STATEMENT: Supporters Groups respond to Arsenal ticket allocation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

STATEMENT: Supporters Groups respond to Arsenal ticket allocation

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Statement from Burnley FC Supporters Groups on the ticket allocation taken for the Arsenal game and the club's subsequent response

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/supporters- ... allocation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 10 users liked this post: Milltown1882 UpTheBeehole Sausage JohnMac simonclaret BleedingClaret Spijed Dom Rick_Muller Juan Tanamera

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Re: STATEMENT: Supporters Groups respond to Arsenal ticket allocation

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Well said

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Strong response, I think most people will agree on every point made.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Seconded

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

That about covers it all.

Although telling us the allocations from next season will be the apology, no need for one now.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Can't argue with any of that.

So, is our allocation 1500 or is that a rough guess?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:24 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Can't argue with any of that.

So, is our allocation 1500 or is that a rough guess?
According to someone who knows someone who works at Arsenal it's 2000. Not sure if BFC have confirmed this.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Would the delay of the kick-off time till 4-30 have affected their decision?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Pstotto wrote:Would the delay of the kick-off time till 4-30 have affected their decision?
Not according to their statement.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Big thanks to the supporters groups for refusing to take BFC's horsesh!t statement at face value.
These 3 users liked this post: BleedingClaret randomclaret2 cav

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 pm

The Everton game they mentioned was also live on TV.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony JohnDearyMe

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm

A very well written and relevant article. Sadly, it's not the first time the club have taken a minimal allocation and left us in a position where demand is greater than supply. Leicester and Palace were the other two. Unfortunately, we appear to have won the Euro Millions rollover jackpot and still run the business like a corner shop.
These 4 users liked this post: IAmAClaret MT03ALG sanderson370 cav

7decades
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by 7decades » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 pm

I pay for 2 Foundation Memberships , from its inception ,that is supposed to "guarantee" tickets for matches. On Monday 16th from 9-00am I phoned to buy tickets.The phone was not answered all morning and eventually answered at just gone lunchtime to be told tickets all sold !!

I feel very let down

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm

7decades wrote:I pay for 2 Foundation Memberships , from its inception ,that is supposed to "guarantee" tickets for matches. On Monday 16th from 9-00am I phoned to buy tickets.The phone was not answered all morning and eventually answered at just gone lunchtime to be told tickets all sold !!

I feel very let down
Similar. I have been a Foundation member for as long as I can remember, certainly around 20 years. It gives a small amount to the club, which back then given I was living in London and not going to home games I felt comfortable with. I have also won a few quid in the draws over the years, which I have usually spent back with the club on merchandise. And the real benefit to me was equal priority with ST holders for tickets. I also went down the route of phoning for tickets Monday morning and also had to call numerous times as the phone wasn't answered and when they did decide to pick up the phone, I also got the message that all tickets had gone.

Given that the club is now awash with cash, my £100 a year or whatever it is, is no longer needed. If I want to win a prize I can buy a lottery ticket and win a dam sight more than the odd tenner. And the real benefit for me of being a member appears to have now been removed, there is no reason I should continue paying into this. So there will be a call to the club shortly and my membership and Direct Debit will be cancelled.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm

What is the problem with the club potentially having to pay for unsold tickets? I don't know what the max allocation away at Arsenal would be but you would guess around 3,000-3,300 fans would have gone. It's not like the club haven't made enough money to pay for potentially 200-300 unsold tickets in potentially our biggest away game, surely you take that risk to appease your own fans. I probably shouldn't comment given I'm a new man on a positive mission but the club response is actually quite shocking and disappointing.
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Good effort and very well worded response.

Would you expect a response from anybody in a senior role at the Club?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:Similar. I have been a Foundation member for as long as I can remember, certainly around 20 years. It gives a small amount to the club, which back then given I was living in London and not going to home games I felt comfortable with. I have also won a few quid in the draws over the years, which I have usually spent back with the club on merchandise. And the real benefit to me was equal priority with ST holders for tickets. I also went down the route of phoning for tickets Monday morning and also had to call numerous times as the phone wasn't answered and when they did decide to pick up the phone, I also got the message that all tickets had gone.

Given that the club is now awash with cash, my £100 a year or whatever it is, is no longer needed. If I want to win a prize I can buy a lottery ticket and win a dam sight more than the odd tenner. And the real benefit for me of being a member appears to have now been removed, there is no reason I should continue paying into this. So there will be a call to the club shortly and my membership and Direct Debit will be cancelled.
What are the supposed benefits of being a foundation member? just ''guaranteed'' tickets for away games?

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Clearly despite the bulging bank account, the club is still able to demonstrate that their mean, penny pinching, parsimoniousness is alive and well at TM and still underpins decision making. Here was a chance to 'reward' fans and anticipate a high demand by taking the full allocation whether they sold out or not.
These 3 users liked this post: Spijed CrosspoolClarets JohnDearyMe

sox8595
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 384 times

Post by sox8595 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm

The foundation bar is a perk as well the problem there is you just can't get in most match days due to crowding. I have not even attempted to get in for years now

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm

KRBFC wrote:What are the supposed benefits of being a foundation member? just ''guaranteed'' tickets for away games?
There's no way they would be able to guarantee tickets to Foundation Members. I would have thought that membership just gives you an opportunity to purchase tickets on a first come first served basis.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Rodleydave wrote: Here was a chance to 'reward' fans and anticipate a high demand by taking the full allocation whether they sold out or not.
That's the thing though, if the maximum allocation was 4,000 we'd have sold that. It doesn't even take a lot of thinking about.

Like someone said on the other thread, the fans are more tuned in to what we should take tickets wise for matches.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Just when you think our club is being managed properly, they go and do summat like this - and sneakily too.

We used to be one step forward, three steps back, but that has changed over the last few years. We now take three steps forward, but we can't seem to shake the backwards step.

Failing to acknowledge their mistake is what worries me. Are we now becoming as arrogant as the other PL clubs? I sincerely hope not. Communicate Burnley!

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:24 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:The Everton game they mentioned was also live on TV.
using the Everton game as an example is daft anyway, besides the TV angle, as Leisure said it seemed people were waiting for the upper tier and this caused confusion, not the clubs fault I will add.
You could argue though that they got that wrong by taking the bigger allocation but this wrong by taking the lower allocation, because it's a much bigger game, it's the last away game in London on a bank holiday and could be a potential play off final for the Europa League.

I actually think, but can't prove, that we'd have Sold 5000 for this just as the last away game at a big club in London on a Bank holiday Weekend.

If it turned our to be a shoot out for the Europa we'd take thousands.

I've said it before at a club whose Football manager has the Mantra "Maximum Effort is The Minimum Requirement.
The Ticketing Supremo has displayed Minimum Effort.
Don't start me on Dare to Dream.
As For One Club One Town ............ Grrrr

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:25 pm

For a club that is so in touch with its fans, this isn't good at all.
I don't know the answer, but do we use an outside agency for dealing with tickets. I know they can be purchased through the shop, but online, they could have one central hub in London, that deals with lots of clubs tickets?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Look forward to the ticketing fiasco for AC Milan, Sparta Prague and Shamrock Rovers next season!
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Thank goodness for all our sakes that the club has finally cocked enough things up that the previous supine posture of the supporters has changed. BFC is run like a business nowadays. We are customers, not fans, and the club has hidden behind the "family club" facade for too long. No-one's having a go at individuals in the ticket office; it's unfortunate that, like many businesses, the senior people at BFC hide behind those employees. It's time we customers realised that the club is not on our side; it is only answerable to itself. The club should be cut no more slack than your utility provider, car insurer or supermarket - they're not your friend.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm

thatdberight wrote:Thank goodness for all our sakes that the club has finally cocked enough things up that the previous supine posture of the supporters has changed. BFC is run like a business nowadays. We are customers, not fans, and the club has hidden behind the "family club" facade for too long. No-one's having a go at individuals in the ticket office; it's unfortunate that, like many businesses, the senior people at BFC hide behind those employees. It's time we customers realised that the club is not on our side; it is only answerable to itself. The club should be cut no more slack than your utility provider, car insurer or supermarket - they're not your friend.
Drivel

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Leisure wrote:There's no way they would be able to guarantee tickets to Foundation Members. I would have thought that membership just gives you an opportunity to purchase tickets on a first come first served basis.
Peter. The Foundation Club is run like a stall on Accy market. The limited number of tickets they get go to the mates of the stall holders who don't answer the phones when the tickets come on sale because it's easier not to.

Allegedly.

Believe me it would be easier camping outside the ticket office for a fortnight than trying for a Foundation ticket.
Last edited by tybfc on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm

The continued reference to last year's following of 1422 is disingenuous, as then they only took the smallest allocation of around 1400/1500 and as it was posted as a sellout then we couldn't have had a higher following. So using the 1422 figure as a justification for not taking the full available allocation this year is pretty poor.
Last edited by Leisure on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: BleedingClaret Corky

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 pm

bobinho wrote:Just when you think our club is being managed properly, they go and do summat like this - and sneakily too.

We used to be one step forward, three steps back, but that has changed over the last few years. We now take three steps forward, but we can't seem to shake the backwards step.

Failing to acknowledge their mistake is what worries me. Are we now becoming as arrogant as the other PL clubs? I sincerely hope not. Communicate Burnley!
I was a Burnley Fan since the first moment I knew what it was and I will be til I die, but my feelings for the club has always been unrequited. Just the way it is.

BleedingClaret

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Look forward to the ticketing fiasco for AC Milan, Sparta Prague and Shamrock Rovers next season!
they'll now take the full 12000 for Lokomotiv away on a Tuesday Night in December just as War Breaks out
These 4 users liked this post: thatdberight Anonymous cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

The problem is the club and ultimately the board of directors seem to be thinking that every away ticket unsold is £30 lost and as a result we should be careful with the clubs money. Yet, we will have made and extra £15-£20 million compared to last season.

Talk about being tight-fisted.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:36 pm

The Leicester away match was the obvious warning for this. A small allocation was taken, it sold out before it even hit season ticket holders and then there was a big swathe of empty seats next us at the ground. It appears nothing was learnt from this.
These 2 users liked this post: ten bellies cav

Mondsley
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Mondsley » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:43 pm

In a response to Leisure on the other thread the club say something like "if we had known 2 weeks ago what we know now the decision would have been different". That is pretty lame and reveals a complete lack of understanding of our supporters. Whilst the club has made massive strides in many areas its handling of ticketing remains in the dark ages. Excellent response by the Supporters groups. I just hope the club keep their word on reviewing this whole shambolic episode.
Last edited by Mondsley on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:45 pm

KRBFC wrote:What are the supposed benefits of being a foundation member? just ''guaranteed'' tickets for away games?
There is not a guarantee of tickets, but supposedly equal priority with ST holders. As has been suggested elsewhere, the chances of getting a ticket through this method if there is any suggestion of supply and demand being similar, are nil. There always has been and still are people who have access to buy as many tickets as they want through contacts at the club. Whilst this continues, the foundation membership isn't worth having.

Initially I joined to benefit the club. We were in the old third tier back then and it wasn't a problem getting hold of tickets, but as I said it was a way of contributing to the club from a distance. There are now no benefits for me of being a member, so I have just emailed the club and told them to cancel my membership and direct debit.

Yanquiclaret
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Yanquiclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Shouldn't be a problem Arsenal fans have stopped going and empty seats abound. Should be Clarets all over the stadium with easily obtained "home" tickets, all of whom would have been in the away end if the club had been less shortsighted. Taking a max allocation, with reduced prices or coaches provided by the club, given transportation issues that weekend, as a thanks for the support all season would have been a much better move by the club. Instead they have created a situation which might lead to crowd trouble.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Yanquiclaret wrote:Shouldn't be a problem Arsenal fans have stopped going and empty seats abound. Should be Clarets all over the stadium with easily obtained "home" tickets, all of whom would have been in the away end if the club had been less shortsighted. Taking a max allocation, with reduced prices or coaches provided by the club, given transportation issues that weekend, as a thanks for the support all season would have been a much better move by the club. Instead they have created a situation which might lead to crowd trouble.
There are unlikely to be tickets available in the home stands as they are sold to tourists and (currently non attending) season ticket holders. As for transportation issues, is anyone aware of any other than short delays for trains going into Euston?

I totally agree with the statement from the Supporters Groups and pleased to be able to post it on UTC.
This user liked this post: Yanquiclaret

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3547 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:There is not a guarantee of tickets, but supposedly equal priority with ST holders. As has been suggested elsewhere, the chances of getting a ticket through this method if there is any suggestion of supply and demand being similar, are nil. There always has been and still are people who have access to buy as many tickets as they want through contacts at the club. Whilst this continues, the foundation membership isn't worth having.
There have been people kicking up an almight fuss about this on Twitter over the last few months with some strong accusations of favouritism and/or other under hand ways of getting batches of tickets.
It was interesting reading it at the time, some very strong words were used.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

This is nothing to do with this particular issue, but if we get a European tour and play at some small venues, then expect the same arguments to pop up about the ticket allocations.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Also don’t get the comparison to the Everton game a Sunday in October at the start of the season to a bank holiday weekend with the potential chance of finishing 6th. Who would have thought it would attract more interest!?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:04 pm

And Herts, its not a good idea to cancel your subscription for the foundation now surely?

I've no idea if you are planning to go to any European games (if they happen of course!) but surely you want to keep your options open till then?

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:This is nothing to do with this particular issue, but if we get a European tour and play at some small venues, then expect the same arguments to pop up about the ticket allocations.
If they continue to make nonsensical decisions.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:This is nothing to do with this particular issue, but if we get a European tour and play at some small venues, then expect the same arguments to pop up about the ticket allocations.
Shouldn't be an issue as long as we take the full or an appropriate allocation.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Pardon me guys, I don't think I was clear enough.

By small venues, i meant venues where the away allocation would be small. Then the arguments about how people get tickets will come back with a vengeance.
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 pm

I actually think its disgusting they are trying to justify this decision. Sometimes in life you have to listen to what is being said and you then hold your hand up.

Always found Bentley an arrogant arse and his list of excuses on this should see him dragged over the coals by his bosses. No doubt he will be to busy calling SD gaffer, you aren't one of players you bell end you are supposedly the main communicator via the media between the club and its supporters. Any media manager doing his job properly would have known or at very least anticipated an higher demand and should have passed that onto the relevant people.
This user liked this post: Dom

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:And Herts, its not a good idea to cancel your subscription for the foundation now surely?

I've no idea if you are planning to go to any European games (if they happen of course!) but surely you want to keep your options open till then?
If it only gives him the same chance as a ST holder then it's down to points and he'll have almost no chance anyway.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm

He's got more chance as he's not an ST holder and is about to give up his foundation membership.

Plus I'm not even sure if getting a ticket through the foundation gets you points to be honest? Does it?

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Why don’t they just stick their hands up and say “we got it wrong, sorry”. That, a review of how these decisions are made and maybe try consulting fans.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Bordeauxclaret

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Pardon me guys, I don't think I was clear enough.

By small venues, i meant venues where the away allocation would be small. Then the arguments about how people get tickets will come back with a vengeance.
I’m sure there will. There won’t be a club in the football leagues who have a policy that’s perfect for everyone.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:they'll now take the full 12000 for Lokomotiv away on a Tuesday Night in December just as War Breaks out
:lol: :lol: :lol: