well, how poor was that

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
chipbutty
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Re: well, how poor was that

Post by chipbutty » Sun May 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:One striker at home and constant back passing which led eventually to us gifted a very poor side the points.
The lad from the youth team deserved a half game not just 3 mins.Lennon was poor again.and GK didnt even get a run out in his last game for us
Sorry great season or not I was expecting a great game with us easy winners.Especially after the gutless game v Arsenal
You`re more bothered that GK didn`t get a run out than Marney or Arfield?
And wake up and smell the coffee, there are no easy games in the Premier League, be it Bournemouth or Arsenal.
P.S. In our gutless performance last week, Arsenal had 10 shots and scored 5 goals, in their previous high profile game they had 25 shots and scored 1 goal..

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:44 pm

The lads have spent half the week getting trashed (red room/races). I wasn’t expecting much. If you was you’re a mug. Best team in decades and people still moan. Get a life
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Inchy wrote:The lads have spent half the week getting trashed (red room/races). I wasn’t expecting much. If you was you’re a mug. Best team in decades and people still moan. Get a life
Next season they’ll get to moan about an extra competition we might get beat in!

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun May 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Can’t believe people are getting upset about a meaningless end of season game. Don’t sweat it, we’ve finished seventh, today meant nothing.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Sun May 13, 2018 10:47 pm

You can not compare today’s team with a competitive Dyche team. They were still hungover, and rightly ducking so

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4072 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 13, 2018 10:52 pm

martin_p wrote:Can’t believe people are getting upset about a meaningless end of season game. Don’t sweat it, we’ve finished seventh, today meant nothing.
Just ignore the bellends.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 am

Just seen MOTD we should have come away with a draw,maybe today showed why we don't play like Man City every week,instead of tiki-tiki the defenders should have launched the ball into row z not pretty but much safer.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am

As others have remarked our model requires 100% focus and intensity. Since the Leicester match that has been missing. Put that together with tiredness and the niggles inevitable after a long season and the result is the erosion of our 'fine margins'. We'd not have fannied about at the back like we did twice yesterday if there had been anything on the game...or at least I hope not. To put it in context we lost 1-2 at home to a much poorer side after taking the lead in our last match of last season and many on here predicted a long struggle this season

All that said it was annoying at the time to give away such soft goals!
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 7:31 am

very, but nothing that wasn't foreseen.
It has been like that for nearly 3 weeks, we have had our flip flops on sine 15:45 of the Leicester game.

1 team wanted to play football, 1 team wanted to win, and that team did.

You cannot look past our acheivment, but playing championship/league 1 footballers out of position is not the way forward.
Those who can see, saw it in August/January, and hopefully the powers that be were sent ANOTHER message on just what is needed.
This user liked this post: ebby

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am

Its a bit early to be on the sherry isn't it MACCA?

We were comfortable till two daft mistakes, and had chances to win it ourselves, despite not being 100% there.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 am

MACCA wrote:You cannot look past our acheivment, but playing championship/league 1 footballers out of position is not the way forward.
Those who can see, saw it in August/January, and hopefully the powers that be were sent ANOTHER message on just what is needed.
Why do you say "you cannot look past our achievement" and then immediately look past the achievement to have a dig at both Board of Directors and Sean Dyche? If you think the club is badly run, and would be doing so much better if only the Board and Dyche were replaced by better, then say so. If you think the club is badly run, and everything that has been achieved in recent years is a fluke that could have happened anywhere, then say so. Either way, you'll be wrong.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 am

''Can’t believe people are getting upset about a meaningless end of season game. Don’t sweat it, we’ve finished seventh, today meant nothing."

So did the paying fans get a discount on the admission prices because it was only an end of season game?

Footballers are like any other entertainers, they are there to provide value for money and yesterdays performance was below par.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 am

ebby wrote:''Can’t believe people are getting upset about a meaningless end of season game. Don’t sweat it, we’ve finished seventh, today meant nothing."

So did the paying fans get a discount on the admission prices because it was only an end of season game?

Footballers are like any other entertainers, they are there to provide value for money and yesterdays performance was below par.
By definition, some performances are bound to be below par. You can't play at average or above every game - the laws of statistics don't allow it. The reason it was below par is because par has been set at such a high level this year.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 am

MACCA wrote: You cannot look past our acheivment, but playing championship/league 1 footballers out of position is not the way forward
Kevin Long was playing in his preferred position

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 am

MACCA wrote: You cannot look past our acheivment, but playing championship/league 1 footballers out of position is not the way forward.
Who are these Championship/league one footballers?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 am

Braindead wrote:Who are these Championship/league one footballers?
Look at the post above, I didn't even need to name names.

I think you need to be either blind or just stubborn to realise that Mr Long is Campionship wuality at the very best.
There's a reason he didn't play for us in the championship and was loaned out here, there and everywhere.

Add Wells to the list if you like, and Sam Vokes won't get another premier league team if he left us.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 11:29 am

Braindead wrote:Who are these Championship/league one footballers?

But our failings in the transfer market means we have to not only play Long, but also jeopardise Tarkys game to play him on the left side, which has clearly has an affect on his performances.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 am

Okay the season has gone out with a whimper but who really does care? We have had a phenomenal season and the last two games have been dead rubbers. Even that master motivator Dyche said when there is nothing to play for you lose the edge and that is true. These lads have run through the proverbial brick walls for the club and the manager (and dare I add the fans) this season and they are understandably jaded, I for one am not in the least concerned about the last two 'friendlies'.

Onwards and upwards for next season with a keen eye on who comes in and who leaves in the summer, but I was very pleased to see Dyche saying the other day that only offers of stupid money would tempt us to sell anyone as we simply don't need to, what a great position to be in.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 am

I hope we keep failing so hard in the transfer market if it means progressing as far as we have done in the last few years.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr Lancasterclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 14, 2018 12:08 pm

MACCA wrote:Look at the post above, I didn't even need to name names.

I think you need to be either blind or just stubborn to realise that Mr Long is Campionship wuality at the very best.
There's a reason he didn't play for us in the championship and was loaned out here, there and everywhere.

Add Wells to the list if you like, and Sam Vokes won't get another premier league team if he left us.
Sam Vokes would walk into the Huddersfield team.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:19 pm

And Cardiff
And Brighton

This thread is utter sh-ite to be honest
Kevin Long has developed a lot this season - look at his displays against the likes of United at OT. To refer back to his previous loan spells etc is irrelevant. It’s about this season. He’s broke into the Ireland squad. Do you seriously think you know more about him as a player than O’Neil, Roy Keane and Dyche ? The arrogance and ignorance of some our fans who have done f all squared in Football is unbelievable.

As for some of the comments on his slip yesterday - what was the difference between that accident and Gerrard’s slip v Chelsea ?

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Mon May 14, 2018 12:22 pm

MACCA wrote:Look at the post above, I didn't even need to name names.

According to Who Scored.com Long has a season average rating of 7.16 (compared with 7.12 Mee and 7.22 Tarks); wins an average of 4.9 aeriel duels per game (Mee = 4, Tarks = 4.7); has got 1 x goal and 2 x assists (Mee and Tarks none of each). He also has 3 x MOTM awards in this time compared to 4 for Tarks and 2 for Mee.

But yeah, Championship or League One at best. Obvs.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74606/Show/Kevin-Long" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Braindead wrote:According to Who Scored.com Long has a season average rating of 7.16 (compared with 7.12 Mee and 7.22 Tarks); wins an average of 4.9 aeriel duels per game (Mee = 4, Tarks = 4.7); has got 1 x goal and 2 x assists (Mee and Tarks none of each). He also has 3 x MOTM awards in this time compared to 4 for Tarks and 2 for Mee.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/74606/Show/Kevin-Long" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Nugent has a 100% goal scoring record for England

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:36 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:David Nugent has a 100% goal scoring record for England
Mmmm - trying to be clever suggesting statistics can be used in lots of different ways.
So what does the statistic you quoted for Nugent which is one game and one open net goal from 4 inches have in common with the array of defending statistics covering several games for Kevin Long ?

Your Nugent statistic is about as relevant as mine that I have a 100% record of never conceding a goal for Burnley.
This user liked this post: Braindead

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 pm

TVC15 wrote:Mmmm - trying to be clever suggesting statistics can be used in lots of different ways.
So what does the statistic you quoted for Nugent which is one game and one open net goal from 4 inches have in common with the array of defending statistics covering several games for Kevin Long ?

Your Nugent statistic is about as relevant as mine that I have a 100% record of never conceding a goal for Burnley.
You've never played for Burnley so that statistic doesn't really hold water.

As for your statistics, the higher percentages for Long is over a shorter duration than for our other two CB's.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1512 times

Post by Goodclaret » Mon May 14, 2018 12:41 pm

I think this thread nicely highlights some Burnley "fans" should think about changing their "support" to Man City - at least they would have a chance of watching a team win almost all it's games although I'm sure, even that, wouldn't be good enough.

Braindead

Post by Braindead » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:You've never played for Burnley so that statistic doesn't really hold water.

As for your statistics, the higher percentages for Long is over a shorter duration than for our other two CB's.
Yes but you seem to be missing the point, the stats I've quoted are being used to disprove the ridiculous assertion that Long is a Championship/league one player at best.
He clearly is at the worst an able replacement for Mee and Tarkowski and the stats prove that.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Braindead wrote:Yes but you seem to be missing the point, the stats I've quoted are being used to disprove the ridiculous assertion that Long is a Championship/league one player at best.
He clearly is at the worst an able replacement for Mee and Tarkowski and the stats prove that.
The small pool of statistics

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 14, 2018 12:56 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:The small pool of statistics
So if Long had played more games his MOTM, goals and assist numbers would have gone down?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Spijed wrote:Sam Vokes would walk into the Huddersfield team.
Yeah course he would....
Wagner plays football

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Are these supporters who don’t care if we lose proper supporters ?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Braindead wrote:According to Who Scored.com Long has a season average rating of 7.16 (compared with 7.12 Mee and 7.22 Tarks); wins an average of 4.9 aeriel duels per game (Mee = 4, Tarks = 4.7); has got 1 x goal and 2 x assists (Mee and Tarks none of each). He also has 3 x MOTM awards in this time compared to 4 for Tarks and 2 for Mee.

How many errors now is it that have led to goals? 2?
Add the silly free kicks by diving in, and it's not good for a defender.

I back him whilst playing, but can't pretend to rate him as a footballer and always feel we are weaker when he plays, with a error just around the corner

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:You've never played for Burnley so that statistic doesn't really hold water.

And Nugent played for England for half an hour.

BTW - They are not my statistics.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make ? Instead of unsuccessfully trying to be clever with statistics just come out and say what you think and try and back it up with something concrete eh

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Goodclaret wrote:I think this thread nicely highlights some Burnley "fans" should think about changing their "support" to Man City - at least they would have a chance of watching a team win almost all it's games although I'm sure, even that, wouldn't be good enough.
You can support the team for 95 minutes every week, but be disappointed by a poor peeformance you know.

I'm glad Mr Dyche doesn't just want to be ok, the fact he tries to improve us whenever possible is a good sign.

If he had some "supporters" ambition, we would still have Steven Reid here playing

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon May 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Bournemouth's subs completely changed the game.

Before that we were dominant and looked like we were the ones who would score goals.
It made a difference that everyone, fans and players didn't particularly care when they scored

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:And Nugent played for England for half an hour.

BTW - They are not my statistics.

What exactly is the point you are trying to make ? Instead of unsuccessfully trying to be clever with statistics just come out and say what you think and try and back it up with something concrete eh
I'm trying to say that statistics can be used to show a matter of things for an argument. Those Long statistics could be used to suggest he's good, or bad, depending on how they are presented.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 14, 2018 1:14 pm

MACCA wrote:You can support the team for 95 minutes every week, but be disappointed by a poor peeformance you know.

I'm glad Mr Dyche doesn't just want to be ok, the fact he tries to improve us whenever possible is a good sign.

If he had some "supporters" ambition, we would still have Steven Reid here playing
And players can have a poor game without being written off as not good enough. It’s the usual feast or famine type opinions you get on here, either world beater of championship quality, nothing in between. Long is a good back up defender at this level.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I can't believe you lot use statistics when there are perfectly good youtube videos showing just how good he is.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 14, 2018 1:16 pm

MACCA wrote:Yeah course he would....
Wagner plays football
Really? Why has he been called the German Tony Pulis?

Scoring 28 goals, the lowest total total to keep a side up doesn't suggest they are a footballing side. They have failed to score in 21 games this season which suggests that they park the bus if and when they do score.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm

martin_p wrote:And players can have a poor game without being written off as not good enough. It’s the usual feast or famine type opinions you get on here, either world beater of championship quality, nothing in between. Long is a good back up defender at this level.
I agree, sadly he's played 10 times more than he should have had too.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Spijed wrote:Really? Why has he been called the German Tony Pulis?

Scoring 28 goals, the lowest total total to keep a side up doesn't suggest they are a footballing side. They have failed to score in 21 games this season which suggests that they park the bus if and when they do score.
Don't know

But has kept them up, wish we had done that on 2 occasions.
Objective number 1 is always survival, and he's done that. Not bad for a foreign coach with no previous English football/premier league experience

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 14, 2018 1:37 pm

MACCA wrote:I agree, sadly he's played 10 times more than he should have had too.
You mean we should have made absolutely sure Mee and Tarkowski didn’t get injured? Or are you not really agreeing or not understanding what I mean by good back up defender?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Aye - it’s been a disastrous season !

Just think we could have spent £15m to £20m on that Forest CB or any other CB and still we would have finished no higher than 7th !

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

MACCA wrote:Don't know

But has kept them up, wish we had done that on 2 occasions.
Objective number 1 is always survival, and he's done that. Not bad for a foreign coach with no previous English football/premier league experience
Ah right, because he’s foreign and kept them up he must ‘play football’.

Always a fan
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Always a fan » Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Inchy wrote:The lads have spent half the week getting trashed (red room/races). I wasn’t expecting much. If you was you’re a mug. Best team in decades and people still moan. Get a life
Very well said. A full month of getting thrashed has taking its toll. Lads on holidays a month ago. 7th place confirmed and yet players are still slated.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

MACCA wrote:Yeah course he would....
Wagner plays football
Have you been watching Huddersfield with the same glasses you use for watching Hendrick ?

What a f’in stupid thing to say - for the last 6 months they have played with a formation of 11-0-0. And yes he’s done brilliant to keep them up but there was a big element of luck with fixtures and playing big teams at the right time - which is what promoter teams like them need to stay up.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm

He is entertaining is macca, sadly for him it is for the wrong reasons.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 pm

MACCA wrote:How many errors now is it that have led to goals? 2?
Add the silly free kicks by diving in, and it's not good for a defender.

I back him whilst playing, but can't pretend to rate him as a footballer and always feel we are weaker when he plays, with a error just around the corner
Is that something else to slate Dyche with? That the team is weaker when the first team player is out and the reserve has to play?

I see you admit in another post that it's "a good sign" that Dyche always wants to do well. Don't you think it's also a good sign that we finished 7th in the Premier League and qualified for Europe? In fact, don't you think that there are so many good signs that this sort of whingeing over one game is a bit pointless?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Mon May 14, 2018 2:57 pm

I'll answer you all on one post...

TVC - have we not had a luck discussion before you and I?Nope don't watch Huddersfield, but saw them a on TV last season and looked to play the right way.
Great acheivment keeping them up at the first time of asking.
You can only beat ( or draw ) with what's infront of you. People think it's lucky playing 3 big sides in your last 3, City crushed West Ham and Chelsea still had 4th in their sights. Hardly ever a good time to play any of the big 6, to get 2 draws at the places to stay up is good going.

I have never said I'm unsatisfied with 7th, it's incredible.
However when I think a player or performance is under par I will make my opinion known. Yes they'll be bumps in the road, doesn't mean you have to enjoy them. Accept yes, enjoy no.
I don't rate Hendrick, I back him, I praise when plays well, however "as a number 10" he is poor, and I can't see what he offers.
As for Long, he just isn't good enough to play regular games at this level. He couldn't get a game in the championship, yet people believe he is a premier league player now.

Do some people live in a world where criticism is band and everything is rosey all the time. People can play poorly.

I know when I had a poor day at work or messed up my boss used to give me pelters.
This user liked this post: ebby

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

MACCA wrote:I'll answer you all on one post...

TVC - have we not had a luck discussion before you and I?Nope don't watch Huddersfield, but saw them a on TV last season and looked to play the right way.
Great acheivment keeping them up at the first time of asking.
You can only beat ( or draw ) with what's infront of you. People think it's lucky playing 3 big sides in your last 3, City crushed West Ham and Chelsea still had 4th in their sights. Hardly ever a good time to play any of the big 6, to get 2 draws at the places to stay up is good going.

I have never said I'm unsatisfied with 7th, it's incredible.
However when I think a player or performance is under par I will make my opinion known. Yes they'll be bumps in the road, doesn't mean you have to enjoy them. Accept yes, enjoy no.
I don't rate Hendrick, I back him, I praise when plays well, however "as a number 10" he is poor, and I can't see what he offers.
As for Long, he just isn't good enough to play regular games at this level. He couldn't get a game in the championship, yet people believe he is a premier league player now.

Do some people live in a world where criticism is band and everything is rosey all the time. People can play poorly.

I know when I had a poor day at work or messed up my boss used to give me pelters.
Do you live in a world where criticism can’t be challenged? No one has stopped you posting what you want. That doesn’t mean anyone has to agree with you.