ARTICLE: Burnley to raid the Baggies?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Burnley to raid the Baggies?

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am

Now been linked with three West Brom players

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-to-raid-the-baggies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8732 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley to raid the Baggies?

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:59 am

Wages, wages, wages!
These folk are paid well beyond their true value!

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:03 am

IanMcL wrote:These folk are paid well beyond their true value!
Not sure that's possible. Their value is whatever someone is willing to pay.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8732 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 am

NottsClaret wrote:Not sure that's possible. Their value is whatever someone is willing to pay.
Agreed, however, the word 'true' assesses that their proper value is much less.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:11 am

Headline should be "" The messiah won't be coming home " For all the talk of him being a home town boy and not wanting to leave us" it would appear that wages trump everything else.

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am

That`s the summer sorted in one fell swoop!!!! Ben Foster could be tempted to be Heaton`s No.2 as well with the promise of Europa Cup home games.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am

I'd be going all out for James McClean, just for the reactions.
These 2 users liked this post: Tribesmen tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 am

As long as we don't take the worst West Brom signing - Alan Pardew

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:19 am

If that really is the case with Jay then we haven't a hope in hell of signing Rondon

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:28 am

ClaretTony wrote:As long as we don't take the worst West Brom signing - Alan Pardew
Do you know something we don't CT ? :D

Seems speculation has started very early this time. Personally wouldn't want Matt Phillips. To inconsistent, but the other 2 would be great acquisitions.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am

ashtonlongsider wrote:Do you know something we don't CT ? :D

Seems speculation has started very early this time. Personally wouldn't want Matt Phillips. To inconsistent, but the other 2 would be great acquisitions.
I bloody hope not
This user liked this post: ashtonlongsider

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:Do you know something we don't CT ? :D

Phillips can be great on his day so i would not rule it out because he certainly has the ability.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Personally id rather invest in youth or overseas prospects.

When Dyche talks about character being an important part of his squad, I think spunking 150k plus a week on 2 or 3 west brom mercaneries goes against that.

I know we have signed from relegated sides before. But to spend so much on three players from the same relegated squad who are either not talented enough, motivated enough or disciplined enough goes against all what Dyche believes in.

Of the three I'd probably take Dawson. But 10m for a backup player of his age seems a lot.

Lets get young, hungry players in. If we go for experience go for Barton types.
These 3 users liked this post: Blackrod boatshed bill claretfern

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Now been linked with three West Brom players

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-to-raid-the-baggies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’d have no problems with any of those three being here next season... I can see Vokes and Wells moving on, we know that we’re short a CB anyway and if we assume that N’Koudou is going back to Tottenham then we’ll need another winger. (Also this would allow JBG) to play more centrally alongside Brady and Lennon and still have backup/rotation available...

The only issue will likely be wages; however as we all know the way that our wages are structured (sensible weekly wage plus very good bonuses) we may be able to sort out some sort of deals.

All three would be improvements to the squad in my opinion. Also I’d imagine that we’d be able to get deals done quickly as West Brom will want to move players on quickly, get money in to see them through the summer- remember how their new chief exec said that for the first time in over 10years they’ll have to rely on an overdraft next year and that their finances were a proper mess....

Fingers crossed!

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Personally id rather invest in youth or overseas prospects.

When Dyche talks about character being an important part of his squad, I think spunking 150k plus a week on 2 or 3 west brom mercaneries goes against that.

I know we have signed from relegated sides before. But to spend so much on three players from the same relegated squad who are either not talented enough, motivated enough or disciplined enough goes against all what Dyche believes in.

Of the three I'd probably take Dawson. But 10m for a backup player of his age seems a lot.

Lets get young, hungry players in. If we go for experience go for Barton types.
Are they mercenaries depending on what club we sign them from? We signed Pope and Gudmundsson from a club who’d been relegated to league 1 they haven’t turned out too bad.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:53 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:I'd be going all out for James McClean, just for the reactions.
Yer would make me laugh just to see what our friend Mr Loyal would had to say :lol:

Now I really do think he would do a very good job for us as I have said before he is a real Dyche kind of player .

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4073 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Phillips can be great on his day so i would not rule it out because he certainly has the ability.
Agreed, get him for a good price and I believe SD would work his special
confidence-boosting magic on him and we'd have a great deal.

Very good player. Grab him.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Why would we 'raid' WBA in Summer? Here is a team that has got itself spectacularly relegated and has only managed 4 wins from 35 matches. Okay I concede that the whole may be worse than the sum of its parts but what is the thinking behind raiding a very bad side to improve ours? They have some decent players, probably badly managed, but some people seem to believe they are in some way better than us when that is clearly not the case, look at the table. They are a shockingly bad side and all their players deserve nothing better than to play in the Championship next season.
These 4 users liked this post: claretfern Claret-On-A-T-Rex evensteadiereddie Jel

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:00 pm

All good players who would stengthen our squad.

I don't think £10m for a sub centre half with Premier League experience is too silly and actually looks decent value to me. Let's not forget Dawson can play right full back too which is a bonus.

Phillips also has some very good attributes. Very fast and a big, physical presence too.

Our market is pretty much the best of the relegated teams and the best of the Chapionship really so no surprise with these links.
This user liked this post: Siddo

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:04 pm

You can't say they're crap just because West Brom got relegated. That's entirely Pardew's fault. I'd take all three. Dawson especially because he can cover two positions. He's surprisingly good going forward from right back.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:08 pm

If we start paying 65k in wages we'll soon end up like Blackburn, Bolton and Sunderland. Every other player in our squad will want a pay rise and that'll be the end of the Prem for many years.
These 3 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin tim_noone Jel

1914tyrone
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by 1914tyrone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm

As things stand we are probably talking about the 4th centre half we are short and a wide replacement for Arfield.
Both of these would do nicely!

the_fat_shearer
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by the_fat_shearer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm

houseboy wrote:Why would we 'raid' WBA in Summer? Here is a team that has got itself spectacularly relegated and has only managed 4 wins from 35 matches. Okay I concede that the whole may be worse than the sum of its parts but what is the thinking behind raiding a very bad side to improve ours? They have some decent players, probably badly managed, but some people seem to believe they are in some way better than us when that is clearly not the case, look at the table. They are a shockingly bad side and all their players deserve nothing better than to play in the Championship next season.
While I see your point, there's no doubting that even if the team is bad, it doesn't mean that they don't have some players who are good enough.
--> I know a team that got relegated from the Prem 3 years ago that had the likes of Mee, Barnes, Vokes and Heaton in it. I hear those players are currently playing for a club challenging for a European spot...

If Jay Rod is out of our financial reach then that's no issue with me, I'd rather we don't risk the club's future as we've shown we can compete without doing that. Phillips would be a decent signing in my opinion and I would back Dyche to get the most out of him. Dawson would be a more than useful addition to the squad.

Personally, I think that if they'd have stuck with Pulis they wouldn't be in this position.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:16 pm

I would certainly be interested in Jayrod and Dawson, no one else.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Are they mercenaries depending on what club we sign them from? We signed Pope and Gudmundsson from a club who’d been relegated to league 1 they haven’t turned out too bad.
Not per se. But this is three players from one of the worse (or most underachieving - neither a good thing) premier league side ever. And definitely one of the most ill disciplined!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3603 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 pm

I think it's irrelevant what has happened at WBA, they have some good players who would fit into our squad - Dawson and Rodriguez, certainly fit that that bill.

I would take Livermore too as competition for Westwood, Cork and Defour - we will have more games to play and with Marney and Arfield moving on we definitely need another central midfielder in my book (particularly as Dyche seems to see Hendrick as a number 10 rather than a dedicated central midfielder these days).

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:53 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not per se. But this is three players from one of the worse (or most underachieving - neither a good thing) premier league side ever. And definitely one of the most ill disciplined!
I see your point but it's a bit of a sweeping statement to say such things about every player at West Brom. And some players have noticably upped their game since Pardew left. Much of this often comes down to the manager at the time. Crystal Palace players were underachieving and showing ill discipline early in the season - would you not want any of their players based on this? Everton? Stoke? etc etc

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I can't understand why anybody would want McLean or Phillips for us.
Neither have a great goal or assist quota.
Admittedly they work hard and throw in an exciting dribble from time to time but they are both to inconsistent for our needs.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm

the_fat_shearer wrote:While I see your point, there's no doubting that even if the team is bad, it doesn't mean that they don't have some players who are good enough.
--> I know a team that got relegated from the Prem 3 years ago that had the likes of Mee, Barnes, Vokes and Heaton in it. I hear those players are currently playing for a club challenging for a European spot...

If Jay Rod is out of our financial reach then that's no issue with me, I'd rather we don't risk the club's future as we've shown we can compete without doing that. Phillips would be a decent signing in my opinion and I would back Dyche to get the most out of him. Dawson would be a more than useful addition to the squad.

Personally, I think that if they'd have stuck with Pulis they wouldn't be in this position.
I know what you mean and you are right about a certain Mee et al. Dawson, to be fair, does seem a decent player. I'm not sure about all the fuss concerning JRod. He WAS a good player for us and has been since he left (probably had the most success of anyone who has recently left) but what of now? Is it a case of people looking back nostalgically at what he once was for us whilst perhaps overlooking what he is now? Is he any better than Wood as it stands? I would say not. Would he get any more goals than Barnes (and that is me being hypocritical considering I thought he should go not that long ago)? Probably not. Is he any better than Vokes at his best? Who knows. If he came back I would trust Dyches' judgement and welcome him back but if he doesn't I ain't gonna be too fussed. I think he would be possibly an expensive bench warmer.
I suppose what I'm saying is that given the money we have now and the lure of (probably) European football next season we should possibly be setting our sights a little higher.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Crystal Palace was 4 games right at the start of the season. I still think the way De Boer was treat wasnt right. Palace have achieved just about what that squad would or should.

I wouldnt take most of their players either. Perhaps Cabaye and probably Milojevic and Sakho. Zaha too if he was realistic but he isn't.

Phillips has his moments. But he has been relegated for every side he has played at in The Premier League - Blackpool, QPR and WBA.
Dawson has been a decent player over the last few years and is a good age for the first team. But he isn't going to dislodge Mee or Tarkowski. So £10m on a backup player seems excessive unless they are in their early 20s.

Rodriguez. Was a good player before his injuries and did very well for us. But we were a different club back then. £65k a week plus a big fee for a 29 year old striker with a history of injuries and a goalscoring record of 1 in 4... Burnley lad or not its not a sound investment IMO.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm

65k/week does sound scary but would Baggies want to pay that in the Championship?
Unless they are looking to boing, boing again they could want him off the books and an arrangement could be reached.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Well we know that Ben Mee, Ashley Barnes, Stephen Ward and Tom Heaton have all been relegated from the Prem, I bet we're all happy if they're here next season.

Doh.. point already been made above. Soz.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:22 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Well we know that Ben Mee, Ashley Barnes, Stephen Ward and Tom Heaton have all been relegated from the Prem, I bet we're all happy if they're here next season.

Doh.. point already been made above. Soz.
Exactly why I said 'But he has been relegated for every side he has played at in The Premier League'

Of course there are exceptions. But Phillips isnt THAT good that we should be focusing our summer business on him and two of his teammates. Especially given we only usually make 3 or 4 signings and Dyche has said as much already.

Anyway. Only my opinion. Que Sera and all that. I am not going to lose sleep over Dyches transfer business. Just hope its a bit more ambitious than Dawson, Phillips and Rodriguez.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Crystal Palace was 4 games right at the start of the season. I still think the way De Boer was treat wasnt right. Palace have achieved just about what that squad would or should.

I wouldnt take most of their players either. Perhaps Cabaye and probably Milojevic and Sakho. Zaha too if he was realistic but he isn't.

Phillips has his moments. But he has been relegated for every side he has played at in The Premier League - Blackpool, QPR and WBA.
Dawson has been a decent player over the last few years and is a good age for the first team. But he isn't going to dislodge Mee or Tarkowski. So £10m on a backup player seems excessive unless they are in their early 20s.

Rodriguez. Was a good player before his injuries and did very well for us. But we were a different club back then. £65k a week plus a big fee for a 29 year old striker with a history of injuries and a goalscoring record of 1 in 4... Burnley lad or not its not a sound investment IMO.
Couldn't agree more. I would prefer players who are hungry to prove themselves and use us as a showcase for some other club to pay them daft money. By all accounts Jay Rod only went to WBA for the huge wages that we wouldn't match. After he's been relegated I'm not sure we should be paying anywhere near that amount now. I don't think the other two players are now an improvement.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 pm

piston broke wrote:65k/week does sound scary but would Baggies want to pay that in the Championship?
Don't most clubs have a relegation clause in players contracts that reduces said wage
in the event of dropping down? Don't know if this applies to WBA, of course,
but wouldn't be surprised.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times

Post by moaninclaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:07 pm

I would be happier if we could go overseas for more players, there are lots of hungry young talent out there who would jump at the chance of PL fame and their wages would not be a concern, as for WBA players, i would leave well alone, we dont need the likes of Dawson, Phillips or Jay, they would cost too much to buy and demand high wages, they come from a very poor team whos confidence is as low as it can get. Stay away Sean.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Phillips would be an improvement on Lennon
Pace as good as AL
Not afraid to take a man on
Good at tracking back and with more height and body strength
Just the type of player Dyche could take to another level ( such as JBG )
Won't be on high wages

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:06 pm

Phillips has never been anywhere near the standard of Lennon.
These 2 users liked this post: moaninclaret randomclaret2

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm

He's four years younger than AL, though.
So plenty of time for SD to bring him on and for him to develop.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Phillips may or may not be as good as Lennon, but surely Lennon will spend a fair few games on the bench when Brady is fit. lots of money for a bench warmer IMO.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 pm

piston broke wrote:65k/week does sound scary but would Baggies want to pay that in the Championship?
Unless they are looking to boing, boing again they could want him off the books and an arrangement could be reached.
Surely WBA won't pay 65k per week to Jay in the Championship. If so they will be in trouble. Particularly as the Chumpy is tough to get out of.

Whatsupdoc
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Whatsupdoc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Would rather raid Southampton than West Brom to be honest
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 pm

I think the point to take as the basis is that Sean Dyche considers the qualities of the individual player, not his current environment. He has no impact on his current environment, but he can have impact on the individual.

I don’t care if WBA get relegated as a measure of whether or not we should raid their squad, I care about the individual player

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 pm

What's our maximum wage - £35-£40k? You would presume Defour is on that.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Our top earners are on more than that now.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Id take Dawson jay rod and ward prowse please and shelvey if possible.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Isnt wood on 80k pw?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:11 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Isnt wood on 80k pw?
plus a bottle of bene and a box of twix per month added on to his contract.

ElectroClaret

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

bartons baggage
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 541 times

Post by bartons baggage » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Isnt wood on 80k pw?
Yeah plus 25k bonus for each goal he scores.