Turf Moor Supporter Facilities

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretpipe
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Turf Moor Supporter Facilities

Post by claretpipe » Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 pm

After another great season and reflecting on the last game, I have one or two points to make. The club has clearly got matters right on and off the pitch on both the playing and back room support front, except the ticket office which continues to be a fairly unpleasant affair.

Surely it’s time for an improvement for the ordinary supporters and I’m not even talking about new stands, just about some basic hygiene, maintenance and some small upgrades. My first visit to WBA this year really puts us to shame, great facilities and very helpful staff and stewards.

I was one of the first into the ground on Sunday (JHU), a visit to the toilet was greeted by excrement baked onto the bowl, surely we can afford to clean the place at least? The place needs some updating, particularly the floor which is treacherous in the wet and needs a new finish preferably non-slip tiles. Can we have two screens at least please, we can barely see the normal screen let alone the useless temporary one. The tent is a joke for refreshments liquid or otherwise, there has to be a better business opportunity for the club with somewhere to sit for pre-match entertainment not too much to ask. I could go on but don’t want to bore you all!

Last but not least I’m sick to death of that door and that sign as I trudge up the stairs to my seat “open this door slowly “. Paper stuck on with black tape and to door full of holes, I bet the chairman wouldn’t tolerate that in his new boardroom for a day let alone years! UTC
Attachments
25C6F536-F7EA-4AB1-8A44-8EDA31BFDFCA.jpeg
25C6F536-F7EA-4AB1-8A44-8EDA31BFDFCA.jpeg (818.57 KiB) Viewed 4837 times

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Re: Turf Moor Supporter Facilities

Post by bfcjg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Sooner finish seventh than focus on these nit picking irrelevance.

Accrington claret
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by Accrington claret » Tue May 15, 2018 8:23 pm

I smell Bullshit.. Or perhaps a Horse botherer from down the road has infiltrated us

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I hope you have your tin hat ready you're about to get some abuse :)

We were talking about this before the game about smartening the ground up. No need for new stands (not until safe standing gets approved). However, the JH & JMc are 23 years old (god that's gone fast) and throughout that time have had very little done to them. We did the ground tour on Sunday and even down to the seats fading colour makes the grounds appearance look scruffy. Going to be made worse with the new corners having new seats.

However, I know the fans group that was put together do a great job in bringing the fans experience to the attention of the club (I know because I was part of it until work took me away). The flooring in the JHL was looked at. Put your concerns to ClaretTony and I'm sure he can pass them on if the fans group is still going.
This user liked this post: claretpipe

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Claretincraven » Tue May 15, 2018 8:32 pm

No bullshit. That door and sign exists in the stairwell leading to JHU. For the first time ever, as we left on Sunday, someone opened the door, and yes they did it slowly! Looked like he was in the catering department.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 pm

The ground needs a spruce up in a lot of areas despite what some on here say
These 4 users liked this post: claretpipe turfytopper Silkyskills1 The Enclosure

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 pm

There was some pigeon sh1t on my seat not a cleaner in site ended up having to use a tissue.

claretpipe

Post by claretpipe » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Been going on since 1973 and whereas walking around ankle deep in urine in the Beehole toilets was deemed to be acceptable then, times move on and facilities should also improve also. I can’t see how finishing 7th should negate the need for a toilet being cleaned? Surely it should be horse **** not bs?

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Tue May 15, 2018 8:46 pm

claretpipe wrote:Been going on since 1973 and whereas walking around ankle deep in urine in the Beehole toilets was deemed to be acceptable then, times move on and facilities should also improve also. I can’t see how finishing 7th should negate the need for a toilet being cleaned? Surely it should be horse **** not bs?
I wore wedgies and overcame the problem.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue May 15, 2018 8:47 pm

bfcjg wrote:There was some pigeon sh1t on my seat not a cleaner in site ended up having to use a tissue.
You're right, the ground should be patrolled 24/7 and any pigeons in the ground should be shot immediately to prevent this.
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 pm

A couple of warm air blowers down in the concourse for winter time would be nice. It's usually colder down there than it is outside! 8-)

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm

The lack of peas is deserving of a strongly worded letter
These 2 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo Leisure

claretpipe

Post by claretpipe » Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm

I wasn’t aware pigeons used the Gents WC, if they do it’s the biggest bird**** I’ve ever seen, I need to watch out!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 pm

The club turn over way over £100 million a year. We simply can not afford a cleaner and a new door. We are too poor. Clubs in the conference turn over more then we do on shirt sales alone. That’s why the roof of the jimmy Mac is rusty and has holes in it and the roof of the bob lord has weeds and what appears to be a bush growing on it. With a turn over so very low what do you expect? I’d rather £100 for a new door be spent increasing a players wage by £2 a week. I’d rather the annual salary for a cleaner and some bleach be spent on giving a player half a weeks wage. Far more important things to spend what little, little cash we have then spend it on the fans, oh sorry, I mean the customers experience. We are a business god damn it! You’re just a stupid little customer.
These 3 users liked this post: claretpipe tim_noone ClaretMoffitt

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

claretpipe wrote:I wasn’t aware pigeons used the Gents WC, if they do it’s the biggest bird**** I’ve ever seen, I need to watch out!
Maybe bfcjg needs to be complaining that his season ticket is in the Gents instead

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Spot on Claretpipe, it comes down to class, and if the club are to have any they have to start respecting the fans when they are swimming in money and we are swimming in urine (metaphorically anyway, luckily, unlike your old Bee Hole End example).

My pet hate is the lack of hot water in the JHU toilets, I mentioned this to D Bentley a year ago, got the usual “I will pass that on” and nothing has happened. You have filthy toilets, thousands of fans, press on taps. The only thing to kill Norovirus - hot soapy water. Hot is the key bit. Has to be 65 degrees Celsius. That means using the taps can be worse than not using them which is disgusting.

Inexcusable.

My own realistic short term wish list:

1. Hot water.
2. Replace all fluorescent lights with LED strips.
3. Fanzone with no major queues for ale.
4. Cleaners visibly buzzing around during a match, cleaning stuff up, ensuring loos are clean.
5. Kiosks that don’t rip us off for naff quality food and drink.

Not hard is it?
Last edited by CrosspoolClarets on Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm

The facilities in CFS are awful

Too squashed
Shocking toilets
Massive puddles on the exit whenever it rains, you can't help but get wet feet
Then there's the pitch black walk up the side of the cricket club after navigating the holes etc and tight squeeze past the players cars.

It looks a dump

However as customers, we are thought of last. Why waste money on making the customers more comfortable, that doesn't maximise profits.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I must admit I have wondered why there has been very little investment in the ground to the benefit of the supporters. It does need improving especially when you compare it with other teams in the prem

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm

deanothedino wrote:You're right, the ground should be patrolled 24/7 and any pigeons in the ground should be shot immediately to prevent this.
I always enjoy watching the pigeons soaring up into the longside especially when the game gets a bit tedious....the odd crisp packet fluttering on the pitch is a bonus especially on a cold winters evening game!

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:47 am

I think they should replace all those cheap looking plastic seats with quality wooden ones. The wooden ones have lasted 40+ years so far.

SandyLaneClaret
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by SandyLaneClaret » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 am

The priority should be getting rid of the permanent puddle outside where the fanzone used to be! It's there even on a sunny day!

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 am

Why is the automatic response to anything negative about our ground “I’d rather finish 7th”, or “I’d rather stay in the Premier League”, like the two are woven together as one?

We are currently enjoying income of £130m and making big profits at that. To build two new stands and update the older facilities might cost £30-40m, and over the 3 year period of planning and it happening we’d have income of £400m whilst in the Premier League, and year profits would pay for it.

Here though, the poster is taking about facelift and hygiene, which might set the club back a couple of £million. The grand scheme of things currently that’s nothing.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am

The OP is spot on.

There are non-league clubs now with grounds better maintained than ours.

The fanzone and refreshments on offer inside the ground are my particular bugbears. It’d be nice to be able to buy a brew that didn’t taste like it came out of a factory vending machine when costing you £2 for the privilege.

Football side is great. The clubshop is vastly improved. However, the facilities are no better than they were 15 years ago when we were lucky to be playing Championship football and worrying about administration.
These 2 users liked this post: The Enclosure Foulthrow

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am

SandyLaneClaret wrote:The priority should be getting rid of the permanent puddle outside where the fanzone used to be! It's there even on a sunny day!
See the earlier post 're ankle deep urine in the Bee Hole bogs. It's taking some drying out.

clitheroeclaret2
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by clitheroeclaret2 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 am

Must admit have noticed that door before, like something from a horror movie Almost expect Jack Nickolson`s face to appear through it

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 am

Dont we have a dedicated supporter liaison officer now? I think theres a direct email link from the official site. Has anyone had any dealings with her?
The scrum in the CFS at HT at the bottom of the steps, with the queue for the bar and people trying to get to the toilets needs reviewing. There could be an opportunity to make better use of the larger outside space. Its not a major issue as people are used to it now, but from the clubs perspective it might allow them to sell more of those £4 bottles of lager.

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Wed May 16, 2018 7:29 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Spot on Claretpipe, it comes down to class, and if the club are to have any they have to start respecting the fans when they are swimming in money and we are swimming in urine (metaphorically anyway, luckily, unlike your old Bee Hole End example).

My pet hate is the lack of hot water in the JHU toilets, I mentioned this to D Bentley a year ago, got the usual “I will pass that on” and nothing has happened. You have filthy toilets, thousands of fans, press on taps. The only thing to kill Norovirus - hot soapy water. Hot is the key bit. Has to be 65 degrees Celsius. That means using the taps can be worse than not using them which is disgusting.

Inexcusable.

My own realistic short term wish list:

1. Hot water.
2. Replace all fluorescent lights with LED strips.
3. Fanzine with no major queues for ale.
4. Cleaners visibly buzzing around during a match, cleaning stuff up, ensuring loos are clean.
5. Kiosks that don’t rip us off for naff quality food and drink.

Not hard is it?
The temperature of water at a tap should reach 50°C within 2 minutes of being turned on.
This is law to prevent Legionella bacteria.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 am

To knock the Turf into shape and take it into the 21st century you would most likely have to spend something shy of 450million. The stadium is a complete mess,all the stands need knocking down and a complete rebuild.

Has the club stands at this present moment unless we have outside help, we are not strong enough financially to take on this challenge.

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am

Got to agree with the OP, the facilities are pretty poor and haven’t improved in years. There seems to be a sense of ‘they are used to it’ when the supporters are the ones who pay for the privilege of attending games. This against the background of the club making a song and dance about showing the new chairman’s facilities and the swanky players lounge.

I don’t doubt that these facilities needed an upgrade but if they did, then the supporters facilities definitely need a dose of looking at.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am

About time they installed contactless payments at the food kiosks too.
This user liked this post: Roosterbooster

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 am

The two main stands need a serious jet washing, inside and out. The ques at half time for the bars in the JM upper are horrendous, especially with it being a narrow concourse.
One of the problems is that the smoking area is at the end where the big screen is so all the smokers filter :D :D their way through the whole concourse to that end to go down for a smoke.
Prices should be cheaper. £4 for a bottle of beer is a tad too much for me so I don't bother.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

There was a big debate this year about how clubs in the prem who can never win anything ie not in the top six keep their fanbase entertained.

Enhancing the matchday experience should become a focus after a couple of years in the prem. Ive never used the fanzone. It looks a bit amateurist at best. The club should know if this turns a profit or not by now and wether they should invest in a proper structure.

Wifi - every pub has it. Man city have it. We should have it. We should have our own tv channel free via wifi before every game and highlights at halftime. Press get instant replays so its possible.

Concourse areas - we are a bit stuck with these but surely something could be done. Pies are either like moltan lava or cold. I cant believe staff are still opening cans/bottles and pouring drinks in this day and age. Even PNE have a multiple pint server!

Finally traffic. Why cant the club take out road closure orders and employ marshalls to operate traffic lights. We could clear tod rd in 5 minutes.

The club shop and ticketing has improved tremendously. Players and directors lounges now reflect our status. There must be some improvement for fans of the field.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am

steve1264b wrote:Press get instant replays so its possible.
Fed by the broadcaster, so not on-demand and only when there is a broadcaster there (league but not cup etc)

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

I'd like a few of you to have experienced the 1960's match day experience, when we were one of the top 3 teams in the land. There would be no complaints about current facilities. I would willingly return to those 1960's facilities if it meant we returned to the same level of performance year on year.

My main gripe is the demise of the flat cap. Compulsory up to about 1970, should be made compulsory now.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am

Some outstanding suggestions on here. Contactless is a good one. I hadn’t thought of that.

Here is one more for the mix : subcontract out the catering, both inside and outside the ground. Sodexo do BHA’s catering, miles better than ours. Make them look more professional, have professional staff brought in by the catering company, not snotty nosed kids with one eye firmly fixed on their tip jar and their other eye on their pal next to them who they are chatting to. Customer service. Quality. Value. Those 3 things should be the minimum requirement.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am

a visit to the toilet was greeted by excrement baked onto the bowl,"

WOW, that is impressive !!
I doubt many other grounds can boast talking t*rds.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 am

KeighleyClaret wrote:I'd like a few of you to have experienced the 1960's match day experience, when we were one of the top 3 teams in the land. There would be no complaints about current facilities. I would willingly return to those 1960's facilities if it meant we returned to the same level of performance year on year.

My main gripe is the demise of the flat cap. Compulsory up to about 1970, should be made compulsory now.
Jesus.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 am

I don't claim to be Jesus. Just ****** off with moaners.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Some outstanding suggestions on here. Contactless is a good one. I hadn’t thought of that.

Here is one more for the mix : subcontract out the catering, both inside and outside the ground. Sodexo do BHA’s catering, miles better than ours. Make them look more professional, have professional staff brought in by the catering company, not snotty nosed kids with one eye firmly fixed on their tip jar and their other eye on their pal next to them who they are chatting to. Customer service. Quality. Value. Those 3 things should be the minimum requirement.
That's a good suggestion, get rid of jobs for the town's 16/17 year olds and instead give zero hour contracts for a few hours every fortnight to some adults. You've nailed it.

Also, ask some Army lads (or anyone else who has the misfortune to have to eat it) how good Sodexo's food is. If we're going to change the food, focus on quality and since it's all pies and hot dogs - just get better pies and hot dogs suppliers.
Last edited by deanothedino on Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:a visit to the toilet was greeted by excrement baked onto the bowl,"

WOW, that is impressive !!
I doubt many other grounds can boast talking t*rds.
However, there are quite a number on here who talk sh!t at times !!! :D
These 2 users liked this post: claretpipe bfcjg

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed May 16, 2018 9:32 am

Murger wrote:About time they installed contactless payments at the food kiosks too.
Cricket Field has contactless.

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 am

deanothedino wrote:That's a good suggestion, get rid of jobs for the town's 16/17 year olds and instead give zero hour contracts for a few hours every fortnight to some adults. You've nailed it.

Also, ask some Army lads (or anyone else who has the misfortune to have to eat it) how good Sodexo's food is. If we're going to change the food, focus on quality and since it's all pies and hot dogs - just get better pies and hot dogs suppliers.
Firstly, the contractor can recruit said 16/17 year olds, train them properly, give them valuable skills for the future.

Secondly, Sodexo (who are just an example by the way) at the Amex rate the best in the PL for food, we rank 18th. Fairly conclusive. The fans don’t like it, probably because it is almost invariably unhealthy, too expensive, fuels obesity and tastes poor.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... tgalleries

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

steve1264b wrote:There was a big debate this year about how clubs in the prem who can never win anything ie not in the top six keep their fanbase entertained.

Enhancing the matchday experience should become a focus after a couple of years in the prem. Ive never used the fanzone. It looks a bit amateurist at best. The club should know if this turns a profit or not by now and wether they should invest in a proper structure.

Wifi - every pub has it. Man city have it. We should have it. We should have our own tv channel free via wifi before every game and highlights at halftime. Press get instant replays so its possible.

Concourse areas - we are a bit stuck with these but surely something could be done. Pies are either like moltan lava or cold. I cant believe staff are still opening cans/bottles and pouring drinks in this day and age. Even PNE have a multiple pint server!

Finally traffic. Why cant the club take out road closure orders and employ marshalls to operate traffic lights. We could clear tod rd in 5 minutes.

The club shop and ticketing has improved tremendously. Players and directors lounges now reflect our status. There must be some improvement for fans of the field.
The bar facilities at the turf baffle me as well.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:Secondly, Sodexo (who are just an example by the way) at the Amex rate the best in the PL for food, we rank 18th. Fairly conclusive. The fans don’t like it, probably because it is almost invariably unhealthy, too expensive, fuels obesity and tastes poor.
With the exception of tastes poor, I'd imagine that can apply to any sports ground concession offerings.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 am

Murger wrote:About time they installed contactless payments at the food kiosks too.
They have trialed it in the cricket field stand but it was hardly used.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

The poor hygiene is an issue that needs looking at, that's a very fair point. For me personally, the rest isn't an issue. Even the lack of Wi-Fi and internet for 90 minutes a fortnight is quite pleasant.

Man City's 'stadium complex' had everything mentioned in the thread thus far, and more. Without doubt the most soulless, theme park vibe I've experienced as a football fan. Now there's a club that needs a bit of flaky paint and taped on door signage.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 am

KeighleyClaret wrote:I'd like a few of you to have experienced the 1960's match day experience, when we were one of the top 3 teams in the land. There would be no complaints about current facilities. I would willingly return to those 1960's facilities if it meant we returned to the same level of performance year on year.

Hilarious!

CrosspoolClarets

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 am

deanothedino wrote:With the exception of tastes poor, I'd imagine that can apply to any sports ground concession offerings.
Not necessarily. Keeping Brighton as the example, they serve yuki yama vegetarian Asian food which is a tad healthier and offers veggie to those who want it. We’ll never demand that by the majority, but there should still be variety.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 16, 2018 10:26 am

bf2k wrote:However, I know the fans group that was put together do a great job in bringing the fans experience to the attention of the club (I know because I was part of it until work took me away). The flooring in the JHL was looked at. Put your concerns to ClaretTony and I'm sure he can pass them on if the fans group is still going.
The group was initially more about trying to improve the exterior of the ground and we did get the pics on the three stands which, I have to say, have been very well received. I know supporters groups from two other clubs were impressed enough to try and do the same at their grounds.

But there is a need to resurrect that group and I'm going to discuss it with the chief exec. From there, I'd like to see an active group set up that will formulate the best plans forward for improving things both in and out of the ground. It would be good if there was a decent sized group looking at different aspects of improving things all round.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread and get things listed to take forward.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am

Food would be a good place to start. I don't like pies and thats pretty much the only option. I remember the chips at Walsall, they were the best chips in the world. Garnerssoap had a theory it was because they were forced to change the cooking oil regularly with opening days being relatively infrequent comparatively to other chip selling outlets.