Jay could be back on his way to us

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Jay could be back on his way to us

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Spijed wrote:A striker will always be judged on goals to games ratio, regardless of what position they play.
Really? I'm not sure that's true at all. Comparing a central striker to a striker playing out wide using goal to game ratio sounds stupid and pointless imo.

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:After he turned us down in the summer apparently?
‘Apparently’

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Why should it be rodriguez or another striker. We all know we could sign better but why cant we sign both rodriguez and another striker? Yes it would probably spell tge end for the likes of wells, walters and even vokes as painful as that may be but a strike force of barnes, wood, jayrod and a classy number 10 (plus vokes as back up if he is willing) would gives us superb strength in depth.

claretlegend
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by claretlegend » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 pm

I don't understand people saying we wouldn't want to sign him if he hadn't played for us previously. Course we would, he's a good player. The fact he has played for us before makes no difference to me. I want us to sign Jay Rodriguez because he's a very good footballer.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Had doubts during the latter part of his stay at Southampton, but at WBA he has proved his fitness, work ethic and shown he isstill a class player still

He was MOM v Liverpool and Utd. This possibility would really excite me-the perfect No 10-we have no one that can play it at present

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm

MRG wrote:‘Apparently’
Yeah, I think it was CT said that he turned us down last summer... probably nonsense.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I definitely think we'll be in the market for a striker this summer, perhaps 2 given our European commitments.

If Dyche wants Jay, then that's fine by me. We know we're getting a good character in Jay (is he still really good mates with Jack Cork?) who has a real affinity with the club and so there's no danger that he won't fit in. As a second striker /"number 10", in a 4-4-2 he's probably still a good option for us.

On the other hand, I'm a bit dubious of where he'd fit in. Jay is a subtle target man, but he's nonetheless increasingly developed into that sort of player- someone good in the air and good with his back to goal. So to a large extent he's a different version on what Barnes and Vokes have been offering us. I don't see that we need 3 of that sort of player - not with Wood, although more mobile, also being a physical sort of forward - so that would seem to mean Barnes or more likely Vokes leaving. Perhaps I'm being sentimental, but given the role both of them have played for us over the last 5 years, I'd be a bit disappointed by that, even if Jay is a returning prodigal son. Also, if reports are to be believed he'd be about our biggest earner and I don't know if he's good enough relative to what we've already got to justify that.

If we're keeping Vokes and Barnes, I'd have thought someone more mobile, more capable of stretching teams wide and in behind, perhaps capable of playing out wide. Post injury, from what I've seen it appears Jay doesn't have the pace to play the role he once played for Southampton.
These 2 users liked this post: Cirrus_Minor IndigoLake

Ilkley claret
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Ilkley claret » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

Replace, Wells, Vokes and Walters with Jay, Shane Long and Austin/Ings, yes please.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm

We should go buy Belotti, Cutrone, Chiesa, Milinkovic-Savic and Rugani from Serie A and win the treble next year

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 pm

A great signing for me if it happens he is better than what we have got

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Ilkley claret wrote:Replace, Wells, Vokes and Walters with Jay, Shane Long and Austin/Ings, yes please.

Shane Long? He hasn't played for us!! :D

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Jays family are now sharing the story on their profiles with comments that suggest that there is something in this

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 pm

It’s a big ‘Yes’ from me. I reckon he could come in useful for a, potential, European campaign.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Spijed wrote:1 in 4 for Southampton
1 in 5 for West Brom would suggest not.
I would base my opinion on his footballing ability before his goals to games ratio. And, as mentioned by others, 1 in 4 isn’t too bad for Premier League. I thought some of his performances recently playing behind Rondon were excellent!

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Jay is a striker and with the right attitude (tick) and the right guidance (tick) the goals will come. Just look at Barnsey, he’s banging them in for fun now and I have a feeling Jay would too. If some you haven’t noticed, we have a training team that can bring the best out in the talent we bring in. I’m quite happy to continue watching and being amazed.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 pm

He’s scored one goal more than Wood and Barnes for a team bottom of the league yet he’s not good enough for us according to some?

Possible reality check needed.
These 6 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret JohnDearyMe Walton Claret-On-A-T-Rex IndigoLake firebfcfire

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 pm

Is he the answer to the 'number 10' conundrum that's so vexed the members of this forum for several months?

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Spijed wrote:But with modern surgery techniques players should be able to recover fully from any severe injury. Both Same Vokes and Ashley Barnes did.
They never had any pace to lose!

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 pm

If we are to be playing in the Europa Cup next year, he would be an excellent addition to our small squad, so for me it's a big Yes.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Talks between the two parties took place before the wba away game. The lad will take a cut to come

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 pm

My mind is absolutely boggled that anyone wouldn't think this a good signing if it happened.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm

He didn’t leave on bad terms and his sale helped us out a lot. Having a Burnley supporter in the dressing room would be no bad thing. Whatever the manager and staff go with I’m happy to follow.

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Controversial perhaps .... but tbh .... I've never really rated him as being anything all that special. I think it's great that he's a local lad and has made it into the big time but i reckon if he wasn't a local lad then people wouldn't be giving him a second thought. Like someone else said .... would make a dependable striker at Championship level.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Dependable striker at championship level really?

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

This really is a no-brainer. He would be a great signing. I can't believe some of the negativity on this forum, but then what would you expect? This is UTC.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by starting_11 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 pm

dermotdermot wrote:This really is a no-brainer. He would be a great signing. I can't believe some of the negativity on this forum, but then what would you expect? This is UTC.
Yes... it IS utc... thats why people are harking on about false nostalgia

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Will be interesting to see if any other clubs are interested in signing him.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Dependable player in the Championship :lol:

This thread has some amazing comments. Keep it up!

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:40 am

As part of the evolution of Burnley under Dyche as a Premier League side, we need to bring in players gradually who are technically better than what we have. In doing so, we need to maintain that fantastic dressing room spirit we have which contributes a lot more to our success than some seem to realise. The evidence is:
* in my opinion Jay is ‘technically’ better that any of our other forwards. He’s a better passer than our strikers and has more of a touch of flair.
* there’s an option of playing Rodriguez deeper in the forward role of a midfield 3. You couldn’t do that with Wood, Wells or Vokes, and arguably Barnes passing isn’t good enough.
* Rodriguez still offers similar physicality to Vokes, Barnes and Wood, so playing him instead of one of those three wouldn’t see us lose out in that regard.
* Jay’s north west background fits perfectly with what Garlick has said about risk free signings and having a happy dressing room. It’s not a must, but it’s a bonus. As has been mentioned, a good friendship with Cork will help too.
* at his best for Southampton (pre injury admittedly) he was scoring at a rate of one in two in a top half side.
* Sam Vokes has started 3 of our last 31 league games. He’s 29 this year and is likely to fancy first team football.
* like most Burnley fans, I think Vokes is a top man, but the reality is he’s not good enough for where we now find ourselves. I read somewhere that his pass completion rate is the worst in Europes top 5 leagues. Following on from my last point, if we can get decent money in for Vokes it’s probably in everyone’s interests if he moves as sad as that would be to see.

I wouldn’t go as far as seeing it as a no-brainer, but I see more pro’s than cons. I’m not sure there’s a more obvious choice from the English leagues who fits our system and team spirit.
These 3 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Stproc Chip Harrison

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:59 am

dermotdermot wrote:This really is a no-brainer. He would be a great signing. I can't believe some of the negativity on this forum, but then what would you expect? This is UTC.
I think there's quite a few 20 and 30 somethings with a bit of the green eyed monster if you ask me.

I know quite a few lads who were/looked bigger, better and stronger than Jay at the same levels, some even played a long side him for school or the academy, but sadly they carried on at the local clubs, then pub football whilst he excelled, and made it a pro.

Similar people try and do the same with Jimmy Anderson, local lad who played for Burnley, has become the greatest ever English bowler, and 1 of the worlds best of all time, yet he said he supported Arsenal as a youngster , so people give him greif.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 am

I think Jay Rod has been somewhere near back to his best over the last few months, albeit scrapping in a WBA side that should be nowhere near the bottom 3. His work rate is phenomenal and for me he would be ideal for filling the hole in the number 10 role. Pure speculation and I'm sure there will be plenty of suitors if he did decide the move on.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:43 am

Much as I love big Sam Vokes, and he still has a role to play in our squad, there is no way he would have been one of the first names on the WBA team sheet this season. He might not even make their bench

Jay is the signing Jon Walters should have been in Summer
This user liked this post: Notsosuperstevedavis

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:52 am

I’ll echo the sentiments of anyone who says that, if it’s what Dyche wants, it’s ok by me.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 am

warksclaret wrote:Much as I love big Sam Vokes, and he still has a role to play in our squad, there is no way he would have been one of the first names on the WBA team sheet this season. He might not even make their bench

Jay is the signing Jon Walters should have been in Summer
Why wouldn't Vokes make first name on the team sheet at WBA?
He's already shown he can score when played regularly, he's scored just a couple less PL goals these last 2 season than the firm UTC favourite Rondon...with less appearances.

He's scored more than Jay-Rod with a similar number of appearances and he's also far better than Robson-Kanu.

To say there is no way Vokes would be first name on the teamsheet at WBA is hilarious when he's no worse than what they've already got, if anything he's probably better with the right service than 2 out of the 3 I've mentioned.

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:55 am

It's a yes from me. A definite upgrade on what we already have.

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:01 am

Is Jay Rod the sexy footballer half this message board are creaming themselves over thinking the Europa League is going to bring? No, 100% not.

Is Jay Rod an upgrade on any of what we have got? Yes, at least 3/5 And at a push 5/5. That'll do for me.

People knock Dyche for his lack of going for it in cups. He's right to rest players but we don't have a squad capable of doing this and have in turn been crap. Impossible task though, imagine telling Vokes "you're not my main man, but you can have 4 sporadic games this season to prove you can be". The Europa League gives our squad players a bit of a bigger carrot, meaning we should attract better squad players (but not quite the influx of star names some people are hoping for)

MonkeyThief
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by MonkeyThief » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:14 am

jojomk1 wrote:Given the position WBA were in when he signed in Jan, I would have thought that Jay's agent would, as a minimum, have insisted on a relegation release clause inserted into any contract
However, if the likes of WHU, Newcastle, Palace etc start to show any interest we have to be realistic and expect to be blown out of the water with wage offers
Money talks, and other clubs will be prepared to offer more (even if they really can't afford it)
He signed for them last summer...

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:As part of the evolution of Burnley under Dyche as a Premier League side, we need to bring in players gradually who are technically better than what we have. In doing so, we need to maintain that fantastic dressing room spirit we have which contributes a lot more to our success than some seem to realise. The evidence is:
* in my opinion Jay is ‘technically’ better that any of our other forwards. He’s a better passer than our strikers and has more of a touch of flair.
* there’s an option of playing Rodriguez deeper in the forward role of a midfield 3. You couldn’t do that with Wood, Wells or Vokes, and arguably Barnes passing isn’t good enough.
* Rodriguez still offers similar physicality to Vokes, Barnes and Wood, so playing him instead of one of those three wouldn’t see us lose out in that regard.
* Jay’s north west background fits perfectly with what Garlick has said about risk free signings and having a happy dressing room. It’s not a must, but it’s a bonus. As has been mentioned, a good friendship with Cork will help too.
* at his best for Southampton (pre injury admittedly) he was scoring at a rate of one in two in a top half side.
* Sam Vokes has started 3 of our last 31 league games. He’s 29 this year and is likely to fancy first team football.
* like most Burnley fans, I think Vokes is a top man, but the reality is he’s not good enough for where we now find ourselves. I read somewhere that his pass completion rate is the worst in Europes top 5 leagues. Following on from my last point, if we can get decent money in for Vokes it’s probably in everyone’s interests if he moves as sad as that would be to see.

I wouldn’t go as far as seeing it as a no-brainer, but I see more pro’s than cons. I’m not sure there’s a more obvious choice from the English leagues who fits our system and team spirit.
I agree with much of this - I think its a fair summary generally of the position. The one thing I disagree with is the treatment of Vokes. His goalscoring record for Burnley in the Premier League remains roughly a goal every 3 games (based on minutes on the pitch) and only 12 months ago he'd notched double figures in a team struggling for goals - arguably as big an achievement as Jay's this season. He might well want to move on this summer and if he does, fair enough - but I'm generally very wary of this rush to ditch the players who have got us to the Premier League and been integral to us establishing ourselves at this level, not only by what they've offered on the pitch but the culture they've established off it.

I think the lesson from countless Premier League clubs is that once that core is lost, then regardless of the new aspirations of supporters, results tend to drop off and the club goes into decline - see all of this season's bottom 4 for example. I'm wary of Burnley following that trend, even if Jay's attitude and affinity to the club makes him more of a "continuity candidate" than other perceived upgrades on Vokes might be.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 am

Don’t believe the hype, 7 goals this season, injury prone, not scored more than 10 in the Premier league for 4 years.

We can do better and we need to do better to progress in quality.

He’s no better than Barnes and Wood.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:42 am

Espia wrote:Controversial perhaps .... but tbh .... I've never really rated him as being anything all that special. I think it's great that he's a local lad and has made it into the big time but i reckon if he wasn't a local lad then people wouldn't be giving him a second thought. Like someone else said .... would make a dependable striker at Championship level.
I don't think you're being honest at all. Either that or your so young you've never actually seen him play.
His talent at Burnley was plain for everyone to see, which is why Southampton paid 7 mill for him. He stepped up several rungs of the ladder while there, and scored some absolute worldies for them, so much so that he got the England call. IF he hadn't picked up the injury he would still be part of the set up now.
Is he the same player now, possibly not, but his form this season suggests he isn't that far away. If he was Dyche fit he could even get back on the England radar.
Championship striker, give your head a shake.
FWIW, I'd love to get Jay back. He's different to what we have at the club already, a proven talent, and would therefore add another string to how the team could set up or change to in play.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:46 am

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Don’t believe the hype, 7 goals this season, injury prone, not scored more than 10 in the Premier league for 4 years.

We can do better and we need to do better to progress in quality.

He’s no better than Barnes and Wood.
Ah but he's a local lad, so he will always be considered as better than others of a similar stature.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:51 am

Sidney I disagree. Jay would bring to our attack what Cork has bought to our midfield. They have class and flair. Did you not see Jay play against Liverpool at Anfield earlier this year-he was unplayable scoring twice. He was also a clear man of the match at Old Trafford a few weeks ago with Man Utd certs to win, but losing to his goal. Under SD this guy would be a huge asset

By the way Sam is not first choice for Wales in all games anymore-needs too many chances to score

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am

warksclaret wrote:Sidney I disagree. Jay would bring to our attack what Cork has bought to our midfield. They have class and flair. Did you not see Jay play against Liverpool at Anfield earlier this year-he was unplayable scoring twice. He was also a clear man of the match at Old Trafford a few weeks ago with Man Utd certs to win, but losing to his goal. Under SD this guy would be a huge asset

By the way Sam is not first choice for Wales in all games anymore-needs too many chances to score
I rarely watch football on TV anymore, so no I didn't.

I like Jay and he is a good player BUT people appear eager to dump what we have for him and state that he's clearly a Dyche player yaddy yaddy yaddy.

Is he that far ahead of our other players?
It would appear he can be on occasion, but is he the same step up that Wood was/is from Gray, Brady from Boyd or Defour from Jones?
That's the thing I'm asking but people have glued their claret specs on when it comes to Jay.

They do the same over Rondon and before him Shane Long so it's not a surprise :roll: :lol:

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 am

Sidney1st wrote:I rarely watch football on TV anymore, so no I didn't.

I like Jay and he is a good player BUT people appear eager to dump what we have for him and state that he's clearly a Dyche player yaddy yaddy yaddy.

Is he that far ahead of our other players?
It would appear he can be on occasion, but is he the same step up that Wood was/is from Gray, Brady from Boyd or Defour from Jones?
That's the thing I'm asking but people have glued their claret specs on when it comes to Jay.

They do the same over Rondon and before him Shane Long so it's not a surprise :roll: :lol:
Sidney, it's not all Claret specs. He isn't the same as any of our players, so he isn't going to be an upgrade on anyone. He has different skill sets to what we have, which is why people argue he could fill that number 10 role if SD wants to play that system.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 am

starting_11 wrote:Not really a fan of people who leave their home club to go onto "better things" (more money)...

How is a club supposed to get better if the star and home grown players don't stick around to help?

Anyway, let him rot back in the Championship, the club is looking for better than him now.
I see where you are coming from on this but in the end it's a job, and you do whatever you can to better yourself and/or increase your earnings. Just because he's from Burnley and is a fan of the club doesn't mean he has to stay tied to us career wise, lots of people leave jobs to 'better' themselves and for some it works and for others it doesn't and in Jays case I'm sure his moves have brought him a healthy bank account, but we shouldn't hold it against him because he wanted to widen his horizons. As for his coming back I am keeping an open mind as I think he could do a job but I wouldn't cry if he didn't return.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 am

Would Jay Rod play the no.10 role in support of the front one or two? Does he possess what Hendrick is perceived to lack in that role?

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Sidney1st wrote:Ah but he's a local lad, so he will always be considered as better than others of a similar stature.
Sidney1st wrote:
I rarely watch football on TV anymore, so no I didn't.
You just post for the sake of posting, sometimes, don't You?
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone UpTheBeehole

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:22 am

No brainer, he is a better 'footballer' than any of our attacking options (including Barnes and Wood), and would work well with any of them. I would suggest he could easily play deeper in the Hendrick role if we were going in the 451 route, he could also play with Barnes, Wood or Vokes in a two, and allows us substitution/tactical options if trailing. Definitely a player who can change the game if he was to be on the bench with us trailing, in my opinion.

Flog Walters and Wells, get Jay in.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 am

Diesel wrote:You just post for the sake of posting, sometimes, don't You?
I merely asked a question.
People beat themselves into a frenzy over Jay anytime they can on here, they do similar over players like Rondon and Shane Long for some bizarre reason.

So asking if he's a clear step up to our other strikers is a valid question.
I don't watch much footy on tv unlike some of the other experts on here, who must watch every game they can :roll:

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am

Perfect fit for us wether he starts or comes off the bench, has he got 11 goals in a really shite WBA side,more than any of our forwards ...get him signed.