more and more like better than just a stand-in. A good `un.
Tarkowski 7 - not at his imperious best for me, but still good enough!
Ward 7 - a good `un and never gets ruffled.

Lennon 7 - in and out for me but always put in a shift. I had doubts but he`s looking a good `un.
Cork 7 - quietly went about his business but thought the midfield allowed Leicester to `take over` for long periods.
Westwood 7 - as Cork
Gudmundsson 7 - a BLOODY good `un! Always an outlet and epitomises the team/work ethos.

Barnes 7 - not at his brilliant best but excellent for the first goal and had a real ding dong with the Leicester back four. A bloody good `un.
Wood 7 - a great opening where he looked lively but faded for me and was rightly replaced.

Incredible stuff. Within touching distance of European qualification. Who would ever have thought that!!!??? I thought Dyche should have changed things around a lot sooner that he did (we were getting swamped from the 55th minute onwards) but alls well that ends well. WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!!
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 am

Pope 9 MOM
Lowton 7
Long 8
Tarks 7
Ward 7
JBG 8
Cork 7
Westwood 8
Lennon 6
Wood 7
Barnes 7 Great assist for first goal

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 am

claretspice wrote:God, that was hard work for all of us. Player ratings reflect that we weren't at our best for long periods, but we showed our character, rode our luck and got through.

Pope - 8 - Made a couple of great saves, particularly one in the first half, although the tension showed in his kicking second half which contributed to the problems we had in retaining possession.

Lowton - 8 - Best player on the park. Stood up to a real threat down that side from from Chilwell, and was an effective outlet going forwards too.

Ward - 7 - Solid and reliable against Mahrez, even if Mahrez did take advantage of a couple of moments when Ward switch off a touch.

Tarkowski - 7 - A bit casual a couple of times, but generally pretty good and came into his own as we developed a siege mentality in the second half.

Long - 8 - Caught out a couple of times when his speed of thought didn't match that of his opponents, but generally stood up really well to a tough test and it was a towering header for the goal.

Westwood - 5 - Bit surprised by the high marks so far for him; thought he was decent in the first half but struggled in the second period when Leicester overwhelmed us in there, and his pass completion rate was well below the standards he's set for himself.

Cork - 7 - Also struggled a touch at times in the second half, but got through heaps of work and his passing was more composed and accomplished than Westwood's.

Lennon - 6 - Showed his quality on occasions when he got the chance to isolate his full back, and picked a couple of lovely passes (notably when he, JBG and Lowton combined in a glorious move just after we'd gone 2 up), but inevitably his influence waned as the game went on and we got pushed back. Continued to get through a ton of work defensively, though.

JBG - 7 - Much as Lennon. although perhaps a bit more involved in the second half.

Barnes - 6 - Great ball to Wood for the opening game, and kept battling away, but he was in and out of the game.

Wood - 7 - Took his goal with the composure we've come to expect, and his massive role in making the second by chasing a lost cause can't be overlooked. But his departure was well overdue by the time he came off because we'd lost control of the midfield and we could find the channel balls that he thrives on and he's not the best at feeding on scraps, taking the ball in and holding it.

Hendrick - 6 - Should have been on 10 minutes earlier than he was because we needed to get a grip on midfield, and by the time he did come on the momentum of the game was set. But he did help bung up the midfield and once he was on, Leicester stopped breaking through the centre of the pitch with the same ease, even if he did make a mess of one promising position on the counter attack.

The first 10 minutes were sensational, the next 15 very good and hugely enjoyable...and the last hour something increasingly like a torture as we first got a bit complacent, then sat back a bit, and then ultimately lost control of the flow of the game. In the end, we were a bit lucky. But no-one will remember any of that if, as now seems likely, we qualify for Europe as a consequence of that result - we'll just remember one of the most prestigious days in our modern history. Leicester probably feel like they deserved at least a point - but just like last week, one of the reasons we are 7th and Leicester aren't is that we have that tough mentality and strong jaw to roll with the punches when we have to.

These are wonderful, wonderful times, and everything is rolling our way at the minute. I'm exhausted, and I feel like a played 90 minutes, but it is impossible not to be absolutely elated.
Always enjoy reading your game reviews and ratings - you very rarely give an analysis that`s wide of the mark.

Claret&Green
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret&Green » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:05 am

claretspice wrote:God, that was hard work for all of us. Player ratings reflect that we weren't at our best for long periods, but we showed our character, rode our luck and got through.

Pope - 8 - Made a couple of great saves, particularly one in the first half, although the tension showed in his kicking second half which contributed to the problems we had in retaining possession.

Lowton - 8 - Best player on the park. Stood up to a real threat down that side from from Chilwell, and was an effective outlet going forwards too.

Ward - 7 - Solid and reliable against Mahrez, even if Mahrez did take advantage of a couple of moments when Ward switch off a touch.

Tarkowski - 7 - A bit casual a couple of times, but generally pretty good and came into his own as we developed a siege mentality in the second half.

Long - 8 - Caught out a couple of times when his speed of thought didn't match that of his opponents, but generally stood up really well to a tough test and it was a towering header for the goal.

Westwood - 5 - Bit surprised by the high marks so far for him; thought he was decent in the first half but struggled in the second period when Leicester overwhelmed us in there, and his pass completion rate was well below the standards he's set for himself.

Cork - 7 - Also struggled a touch at times in the second half, but got through heaps of work and his passing was more composed and accomplished than Westwood's.

Lennon - 6 - Showed his quality on occasions when he got the chance to isolate his full back, and picked a couple of lovely passes (notably when he, JBG and Lowton combined in a glorious move just after we'd gone 2 up), but inevitably his influence waned as the game went on and we got pushed back. Continued to get through a ton of work defensively, though.

JBG - 7 - Much as Lennon. although perhaps a bit more involved in the second half.

Barnes - 6 - Great ball to Wood for the opening game, and kept battling away, but he was in and out of the game.

Wood - 7 - Took his goal with the composure we've come to expect, and his massive role in making the second by chasing a lost cause can't be overlooked. But his departure was well overdue by the time he came off because we'd lost control of the midfield and we could find the channel balls that he thrives on and he's not the best at feeding on scraps, taking the ball in and holding it.

Hendrick - 6 - Should have been on 10 minutes earlier than he was because we needed to get a grip on midfield, and by the time he did come on the momentum of the game was set. But he did help bung up the midfield and once he was on, Leicester stopped breaking through the centre of the pitch with the same ease, even if he did make a mess of one promising position on the counter attack.

The first 10 minutes were sensational, the next 15 very good and hugely enjoyable...and the last hour something increasingly like a torture as we first got a bit complacent, then sat back a bit, and then ultimately lost control of the flow of the game. In the end, we were a bit lucky. But no-one will remember any of that if, as now seems likely, we qualify for Europe as a consequence of that result - we'll just remember one of the most prestigious days in our modern history. Leicester probably feel like they deserved at least a point - but just like last week, one of the reasons we are 7th and Leicester aren't is that we have that tough mentality and strong jaw to roll with the punches when we have to.

These are wonderful, wonderful times, and everything is rolling our way at the minute. I'm exhausted, and I feel like a played 90 minutes, but it is impossible not to be absolutely elated.
That's a proper Burnley fan.......... always look at the negatives :lol: :lol: (or as 'er indoors says not wearing Claret tinted glasses)

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:48 am

Pope 9*
Lowton 9
Tarkowski 7
Long 8
Ward 8
Lennon 7
Westwood 7
Cork 8
JBG 7
Barnes 7
Wood 7

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Pope 9
Lowton 9
Tarkowski 7
Long 7
Ward 7
Lennon 6
Westwood 7
Cork 7
JBG 7
Barnes 7
Wood 7

If that performance by Pope doesn't book him a seat on the plane to Russia, then I have no respect for Southgate. Pope is head and shoulders above any other England keeper on Form.

PLTMGMBJ
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by PLTMGMBJ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 am

Agree with Spice. Needed Hendrick on about 55/60 minutes. Overran in midfield. Sat far too deep for far too long and needed that extra man in there at 2-0. Going 2-0 up so early always worried me as we seem to invite teams on when taking the lead. That was far more uncomfortable than it needed to have been. Wood marked up 1 for the goal but overall we put too much pressure on ourselves against a decent but unspectacular outfit. We've played better teams with better players and performed better. The fact that Leciester had so much possesssion says it all, as they're usually a team who surrenders it and hits on the break.

Pope 8
Lowton 7
Tarkowski 7
Long 7
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Westwood 7
Cork 7
JBG 6
Barnes 6
Wood 7

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 am

Some reviews and marks are in my opinion a tad high and perhaps completed with Claret tainted glasses on.
It was a strange game because we started so fast and absolutely battered Lychester. Then all of a sudden after just 9 minutes we found ourselves 2 up and the players were a touch lost. "What do we do next?" "We're two up. What is the game plan?" Cue panic and TBH we did panic at times and just couldn't clear the ball. I can't quite put my finger on whether we took our foot off the gas or Lychester just upped their game. Certainly Gray was their main man and the ball seemed to find him every time and TBH 2-1 at HT would have been fair. Anyway we clung on by our finger nails and what a great win :D

Pope 9 Class and growing better by the game.
Lowton 8 Never lost his shape. A seriously tough competitor.
Tarkowski 8 Let Ineacho rattle him 2nd half.
Long 9 (+1 for goal) A good run in the side will let us see if he really can be a Prem central defender. Growing in confidence.
Ward 8 Solid. Never got forward but when you are trying to contain Mahrez it's no surprise.
Lennon 7 Loses a mark for the booking. Worked hard but came in too narrow which played into their hands.
Westwood 7 Lost the midfield battle after 10th minute IMHO.
Cork 7 See Westwood.
JBG 8 Decent game and battled hard.
Barnes 7 Loses mark for yellow card but had a tough afternoon against their centre backs. Classy ball for Wood's goal.
Wood 8 Took his goal well. Very composed but certainly was put off his game by a very rugged defence.

Overall I would have taken a point at the outset so a win is a bonus. We rode our luck at times but for sheer grit, determination and effort we cannot be faulted. Long may it last.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 am

Pope. 9. If there is a better English keeper, I am Remco van de Schaaf

Lowton. 8. Standard Lowton , a fine all round game.

Tarkowski. 7. One or two lapses, but would rather have him than Maguire.

Long 8. As others have said, more than just a capable stand in. Great header for his goal too

Ward. 7. Good shift from him. We saw less of him as an attacking threat but that was perfectly understandable given Leicester's pace on the break

Lennon 6. Not his best game, but he stuck to his defensive duties. Would have been a 7 if his cross had evaded Morgan and found Wood, as that would have been game over

Westwood 7. Seems to have divided opinion. I thought he did well overall. He stuck at it and was generally tidier on the ball than Cork

Cork. 7. Gets a 7 because he started so well. After about 20 mins I though Leicester gave him less time and he struggled a bit

JBG. 8. Great to have him back. After the first 15 minutes he looked our main threat

Barnes. 7. One inspired moment and a lot of toil

Wood 7. Kept his cool to tuck the rebound away. Looked a handful in the first 15 minutes thereafter he did not get much service

Hendrick and Vokes both helped steady the ship

A bit like the Palace game. We started superbly, caused them no end of trouble, thIs time grabbed two goals and with a bit of luck would have had a third. After that Leicester gradually got a hold without looking too dangerous. The Mahrez header and free kick were close but I thought we were reasonably comfortable in the first half although we gave Choudhury far too much time on the ball. In the second half the introduction of Iheanacho gave Leicester a different option, so they were not just reliant on quick breaks and Chilwell. We then did what we do best: defend for our lives. And limited them to few clear cut chances. Yet again we found a way to win a game which three years ago we would have lost. We have proved this season to be the masters of 'fine margins'.

ecc
Been Liked: 1441 times
Has Liked: 1287 times

Post by ecc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Duffer,

"Usual 10/10 for effort, determination and resilience to every player - it seems this is the entrance fee to play in an SD team."

I think you're right. In fact, I'm pretty certain. There's no place for passengers under SD. I get the impression that when he signs someone ability scrapes it at 51% with character weighing in at 49%. And the results show this philosophy works.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Pope 8 - plenty of good saves and his handling was again excellent. So many times this season we have been under pressure in the last 10 mins and Pope pulls cross after cross out of the sky - it’s massive for us that he does it.
Lowton 8 (MOM) - thought he was excellent.
Tarkowski 7 - good but couple of silly needless flicks.
Long 8 - good game. Big big bonus for is this season
Ward 7 - good...as he always is. What a team player he is.
Lennon 7 - defended well against their excellent left back Chilwell. Extra mark for sublime nutmeg on Chilwell !
Westwood 8 - he’s been excellent last few weeks. Cannot understand anyone who gives him a “5”. Too much checking of statistics and not enough appreciation of the game for me. He was up against a £25m midfielder in Silva and Westwood played far better than him.
Cork 8 - thought he played great and does so much of the dirty work. Great energy.
JBG 7 - when he was on the ball he looked very dangerous. A great shot and some excellent crosses. Just wish he could have seen more of ball.
Barnes 7 - good game. Great ball for first goal.
Wood 7 - good game and he’s getting a very decent goals per game ratio for us

Yes there are some high scores on this thread but let’s not forget who we are playing against. To say we only played well for 10 minutes IMHO is rubbish. We played well for 94 minutes - we were playing against a team who also played well. We are playing and competing at a very high level. They are bringing on subs who cost £25m and have players who won the league and are valued at £50m plus. A bit of perspective would be good - we ain’t gonna beat these teams 5-0.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

Rhxdes
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Rhxdes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Pope 8

Lowton 8
Long 8
Tarkowski 7
Ward 7

Lennon 6
Westwood 7
Cork 8
Gudmundsson 7

Barnes 6
Wood 7

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:30 pm

At least Hendrick was on along enough for some around me to shout abuse at him. They must have had a frustrating 6 weeks with not being able to do this.

When will Hendrick learn when he gets the ball in a tricky situation with nothing on, he needs to drop his shoulder beat 5 or 6 men and then curl it into the top corner. Simples Jeff.

claretsmart
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by claretsmart » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Pope - 9
Lowton - 8
Long - 7
Tarkowski - 7
Ward -7
Lennon - 6
Cork - 6
Westwood - 6
Gudmundsson - 7
Wood - 6
Barnes - 5

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5086 times
Has Liked: 6899 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Pope 9 mom
Lowton 9
Tarkowski 8
Long 8
Ward 8
Lennon 7
Westwood 7
Cork 8
JBG 7
Barnes 8
Wood 7

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 am

Another great victory on Saturday. Having made a fantastic start at 2 nil up after just 10 minutes, I think it was difficult to know whether to push on or defend. We did sit back and Leicester had nothing to lose, therefore it was always going to be a defensive performance. We do this very well, week in week out and it has been the basis of our success this season. Leicester have some very good attacking options and we did well to restrict them to one goal. I just feel that now this team knows how to win, even when they are up against it. So proud to be a Claret.
Note on Leicester - I expect Mahrez to leave at the end of the season and others will follow (Vardy) - I think they could struggle next season.

Pope 9 - Calm and assured - with some quality saves - must go to the world cup
Lowton 8 - very good against quality opposition - the number of times he blocks crosses is fantastic
Tarkowski 7 - dominant under pressure
Long 7 - well done - looks confident in his 'fill in' roll - very good headed goal
Ward 7 - did well under pressure - as usual
Lennon 6 - good work defensively - we are still to see the best from AL - I would like to see him out wide and running at defenders - didn't get the opportunity to do that on Saturday
Westwood 7 - battled very well to compete with the Leicester midfield
Cork 7 - as Westwood
JBG 7 - good to have him back - provided options for releasing pressure
Barnes 7 - Hard going against the two Leicester centre halves - really excellent through ball for Wood.
Wood 7 - Very good finish typical striker's goal - shot right then left- good work for the corner - also hard going at times