Arsenal Schedule Pre Sunday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Arsenal Schedule Pre Sunday

Post by tybfc » Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am

As all Arsenal have to play for is the Europa Cup you would assume that he will play a full strength team on Thursday night in Madrid having rested many of them last weekend.

Their game at Atletico will not finish until around 23:15 and then they will do their warm downs and get changed so will they stay the night in Madrid or get a flight back to London after the game?

If they leave it until the Friday morning they then have to contend with a coach journey from Heathrow to The Emirates or wherever they have all left their cars so presumably won't get any training in that day.

I bet Wenger's happy.

Though he probably doesn't care any more.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Re: Arsenal Schedule Pre Sunday

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 am

He has lots of clever players and Madrid is pretty close. Could land nearer home perhaps.

They have been in Europe lo g enough to have the logistics well sussed. Closer than Russia etc and they cope with that.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 am

I was hoping for real ale recommendations in North London
This user liked this post: tybfc

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue May 01, 2018 10:28 am

Garnerssoap wrote:I was hoping for real ale recommendations in North London
They don't do proper beer down South

claret wizard
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 am

They'll have a private plane chartered that evening and have no training on the Friday morning. Half that team won't play against us on the Sunday. That'll minimise the impact of Thursday on the Sunday team, but there will be some impact.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 01, 2018 11:26 am

Worth mentioning that the back Arsenal players actually played really well at Old Trafford, so its still going to be a struggle for us.

And its Arsene Wengers last game. They are going to be up for it.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am

Garnerssoap wrote:I was hoping for real ale recommendations in North London

Take a six banger of Moorhouses, a selection of the finest pies and a flask of gravy for your expedition.
This user liked this post: Down_Rover

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am

I'd imagine a private plane to Luton after the match.

As for real ale recommendations in North London, there are more options than you can shake a stick at.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Tue May 01, 2018 11:42 am

Whatever the logistical difficulties, this is going to be our world for (hopefully) the first half of next season. Just get on with it.

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue May 01, 2018 11:42 am

Post 4 is tongue in cheek I am guessing, as a trip to the Emirates provides one of the best opportunities of a Premier League season to visit some great pubs and sample some excellent real ale...some fine foodie pubs as well - worth planning the afternoon with a map and the internet, as the places worth visiting are not all on Holloway Road.

The Borough of Islington is a good starting point - '21 Islington pubs'..[see link]

https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/islington-pubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camden Town is 2.5 miles from the Emirates...about ten minutes in a taxi.
Hampstead is 3 miles from the Emirates.
Highgate is about 2.5 miles to the Emirates.

- there are plenty of options around Euston/Kings X before doing the short journey up on the train/tube.

Last year I went in the excellent 'The Craft Beer Co' [White Lion St.N1] near Angel tube, then a couple of pubs on Upper St, then the Compton Arms.. quality pub though it gets a bit crowded, behind the [famous] Union Chapel, quite near Highbury and Islington tube station.

I am not that familiar with pubs/bars near the stadium, though I think that one of them at least is 'away fan friendly'..[could be the designated 'away fans pub]..the Drayton Arms, the Drayton Park, the Twelve Pins, The Blackstock...this needs checking.

A 4.30 pm kick off is helpful in terms of having a leisurely pre-match and a wander..** if you are a fan of The Kinks, the Clissold Arms is in the area and there is a lounge there devoted to those lads from Muswell Hill.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue May 01, 2018 12:21 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Post 4 is tongue in cheek I am guessing, as a trip to the Emirates provides one of the best opportunities of a Premier League season to visit some great pubs and sample some excellent real ale...some fine foodie pubs as well - worth planning the afternoon with a map and the internet, as the places worth visiting are not all on Holloway Road.

The Borough of Islington is a good starting point - '21 Islington pubs'..[see link]

https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/islington-pubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camden Town is 2.5 miles from the Emirates...about ten minutes in a taxi.
Hampstead is 3 miles from the Emirates.
Highgate is about 2.5 miles to the Emirates.

- there are plenty of options around Euston/Kings X before doing the short journey up on the train/tube.

Last year I went in the excellent 'The Craft Beer Co' [White Lion St.N1] near Angel tube, then a couple of pubs on Upper St, then the Compton Arms.. quality pub though it gets a bit crowded, behind the [famous] Union Chapel, quite near Highbury and Islington tube station.

I am not that familiar with pubs/bars near the stadium, though I think that one of them at least is 'away fan friendly'..[could be the designated 'away fans pub]..the Drayton Arms, the Drayton Park, the Twelve Pins, The Blackstock...this needs checking.

A 4.30 pm kick off is helpful in terms of having a leisurely pre-match and a wander..** if you are a fan of The Kinks, the Clissold Arms is in the area and there is a lounge there devoted to those lads from Muswell Hill.
hampstead - Very much so tongue in cheek.

We will again walk it from Euston to The Emirates which from memory last year was around 3 miles and some great pubs on the way.

The train is taking 50 minutes longer on Sunday due to engineering works so we will have to walk and drink quicker!

But we will drink in the "Home Fans Only" pubs as we do at all the away grounds when we travel by train and love the banter and conversation with the locals. And it means you don't have to mix with fans from Great Harwood.
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5093 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Any pubs in Burnley showing it live ?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3815 times
Has Liked: 12505 times

Post by Leisure » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:

Last time we played them the Blackstock had shut down.

PS - Just googled it and it seems to have reopened, although there was a mention of £6 for a pint of Fosters! There is the option across the road from it of Twelve Pins.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Leisure wrote:Last time we played them the Blackstock had shut down.

PS - Just googled it and it seems to have reopened, although there was a mention of £6 for a pint of Fosters! There is the option across the road from it of Twelve Pins.
The Blackstock was just being refurbed. It's still a bit of a hole though, I can't imagine it would be £6 for a Fosters in there. Around Finsbury Park there's the Twelve Pins which is always rammed (but also has a very quick bar), the World's End slightly further up Stroud Green Rd which is decent, the Faltering Fullback a little further up on the right which has a spectacular beer garden and then beyond that the Old Dairy and Stapleton Tavern which are both nice, big pubs. Everywhere is away fan friendly.

The traditional away pub is The Drayton Park near the ground. I don't particularly rate it and it gets pretty busy before a match.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Are people still buying into the real ale hype?I thought that fad finished in the Eighties

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Nah, it's all craft ale now.

The Burnley fans will all be in The Craft Beer Co enjoying some Shoreditch Hipster Ale

and The Taproom
cb.JPG
cb.JPG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
(If people are wondering, these two are both in walking distance of the ground.)
Last edited by aggi on Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 pm

What do you drink Woodley...Fosters..Carling?

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue May 01, 2018 7:39 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:What do you drink Woodley...Fosters..Carling?
Carlsberg Special Brew

otto1959
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by otto1959 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:49 pm

aggi wrote:The Blackstock was just being refurbed. It's still a bit of a hole though, I can't imagine it would be £6 for a Fosters in there. Around Finsbury Park there's the Twelve Pins which is always rammed (but also has a very quick bar), the World's End slightly further up Stroud Green Rd which is decent, the Faltering Fullback a little further up on the right which has a spectacular beer garden and then beyond that the Old Dairy and Stapleton Tavern which are both nice, big pubs. Everywhere is away fan friendly.

The traditional away pub is The Drayton Park near the ground. I don't particularly rate it and it gets pretty busy before a match.
Can also recommend the Faltering fullback. This is a place not to shout too loudly with a northern accent though.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Some good pub suggestions above. Can also reccomend the Earl of Essex & the Island Queen just off Upper St