STATEMENT: Supporters Groups respond to Arsenal ticket allocation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: STATEMENT: Supporters Groups respond to Arsenal ticket allocation

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:23 pm

FWIW the ticket office staff are usually brilliant - especially Elaine.

I suspect its those above that are responsible for the inconsistency and lack of communication. Feel sorry for the ticket office at times. On a hiding to nothing.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32529 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Also don’t get the comparison to the Everton game a Sunday in October at the start of the season to a bank holiday weekend with the potential chance of finishing 6th. Who would have thought it would attract more interest!?
I don’t think anyone does. Sadly the explanations coming out of the club make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm

There are really a number of issues:

1. How many tickets the club chooses to take. Obviously we've had issues with a number of games this season with the club opting to take a smaller allocation (Leicester, Palace and Arsenal spring to mind). The fear of having to pay for unsold tickets seems to be higher than the fear of fans not being able to go.

2. The communication regarding allocations and ticket sales. The club refuse to provide information, no-one really knows why.

3. Buying tickets. Although we use a system that a fair number of clubs use it seems to be implemented particularly cack-handedly. Tickets often sell-out and then re-appear after they've "re-stocked" the system. Tickets are sold out online but available in person and vice-versa. Sales start at 5pm on a matchday, loyalty thresholds aren't applied correctly, etc. Some of this appears to be errors in the system implementation, a fiar bit of it goes back to point 2 and the dire communication.

4. The loyalty system. The system itself seems to work OK but there is the obvious problem that as the points never expire then newer/younger fans never have the chance of catching established fans. A season ticket from 8 years ago is worth the same as a season ticket from 1 year ago. The obvious solution is that loyalty points gradually expire after 5 years or so but obviously for a lot of the fans, probably including those who will likely be discussing this with the club, it's a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

United operate on a ballot basis for away games, don't know if something like that would be more useful as a way of selling tickets. Maybe allocate a period for 5000 loyalty points + then the rest that are unsold could be allocated to a ballot, can't have too many complaints then.

Obviously they have significantly more season ticket holders but it's clear the current system has a lot of flaws.

Claretuk
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Claretuk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

With all the premier league cash coming in we should be taking the full allocation on every away game n start acting like a premier league club, instead of having this corner shop mentality. Who is to blame for these decisions as they need sacking!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Apologies if it's been explained on another thread, but why can't the club ask Arsenal for the remaining away fans tickets? It was mentioned somewhere that Arsenal will sell the tickets to their own fans, I find that hard to believe, as there have been thousands of empty seats at their recent home games in the league. There is still well over two weeks to the match, plenty of time to sell them!

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:57 pm

aggi wrote:There are really a number of issues:

1. How many tickets the club chooses to take. Obviously we've had issues with a number of games this season with the club opting to take a smaller allocation (Leicester, Palace and Arsenal spring to mind). The fear of having to pay for unsold tickets seems to be higher than the fear of fans not being able to go.

2. The communication regarding allocations and ticket sales. The club refuse to provide information, no-one really knows why.

3. Buying tickets. Although we use a system that a fair number of clubs use it seems to be implemented particularly cack-handedly. Tickets often sell-out and then re-appear after they've "re-stocked" the system. Tickets are sold out online but available in person and vice-versa. Sales start at 5pm on a matchday, loyalty thresholds aren't applied correctly, etc. Some of this appears to be errors in the system implementation, a fiar bit of it goes back to point 2 and the dire communication.

4. The loyalty system. The system itself seems to work OK but there is the obvious problem that as the points never expire then newer/younger fans never have the chance of catching established fans. A season ticket from 8 years ago is worth the same as a season ticket from 1 year ago. The obvious solution is that loyalty points gradually expire after 5 years or so but obviously for a lot of the fans, probably including those who will likely be discussing this with the club, it's a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.
Excellent post; even a bit generous in point 3 where (for example) Stoke sales were announced ten minutes before they supposedly started and then didn't start at that time at all.

Most importantly though, point 4. There will be massive resistance to change from some who have currently got the right (just about) to go to any match they want. They are, as you say, likely to be those who have the club's ear. Despite being in that category myself, I suggested radical change when I applied to be on the ticketing panel. In the interests of other fans, and particularly newer, younger fans, I am happy to be disappointed on occasion as long as there is transparency, fairness and no back door for anyone else (by dint of their contacts or being in a supporters' club or whatever). I wasn't successful in that application although since it doesn't seem to have ever met and/or discussed/achieved/published anything, that was probably a blessing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm

aggi wrote:4. The loyalty system. The system itself seems to work OK but there is the obvious problem that as the points never expire then newer/younger fans never have the chance of catching established fans. A season ticket from 8 years ago is worth the same as a season ticket from 1 year ago. The obvious solution is that loyalty points gradually expire after 5 years or so but obviously for a lot of the fans, probably including those who will likely be discussing this with the club, it's a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.
I would probably agree with you that those discussing this with the club would in effect be turkeys voting for Christmas but it is actually something we have proposed on a number of occasions with the club to potentially expire points after a number of years.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3803 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Leisure wrote:There's no way they would be able to guarantee tickets to Foundation Members. I would have thought that membership just gives you an opportunity to purchase tickets on a first come first served basis.
£100 a year for the same priority on tickets as season ticket holders? Surely people are better off putting the £100 towards a ST? unless i'm missing something else.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Don’t forget the weekly foundation lottery!

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I have just spoken to Arsenal ticket office regarding more tickets for Burnley fans. The lady (Laura) said they could not disclose any information and that I should liaise with Burnley ticket office regarding more tickets. I told her that I had already spoken with them and had been told no more tickets would be available, as Arsenal had refused them. She then asked me to stay on hold while she spoke with someone else. When she came back on the phone she said that there should be a further statement put out by Burnley FC later this afternoon. Could be good news for those hoping for tickets?
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:And Herts, its not a good idea to cancel your subscription for the foundation now surely?

I've no idea if you are planning to go to any European games (if they happen of course!) but surely you want to keep your options open till then?
You mean I will be able to phone up the Foundation Number for a period of 3 hours during a working day, only to be told that instead of all the Arsenal tickets have sold out, I am now unable to purchase a ticket to see Burnley play Macabi Tel Aviv.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:15 pm

thatdberight wrote:Thank goodness for all our sakes that the club has finally cocked enough things up that the previous supine posture of the supporters has changed. BFC is run like a business nowadays. We are customers, not fans, and the club has hidden behind the "family club" facade for too long. No-one's having a go at individuals in the ticket office; it's unfortunate that, like many businesses, the senior people at BFC hide behind those employees. It's time we customers realised that the club is not on our side; it is only answerable to itself. The club should be cut no more slack than your utility provider, car insurer or supermarket - they're not your friend.
Absolutely we're ran like a business but is that not part of our success? Why would they risk change when the business is thriving like never before. Stability is key, we simply have to be ran like a business, we can't afford huge losses year on year. I do think certain things have been handled poorly, this is an example and the Clarets Player issues many experienced is another.

I just think it all comes down to communication, if I'm correct CT and others used to regularly meet with the board? There should be 5 or so fans (preferably from supporters groups) who meet every month with some of the board members and employees to discuss certain things which can then be relayed on sites like this or the local papers.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Don’t forget the weekly foundation lottery!
What are the prizes? enough to justify the £25 a week ticket?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 pm

KRBFC wrote:£100 a year for the same priority on tickets as season ticket holders? Surely people are better off putting the £100 towards a ST? unless i'm missing something else.
I suspect you are.
Just think about where he lives.
Maybe he can't get to many home games?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I suspect you are.
I wasn't talking about the guy further up, generalising mainly aimed at the local based fans.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I suspect you are.
I usually work Saturday mornings so options to attend home games are more or less non existent. I also coach an U12 football team on a Sunday so that is also very difficult. for this reason I attend away games that are within reach of my home. Arsenal being one as although it is a Sunday, our U12 game is 10:30 kick off and the Arsenal game is 16:30.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

steve_f
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by steve_f » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 pm

When I first joined the foudation in its first year I am pretty sure it ha a limited membership of 1200. Getting tickets in those days was really easy. I live near london and dont attend many home games as it is a 500 mile round trip. I do get to plenty of away games, ths is the first time that I have not been able to get a ticket via the foundation. Looks like I will be watching on sportsmania. Gutted to say the least especially as my Mrs was going to come along too. Would have been her 4th game this season, a record.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I dropped a ticket request in on Sat am before the Leicester game and recieved our two tickets yesterday

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:I dropped a ticket request in on Sat am before the Leicester game and recieved our two tickets yesterday
So you don't have to queue up or go on line?!? Is this advance ordering available to anyone?

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Why cant the club just say sorry we got it wrong?

Id like to know who is it that decides what ticket allocation we take?

The ticket allocation system is a joke. Half those attendin away games dont have 5000 points but using other peoples numbers.

Someone always loses out but the current system if used honestly just means friends and family would never be able to sit together. No one under 16 can possibly have got a ticket!

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6458 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:59 pm

If we get more tickets I bloody hope we sell them all...

claret54
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by claret54 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Very good statement. The club really messed up.
I wonder what Dyche and the players think about having only 1500 supporters rather than 3000.
I hope someone with contacts get their support for more tickets and a change in future policy.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks Zoe
I have had crap journey.
Trains all knackered.
Stuck in taxi on M65 - blocked by accident

bleep bleep bleep

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 pm

sorry..error

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2053 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:49 pm

TonbridgeClaret wrote:I have just spoken to Arsenal ticket office regarding more tickets for Burnley fans. The lady (Laura) said they could not disclose any information and that I should liaise with Burnley ticket office regarding more tickets. I told her that I had already spoken with them and had been told no more tickets would be available, as Arsenal had refused them. She then asked me to stay on hold while she spoke with someone else. When she came back on the phone she said that there should be a further statement put out by Burnley FC later this afternoon. Could be good news for those hoping for tickets?
Fingers crossed! And good detective work Tonbridge

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Daz Bentley just seems too comfortable in his role now. Thinks he’s a media genius.....

Can’t see why they can’t go back to Arsenal and ask for more, surely they’d be glad to sell the things....

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 pm

KRBFC wrote:What are the prizes? enough to justify the £25 a week ticket?
Think it’s 100 quid top prize (£20 least you can win) a week you can win up to then they have a jackpot draw last winner won 15 grand I think so worth it if you get lucky I suppose!

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Terrible decision by the club. Massive game. Would have easily sold the larger allocation. Sold 6000 at city after Xmas. Small time thinking. Sort it out.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Sold 6100 for a midweek night match in London not so long back.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 am

ten bellies wrote:Sold 6100 for a midweek night match in London not so long back.
To be fair that's as pointless as the clubs response, a cup game when hadn't played a big club for some time, Cheap tickets etc, it was a one off.... Other arguments are far more relative than that one.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:38 am

Grumps wrote:To be fair that's as pointless as the clubs response, a cup game when hadn't played a big club for some time, Cheap tickets etc, it was a one off.... Other arguments are far more relative than that one.
You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you. Just the point was that if the game is attractive enough, we can mobilize a large support to travel long distances when the transport links aren't at their best, ie. no return trains. I would say the Arsenal game is of great interest to Burnley fans.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 am

ClaretTony wrote:Statement from Burnley FC Supporters Groups on the ticket allocation taken for the Arsenal game and the club's subsequent response

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/supporters- ... allocation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony - Did you receive any reply?

It is interesting that Blackburn have sold 3030 tickets for their game at Charlton next Saturday and have requested more tickets.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3793 times
Has Liked: 12492 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

tybfc wrote:Tony - Did you receive any reply?

It is interesting that Blackburn have sold 3030 tickets for their game at Charlton next Saturday and have requested more tickets.
TY - There is a slight difference in the situations in that at Charlton the away club gets access to the full capacity of the away end on a sale or return basis, as Charlton don't put home fans in that stand even if the away club don't sell all the tickets. Whereas at Arsenal they know that they can sell any of the away allocation which the away club don't take. However, it is a good indication that if they could sell that many for a trip to London, then we certainly would have done!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am

tybfc wrote:Tony - Did you receive any reply?

I wouldn't get a reply - the statement was issued by Burnley FC Supporters Groups which I published on here. It wasn't sent directly to the club I don't think so wouldn't expect them to have replied to it.

As for Charlton, we requested more tickets when we went there in 2016 but we didn't get them. We just got the entire away end.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:20 am

Leisure wrote:TY - There is a slight difference in the situations in that at Charlton the away club gets access to the full capacity of the away end on a sale or return basis, as Charlton don't put home fans in that stand even if the away club don't sell all the tickets. Whereas at Arsenal they know that they can sell any of the away allocation which the away club don't take. However, it is a good indication that if they could sell that many for a trip to London, then we certainly would have done!
That really was my point Peter. It isn't shown on here how many fans we took to Charlton at the end of our Championship season but I would hazard a guess it was a tad more than 2000!

I reckon we would have doubled our taken allocation at least if allowed but just wondered if anybody with any clout at the Club had replied.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 am

tybfc wrote:That really was my point Peter. It isn't shown on here how many fans we took to Charlton at the end of our Championship season but I would hazard a guess it was a tad more than 2000!

I reckon we would have doubled our taken allocation at least if allowed but just wondered if anybody with any clout at the Club had replied.
It's not shown on here because no figure was ever published - I asked the question for completeness but no one was able to give me that figure.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's not shown on here because no figure was ever published - I asked the question for completeness but no one was able to give me that figure.
It wasn't a criticism.

My main question was whether the Club had replied to the Supporters Groups questions.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 am

tybfc wrote:It wasn't a criticism.

My main question was whether the Club had replied to the Supporters Groups questions.
Which I think I answered - you asked me, and it wasn't from me but I'm not aware anything was sent to the club, it was merely a statement.

Rickers Twickers
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Rickers Twickers » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:58 pm

Absolutely no doubt that the club should have taken the full allocation on this occasion. It might not have allowed everyone who wanted to attend the game a ticket -but at least more would have stood a chance.

Communications have been pretty poor all round but it seems the media manager is more comfortable doing co-commentaries and travelling with the team in his match-day lesiure wear than doing what should be his job. He may be out of his depth though, on a personal level, he seems decent enough.

I suppose we will have to accept that more people want to go to games now and that includes those who only go to the odd game here and there. A fixture in London at the end of the season, on a Bank Holiday weekend, will always be more popular. The club certainly should have realised that.

I think they also need to do something about the ‘mate in the ticket office’ mentality. I have no idea whether that is a real scenario but speak to enough people at games to suspect that a few obtain tickets for matches in that fashion - particularly those who may have slightly higher profiles than the rest of us. I suppose it happens at every club - but that doesn’t make it right. I go to every game and see new faces each week and often wonder how people get their tickets.

The Loyalty Points system is what it is but we all know it is easy enough to borrow someone else’s number if necessary. Not sure what the club can do about this save for printing names on tickets and asking for ID at the ground. I don’t think anyone would want this. All we want is it for to be a fair system.

Finally, many years ago when I was playing on Saturdays I was a member of the Foundation as it was a way of contributing a small amount to the club and gave me a chance of getting tickets for games. These were never guaranteed though, in those days, were not in short supply. Pounts were added sporadically and only on request. Indeed, instead of the requisite 10 per game different amounts were added - anything from 1-10. Even now my loyalty points total ends in and odd number!

I suspect we may have an ‘away travel club’ set up before too long. A lot of the bigger teams have something similar.

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 pm

So the supporters clubs have got together and worded a strong response but then just sent it to other supporters and not the club? Powerful stuff.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Rickers Twickers wrote:I think they also need to do something about the ‘mate in the ticket office’ mentality.
There are clearly various unpublicised routes to tickets. Woodleyclaret mentioned that he/she can pre-order before they go on sale (but hasn't commented further as to how / why they can do that). I know that option's not available to me; like nearly everyone else I have to be on my toes when they're officially on sale.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:31 pm

Reckoner wrote:So the supporters clubs have got together and worded a strong response but then just sent it to other supporters and not the club? Powerful stuff.
No, this was a press release that was sent out to the media. Any communication between the club and BFCSG I would imagine would remain private initially.

Adidas1961
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Adidas1961 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Exactly what I have done Re. Foundation membership. Cancelled as it's a waste of time!

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:No, this was a press release that was sent out to the media. Any communication between the club and BFCSG I would imagine would remain private initially.
OK Tony. Who in the media did you send it to and why has it remained private between you, us and the Club?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 pm

tybfc wrote:OK Tony. Who in the media did you send it to and why has it remained private between you, us and the Club?
???????????

Was sent to local media, press etc., it's not private at all as far as I'm aware and I've pointed it out to you more than once that I published it on here on behalf of BFCSG.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4105 times
Has Liked: 6588 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

TonbridgeClaret wrote:Apologies if it's been explained on another thread, but why can't the club ask Arsenal for the remaining away fans tickets? It was mentioned somewhere that Arsenal will sell the tickets to their own fans, I find that hard to believe, as there have been thousands of empty seats at their recent home games in the league. There is still well over two weeks to the match, plenty of time to sell them!
I imagine the decision was taken after discussions by both clubs in the light of what was going to be announced about Wenger.

Arsenal- “would you mind taking a smaller allotment as there will be a very good reason for arsenal fans to turn up that day, Wenger is retiring, but don’t say owt we haven’t released the news yet?”

Burnley- “yeah ok. Our fans won’t be happy but we will fob em off with some shite...if anyone rings, tell em ya can’t give out any info and we will do the same”