Chris Hughtons comments

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 pm

“bad publicity”

Really ? - that’s a factor in you deciding whether you would want to sign Jay ?

How did you feel then when we signed Joey Barton ? Did you need counselling ?!!

# 2
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8437
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3990 times
Has Liked: 476 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm

It's a bit like the posters on here who cry racist every 5 minutes. It gets thrown about that much that it's lost all of its true meaning.

It also seems to trump absolutely everything and folk get tarred with it without any evidence.

Rodriguez is probably guilty of being a childish sod.
These 3 users liked this post: boatshed bill Steve-Harpers-perm Guich

# 3
boatshed bill
Posts: 4801
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2265 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby boatshed bill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

If Bong had called Jay "Black Pudding breath" would it have been an issue? I very much doubt it.

# 4
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5205
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2266 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm

boatshed bill wrote:So what are kids OK with?

"The referees a w@nker""?
"Fork of back to (insert loaning club), you lazy b@stad"?

Booing is so much more offensive.

I think you've missed my point, but maybe amongst all the other stuff that understandable.
I never suggested in the slightest that booing was offensive - (though context is everything). Booing pantomime villains is part of the fun of going to the theatre, and football is not that distant from that.
I was referring to homophobic chanting and some of the other "racist" stuff that some individuals come out with.
Quite a lot of the booing directed at Bong was pretty much of the "pantomime villain" type, but there was also quite a lot of personal abuse levelled at him, (from what I read on yesterday's deleted thread, and from what I could hear from my seat).
Children might well experience language in a football stadium that they haven't come across outside it, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and anything violent, homophobic or racist crosses that line.

# 5
randomclaret2
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:04 pm
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby randomclaret2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Chris Hughton is approaching sainthood with most of the media

# 6
fidelcastro
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 950 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:27 pm

TVC15 wrote:“bad publicity”

Really ? - that’s a factor in you deciding whether you would want to sign Jay ?

How did you feel then when we signed Joey Barton ? Did you need counselling ?!!


No. I was glad that Barton turned out to be a key player for us, and despite his many misdemeanours in the past, he hadn't, to my knowledge, been accused of racism.

That's why I used the term "unfortunate" in the previous post, as I've no idea whether he said what is alleged by Bong or not.

The only person who really knows what was said and meant by Jay is Jay himself.

However, our fans on Saturday decided they were going to be judge, jury and executioner. :(

# 7
Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 2828
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 911 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Chris Hughton is approaching sainthood with most of the media


And a few Burnley fans judging some comments on here!

# 8
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8437
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3990 times
Has Liked: 476 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm

fidelcastro wrote:However, our fans on Saturday decided they were going to be judge, jury and executioner. :(


As we always have been as long as I've been going t'Turf.

# 9
fidelcastro
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 950 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:And a few Burnley fans judging some comments on here!


If you mean me, I can assure you that I'm largely ambivalent towards Chris Hughton. :|

# 10
LoveCurryPies
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:00 am
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby LoveCurryPies » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 pm

I suspect Jay and his family will find yesterdays booing to be embarassing and uncalled for especially in their name. When the club is flying high and attracting so much positive coverage, yesterday really was a sad event by a few childish supporters.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

# 11
Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 2828
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 911 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 pm

fidelcastro wrote:No. I was glad that Barton turned out to be a key player for us, and despite his many misdemeanours in the past, he hadn't, to my knowledge, been accused of racism.

That's why I used the term "unfortunate" in the previous post, as I've no idea whether he said what is alleged by Bong or not.

The only person who really knows what was said and meant by Jay is Jay himself.

However, our fans on Saturday decided they were going to be judge, jury and executioner. :(


Joey Barton who was convicted in a court of law of his offences against Jay Rod who has been accused by a fellow professional of something he did or didn’t say? If one of Barton’s many offences included racism I presume you would have sent your season ticket back?

# 12
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Ok - so you are ok with the bad publicity that Joey brings from things he actually got convicted of and served time for but you are not ok with an accusation of racism which was not proven ?

That’s a tad inconsistent to say the least - are you sure you don’t have anything against Jay ? It really does sound like you do.

# 13
fidelcastro
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 950 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Joey Barton who was convicted in a court of law of his offences against Jay Rod who has been accused by a fellow professional of something he did or didn’t say? If one of Barton’s many offences included racism I presume you would have sent your season ticket back?


No, because I believe in second chances for people. If Jay Rod had have been found guilty, I'd have still felt the same about us re-signing him.

I'm not one of these reactionaries who would have banned him for life. :roll:

# 14
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8437
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 3990 times
Has Liked: 476 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I suspect Jay and his family will find yesterdays booing to be embarassing and uncalled for especially in their name. When the club is flying high and attracting so much positive coverage, yesterday really was a sad event by a few childish supporters.



I'll bet the absolute opposite to that.

# 15
Steve-Harpers-perm
Posts: 2828
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:52 am
Been Liked: 911 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 pm

fidelcastro wrote:No, because I believe in second chances for people. If Jay Rod had have been found guilty, I'd have still felt the same about us re-signing him.

I'm not one of these reactionaries who would have banned him for life. :roll:


As above your comments come across as you’ve got something against him.

# 16
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 pm

fidelcastro wrote:No, because I believe in second chances for people. If Jay Rod had have been found guilty, I'd have still felt the same about us re-signing him.

I'm not one of these reactionaries who would have banned him for life. :roll:


Sorry ? You just said you would not be bothered if we did not sign him partly because of his bad publicity

Which part of that equates to giving people a second chance ?

# 17
fidelcastro
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 950 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 pm

TVC15 wrote:Ok - so you are ok with the bad publicity that Joey brings from things he actually got convicted of and served time for but you are not ok with an accusation of racism which was not proven ?

That’s a tad inconsistent to say the least - are you sure you don’t have anything against Jay ? It really does sound like you do.


I can assure you I don't have anything against Rodriguez, who as I've previously stated was a player I rated when here, and continue to rate.

I've also stated that I'm not completely against the re-signing of him, just like I wasn't with Barton.

I'm not sure what's so difficult about that to comprehend. No further comment from me.

# 18
boatshed bill
Posts: 4801
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2265 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby boatshed bill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I think you've missed my point, but maybe amongst all the other stuff that understandable.
I never suggested in the slightest that booing was offensive - (though context is everything). Booing pantomime villains is part of the fun of going to the theatre, and football is not that distant from that.
I was referring to homophobic chanting and some of the other "racist" stuff that some individuals come out with.
Quite a lot of the booing directed at Bong was pretty much of the "pantomime villain" type, but there was also quite a lot of personal abuse levelled at him, (from what I read on yesterday's deleted thread, and from what I could hear from my seat).
Children might well experience language in a football stadium that they haven't come across outside it, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and anything violent, homophobic or racist crosses that line.


OK, ND, but I still think that the abuse directed at officials in particular, accentuated by the obscene language used, sets an ultimately bad example to young people. it's more prevalent and much more venomous...in my opinion, anyway.

# 19
fidelcastro
Posts: 2919
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 pm
Been Liked: 950 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby fidelcastro » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:Sorry ? You just said you would not be bothered if we did not sign him partly because of his bad publicity

Which part of that equates to giving people a second chance ?


Indeed. I could live with us re-signing him, but the bad publicity would make us a target from other Club's fans, as all being labelled a bunch of neanderthal racists. It's a poisonous trait that I could do without witnessing on a match day. However, if the Club can live with that too, then fine.

# 20
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5205
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2266 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm

boatshed bill wrote:OK, ND, but I still think that the abuse directed at officials in particular, accentuated by the obscene language used, sets an ultimately bad example to young people. it's more prevalent and much more venomous...in my opinion, anyway.

I don't disagree with you - broadly. Abusing officials is more prevalent, but I'm not certain it can be described as more venomous than racially abusing someone, (but I would also agree that racial abuse of players is far less prevalent nowadays.)
I think we can all agree that it is unfortunate that Bong is not "white". The booing of him could / would not have then been open misinterpretation.

# 21
LoveCurryPies
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:00 am
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby LoveCurryPies » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I'll bet the absolute opposite to that.



Burnley fans showed their support for Jay (on social media) from the moment the accusations were made. No doubt he and his family received many direct messages of support during that period. Yesterday was unnecessary.

# 22
boatshed bill
Posts: 4801
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2265 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby boatshed bill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I don't disagree with you - broadly. Abusing officials is more prevalent, but I'm not certain it can be described as more venomous than racially abusing someone, (but I would also agree that racial abuse of players is far less prevalent nowadays.)
I think we can all agree that it is unfortunate that Bong is not "white". The booing of him could / would not have then been open misinterpretation.


I'm with you on this. The booing could have been a bit of fun, we've all booed certain players for various reasons.
Not sure the booing of Bong is actually a racist act myself.

# 23
Guich
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 457 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Guich » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:I'm surprised Bong got so much stick. And yes Burnley has more than its fair share of racist people.



Where the hell do you get that sweeping statement from? I was annoyed by the Brighton fans chant yesterday. To be called a racist is, in my opinion, about as bad as it gets. So there's no need for you to join in.

Have you ever been to Millwall, Stoke, Russia, Scotland...?

'Burnley has more than its fair share of racist people' :?

# 24
D8BFC
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby D8BFC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 pm

I've not read the whole thread, but i assume Hughton will say the same thing if/when Brighton next play against Jay and their fans boo him?????

# 25
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Indeed. I could live with us re-signing him, but the bad publicity would make us a target from other Club's fans, as all being labelled a bunch of neanderthal racists. It's a poisonous trait that I could do without witnessing on a match day. However, if the Club can live with that too, then fine.


To be honest we both know that the club and town will be labelled as a bunch of Neanderthal racists for many years to come irrespective of something Jay was not proven of doing.

And we also know that the town unfortunately has more of its fair share of racists so to a degree it’s a deserved reputation.

If Hughton had heard some genuinely racist comments from the crowd then I wish he would have come out and said this - as this would have been quite rightly described as “shameful”

# 26
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 pm

TVC15 wrote:To be honest we both know that the club and town will be labelled as a bunch of Neanderthal racists for many years to come irrespective of something Jay was not proven of doing.

And we also know that the town unfortunately has more of its fair share of racists so to a degree it’s a deserved reputation.

If Hughton had heard some genuinely racist comments from the crowd then I wish he would have come out and said this - as this would have been quite rightly described as “shameful”


He didn't, because there wasn't, if he did, we'd know about it.

The media will have been dying to credit yesterday due to racism if they had even a shred of evidence to utilise. But because there was none, they had to just make half hearted insinuations about booing instead.
Last edited by ClaretMoffitt on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

# 27
BurnleyFC
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 241 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby BurnleyFC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Your ‘butter wouldn’t melt’ comment is very odd then. As is ‘he used to play for us until he got a better offer’. Has he wronged you in the past?

He once told him his breath honked.

# 28
Guich
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 457 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Guich » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 pm

TV - will you stop it please.
Burnley is not a town full of racists, no matter what a bunch of southern idiots may want to believe.

# 29
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Guich wrote:Where the hell do you get that sweeping statement from? I was annoyed by the Brighton fans chant yesterday. To be called a racist is, in my opinion, about as bad as it gets. So there's no need for you to join in.

Have you ever been to Millwall, Stoke, Russia, Scotland...?

'Burnley has more than its fair share of racist people' :?


Are you serious ?
Where did I get this from ?
Maybe it’s from the high number of EDL and BNP people who live in our town.
Maybe it’s from hearing many examples of racism on the Turf over many years.
Maybe it’s from meeting many racist people in Burnley.

Where did I say that I thought Burnley was more racist than Millwall or Russia ? I said we had “more than it’s fair share of racist people”

Sorry if you don’t think that is correct - do you have some kind of rationale which suggests we have less than our share of racists or an “average” number of racists ?

# 30
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 pm

TVC15 wrote:Are you serious ?
Where did I get this from ?
Maybe it’s from the high number of EDL and BNP people who live in our town.
Maybe it’s from hearing many examples of racism on the Turf over many years.
Maybe it’s from meeting many racist people in Burnley.

Where did I say that I thought Burnley was more racist than Millwall or Russia ? I said we had “more than it’s fair share of racist people”

Sorry if you don’t think that is correct - do you have some kind of rationale which suggests we have less than our share of racists or an “average” number of racists ?


I literally don't know a single person in or involved with the BNP or EDL and I've lived here all my life.

# 31
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Guich wrote:TV - will you stop it please.
Burnley is not a town full of racists, no matter what a bunch of southern idiots may want to believe.


Who said it was a town “full” of racists ?
I already said that I do not think that Hughton should have said anything on the booing because I agree that people will associate this with racism when I am hoping for the vast majority of those booing it was not.

# 32
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:I literally don't know a single person in or involved with the BNP or EDL and I've lived here all my life.


And so have I lived here all my life.
If you genuinely do not know anyone in Burnley who voted for or is involved with the BNP then that’s great. I know of plenty - which is not that surprising given the thousands who supported them.

Glad you don’t know anyone in the EDL either - you are lucky. Again I am aware of plenty - a few of them who unfortunately sat next to us one season in the Lower Jimmy Mac.

# 33
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:And so have I lived here all my life.
If you genuinely do not know anyone in Burnley who voted for or is involved with the BNP then that’s great. I know of plenty - which is not that surprising given the thousands who supported them.

Glad you don’t know anyone in the EDL either - you are lucky. Again I am aware of plenty - a few of them who unfortunately sat next to us one season in the Lower Jimmy Mac.


I mean I obviously can't say I know who they voted for but I definitely don't know anyone who has openly done so.

# 34
TVC15
Posts: 5424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2126 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby TVC15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:18 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:I mean I obviously can't say I know who they voted for but I definitely don't know anyone who has openly done so.


You never had a drink in a pub in Cliviger before ?!!!

# 35
Ashingtonclaret46
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 1436 times
Location: Ashington, Northumberland

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Who was the founder of the BNP and where did he live?
John Tyndall, who died in 2005, at his home in Hove which is right next door to................

If Bong had not perpetuated this whole affair after the FA verdict there should have been nothing to talk about, however, he is still following his agenda and his manager obviously backs him with this. It is all very sad.

# 36
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 pm

TVC15 wrote:You never had a drink in a pub in Cliviger before ?!!!


Bit posh for me, more of a prinny Royal type of guy.

# 37
Guich
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:35 pm
Been Liked: 457 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Guich » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:27 pm

TVC15 wrote:Are you serious ?
Where did I get this from ?
Maybe it’s from the high number of EDL and BNP people who live in our town.
Maybe it’s from hearing many examples of racism on the Turf over many years.
Maybe it’s from meeting many racist people in Burnley.

Where did I say that I thought Burnley was more racist than Millwall or Russia ? I said we had “more than it’s fair share of racist people”

Sorry if you don’t think that is correct - do you have some kind of rationale which suggests we have less than our share of racists or an “average” number of racists ?


I don't know but I just think it's easy stereotyping. You can find things you are looking for anywhere you like.

I for one am proud of being from Burnley.

# 38
Somethingfishy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Somethingfishy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Spijed wrote:What do you expect Brighton fans to do when their own player hasn't done anything illegal?

Condemn him?


Not at all and i don't see the inference that i do think that. I was merely pointing out that this guy pointed out that Jay said garlic and by some weird connection he inferred saying that had possible racist undertones. Which i and many others i would presume would find quite bizarre. The case was not proven which means that by the age old custom of innocent until proven guilty that he has done nothing wrong and isn't a racist. Unfortunately many of the comments from Brighton fans would seem to suggest that they think he is which is a disgrace considering it is a serious allegation.

Bong was also cleared of not doing it maliciously. Which i also accept it probably right.

# 39
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5205
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2266 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Guich wrote:I don't know but I just think it's easy stereotyping. You can find things you are looking for anywhere you like.

I for one am proud of being from Burnley.

I share your pride, (I honestly do), but ...
In the 2001, 2005 and 2010 general elections more votes were cast for the BNP in Burnley than in virtually any other Parliamentary constituency.
In the 2002 local elections the BNP average share of votes nationally was 16%. Three BNP candidates were elected for the first time in Burnley with an average share of 28.1%.
Later in Burnley, the number of councillors increased, making the BNP - briefly - the second largest party and the official opposition on the council.
At the time many who voted BNP said it was simply a "protest" vote and they didn't really support their extreme racist / fascist views, but most "thinking people" worked out that it would not go unnoticed by the country as a whole, and we would be tainted.
BNP support has fallen in the town since then, but I'm afraid that nationally people have long memories and mud sticks.

# 40
Somethingfishy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Somethingfishy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:10 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I share your pride, (I honestly do), but ...
In the 2001, 2005 and 2010 general elections more votes were cast for the BNP in Burnley than in virtually any other Parliamentary constituency.
In the 2002 local elections the BNP average share of votes nationally was 16%. Three BNP candidates were elected for the first time in Burnley with an average share of 28.1%.
Later in Burnley, the number of councillors increased, making the BNP - briefly - the second largest party and the official opposition on the council.
At the time many who voted BNP said it was simply a "protest" vote and they didn't really support their extreme racist / fascist views, but most "thinking people" worked out that it would not go unnoticed by the country as a whole, and we would be tainted.
BNP support has fallen in the town since then, but I'm afraid that nationally people have long memories and mud sticks.


I agree and it does stick and despite the BNP getting in did they achieve anything to change the socio-economic issues that caused the protest vote? No in short.
The problem is people from outside the local area have no concept of what caused people to vote BNP as a protest vote and i would hazard a guess that to a very large percentage it was just that. A kick to the establishment in the town that has backfired.
The problem that arises is that racists from other towns latch on to this statistic and think Burnley is rich pickings in helping them to establish their agenda. The EDL being a prime example.
I actually don't think Burnley has anymore racists than any comparable size town. Burnleys problem is that the mainstream partys have let the town down and done very little to improve things. This allows these people to gain a foothold.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

# 41
Lancasterclaret
Posts: 14649
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:09 pm
Been Liked: 4787 times
Has Liked: 2693 times
Location: Riding the galactic winds in my X-wing

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 pm

Think you have nailed it there mate

People forget that it had a Lib Dem MP in that time as well which is a lot more significant that a few BNP councillors.

# 42
Cubanclaret
Posts: 842
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:35 am
Been Liked: 204 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Cubanclaret » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 pm

Interesting comments from ‘kick it out’ and not in favour of yesterday’s going on.

Kick It Out believes all allegations of discrimination must follow a fair and transparent process for all parties involved and the organisation accepts the ‘not proven’ ruling made by The FA, due to insufficient evidence.


“However, it it is important to acknowledge that an allegation found ‘not proven’ does not mean that the complainant has lied or acted in bad faith.

“Kick It Out fully supports the decision by Gaetan Bong to report the alleged incident and encourages any player who believes they have been the target of discriminatory abuse to do the same.”

# 43
IanMcL
Posts: 14228
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 2790 times
Has Liked: 3081 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby IanMcL » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 am

Bong had every right, if he thought he had been racially abused. However, first step...."Did you just call me a...?" No I called you a... or yes I called you a ....

You then take the appropriate action - which could be nothing.
Having made an I correct accusation, without such a check and causing such anqmguish to the accuser, one should be first to apologise and move on. I dread this Bong did not accept he had misheard - despite clear evidence.
.I conclude that Bong is now fanning the flames of racism.

Booing for causing grief to a local hero...least we could do!

# 44
Somethingfishy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Somethingfishy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 am

IanMcL wrote:Bong had every right, if he thought he had been racially abused. However, first step...."Did you just call me a...?" No I called you a... or yes I called you a ....

You then take the appropriate action - which could be nothing.
Having made an I correct accusation, without such a check and causing such anqmguish to the accuser, one should be first to apologise and move on. I dread this Bong did not accept he had misheard - despite clear evidence.
.I conclude that Bong is now fanning the flames of racism.

Booing for causing grief to a local hero...least we could do!


Indeed..there a lot of unanswered questions regarding how Bong behaved both at the time and whilst the case was being assessed. Visiting social media whilst there is an inquiry impending is extremely unprofessional. Almost as if he was creating the layers that would impress the panel. Jay alludes to this in his statement after the result of the inquiry. As for his statement after the judgement it reads as though he is totally in disagreement with the decision and is still accusing. Again totally out of order. Mouth shut..move on..he was incapable. I can only imagine if he had said anything else then Jays lawyers would have taken him to the cleaners.

# 45
CardyTheClaret
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 am
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 89 times
Location: Barrowford

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby CardyTheClaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am

TVC15 wrote:Are you serious ?
Where did I get this from ?
Maybe it’s from the high number of EDL and BNP people who live in our town.
Maybe it’s from hearing many examples of racism on the Turf over many years.
Maybe it’s from meeting many racist people in Burnley.

Where did I say that I thought Burnley was more racist than Millwall or Russia ? I said we had “more than it’s fair share of racist people”

Sorry if you don’t think that is correct - do you have some kind of rationale which suggests we have less than our share of racists or an “average” number of racists ?


I think this may say more about you, or the people you hang around with then. As Moffitt says, I’ve lived around Burnley all my life and don’t know anybody who supports the EDL or BNP.

# 46
JohnMcGreal
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 am
Been Liked: 949 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby JohnMcGreal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:55 am

Somethingfishy wrote:Brighton fans and their snowflake attitudes.


Just for a bit of balance, this is the 96th post on a thread of Burnley fans complaining about Chris Hughton's comments about them.

The previous 3 page thread of the same nature was deleted over the weekend.

I think it's a fair to say that football fans in general are some of the most precious snowflakes around. It seems a bit daft to single out the fans of any club.

# 47
Caernarfon_Claret
Posts: 4800
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am
Been Liked: 1328 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:I literally don't know a single person in or involved with the BNP or EDL and I've lived here all my life.



I suspect both of your opinions are valid as you both seem to have anecdotal evidence to back up your arguments.

# 48
ClaretMoffitt
Posts: 3810
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby ClaretMoffitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:08 am

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:I suspect both of your opinions are valid as you both seem to have anecdotal evidence to back up your arguments.


And you suspect I'm lying based on what "anecdotal evidence" may I ask?

# 49
nil_desperandum
Posts: 5205
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:06 pm
Been Liked: 1249 times
Has Liked: 2266 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby nil_desperandum » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:31 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:I think this may say more about you, or the people you hang around with then. As Moffitt says, I’ve lived around Burnley all my life and don’t know anybody who supports the EDL or BNP.

See posts 89 and 90.
Fair enough, you may not personally be aware of anybody, but there's a lot of evidence that in recent times there were plenty who voted for the former.
And as recently as 2013 2 EDL members from Burnley were jailed for racist violence against Asians, (including a young girl), on Church St Burnley

# 50
Culmclaret
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 pm
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Postby Culmclaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:42 am

Storm in a teacup. Time to move on.

Funniest thing I heard about it was a Brighton fan on Talk Sport saying that we should be made to play our last home game behind closed doors.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”