Chris Hughtons comments

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Re: Chris Hughtons comments

Post by Walton » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 am

If Burnley wants to rid itself of its racist reputation, racists need to stop being racist.

I posted after the Chelsea that I'd seen a bloke (bald head, big beard, sunglasses) with 'Blood & Honour' tattooed on the back of his neck.

On Saturday I saw what looked like an old Su-type, being lauded like a hero by a large group of lads, and he had a prison/DIY tattoo of a swastika on his head.

What is going on when in 2 consecutive games there are blokes with Nazi tattoos knocking about in the Cricket Field?

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 am

I think the chances of racists not being racists is absolutely zero to be honest.

What needs to change is the culture that has appeared over the past few years in which "casual racism" (hate the term, but its probably a good one to use here) has become normalised and leads to actual racists being emboldened.

And as long as people continue to ignore that, or worse, use it for their own political ends, then its only going to get worse.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:And you suspect I'm lying based on what "anecdotal evidence" may I ask?

I've said the exact opposite I've said your opinion is valid based on the anecdotal evidence you've given, about you never meeting anyone racist in Burnley.

I'm implicitly putting faith in your words even though I've never met you.

It's the complete opposite from calling you a liar.

You're welcome to my support.

The following was added as an edit:

I was saying you were both right based on your own individual experiences of meeting people in Burnley.

I wasn't commenting on what happened at the game on Saturday, just about whether there are a large number of racists in Burnley, or not.

There isn't likely to be any empirical data on this (unless there has been an extensive study undertaken) so we have to go with anecdotal evidence.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 am

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:I've said the exact opposite I've said your opinion is valid based on the anecdotal evidence you've given, about you never meeting anyone racist in Burnley.

I'm implicitly putting faith in your words even though I've never met you.

It's the complete opposite from calling you a liar.

You're welcome to my support.

The following was added as an edit:

I was saying you were both right based on your own individual experiences of meeting people in Burnley.

I wasn't commenting on what happened at the game on Saturday, just about whether there are a large number of racists in Burnley, or not.

There isn't likely to be any empirical data on this (unless there has been an extensive study undertaken) so we have to go with anecdotal evidence.
Apologies mate, misinterpreted your post as sarcasm

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 am

I don't remember any racism at all involving us since Ewood when we lost 5-0, and even then the vast majority around us (those that weren't going "Oh ****, we are getting absolutely hammered here) visible wincing when it was sung.

When was that, fifteen? sixteen? more? years ago?

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 am

:x
ClaretMoffitt wrote:Apologies mate, misinterpreted your post as sarcasm

No worries.

Just for future note I disagree strongly with the use of sarcasm as I find it counterproductive.

I occasionally use wry irony but usually in a light hearted and mostly self deprecating manner, and never a in a way to undermine someone else's opinions.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6419 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 am

For those who are asking why would our fans boo him during the game, I'd like to refer you all to his statement after the hearing stated that the allegations he made against Jay Rod were not proven. Whilst Jay has accepted the results of the hearing and gone on state he bears Bong no ill, Bong's statement below continues to make the allegation against Jay and does not accept the findings of the hearing.

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF GAETAN BONG
'Mr Rodriguez’s actions during our game against West Bromwich Albion, followed by statements issued by him and on his behalf by his various PR and legal advisors, have resulted in my character being questioned and subsequently for a number of accusations to be directed at me. Please let me be clear: I know what I heard and I did not mishear. My conscience in raising the complaint is therefore entirely clear.

'This was my first such experience in more than three years in this country and I would never seek to bring a false charge against a fellow professional.

'Those who have accused me of doing that do not know me. Equally those who have expressed an opinion were not there on the pitch at the time and only Mr Rodriguez and I know exactly what was said and I stand by my original complaint. I now wish to continue with my career, and won't be commenting further on this matter even if Mr Rodriguez chooses to issue any further statements.'

"I know what I heard and I did not mishear"

he wont let it drop, even after the hearing. He is making himself a target by his own actions, hence our fans booing him.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

Walton wrote:If Burnley wants to rid itself of its racist reputation, racists need to stop being racist.

I posted after the Chelsea that I'd seen a bloke (bald head, big beard, sunglasses) with 'Blood & Honour' tattooed on the back of his neck.

On Saturday I saw what looked like an old Su-type, being lauded like a hero by a large group of lads, and he had a prison/DIY tattoo of a swastika on his head.

What is going on when in 2 consecutive games there are blokes with Nazi tattoos knocking about in the Cricket Field?
I'm really not surprised, reading this messageboard.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:57 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:I think this may say more about you, or the people you hang around with then. As Moffitt says, I’ve lived around Burnley all my life and don’t know anybody who supports the EDL or BNP.
I think it probably says a lot more about you than it does about me.
The fact that I happened to be unfortunate enough to sit next to EDL members on the Turf does not mean I “hang round with them”.
The leader of the local BNP lived in Cliviger and its an area that has a lot of support. Again it’s not people I hang round with.
Oh and btw there’s a few other issues as to why I would never associate myself with these people - one small important one being the colour of my skin !

As already said a significant percentage of people in Burnley have supported BNP in the last 20 years - the fact that you have never met any of them is great for you but let’s not pretend they don’t exist

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:20 pm

Oh and eversteadyDICKHEADIE

Didn’t want to post on the other thread but how does saying Burnley has its fair share of racists constitute “being owned” ?

Rather than come up with crap to try and deflect the pathetic insult you spent all day try to explain why don’t you actually contribute to the actual thread ?

The personal stuff you started to post about anger, mental illness, and all the other things were equally as pathetic. As said really amazed that you worked with children for many years. Yes I did also spot the inference that I had experienced violence in my family. Really classy of you that.

The message board is not really the place to respond to a lot of the sh-it you posted about me. But genuinely I would happily meet up with you to discuss it as you over stepped the mark massively....and if that’s the kind of thing you would be happy to say person to person then I would be delighted to oblige.