Another near miss on the motorway

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6959 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Re: Another near miss on the motorway

Post by Rileybobs » Sat May 12, 2018 4:44 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:I'm starting to think that I don't exist.
Are you Bruce Willis?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Are you Bruce Willis?
I see **** drivers
These 3 users liked this post: Rileybobs Rick_Muller wilks_bfc

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat May 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Can’t really tell from those two posts, but at what speeds are you driving?
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 5:09 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Can’t really tell from those two posts, but at what speeds are you driving?
First One wouldn’t be past 30 and second one I’d only just set off I was in second gear

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat May 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Without a shadow of doubt ALL those who drive and post on here will be a mixture of good and bad sometimes.
Some might write stuff about the correct way of doing things on the motorways or other roads, but the law of averages means there will be those who never bother indicating, drive far, far too close to the car in front in adverse weather, usually with no lights on.
Tailgating is rife, so highly likely up the clarets posters are as guilty as anyone.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sat May 12, 2018 5:26 pm

I've got 4 dashcams in my car. I'm not paranoid much :D

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 pm

karatekid wrote:I was behind a driving instructor on the M65 last week and he constantly changed lanes without signalling and at one point he was driving on the rumble strip at the left side of the road. When he exited the motorway he signalled about 2 yards before the sliproad. Not a very good advertisement for his business. :shock:
I doubt there would have been a learner behind him to notice :D

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Joe14 wrote:The lorry signals late in my opinion. From signal on- moving right its 1 second. No where near long enough.
Maybe you could have anticipated it better but the lorry driver needs a lesson on signal timing and mirror use. With the speeds involved signals need to be a lot earlier than in say a 20mph zone. Most people signal between 50metres-100 metres before leaving a motorway. The recommendation is 300 metres.

On a side note in less that a month learners will be allowed on the motorway. Rules state it must be with a fully qualified instructor in a dual controlled car.

Watch how we teach learners and you will all learn a thing or two. ;)
I make it 4 seconds, however I do concede I should have waited to see what the dick in the car behind was going to do :o OOPS let everyone know now.
This user liked this post: Joe14

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sat May 12, 2018 5:48 pm

You shouldn't need to do this but do you have your headlights on during the day?

The roads are teeming with idiots and anything to make you more visible to these imbeciles could help.

The country's overloaded with ******** and sticking them in a one ton machine that's capable of carnage is a lethal combination.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:You shouldn't need to do this but do you have your headlights on during the day?

The roads are teeming with idiots and anything to make you more visible to these imbeciles could help.

The country's overloaded with ******** and sticking them in a one ton machine that's capable of carnage is a lethal combination.
I have auto lights in my car so as the weather was today it would have been on but the lowest ones.

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Sat May 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Maybe that's why that trucker never saw you and I do think you were driving far to fast around the car park, kids etc running around people coming out between cars, cameras can also show your faults as well as others.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 5:54 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Maybe that's why that trucker never saw you and I do think you were driving far to fast around the car park, kids etc running around people coming out between cars, cameras can also show your faults as well as others.
I’m fine to have my actions criticised too, I’m not suggesting I’m perfect. It’s all about learning.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6459 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat May 12, 2018 6:53 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:I’m fine to have my actions criticised too, I’m not suggesting I’m perfect. It’s all about learning.
That’s fair enough. Personally I keep speed as low as possible in car parks, walking pace even. As said above, kids often run between cars in car parks and technically speaking it wouldn’t be your fault, but a child could die as a result and that would leave you feeling crap.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:That’s fair enough. Personally I keep speed as low as possible in car parks, walking pace even. As said above, kids often run between cars in car parks and technically speaking it wouldn’t be your fault, but a child could die as a result and that would leave you feeling crap.

I think a large part of the problem, at least for me, is thT I’m so unconsciously used to driving that I just do things without really thinking. Travelling at 20 or so mph seems very slow even though in reality it isn’t.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat May 12, 2018 7:04 pm

I firmly believe (and expect some grief for this) that lorries should only be able to use the inside lane and not overtake at all. Many tailbacks and slowing/stacking of traffic are caused by the 57mph standoff and overtake, basically causing the motorway to go to one lane (the outside)

I also believe lorries should be off all major arterial routes between 7am and 9am and 430 and 6pm. I don't expect many to side with me on that. The rush hour mess is made considerably worse by these juggernauts.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sat May 12, 2018 7:05 pm

The examples you have posted happen all of the time everywhere in Britain.
There's nothing much you can do about it apart from staying alert to the chance it may happen.
Sooner or later you will get used to it and it won't bother you. Either that or driverless cars will take away the problem

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I always watch out for tw4ts in wagons; they indicate and pull out irrespective of who, or what, is there. They want to preserve their momentum at all costs and work on the old ‘I’m bigger than you so f*ck off’ principle so always beware. Black Audis do something similar, except they don’t indicate. Let’s be careful out there.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Ok guys, it's happened again. I don't know if something is wrong with me but I'm going to upload 2 more that have happened within 20 mins of each other in Padiham.
I can't believe you were driving along filming that on your mobile...
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretAndJew CnBtruntru

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm

karatekid wrote:I was behind a driving instructor on the M65 last week and he constantly changed lanes without signalling and at one point he was driving on the rumble strip at the left side of the road. When he exited the motorway he signalled about 2 yards before the sliproad. Not a very good advertisement for his business. :shock:
How do you know it was a driving instructor?

Joe14

Post by Joe14 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:I make it 4 seconds, however I do concede I should have waited to see what the dick in the car behind was going to do :o OOPS let everyone know now.
From start of clip or start of signal???

Claret eze
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Claret eze » Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Lots of drivers commenting on how bad hgv drivers are,yet hgv are far more qualified to drive on any roads than most car drivers. Funny how everyone's an expert.

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Sat May 12, 2018 9:03 pm

As for hgvs staying in the inside lane,how do cars leave the motorway with miles and miles of hvgs sitting behind one another?
This user liked this post: CnBtruntru

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by starting_11 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Claret eze wrote:As for hgvs staying in the inside lane,how do cars leave the motorway with miles and miles of hvgs sitting behind one another?
Illiterate person joins to comment on a HGV post...

I'm guessing you're a HGV driver?

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm guessing your an expert on everything?

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sat May 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I agree that you were going too fast in the car park. You need to be going slowly enough to stop more or less instantly. Not for fear of vehicle damage, but because "the child ran out in front of me" may be a valid defence in court but not a valid defence (I hope) to your own conscience. You cannot have a clear view of hazards in car parks, and the hazards are coming from all directions, so you go s-l-o-o-w.
This user liked this post: ClaretAndJew

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 pm

dsr wrote:I agree that you were going too fast in the car park. You need to be going slowly enough to stop more or less instantly. Not for fear of vehicle damage, but because "the child ran out in front of me" may be a valid defence in court but not a valid defence (I hope) to your own conscience. You cannot have a clear view of hazards in car parks, and the hazards are coming from all directions, so you go s-l-o-o-w.
I think that's fair enough. I think I tend to just treat a car park as every other bit of road. I'm not the only one, but I'll certainly be amending the speed in those places.

Joe14

Post by Joe14 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Claret eze wrote:Lots of drivers commenting on how bad hgv drivers are,yet hgv are far more qualified to drive on any roads than most car drivers. Funny how everyone's an expert.
How are they far more qualified?

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 am

Claret eze wrote:Lots of drivers commenting on how bad hgv drivers are,yet hgv are far more qualified to drive on any roads than most car drivers. Funny how everyone's an expert.
Almost 100% of accidents caused by HGV's are HGV's that were being driven by HGV licence holders. So clearly anyone holding a HGV licence should be disqualified from driving.

Claret eze

Post by Claret eze » Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 am

Joe14 wrote:How are they far more qualified?
More training =more tests=more licences,or qualifications to drive bigger vehicles.not to mention medicals (including eyesight tests)and a day in a classroom every year. by law.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun May 13, 2018 10:04 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:I think a large part of the problem, at least for me, is thT I’m so unconsciously used to driving that I just do things without really thinking. Travelling at 20 or so mph seems very slow even though in reality it isn’t.
Based on the two videos you've posted, I'd say your speed is excessive and inappropriate to the circumstances. Your style is also aggressive. Despite what is clearly ahead, particularly the red audi, you continue to pick up speed and drive at it. That is not a very good trait and one that is destined to be the cause, rather than the victim, of an accident.

Because of this I've taken another look at the truck incident. At the start of the video you appear to be keeping an appropriate distance from the van in front, by the time the truck pulls out you had narrowed that gap to one that was taking you towards the dangerous bracket. You could not see what was in front of the van yet you were closing up on it, too fast, too aggressive.
You started off well positioned with time and space to react to any eventually (defensive driving), your style placed you in danger. Not saying you are at fault, but you're not helping yourself.
One day you may need dashcam evidence to argue fault, problem is that could be from the confines of the wheelchair your stuck in for the rest of your life and wishing it simply hadn't happened in the first place.

All i can say is that for everyone's sake, don't use vehicles as some way of exercising a feeling of equality or right or expressing anger.

If someone in front is going slower than you would like, don't get right up their arse in an attempt to try and get them to go faster, it's a form of bullying.....are you a bully? Always remember that the speed limit is just that, a limit, minimum slowest does not exist. It doesn't mean that it's safe to drive at that speed, you have to drive appropriate to the conditions which includes other traffic, pedestrians, etc as well as weather and visibility.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you're never involved in an accident.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller ClaretRoob

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Joe14 wrote:How do you know it was a driving instructor?

The big white roof box with a big red L sort of gave it away :lol:

If it wasn't the instructor driving then he needs to be more careful about who he lends his car to.

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 pm

C&J
No0 offence pal, but try sowing down a bit, especially in car parks. you could easily flatten a pedestrian.

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Sun May 13, 2018 4:22 pm

That’s absolutely correct, they are (supposed to be) more qualified. However, just driving on the motorways shows that a lot of them are bad drivers. Tail gating, pulling out without warning or indicating and cutting across can be seen every day on every road. I appreciate that tachographs put pressure on their ‘productivity’ but using the sheer size of their vehicles to intimidate other road users is bad driving.

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Joe14 wrote:From start of clip or start of signal???
Signal using the two second rule but this is actually 4 seconds :D

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 pm

starting_11 wrote:Illiterate person joins to comment on a HGV post...

I'm guessing you're a HGV driver?

Oh thats naughty classing all HGV drivers as illiterate, good job we have bigger tools than car drivers :D

Joe14

Post by Joe14 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:45 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Signal using the two second rule but this is actually 4 seconds :D
The signal comes on and the lorry starts moving out a second later.

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by starting_11 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:00 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Oh thats naughty classing all HGV drivers as illiterate, good job we are bigger tools than car drivers :D
Sorted that sentence for you.
This user liked this post: CnBtruntru

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Joe14 wrote:The signal comes on and the lorry starts moving out a second later.
Whatever