Wenger

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Wenger

Post by Sidney1st » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:55 pm

KRBFC wrote:Interesting you mention Chelsea in that list, they certainly haven't splashed the cash for a long long time. Nothing like they used to be when Roman arrived, Chelsea also have the best youth set up in world football, they must generate an absolute fortune from the youth set up. Chalobah, Matic, Ake, Cork, Bamford, Hutchinson, Mceachran, Solanke, Traore, Van Aanholt, Bruma, Bertrand, De Bruyne, Lukaku are just a few who they've sold. (I know they didn't produce Matic through the youth set up but he was brought in as a young play when he was 18). They have some they haven't sold yet like Loftus Cheek, Kennedy, Abraham, Christensen, Courtois(signed young).
Is it the best youth set up for generating money or for producing first team players for Chelsea?

99% of people will say it's a money making scheme, that's it really.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Bl00dy he'll it's just been headline news on BBC news. Obviously WW3 put into perspective.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Excellent manager. Reshaped arsenal and english football. Shame the vitriol he has received over recebt years but thats nodern football and modern fans.

He will always be an icon of the league and arsenal. Coincidentally watched a documentary about thierry henry last night and the way he speaks about wenger speaks volumes.

To win as many trophies he did
Finish in the champions league spots as often as he did (which is seen as a trophy these days)
To go a full season unbeaten
To oversea two club record scorers

Says it all.

Top manager.

The emirates is a great legacy to him.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 pm

And as eddlass. Hes the last link of the premier league to my youth.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Is it the best youth set up for generating money or for producing first team players for Chelsea?

99% of people will say it's a money making scheme, that's it really.
Producing footballers in general, yeah it's a profitable money making scheme. Doesn't seem a real intent on producing players to use, more to sell although many have stayed.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 pm

It's a myth that Wenger built Arsenal, but he took a good side (including Ian Wright and Dennis Bergkamp finishing 5th) and made them great. He was a breath of fresh air and was streets ahead of the English game for years. For his own legacy he stayed too long though and had he gone 5 or 6 years ago (when the likes of Madrid and Milan were sniffing) it would have led to a vast mourning. As it is the only gnashing of teeth in that part of North London has been because of the clubs refusal to get rid in the last 3 years. A sad end really,

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 am

arsenal.PNG
arsenal.PNG (150.63 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 am

elwaclaret wrote:It's a myth that Wenger built Arsenal, but he took a good side (including Ian Wright and Dennis Bergkamp finishing 5th) and made them great. He was a breath of fresh air and was streets ahead of the English game for years. For his own legacy he stayed too long though and had he gone 5 or 6 years ago (when the likes of Madrid and Milan were sniffing) it would have led to a vast mourning. As it is the only gnashing of teeth in that part of North London has been because of the clubs refusal to get rid in the last 3 years. A sad end really,
Thats like saying its a myth that Dyche built Burnley cos he took a good side with Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff, Wallace, Marney, Ings, Vokkes. What Wenger did for Arsenal and English football is barely comparable with anything any manager has done in the last 30 years.

If you think the reaction is over the top just look at how obsessed our fans are with every interview and comment Dyche makes and imagine if he managed Burnley for 20 years replicating his success to date what the reaction would be when he finally called it a day.

Wenger is one of footballs managing greats and when you look beyond the way he protects his team he is a very honest, engaging, nice and intelligent man and whist he is a little passed his sell by date I hope the English football world rallies round to give him the send of he deserves including our fans who are there at his last home game
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Thats like saying its a myth that Dyche built Burnley cos he took a good side with Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff, Wallace, Marney, Ings, Vokkes. What Wenger did for Arsenal and English football is barely comparable with anything any manager has done in the last 30 years.

If you think the reaction is over the top just look at how obsessed our fans are with every interview and comment Dyche makes and imagine if he managed Burnley for 20 years replicating his success to date what the reaction would be when he finally called it a day.

Wenger is one of footballs managing greats and when you look beyond the way he protects his team he is a very honest, engaging, nice and intelligent man and whist he is a little passed his sell by date I hope the English football world rallies round to give him the send of he deserves including our fans who are there at his last home game
Agree completely.

Suspect its happened now to gazump Chelsea in any managerial pursuit.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:54 am

The question I have for Wenger...

“Did you see it... coming...?”

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am

Pretty sure Wenger will have wanted another season and see out his contract. Seems a bit rushed, as though someone had a word in his ear maybe? Bet Sky wish they chose our game now. Chelsea Liverpool is likely to be completely meaningless.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:45 am

*wrong link

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Thats like saying its a myth that Dyche built Burnley cos he took a good side with Trippier, Mee, Shackell, Duff, Wallace, Marney, Ings, Vokkes. What Wenger did for Arsenal and English football is barely comparable with anything any manager has done in the last 30 years.

Not sure what you find to criticise about my post as it was almost exactly the point you went on to make. Wenger made a good team into world beaters 10 years ahead of the English game. I was far from disrespecting the memory of what he achieved just pointing out time had caught up with him as he stuck to his winning formula.... a point several pro's went on to make in interviews last night.

Think you read it as an attack, which it wasn't. Several people have commented that he brought in and named players that were brought in before his time. I was merely pointing out that they were already at the club and that he was the one who turned them from 5th to world beaters.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am

elwaclaret wrote:Not sure what you find to criticise about my post as it was almost exactly the point you went on to make. Wenger made a good team into world beaters 10 years ahead of the English game. I was far from disrespecting the memory of what he achieved just pointing out time had caught up with him as he stuck to his winning formula.... a point several pro's went on to make in interviews last night.

Think you read it as an attack, which it wasn't. Several people have commented that he brought in and named players that were brought in before his time. I was merely pointing out that they were already at the club and that he was the one who turned them from 5th to world beaters.
Yep agree with you and I probably used an out of context snippet of your post to make a point which was really in response to some other posts on the thread and not yours. Think your post is a fair one and I could have (and should have) easily made my point without quoting you
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:54 am

I thought this was on the cards. My nieces dad works for Wenger and 6 months ago she said her dad was looking for a new club next season

The new guy who comes in will have a complete clear out of the coaching staff no doubt

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Dy1geo wrote:It amazes me when people say he has hung on too long, he has managed to get in Champions League every year bar this one and won FA Cup three out of last four seasons. The reality is first Abramovich and now Sheihk Mansour have changed the game with their spending power with Arsenal struggling to catch up. The top teams can’t allow time for young talent to progress, how many of the current Arsenal youth team that has reached the Youth Cup final will make the first team on a regular basis?
These owners want instant sucess and are prepared to pay for it look at what City have spent on their full backs. Football has come to the stage when winning the FA Cup is not seen as a successful season amongst supporters and owners of some club. Qualifying for the Champions league is now seen a bare minimum for the top six clubs and for the two that miss out unfortunately even given past achievements you are on your way.
Absolutely spot on!
Rovers apart, once the mega rich owners of Chelsea & City started hoovering up everything in sight most of the BIG clubs had to play catch up which is very difficult when your against some ego-tripping open cheque book oil billionaire. It`s no longer a competition. Plus the nouveau Arsenal fans/tourists from the past 10 years or so seem to think they`re so entitled, it`s they who`ve hounded him out.
Nothing will change for the better, top 6 is no longer nailed on.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Does anyone know if they are any plans to have shows debating Wengers time at Arsenal!?

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

I can imagine the TV comment from bitter plonker Chris Sutton now - "Can you imagine how disappointed Wenger must be that his final home game in charge of Arsenal will be against Burnley."