Jay could be back on his way to us

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Jay could be back on his way to us

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 am

I'll miss Sam vokes when he joins Southampton. And I'm dissapointed nahki wells hasn't had a decent enough run to see how good or bad he is.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:38 am

Sidney1st wrote:I merely asked a question.
People beat themselves into a frenzy over Jay anytime they can on here, they do similar over players like Rondon and Shane Long for some bizarre reason.

So asking if he's a clear step up to our other strikers is a valid question.
I don't watch much footy on tv unlike some of the other experts on here, who must watch every game they can :roll:
I really don’t see anyone “getting in a frenzy” over this. It’s a pretty normal / typical thread for this board. Some people think he would be a good signing and others don’t.

Personally I think he would be. What does p&ss me off is the line that people such as you always throw out that fans only want him back because he his a local lad....seriously do you realise how little sense that makes ?

Nobody ever advocates signing a lad who plays for the Rose and Crown in the Sunday League division 3 just because he is a “local lad” so why would you think they would want Jay just because he is a local lad. Do you think it might be because they think he’s a good player ?!!!

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:40 am

My issue is his age and what fee West Brom would want.

We paid £18 million for Chris Wood as a 25 year old. How much are we willing to pay for a player who will be 29 when the season starts?

Also, as Sidney says there are many with Claret tinted specs when it comes to Jay-Rod. I've even heard someone saying that had he not had his injury he could have been as good as Harry Kane. With all respect to Jay-Rod, Harry Kane is on another planet ability wise.

Sidney1st
Been Liked: 3548 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

How little sense it makes yet there are plenty of comments about how he's local so he'd be perfect for the dressing room etc.

Yet I make little sense...

I'm not against signing him if that's getting your back up, provided he's a clear step up, which is why I've asked but you'd rather focus on the local lad thing I've linked to other peoples comments :roll:

We sign him and he's better then great, no issue.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 am

Spijed wrote:My issue is his age and what fee West Brom would want.

We paid £18 million for Chris Wood as a 25 year old. How much are we willing to pay for a player who will be 29 when the season starts?

Also, as Sidney says there are many with Claret tinted specs when it comes to Jay-Rod. I've even heard someone saying that had he not had his injury he could have been as good as Harry Kane. With all respect to Jay-Rod, Harry Kane is on another planet ability wise.
Think Jay will be in his prime over the next three seasons ...perfect time to sign him Spijed.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am

Is he as good as he was -no
Is he going to be cheap - no
Is he an improvement on Barnes and Wood - no
Is he a useful addition if one of Wells or Walters leave - yes
Can he offer something different to the strikers we have - probably

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 am

If we get Jay Rod then surely that would mean Vokes leaving in all likelihood as I can't imagine him happy about being pushed down the order.

Last season Sam Vokes scored 12 goals in 42 matches (1 every 3.5 games) in all competitions for a team finishing in 16th.
This season Jay-Rod has scored 11 in 38 matches (1 every 3.45 games) in all competitions for a team likely to finish 20th.

Not a big difference.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:27 am

It's not just about goals though is it. Different type of player to Vokes. Jay Rod is more the type of player we are missing as a link up man it is just whether he is the best man for the job regardless of him being an ex player.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 am

Sidney1st wrote:How little sense it makes yet there are plenty of comments about how he's local so he'd be perfect for the dressing room etc.

I'm not against signing him if that's getting your back up, provided he's a clear step up, which is why I've asked but you'd rather focus on the local lad thing I've linked to other peoples comments :roll:

I'm not sure we need a step up, more of a step out. We've probabloy got pretty much as good as we can get with our budget, and a seventh place finish will pretty much confirm that. What we lack if we're going into Europe next season is the same quality in numbers across the squad as we have in the first eleven (although some areas are better than others).
These 2 users liked this post: Sidney1st Spijed

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:39 am

I don't think we should be turning our noses up at a very capable and experienced Premier League player. He's not had a bad season considering how poor West Brom have been and he certainly offers something different to our other forwards. The fact that he's from Burnley might just get that extra few % out of him. The gaffer is often talking about fine margins after all! However, I hope that even if we do sign Jay, we'll look to sign a pacy, younger striker as well.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 am

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Don’t believe the hype, 7 goals this season, injury prone, not scored more than 10 in the Premier league for 4 years.

We can do better and we need to do better to progress in quality.

He’s no better than Barnes and Wood.
He's got 11 goals this season; 7 in the league, 3 in the FA Cup (with 2 coming against Liverpool), and 1 in the League Cup.

His PL goals have come against Man City, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd, Stoke, Bournemouth and Swansea, so he's no flat-track bully.

To notch those goals, as a second striker behind Rondon, in a team as desperately poor as WBA shows he's a good player.
These 3 users liked this post: Right_winger ngsobob scrambledclaret

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:He's got 11 goals this season; 7 in the league, 3 in the FA Cup (with 2 coming against Liverpool), and 1 in the League Cup.

His PL goals have come against Man City, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd, Stoke, Bournemouth and Swansea, so he's no flat-track bully.

To notch those goals, as a second striker behind Rondon, in a team as desperately poor as WBA shows he's a good player.
Wow I actually find myself in 100% agreement with UTB.
This user liked this post: UpTheBeehole

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:53 am

The amount of times you hear "no better than what we've got" on this board is ridiculous. Last summer I suggested that Chris Wood would be a definite upgrade on Vokes and Barnes and I don't think a single person agreed with me. Anyway, technically Jay's an upgrade on any of our strikers and if Dyche thinks he can get him fit enough it's a no-brainer.
This user liked this post: ngsobob

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:25 pm

TVC15 wrote:I really don’t see anyone “getting in a frenzy” over this. It’s a pretty normal / typical thread for this board. Some people think he would be a good signing and others don’t.

Personally I think he would be. What does p&ss me off is the line that people such as you always throw out that fans only want him back because he his a local lad....seriously do you realise how little sense that makes ?

Nobody ever advocates signing a lad who plays for the Rose and Crown in the Sunday League division 3 just because he is a “local lad” so why would you think they would want Jay just because he is a local lad. Do you think it might be because they think he’s a good player ?!!!
Agreed.

The other ridiculous one is, "What is the obsession with bringing former players back?"

Well, it's not so much an 'obsession' as a known quantity - you know what you are going to get. All suporters know Jay is a very good footballer. Great touch, good pace/awareness, gives everything for the cause etc etc. Surely it's only natural to get a little more excited when you know what they can bring to the team/squad given how many times we have watched them previously.
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Spijed wrote:If we get Jay Rod then surely that would mean Vokes leaving in all likelihood as I can't imagine him happy about being pushed down the order.

Last season Sam Vokes scored 12 goals in 42 matches (1 every 3.5 games) in all competitions for a team finishing in 16th.
This season Jay-Rod has scored 11 in 38 matches (1 every 3.45 games) in all competitions for a team likely to finish 20th.

Not a big difference.
In all fairness to Sam, who continues to be a great asset to the club, he isn't a great footballer. The ball tends to bounce off him rather than stick, which is the main reason Ash is preferred. Jay on the other hand is an excellent footballet, he might not score more than Sam, but he would create a hell of a lot more.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:He's got 11 goals this season; 7 in the league, 3 in the FA Cup (with 2 coming against Liverpool), and 1 in the League Cup.

Barnes has scored against, Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Swansea, Stoke City, Southampton, Everton and West Ham.

9 in the league, to Jay’s 7 which is what really counts for us.

Jay Rodriguez has 28 Premier League goals in the 6 seasons he’s played in the league. (This also covers significant periods injured, but you have to factor that into the equation, it’s a massive risk that he’s so injury prone).

Ashley Barnes has 20 in 3 seasons.

We need people in better than what we’ve got, not benchwarmers, we’ve got enough of those already.
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:45 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Barnes has scored against, Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Swansea, Stoke City, Southampton, Everton and West Ham.

9 in the league, to Jay’s 7 which is what really counts for us.

Jay Rodriguez has 28 Premier League goals in the 6 seasons he’s played in the league. (This also covers significant periods injured, but you have to factor that into the equation, it’s a massive risk that he’s so injury prone).

Ashley Barnes has 20 in 3 seasons.

We need people in better than what we’ve got, not benchwarmers, we’ve got enough of those already.
Barnes getting a lucky escape in that the entire season he missed through injury was at Championship level, by your measure.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote: it’s a massive risk that he’s so injury prone
34 appearances last season and 38 so far this season suggest he's not that injury prone.

he had a bad injury, the same as barnes and vokes had, but that doesn't make him injury prone.

ngsobob
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 282 times

Post by ngsobob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:54 pm

I love watching Jay play. I'd be thrilled if he returned. Good with both feet, great in the air, good control, nippy, excellent positioning. He's class.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I don't think you're being honest at all. Either that or your so young you've never actually seen him play.
His talent at Burnley was plain for everyone to see, which is why Southampton paid 7 mill for him. He stepped up several rungs of the ladder while there, and scored some absolute worldies for them, so much so that he got the England call. IF he hadn't picked up the injury he would still be part of the set up now.
Is he the same player now, possibly not, but his form this season suggests he isn't that far away. If he was Dyche fit he could even get back on the England radar.
Championship striker, give your head a shake.
FWIW, I'd love to get Jay back. He's different to what we have at the club already, a proven talent, and would therefore add another string to how the team could set up or change to in play.
His goal against Forest was a beauty, real touch of class
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Barnes getting a lucky escape in that the entire season he missed through injury was at Championship level, by your measure.
Even with that added in his numbers are far superior.

Or do you think Rodriguez’s are better?

28 in 6 seasons
20 in 4 seasons (1 Championship).

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:17 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:34 appearances last season and 38 so far this season suggest he's not that injury prone.

he had a bad injury, the same as barnes and vokes had, but that doesn't make him injury prone.
For clarity on the injury front.

Days spent injured since 2010:

(Major injuries, not the odd day for a knock etc)

Chris Wood: 63
Sam Vokes: 290
Ashley Barnes: 340
Jay Rodriguez: 639

I just don’t get why we’d sign a player who scores less goals with a worse injury record than who we have already.

It’s pure sentiment and nothing else.

northernpowerhouse

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:I just don’t get why we’d sign a player who scores less goals with a worse injury record than who we have already.
Because he's better technically and a more intelligent footballer than any of our strikers. It's not all about goals, although I'd fancy him to get ten a season in our team.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:37 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:For clarity on the injury front.

I just don’t get why we’d sign a player who scores less goals with a worse injury record than who we have already.

i'm not particularly advocating signing him - he's a good player but not really anymore of a goalscorer than what we've got.

just pointing out that he's not injury prone. he's had a couple of major injuries, same as a lot of players but nothing for the past 2 years. even if he was injury prone, he wouldn't pass our medical so its not really a concern.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Sidney1st wrote:How little sense it makes yet there are plenty of comments about how he's local so he'd be perfect for the dressing room etc.

If you're not against signing him why do you spout the same boring ''people only want him because he's a local lad'' crap on every Jay Rodriguez related topic?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:40 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:For clarity on the injury front.

Rodriguez played wide left throughout his career since leaving us, I'm sure he even played wide left for England. Comparing his goal return to a central striker is stupidity, compare him with the players we have wide left (JBG, Lennon, Brady, Arfield). I'm almost sure he has more goals than Barnes this season in a weaker side.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:42 pm

KRBFC wrote:If you're not against signing him why do you spout the same boring ''people only want him because he's a local lad'' crap on every Jay Rodriguez related topic?
Probably because people keep spouting they want him back with one of the reasons being he's a local lad :roll:

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Who are the viable alternatives to Rodriguez who are under 30, have significant PL experience, are capable of 10+ goals/season, are better than what we have already got and who won't cost well over £20m and completely smash our wage structure?

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Would be thrilled to see Jay Rod come back.
Buying back players who we only really lost because they were too good for us surely is the ultimate statement of how far we have come.
That's different to sentiment.
No reason why Jay wouldn't have two or three excellent seasons ahead of him.
Be interested to know what WBA fans think, but I think he'd add plenty to our forward line, he's a cleaver player.
We need 4/5 strikers at least that's for sure for the season ahead, especially if we are going to play 2 up top.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Jay was apparently on £60-70k a week at Saints and WBA pay well, so does anyone actually know if our wage structure will allow for that?

He's only been at WBA a year and he's got 3yrs left on his contract, so he's potentially going to cost over £20 million unless he's got a clause in his contract allowing him to move on for either a set fee or a cheap one like Jonny Evans has done.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Probably because people keep spouting they want him back with one of the reasons being he's a local lad :roll:
So? I don't understand why it bothers you so much you need to keep repeating the same thing on every J Rod topic. Very argumentative

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm

I would be happy if we got Jay. I would be even happier if we could get Charlie Austin back. I know he is injury prone but would be a great squad man in place of Wells and Walters.

UTC

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Not sure how anyone can say he isn't good enough for us, never mind 'championship standard'.
Local lad 'left for the money' - despite us being a Championship side and him getting an England call up after leaving. We also got a record fee received didn't we. But yeah, he's got no loyalty haha

See Jack Cork.
- Knows the area
- Knows the club
- Regularly plays well
- Works hard
- Can improve
= Good signing. Whatever the ridiculous amount it may seem at the time.
Cork's fee was seen as over the odds at the time. Now he was an absolute bargain.

The only difference between him leaving and if he was to come back is how much we have improved, he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:05 pm

KRBFC wrote:So? I don't understand why it bothers you so much you need to keep repeating the same thing on every J Rod topic. Very argumentative
It's called having a conversation, try it sometime you might like it.

I'm not adverse to signing him, I've made that clear, if it's the right signing.

I've asked if he's a clear step up in quality compared to what we have.
I've given examples of how players we've signed recently have been a step up to those who've gone, Wood and Gray incase you didn't read it.

As for argumentative, pot kettle.

He's going to cost a fair chunk of money, probably more than Wood did.
His wages were apparently double that of our highest paid player when our cap was £35k a week so potentially we would need to match or exceed £70k a week, or do we think he'd take a paycut to come back here?
He's still got 3 yrs left on his deal at WBA, so see my comment about a potential fee of £20 million plus.

All reasonable things to ask about and consider, so I'm well within my rights to ask if he's worth signing or do people want him because he's a local lad.
I ask the same stuff when people get all misty eyed about Ings.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Jay was apparently on £60-70k a week at Saints and WBA pay well, so does anyone actually know if our wage structure will allow for that?

He's only been at WBA a year and he's got 3yrs left on his contract, so he's potentially going to cost over £20 million unless he's got a clause in his contract allowing him to move on for either a set fee or a cheap one like Jonny Evans has done.
he's set for a 50% pay cut at WBA so beggers can't be choosers.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Sidney1st wrote:Probably because people keep spouting they want him back with one of the reasons being he's a local lad :roll:
And what exactly is your problem with that anyway ? Clearly nobody would want him back solely because of this and nobody is saying that. But bringing someone back who came through our youth system and who loves the club and the town is not a bad thing is it ?

If you don`t think he is good enough that's fine - just say why like others have articulated instead of "spouting" the same old stuff.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm

TVC15 wrote:And what exactly is your problem with that anyway ? Clearly nobody would want him back solely because of this and nobody is saying that. But bringing someone back who came through our youth system and who loves the club and the town is not a bad thing is it ?

If you don`t think he is good enough that's fine - just say why like others have articulated instead of "spouting" the same old stuff.
I haven't said it's a bad thing, nor have I said he isn't good enough.

I asked if he was a clear step above what we have, or do people mainly want him back because he's local?
From the comments on here there is an over riding desire to have him back because he's local, very few have contemplated if he's a clear step up from what we have already.
Yes he's a different player, he's already been declared as the man who can link the midfield and forwards despite not really playing there that often.

We also play a style of football that may not suit him, we've all read the same articles on here about recycling and what Hendrick does in that area etc.
Or are we forgetting that one?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm

What comments suggest that there is an over riding desire to have him back because he's local ?

From what I can see those who would like to see him return are advocating this because they think he is better than at least 3 of our current strikers and they think Jay will give us the extra quality in depth we need with a potential European campaign.

Being a local lad is just a bonus in some peoples eyes because he knows the club and the fans know what a good lad he is. As said what is wrong with that as long as he is good enough which some people think he is ?

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Sidney1st wrote:It's called having a conversation, try it sometime you might like it.

I'm not adverse to signing him, I've made that clear, if it's the right signing.

I've asked if he's a clear step up in quality compared to what we have.
I've given examples of how players we've signed recently have been a step up to those who've gone, Wood and Gray incase you didn't read it.

As for argumentative, pot kettle.

He's going to cost a fair chunk of money, probably more than Wood did.
His wages were apparently double that of our highest paid player when our cap was £35k a week so potentially we would need to match or exceed £70k a week, or do we think he'd take a paycut to come back here?
He's still got 3 yrs left on his deal at WBA, so see my comment about a potential fee of £20 million plus.

All reasonable things to ask about and consider, so I'm well within my rights to ask if he's worth signing or do people want him because he's a local lad.
I ask the same stuff when people get all misty eyed about Ings.
Repeating ''people only want Rodriguez because he's a local lad'' on every Jay Rod thread isn't exactly a conversation starter, is it? In fact your persistent repetitive dross says you're against the signing of Jay Rod.

Why do you need to ask if he's a clear step up? surely you've seen the lad play? ''He's going to cost a fair chunk of money, probably more than Wood did.''
predicting his value suggests you know enough about him to form an opinion on his quality yourself.

As for the finances, who gives a monkeys what he will cost. I've never understood why fans care so much about the finances, it's not coming directly out of your pocket so don't worry about it and leave it in the hands of the business owners who are currently running a profitable business their own way.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm

I couldnt care less if he was born in the shadow of Ewood Park to David and Mrs Dunn. He is a quality player, scores goals, works hard, is affordable and can play in a couple of different positions and, most importantly, will definitely 100% improve our squad.

It's almost like some people don't want us to sgn him specifically because he used to play for Burnley.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm

TVC15 wrote:What comments suggest that there is an over riding desire to have him back because he's local ?
Wondering that myself. There seems to be more folk against signing him in response to a non-existent argument that we should because he's 'one of our own'.

If he was from Exeter and had never been to Lancashire I'd be ok with signing him because he's a pretty good player and seems to be fully fit again. Not sure we're ready to stretch that far financially but I guess we need to wait and see who's leaving first.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm

TVC15 wrote:I`d have him back if the price and wages were right.

And yes part of that is because he is an ex claret. He has a good affiliation with the club and the town and anybody who knows him understands he loves the club and the place.

As for him leaving Burnley - he left when we were nowhere near the level we are now as a club and we were not in a position to turn down £7m from Southampton. Jay is a grounded lad and he is nothing like Charlie Austin for example who has been nothing but an arse about Burnley ever since he left.

Not sure Jay will ever be the player he was before the injury when he had broke into the England squad and was on the verge of a move to Spurs for a lot of money. But I think coming back to his home club under a manager like Dyche in a set up which is so much better than when he left could improve Jay as a player (and he is already better than at least 3 of our strikers)
You'd have him back partly because he's a former player, your own words.
There are other comments from other people, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying by now.

We will just have to bizarrely not see eye to eye on this one, I'm happy to have him back if he's an improvement on what we have, especially due to the potential outlay in fees and wages, that's all you need to worry about.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm

What has impressed me when I've seen J-Rod for WBA on TV is his neatness of control and accurate short passing.

He seems like a replacement for Barnes when we are playing two forwards but without the roughness that Barnes gives and a bit more consistent ball control (although I should add that at times I've been very impressed with Barnes's ball control under pressure this season).
This user liked this post: Sidney1st

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 pm

I'd have him wide left while Brady's not fully fit, we lack goals from wide areas and midfield in general.

Sidney1st

Post by Sidney1st » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:33 pm

KRBFC wrote:Repeating ''people only want Rodriguez because he's a local lad'' on every Jay Rod thread isn't exactly a conversation starter, is it? In fact your persistent repetitive dross says you're against the signing of Jay Rod.

Why do you need to ask if he's a clear step up? surely you've seen the lad play? ''He's going to cost a fair chunk of money, probably more than Wood did.''
predicting his value suggests you know enough about him to form an opinion on his quality yourself.

As for the finances, who gives a monkeys what he will cost. I've never understood why fans care so much about the finances, it's not coming directly out of your pocket so don't worry about it and leave it in the hands of the business owners who are currently running a profitable business their own way.
We've paid £18 million for a championship striker which was the going rate a year ago, so a more experienced PL striker with 3 yrs left on his deal is going to cost more, especially as he's shown he can score at that level and WBA will want to bounce back up at the first effort.
It's almost like you don't understand how transfer fees work...

As for my dross, as you laughingly call it, I'm not against it and I've said it several times now, if it's the right move for all.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Sidney1st wrote:You'd have him back partly because he's a former player, your own words.
There are other comments from other people, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying by now.

We will just have to bizarrely not see eye to eye on this one, I'm happy to have him back if he's an improvement on what we have, especially due to the potential outlay in fees and wages, that's all you need to worry about.
Hells teeth - watching you dig yourself in a hole is quite amusing.

I'm fully aware of what I said - and it is part the reason but would not be relevant at all if I did not think he was good enough. You have said that many people want Jay back just because he is local....when in fact zero people want him back because just for this reason.

As for the money why on earth would I need to worry about that ?

You really can be a bit weird at times.

UpTheBeehole

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Sidney1st wrote:We've paid £18 million for a championship striker which was the going rate a year ago, so a more experienced PL striker with 3 yrs left on his deal is going to cost more, especially as he's shown he can score at that level and WBA will want to bounce back up at the first effort.

As for my dross, as you laughingly call it, I'm not against it and I've said it several times now, if it's the right move for all.
I'll send you a book of first class stamps if Rodriguez goes for more than £18m.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Sidney1st wrote:We've paid £18 million for a championship striker which was the going rate a year ago, so a more experienced PL striker with 3 yrs left on his deal is going to cost more, especially as he's shown he can score at that level and WBA will want to bounce back up at the first effort.

I understand how transfer fees work, I just trust the ones who's job is to decide what we pay for players so I've stopped worrying about it. I'm not sure we actually paid £18M for Wood, we may end up doing in add ons. How much will this years finish earn us? how much do we have in assets? If the board think £20M (random figure) is money well spent for Rodriguez, I have no problem with it. Relegated teams will always sell their best players, it's just the way it works. I'm not sure he'll cost more than Wood due to his age and the fact WBA may be forced to sell.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm

I would have thought that we'd get him for around ( a little higher) what West Brom paid for him.

northernpowerhouse

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Jay's 29 and West Brom are financially in big trouble. I reckon we could get him for £15million including add-ons, if not less. Well worth it.