Chris Hughtons comments

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
moaninclaret
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:19 pm
Been Liked: 162 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Chris Hughtons comments

Postby moaninclaret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Hughtons comments about the Burnley fans booing Bong yesterday, he was having a right old moan about it just because his players case against Jay Rod was unproven, He said it was shameful of our fans, but he must have heard his own set of supporters singing a racist song about our town, nothing to say about that though had he? ok Bong did get some stick off our fans but there was no racist remarks aimed at him, unlike their fans calling our town, now that was shameful Mr Hughton.
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper k90bfc

# 2
clarethomer
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:24 am
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby clarethomer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:27 pm

can't believe this is the first time anyone has posted about this....

# 3
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14674
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4793 times
Has Liked: 2702 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm not sure that calling our town "a town full of racists" is racist I've got to be honest.

Nobody else apart from Brighton fans and Houghton appear to want to make anything of this which is a bit of a relief to be honest as its just so silly.

# 4
Barry_Chuckle
Posts: 1301
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:24 pm
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 172 times
Location: Oldfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Barry_Chuckle » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:39 pm

"I'm not sure that calling our town "a town full of racists" is racist I've got to be honest"

And I'm not sure why Booing Bong was deemed to be racist by some :roll:

# 5
turfytopper
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 am
Been Liked: 324 times
Has Liked: 2812 times
Location: Crawley West Sussex

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby turfytopper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm not sure that calling our town "a town full of racists" is racist I've got to be honest.

Nobody else apart from Brighton fans and Houghton appear to want to make anything of this which is a bit of a relief to be honest as its just so silly.


Not right though. Was it racist of Bong to (allegedly) play the race card?

I find the constant "town full of racists" assertion by Brighton's fans pretty offensive at best.

# 6
martintheaker
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 pm
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby martintheaker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:57 pm

turfytopper wrote:Not right though. Was it racist of Bong to (allegedly) play the race card?

I find the constant "town full of racists" assertion by Brighton's fans pretty offensive at best.



Wonder if Hughton will immediately come out and call Brighton fans shameful when they boo Jay Rodriguez next time he faces them.
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

# 7
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3811
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 pm

martintheaker wrote:Wonder if Hughton will immediately come out and call Brighton fans shameful when they boo Jay Rodriguez next time he faces them.


Those nasty racists are only booing him because he's part Spanish.

# 8
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4658
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1390 times
Has Liked: 4270 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I too find it hard to believe this is the first thread on this issue - I'm assuming there has been no previous one or ones that have had to be deleted.
Hughton was being a bit soft, a bit precious. I'm surprised - bearing in mind how Dunk and Murray were detailed to chuck themselves about a bit, narrowly avoiding red cards - that he felt the need to protect his player, a victim of wind-up booing at most.
It did get silly once the Brighton lot started the racist abuse and no, it wasn't right what they got back but, to be fair, they weren't half asking for it.
This user liked this post: Guich

# 9
Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 1436 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:16 pm

Football is going soft when managers complain about opposition fans booing a player for whatever reason.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish JohnMac

# 10
winsomeyen
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:29 am
Been Liked: 44 times
Has Liked: 156 times
Location: brittany France

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby winsomeyen » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 pm

martintheaker wrote:Wonder if Hughton will immediately come out and call Brighton fans shameful when they boo Jay Rodriguez next time he faces them.

Could be by the time they meet again Bong and Jay will have retired.

# 11
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 4000
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1362 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Devils_Advocate » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd like to think if one of our players felt they had been racially abused by an opposition player they would feel confident to report the issue and not feel afraid that the footballing culture in this country would deem them as the bad guy. I also hope if it turned out they were mistaken that they wouldn't be jeered and booed and be made to feel that they were somehow wrong to speak out about what they felt had happened

I know there's a fair few fans on this board whose default position whenever racism is involved is to deny it at all costs and try to defend the alleged racists without any facts or knowledge on the matter so they can paint a picture of a world where we white people are the victims and are the persecuted ones. It is probably this kind of attitude that causes others rightly or wrongly to associate the booing with a racist based outlook rather than just defending the honour of an ex player

It seems if Bong honestly felt Jay was racist towards him then he did the right thing to report it. There was then an opportunity for an independent body to investigate the facts and hear from both parties and conclude there was not evidence that and racial abuse took place. That sounds to be the right process because across the world racist abuse of players is still prevalent and still tolerated and therefore we need to create an environment where players feel comfortable to raise these issues and confident it will get taken seriously and investigated fairly
These 10 users liked this post: martin_p Squarepusher Lancasterclaret evensteadiereddie Spijed Rileybobs Greenmile Cubanclaret mickleoverclaret JohnMcGreal

# 12
SparkyClaret
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:50 pm
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 139 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby SparkyClaret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:48 pm

The “town full of racists” thing did wind me up to be honest, along with a picture from a Brighton fan showing the home stands labelling it 20,000 BNP supporters. It ***** me off that an incident from almost 20 yrs ago still gets used to slate the whole town.

With regards to Hughton’s comments, I can’t really blame him. He was never in a month of Sundays going to say anything that didn’t back up his own player, no manager ever would. I think that all parties should just refrain from further comment, since the FA declared the matter settled.

# 13
ClaretTony
Posts: 30256
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 13750 times
Has Liked: 2670 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretTony » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I'd like to think if one of our players felt they had been racially abused by an opposition player they would feel confident to report the issue and not feel afraid that the footballing culture in this country would deem them as the bad guy. I also hope if it turned out they were mistaken that they wouldn't be jeered and booed and be made to feel that they were somehow wrong to speak out about what they felt had happened

I know there's a fair few fans on this board whose default position whenever racism is involved is to deny it at all costs and try to defend the alleged racists without any facts or knowledge on the matter so they can paint a picture of a world where we white people are the victims and are the persecuted ones. It is probably this kind of attitude that causes others rightly or wrongly to associate the booing with a racist based outlook rather than just defending the honour of an ex player

It seems if Bong honestly felt Jay was racist towards him then he did the right thing to report it. There was then an opportunity for an independent body to investigate the facts and hear from both parties and conclude there was not evidence that and racial abuse took place. That sounds to be the right process because across the world racist abuse of players is still prevalent and still tolerated and therefore we need to create an environment where players feel comfortable to raise these issues and confident it will get taken seriously and investigated fairly


Couldn’t agree more. The only indiscretion from Bong,in my view, was continuing things once the commission had made their decision.
These 4 users liked this post: Barry_Chuckle Thejkr BFCmaj mickleoverclaret

# 14
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4658
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1390 times
Has Liked: 4270 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Very true, DA.
I'd like to think the booing, like mine, was simply to wind the bloke up.
As it turned out, it backfired - he had a tremendous game. Ah well.

# 15
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:28 pm

A whole thread on this was deleted. Why?

It's interesting that certain posters on here just assume that Bong has invented this story, rather than just made a mistake, or God forbid, was telling the truth. This love in for Jay Rod becomes more cringe worthy year on year. If we actually re-sign him, I think one or two on here will literally wet themselves. :(

# 16
bfcjg
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby bfcjg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:29 pm

It wasn't racist booing
It wasn't homophobic booing
It was though halitosisist booing.

# 17
Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 1436 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Couldn’t agree more. The only indiscretion from Bong,in my view, was continuing things once the commission had made their decision.


Bong has done himself no favours because once the verdict was given he received an apology from Jay for his action and for what he had actually said, however. Bong has pursued the matter through the local press by claiming that he knows what he heard etc.
The problem is that, having read the 30 page FA report of the actual proceedings, Bong seemed to suffer from very selective hearing because he stated that he couldn't hear some things which lip readers have stated were said and he also changed his story a few times.
Had he also reciprocated Jay's apology even slightly this should have been an end to the matter, however, he has pursued his agenda through the press so he can't be surprised that he received the treatment he did from a section of the crowd who booed an opposition player and did so in support of a local lad.
Anything which transpired after that was totally unnecessary but was just typical of a football crowd.

# 18
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4462
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1928 times
Has Liked: 4814 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Rick_Muller » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm

It’s like bloody Groundhog Day on here...

# 19
Stayingup
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 275 times
Has Liked: 435 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Stayingup » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm

I find Hughton to be two.faced. Did Dyche comment about the disgraceful behaviour of Murray at the match at their place, which through albeit a silly retaliatory reaction resulted in a ban for Tarks. Or Ulloa when grabbing Tarkowski walking off at HT yesterday. No.because hrs a proper chap.

# 20
Stayingup
Posts: 1741
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 275 times
Has Liked: 435 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Stayingup » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Id love Brighton to be relegated.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

# 21
Thejkr
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:38 am
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Thejkr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Couldn’t agree more. The only indiscretion from Bong,in my view, was continuing things once the commission had made their decision.


Hence the booing. Unfortunately difficult to get that across on the day.

# 22
Thejkr
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:38 am
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Thejkr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:56 pm

martintheaker wrote:Wonder if Hughton will immediately come out and call Brighton fans shameful when they boo Jay Rodriguez next time he faces them.


No mention of the booing of Murray.

# 23
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm

fidelcastro wrote:A whole thread on this was deleted. Why?
(

It would be very helpful, (IMO), if mods always gave a brief explanation why threads were deleted, and indeed - when appropriate - to name and shame those who breached the rules.
In this case, I assume it was deleted because of some unacceptable homophobic comments, which were principally directed at Brighton fans, but would cause offense to most people living in 2018.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

# 24
turfytopper
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 am
Been Liked: 324 times
Has Liked: 2812 times
Location: Crawley West Sussex

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby turfytopper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:28 pm

martintheaker wrote:Wonder if Hughton will immediately come out and call Brighton fans shameful when they boo Jay Rodriguez next time he faces them.


No I bet he doesn't...and can you imagine their fans reaction if he's playing or us?

# 25
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3811
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:34 pm

turfytopper wrote:No I bet he doesn't...and can you imagine their fans reaction if he's playing or us?


Can't wait to play them again next year with him in our side
This user liked this post: turfytopper

# 26
Lord Rothbury
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 am
Been Liked: 105 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Lord Rothbury » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Why do so many people get embarrassed or upset by what is shouted/sung/chanted at a football matchs it is not a tea party at the local vicarage. Stay away from football if you are so sensitive .
This user liked this post: Stayingup

# 27
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:Why do so many people get embarrassed or upset by what is shouted/sung/chanted at a football matchs it is not a tea party at the local vicarage. Stay away from football if you are so sensitive .

Maybe some of us just go to watch a good game and support our team?
Maybe there are a lot of impressionable children at the match?
(Just 2 thoughts)
This user liked this post: Guich

# 28
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Thejkr wrote:Hence the booing. Unfortunately difficult to get that across on the day.


Like he wouldn't have been booed anyway?! :lol:

# 29
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 pm

The general consensus is that neither Jay nor Bing Bong did anything wrong. Bong genuinely thought Jay had said something racist and Jay said he genuinely did not.

The verdict was that nothing was proven - it wasn't that Jay was not guilty...even though many of us are pretty sure he wasn't.

I'm surprised Bong got so much stick. And yes Burnley has more than its fair share of racist people.

However, yesterday our fans were not being racist by booing Bong - and unless Hughton heard racist comments or monkey chants etc he should not have said that and someone from the club should be making an official complaint about what he said.

If you call a player racist then there is an enquiry - what's the difference if you call fans racist ?

Used to think Hughton was alright but he’s gone way down in my estimation with these comments.

# 30
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:57 pm

TVC15 wrote:The general consensus is that neither Jay nor Bing Bong did anything wrong. Bong genuinely thought Jay had said something racist and Jay said he genuinely did not.

The verdict was that nothing was proven - it wasn't that Jay was not guilty...even though many of us are pretty sure he wasn't.

I'm surprised Bong got so much stick. And yes Burnley has more than its fair share of racist people.

However, yesterday our fans were not being racist by booing Bong - and unless Hughton heard racist comments or monkey chants etc he should not have said that and someone from the club should be making an official complaint about what he said.

If you call a player racist then there is an enquiry - what's the difference if you call fans racist ?

Used to think Hughton was alright but he’s gone way down in my estimation with these comments.


Did Hughton actually call our fans racist though?

If he did, then he should have the book thrown at him, but I just thought he'd said that the booing of Bong was OTT and unacceptable.

I didn't boo him personally, but it's the usual tribal ******** that football fans resort to, unfortunately. :roll:

# 31
Lord Rothbury
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 am
Been Liked: 105 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Lord Rothbury » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Maybe some of us just go to watch a good game and support our team?
Maybe there are a lot of impressionable children at the match?
(Just 2 thoughts)

As I said attending football matches may not be the best use of your leasure time .

# 32
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Maybe he didn’t directly but lots of Brighton fans were calling our fans racist and Hughton was aware that saying the behaviour was “shameful” would stir up the stereotypical views that our fans were being racist.

He would not have said it was shameful if we would have been booing Duffy for being an ex Blackburn player
This user liked this post: turfytopper

# 33
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5212
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:As I said attending football matches may not be the best use of your leasure time .

So you don't think children should attend matches then?
I thought we were a family club?
(EDIT: And having checked back, you didn't even say that at all)
Last edited by nil_desperandum on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

# 34
bfcjg
Posts: 4840
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 pm
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby bfcjg » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 pm


# 35
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:Maybe he didn’t directly but lots of Brighton fans were calling our fans racist and Hughton was aware that saying the behaviour was “shameful” would stir up the stereotypical views that our fans were being racist.

He would not have said it was shameful if we would have been booing Duffy for being an ex Blackburn player


Hughton isn't representative of Brighton's fans, so I doubt he's even implying that our fans are racist.

He's simply defending his own player, as someone who knows him, and believes he hasn't done anything wrong. Whether he has or not, I doubt we'll ever know, but booing him was OTT in my opinion.

Your point about Duffy is a moot one, as I don't think he was booed all afternoon.

# 36
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:22 pm

No I know he wasn’t - but I am saying I would have been amazed if Hughton would have called Burnley fans shameful if we would have booed him.

Personally I think Hughton should have said nothing about it after the game. We all know he supported Bong about the case and like I said I do not think Bong did a lot wrong if he genuinely thought Jay had said something racist.

Burnley fans booing Bong was not shameful - it was a bit OTT to carry it on throughout the game but pretty typical of most football crowds to do this kind of thing and Hughton with how long he has been in the game must have seen it hundreds of times.

# 37
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm

You concede that the booing was OTT, but then expect Hughton not to mention it.

Righto then. Your opinion.

# 38
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8437
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3990 times
Has Liked: 476 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:27 pm

They're absolute weirdos on that Brighton forum........


It is ridiculous that a Black Manager is the only one who comes out and condemns this.

# 39
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:36 pm

fidelcastro wrote:You concede that the booing was OTT, but then expect Hughton not to mention it.

Righto then. Your opinion.


I said a bit OTT actually.
I don’t think Hughton should have mentioned it no. It’s just dragging out the whole episode. This will now go on into next seasons game no doubt.

Dyche did not mention that their fans were singing about our fans being racist.

# 40
Somethingfishy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Somethingfishy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:44 pm

There was one comment on their forum that really summed up the Brighton fans and their snowflake attitudes. One guy claimed the lip readers definitely found that Jay said garlic (presumably garlic breathe) to Bong. He then went on to relate this to him mocking the french and because Bong speaks french he then said it could be a grey area and possibly racist. How on earth does saying garlic even resemble being a grey area and possible racism? What planet are they on?
They have no evidence but seem determined to paint Jay as a racist..which in my mind is totally out of order. They don't seem to comprehend the ramifications of just the accusation on his career nevermind it was never proven. Bong is equally culpable in perpetuating the nonsense after the inquiry had given their verdict.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

# 41
boatshed bill
Posts: 4818
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1011 times
Has Liked: 2275 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby boatshed bill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:45 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:So you don't think children should attend matches then?
I thought we were a family club?
(EDIT: And having checked back, you didn't even say that at all)


So what are kids OK with?

"The referees a w@nker""?
"Fork of back to (insert loaning club), you lazy b@stad"?

Booing is so much more offensive.

# 42
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:46 pm

TVC15 wrote:I said a bit OTT actually.
I don’t think Hughton should have mentioned it no. It’s just dragging out the whole episode. This will now go on into next seasons game no doubt.

Dyche did not mention that their fans were singing about our fans being racist.


I'm sure it would have dragged on into next season anyway, especially if Jay "butter wouldn't melt" Rodriguez re-signs for us.

Dyche also didn't mention our fans singing about Brighton's fans being "limp wristed" shall we say?

I thought the booing was embarrassing, not just OTT. :(

# 43
TVC15
Posts: 5425
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Lots of what football fans sing or say is embarrassing. I’ve heard a lot worse things sang or said by Burnley (and other teams) fans which did embarrass me.....but can’t say this fell into that category.

Hughton did not say anything about the homophobic songs because he must hear this every week.

Not sure why you have the opinion you do about Jay Rod - if you knew anything at all about his family background then you would know that coming out with a racist comment is the very last thing that he or any of his family would do.
Last edited by TVC15 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

# 44
Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 913 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:55 pm

fidelcastro wrote:I'm sure it would have dragged on into next season anyway, especially if Jay "butter wouldn't melt" Rodriguez re-signs for us.

Dyche also didn't mention our fans singing about Brighton's fans being "limp wristed" shall we say?

I thought the booing was embarrassing, not just OTT. :(


‘Jay “butter wouldn’t melt” Rodriguez’ reads as if you somehow know something the FA don’t or you have witnessed something else he’s done in the past?

# 45
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8437
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3990 times
Has Liked: 476 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:55 pm

fidelcastro wrote:I'm sure it would have dragged on into next season anyway, especially if Jay "butter wouldn't melt" Rodriguez re-signs for us.



I see that you've made your mind up that Bong was telling the truth then with no evidence.

# 46
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:‘Jay “butter wouldn’t melt” Rodriguez’ reads as if you somehow know something the FA don’t or you have witnessed something else he’s done in the past?


Not at all. I'm just referring to the attitudes some have on here, that the accusation made by Bong can't possibly be true because it's Jay Rodriguez who used to play for us, until he got a better offer.

I've already stated further up the thread that I've no idea whether Bong had done anything wrong or not. A bit like the FA panel in that regard.

# 47
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I see that you've made your mind up that Bong was telling the truth then with no evidence.


I refer the right honourable gentleman to the comment i made some moments ago. :)

# 48
Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 2836
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 913 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:03 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Not at all. I'm just referring to the attitudes some have on here, that the accusation made by Bong can't possibly be true because it's Jay Rodriguez who used to play for us, until he got a better offer.

I've already stated further up the thread that I've no idea whether Bong had done anything wrong or not. A bit like the FA panel in that regard.


Your ‘butter wouldn’t melt’ comment is very odd then. As is ‘he used to play for us until he got a better offer’. Has he wronged you in the past?

# 49
Spijed
Posts: 9676
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 pm
Been Liked: 1748 times
Has Liked: 759 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Spijed » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:There was one comment on their forum that really summed up the Brighton fans and their snowflake attitudes. One guy claimed the lip readers definitely found that Jay said garlic (presumably garlic breathe) to Bong. He then went on to relate this to him mocking the french and because Bong speaks french he then said it could be a grey area and possibly racist. How on earth does saying garlic even resemble being a grey area and possible racism? What planet are they on?
They have no evidence but seem determined to paint Jay as a racist..which in my mind is totally out of order. They don't seem to comprehend the ramifications of just the accusation on his career nevermind it was never proven. Bong is equally culpable in perpetuating the nonsense after the inquiry had given their verdict.


What do you expect Brighton fans to do when their own player hasn't done anything illegal?

Condemn him?

# 50
fidelcastro
Posts: 2932
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 951 times
Has Liked: 919 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Your ‘butter wouldn’t melt’ comment is very odd then. As is ‘he used to play for us until he got a better offer’. Has he wronged you in the past?


No. I rated him as a player for us, and still do rate him.

However this love-in is a strange one for a player who jumped ship at the first opportunity, and according to many who did indeed know him personally growing up, was a Man. United fan in any case, so not really "one of our own" afterall.

Would I want us to re-sign him? Well, certainly we could do a lot lot worse.

Would I be devastated if we didn't? No, certainly not. Not with his injury record and now bad publicity, however unfortunate that may have been.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CJW, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], The Enclosure and 34 guests