Ground Improvements at Turf Moor - Fans Group

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Ground Improvements at Turf Moor - Fans Group

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 am

This is an invitation to join (or re-join) a group of Burnley fans wishing to improve Turf Moor, both inside and out. It will consider:

1. Improvements outside the ground - with particular reference initially to Ormerod Yard plus the red brick wall either side of the old gym.
2. Improvements inside the ground - this will include potentially brightening up the concourses but also logging and dealing with any issues such as those highlighted on a thread last week which ranged from dirty toilets to that horrible door with the 'OPEN SLOWLY' sign.

As promised, I took the opportunity to discuss that thread with the club and can confirm it had already been seen with potential solutions being looked at for some of the issues.

The original group was around 5-6 people and it run for a while. It led to the placing of the photographs around the three stand walls. The group planned the installation and raised the funds to have them purchased and installed. I envisage this group being a longer running group given the scope of what can be done.

If you are interested in joining, if you think you can offer something, can you please initially email me: 'admin at uptheclarets dot com' and outline maybe what part you could play. I'm certainly not one who can come up with any inspirational ideas, I'm no fundraiser either, but I can do a bit of the foot slogging and administering.

We'll look at the interest and see if a group can be set up to take this forward, get some ideas in place which can be taken to the club.

I've initially placed this on the message board to get the interest from here and will see how things go with it initially although we want to open it up to all interested Burnley fans.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Ground Improvements at Turf Moor - Fans Group

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 23, 2018 10:18 am

Keep the red brick wall. Just graffiti it with some club related art. Scenes from important games etc.

That walls the last link to the longside and a reminder of where weve come from imo.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Claret Till I Die

Turfytop
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by Turfytop » Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am

I applaud you for this tony, but I don't think a club in the premier league , with all the riches of the premier league should need telling that their ground and facilities need a major updating, they should be embarrassed by it.
These 2 users liked this post: Sausage randomclaret2

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 am

Turfytop wrote:I applaud you for this tony, but I don't think a club in the premier league , with all the riches of the premier league should need telling that their ground and facilities need a major updating, they should be embarrassed by it.
I think the opposite tbh. A shiny stadium wont keep us in the premier league. Investing in players and youth amd training is the priority and rightly so.

Now weve been there a while we are using the money for the stadium. Spending what weve got rather than gambling on what we dont.

Also i think the club should be applauded for engaging fans in such developmenta.
These 7 users liked this post: Rowls tim_noone Braindead KateR mybloodisclaret jtv k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 am

Turfytop wrote:I applaud you for this tony, but I don't think a club in the premier league , with all the riches of the premier league should need telling that their ground and facilities need a major updating, they should be embarrassed by it.
It's not about telling them this and that, and sometimes they do need telling because they aren't always aware of things. But it is about a group of fans wanting to eventually work with the club and improve things. I'm proud of those pictures around the ground. I can't remember who came up with the idea but it was someone on the message board. It was adapted somewhat and that was the final result. We got a company to work with too whose owner is a Claret. It was really rewarding. So it is not really about whether they need to be told or not.
These 7 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Rick_Muller Rowls KateR mybloodisclaret The Enclosure turfytopper

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

I remember the old bee hole end bogs, therefore what we have today is like a football ground carlsberg designed by comparison.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am

Its not about a "shiny stadium " though.....just about keeping the place clean and tidy and not allowing the facade of our main stand to look like a run down empty warehouse that hasnt seen a lick of paint in years. The club shouldnt need working groups or fans websites to tell them that.
This user liked this post: Turfytop

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 23, 2018 10:35 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:I remember the old bee hole end bogs, therefore what we have today is like a football ground carlsberg designed by comparison.
That explains the flat atmosphere! :D

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 am

Price of twix needs urgently looking at.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 10:47 am

randomclaret2 wrote:Its not about a "shiny stadium " though.....just about keeping the place clean and tidy and not allowing the facade of our main stand to look like a run down empty warehouse that hasnt seen a lick of paint in years. The club shouldnt need working groups or fans websites to tell them that.
You are missing the point entirely unfortunately. No one has said the club need any working groups - this is a supporter initiative, not a directive from the club.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

Why are people intent on posting so many negative things about something so positive? I live too far away to get involved, but we’ll done and good luck to those who can.
These 4 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets KateR jtv Clevedon Claret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 am

martin_p wrote:Why are people intent on posting so many negative things about something so positive? I live too far away to get involved, but we’ll done and good luck to those who can.

We didn't lose at weekend and haven't been linked with a new player today, some need something to moan at.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am

I think it's a fantastic idea and would love to be involved, particularly with ideas to improve things. Unfortunately, I am not local (although my family all is). I'm normally up for 10 or so matches a season (health permitting). Would this exclude me?

For those being negative, I think it is great that the club hasn't lost touch with the fans. Could you imagine Man Utd giving two figs about the fans thoughts on their match day experience?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed May 23, 2018 11:24 am

Think this post is embarrassing. Not sure how anyone can find fault with this idea. At least the club are engaging with fans and they've done the right thing investing in the Training Centre and leaving the ground 'old skool'. Some fans will never be satisfied but thankfully the majority are.

Turfytop

Post by Turfytop » Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am

randomclaret2 wrote:Its not about a "shiny stadium " though.....just about keeping the place clean and tidy and not allowing the facade of our main stand to look like a run down empty warehouse that hasnt seen a lick of paint in years. The club shouldnt need working groups or fans websites to tell them that.
Exactly this, I'm not being negative about it, I live very near to the turf, and the bob lord stand is an eyesore to be honest and has been for years, and if the club can't see that then there's something drastically wrong, I personally have been contacting the club about it for the last couple of seasons, but get no response , Christ in the dark days of the 4th division they could afford a lick of paint

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

Turfytop wrote:Exactly this, I'm not being negative about it, I live very near to the turf, and the bob lord stand is an eyesore to be honest and has been for years, and if the club can't see that then there's something drastically wrong, I personally have been contacting the club about it for the last couple of seasons, but get no response , Christ in the dark days of the 4th division they could afford a lick of paint
And this topic has the square root of bugger all to do with that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 11:32 am

martin_p wrote:Why are people intent on posting so many negative things about something so positive? I live too far away to get involved, but we’ll done and good luck to those who can.
Foshiznik wrote:I think it's a fantastic idea and would love to be involved, particularly with ideas to improve things. Unfortunately, I am not local (although my family all is). I'm normally up for 10 or so matches a season (health permitting). Would this exclude me?

For those being negative, I think it is great that the club hasn't lost touch with the fans. Could you imagine Man Utd giving two figs about the fans thoughts on their match day experience?

I don't know how this group will evolve so I don't know what will be needed and not needed. I know it is easier for someone living round the corner to be there than someone being a distance away, but I don't see why those who do live a distance away should be excluded at all.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

MiltonKeynesClaret93
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by MiltonKeynesClaret93 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

Always interested in the ideas people have and have a few of my own.
I'd like to be part of this as well.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

Turfytop wrote:Exactly this, I'm not being negative about it, I live very near to the turf, and the bob lord stand is an eyesore to be honest and has been for years, and if the club can't see that then there's something drastically wrong, I personally have been contacting the club about it for the last couple of seasons, but get no response , Christ in the dark days of the 4th division they could afford a lick of paint
Cheap paint job though most of it on the terraces. :D

karatekid
Been Liked: 1111 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed May 23, 2018 12:14 pm

The advertising boards in front of the BL stand could do with modernising. Some of them look like they have been there for decades ( the boards , not the spectators :D )

Murger
Been Liked: 1244 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Why can't the old gym/Cafe Claret be turned into the fanzone?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm

A very good idea. I live far too far away to get involved but my only suggestion regarding the formation of the group would be to ensure it has a mixed representation. Some people like spit and sawdust, others like premium quality. A club trying to appeal across the spectrum has to cater for both.

e.g. some people like plush toilets, others do not care. Some want hot dogs, others want fish and chips. Some want Tetley, some want real ale. Let’s make sure the group (if enough volunteer) has both extremes.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm

What's happening with the Memorial Garden planned for behind the Jimmy Mac Stand?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 23, 2018 1:14 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:A very good idea. I live far too far away to get involved but my only suggestion regarding the formation of the group would be to ensure it has a mixed representation. Some people like spit and sawdust, others like premium quality. A club trying to appeal across the spectrum has to cater for both.

e.g. some people like plush toilets, others do not care. Some want hot dogs, others want fish and chips. Some want Tetley, some want real ale. Let’s make sure the group (if enough volunteer) has both extremes.
An excellent post. Very well put. There will certainly be differing opinions so would be good to get a balanced view and a happy medium on anything.

For what its worth the work to date has been excellent. The pictures look great!

Sausage
Been Liked: 639 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm

I think Turfytop has been thrown to the wolves on this. He's not saying there should be no supporter involvement in these matters but simply pointing out that if one of the objectives of the group is, to quote ClaretTony, to be involved in "logging and dealing with any issues such as those highlighted on a thread last week which ranged from dirty toilets to that horrible door with the 'OPEN SLOWLY' sign", then the stadium manager Doug Metcalfe isn't doing his job properly. If supporters have some innovative ideas to improve the match day experience, that's all well and good. But it shouldn't need a working group to point out that the bogs are grim, the hot water isn't hot, and a door is hanging off its hinges. All that could be dealt with via an email to a stadium manager who is willing to listen and act accordingly.
This user liked this post: Turfytop

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Sausage wrote:if one of the objectives of the group is, to quote ClaretTony, to be involved in "logging and dealing with any issues such as those highlighted on a thread last week which ranged from dirty toilets to that horrible door with the 'OPEN SLOWLY' sign", then the stadium manager Doug Metcalfe isn't doing his job properly
Sadly, that's taking my, potentially badly worded, first post literally. There is no suggestion that anyone is not doing his job properly whatsoever, but there will always be occasions when things are missed or things occur on match days.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks to those who have emailed - I'll reply to you later today to confirm receipt of your emails.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12496 times

Post by Leisure » Wed May 23, 2018 2:06 pm

karatekid wrote:The advertising boards in front of the BL stand could do with modernising. Some of them look like they have been there for decades ( the boards , not the spectators :D )
I'm pretty sure that some of the occupants of the BL have been there well before the advertising boards!

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Any chance we could get rid of the platforms at the front of the JHU that partially block my view of the pitch now it has been extended? The one in front of me has never been used. Never. Not once.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Struggling to imagine what angle you're watching the game from if the camera platform gets in your way

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:Struggling to imagine what angle you're watching the game from if the camera platform gets in your way
I sit on the front row of the JHU right in front of the camera platform. If the ball comes to the near touchline you can no longer see it. As they don't get used, and they look pretty awful, I was hoping they could be replaced.

Turfytop

Post by Turfytop » Wed May 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks sausage, people are to quick to condemn other posters on here, I even said I applaud tony for doing this

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed May 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Any chance we could get rid of the platforms at the front of the JHU that partially block my view of the pitch now it has been extended? The one in front of me has never been used. Never. Not once.
They did against Chelsea.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Wed May 23, 2018 4:54 pm

karatekid wrote:The advertising boards in front of the BL stand could do with modernising. Some of them look like they have been there for decades ( the boards , not the spectators :D )
Our advertising as a whole should be club colours themed.

We’ve a bloody red and white stand!

Go to plenty other grounds and the whole place is club colours, from the seats and stands to the pitch side track and the advertising.
These 2 users liked this post: Turfytop jdrobbo

Transpennine
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed May 23, 2018 4:55 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Any chance we could get rid of the platforms at the front of the JHU that partially block my view of the pitch now it has been extended? The one in front of me has never been used. Never. Not once.
Weren't these built for the specific purpose of sky's 3D coverage? Hows that going these days...?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks to those of you who have contacted me by email today (five in total so far which is probably more than I expected).

I've now emailed you all to confirm receipt of your interest.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Spijed wrote:They did against Chelsea.
2 years ago, haven't been used since.

Foulthrow

Post by Foulthrow » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Spijed wrote:They did against Chelsea.
Not where we sit they didn’t

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3431 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:I remember the old bee hole end bogs, therefore what we have today is like a football ground carlsberg designed by comparison.
I was told they were Roman.
This user liked this post: Bop

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6901 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm

I think it's a very good sign by the club that they are still listening to fans. Can't really think of a gripe TBH maybe some vending machines to reduce the queues at half time at the kiosks.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm

after many away matches attended this year, i think we need to improve the cleanliness of the stands we sit in. Im an original Longside lad, so believe me I have supported in stands that were like an outhouse, but when you sit in your season ticket seat and find the same pigeon **** on your seat for 3 weeks until you clean it off your self, compared to whats seem to be impeccable standard when you go to away matches, it does make you feel we are missing a trick at the Turf.
Also i dont understand the betting booth guys, you can place a bet t the match live, but you can only claim your winnings at the shops??? I dont really gamble a lot but seems to take the fun out of it some what, and im sure I read the logo as " when the fun stops, stop!"

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 am

ClaretTony wrote:Thanks to those of you who have contacted me by email today (five in total so far which is probably more than I expected).

I've now emailed you all to confirm receipt of your interest.
Whats the contact email address?

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu May 24, 2018 4:34 am

Too far away to be involved but if I can pass on some feedback....never, just never allow the hanging of banners like "Terry's Corner". "Pogba's Pride" etc etc etc. So ******* tacky. Ugh.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1340 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by Inchy » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 am

I regularly go to the fanzone so feel qualified to comment on that.

The fanzone could be easily improved by doing 2 things

- get a bigger tent with more chairs (needed in the winter months)

- get rid of 2br. They are
Annoying, no one is listening, and it drowns out any sound from the early kick of being broadcast
This user liked this post: wilks_bfc

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am

Did you really have to raise the funds Tony for the pictures around the ground? Did the club not pay for them?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Whats the contact email address?
Bump... ;)

Boxy74
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Boxy74 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:22 pm

JHL at halftime is a nightmare with smokers going from one end of the stand to another. Why not have a smokers area at both ends?

Claretuk
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Claretuk » Thu May 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Q. When are all the gangs of sat together oap's going to be moved out of the Jmu? This is meant to the be family stand & these people who shouldn't be up there are depriving the future generations of young clarets who should be up there with their parents sat togeteher!

Bop
Been Liked: 244 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Thu May 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Good question Chip. That surprised me too. Fair play to those who instigated it and raised funds.

It’s a shame the sponsors can’t be coerced into some form of ground improvements as a term/condition of their advertising.

The club is bound to have a line on the P&L that holds the ground maintenance and repair costs. I agree that routine maintenance shouldn’t be something we have to point out too often. “Specialist subject: The bleeding obvious”.

But; new ideas and suggestions should always be encouraged and welcomed. Previous threads on here have had some great ideas. This is one part of what a fan forum is for. Good luck to the group.

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by levraiclaret » Thu May 24, 2018 6:51 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Whats the contact email address?
Post 1

can you please initially email me: 'admin at uptheclarets dot com'
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets