O.T. - Cycle Advice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

O.T. - Cycle Advice

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Advice sought from knowledgeable UTC cyclists

At 42 years old, with a sedentary lifestyle and a liking for anything alcoholic, I'm in severe danger of turning into a fat knacker. So I'm thinking of buying a bicycle, mainly for road riding in and around London (I know, I need my head testing) and I'm wondering what sort of bike I should buy. I'm quite taken with the idea of a bike that is no-nonsense, solid, few bits and bobs to go wrong on it and not too expensive to replace when it inevitably gets nicked. Critically, I'm thinking of going single speed. This is the bike I'm thinking of: https://s2pbikes.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the question is: is a single speed bike a good option or should I be upping the budget to, say, £600/£700 and going for an all-rounder with a range of gears?
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Re: O.T. - Cycle Advice

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 pm

If you are living in a fairly flat area of London that should be fine. It looks an average gear so you’ll climb gentle slopes but you won’t get any great speed on the flat. Although that might not be a problem in London
This user liked this post: Sausage

starting_11
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by starting_11 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:21 pm

If you're fat, don't get a single speed.

Get a hybrid or a mountain bike for versatility. If you're not looking to go anywhere "fast" stick with a MTB.

I ride mine on the roads round here quite a lot and yes, you'll be overtaken by road bikes going twice as fast but if the main objective is to get out at ride, it doesn't matter. At least you've got the option of getting out in the countryside/woods/canals if you want to.

I'd spend at least 6-700 quid on a bike too. Don't get more bike than you need but don't scrimp on something with cheap components that'll give you aggro.
These 3 users liked this post: Sausage Siddo Wile E Coyote

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm

starting_11 wrote:If you're fat, don't get a single speed.
I'm not fat yet. This is a pre-emptive measure.
This user liked this post: starting_11

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 pm

piston broke wrote:If you are living in a fairly flat area of London that should be fine. It looks an average gear so you’ll climb gentle slopes but you won’t get any great speed on the flat. Although that might not be a problem in London
It's fitness, not speed, that is the motivation behind this.

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Sausage wrote:It's fitness, not speed, that is the motivation behind this.
Any exercise is good but I do big miles on my bike and find although I feel great after a ride I lose very little weight. Any loss is countered by your intake to stop you getting the bonk.
Running(jogging) is best but not everybody is designed for it. Power walking is good if you can concentrate on keeping the power going and not start daydreaming and turn it into an amble. Have fun, that’s the key.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Get a hybrid

I bought a Trek 7.2 for £450 about six years ago and its perfect.

I do like the idea of whizzing around like the professoinal, but I'd miss the chance to go canals and not so tarmaced back roads.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm

piston broke wrote:Any exercise is good but I do big miles on my bike and find although I feel great after a ride I lose very little weight. Any loss is countered by your intake to stop you getting the bonk.
Running(jogging) is best but not everybody is designed for it. Power walking is good if you can concentrate on keeping the power going and not start daydreaming and turn it into an amble. Have fun, that’s the key.
If you can't ride for 2 to 3 hours without bonking if you don't eat, then you have a problem with your diet. That should be more than manageable.

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm

deanothedino wrote:If you can't ride for 2 to 3 hours without bonking if you don't eat, then you have a problem with your diet. That should be more than manageable.
You might not go at my speed and the hills I climb? When I go I go hard.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by ChrisG » Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm

I've got one of these:

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... -13-47865/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's bob on for what I need, which is keeping the belly away.

It has a lockout on the suspension so you can ride it comfortably on or off road. Great value for money.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 pm

It does sound like you'll be doing 30-50 miles a run before you know it.

You won't bonk doing that, but if you really want to go for it then you do need a racer.

You'll need padded shorts, a cycling top, cycling gloves and a helmet as well.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed May 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Aren't single speed bikes dangerous? Wasn't that the bike used by the lad who killed someone?

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Aren't single speed bikes dangerous? Wasn't that the bike used by the lad who killed someone?
I think that was a fixed wheel track bike, with no brakes or gears.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 pm

My advice, get an electric one

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed May 23, 2018 2:35 pm

piston broke wrote:I think that was a fixed wheel track bike, with no brakes or gears.
Ah - yes - sorry, a fixed gear bike that was it.

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

iluva64 wrote:My advice, get an electric one
Eh? Doesn't that defeat the object? You'll be telling me next to get one with a petrol engine. :lol:
This user liked this post: starting_11

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 2:39 pm

deanothedino wrote:If you can't ride for 2 to 3 hours without bonking if you don't eat, then you have a problem with your diet. That should be more than manageable.
Okay - I obviously can't Google this without having a difficult conversation with my IT manager at work. What is 'bonking' in the context of cycling?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed May 23, 2018 2:48 pm

If you are riding on roads/ Tarmac or decent tracks don't get a mountain bike. They are heavy and the tyres are far too grippy for smooth surfaces.

As mentioned, a hybrid sounds ideal. If you find yourself riding more on the road you can buy some road/ touring tyres with less tread so have less resistance.

I can't recommend a specific bike but you tend to get better value buying shop brand bikes (e.g. Boardman's from Halfords, Btwin from Decathlon, Pinnacle from Evans etc).

iluva64

Post by iluva64 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Its a slippery slope, decide what you really need it for. I have ended up with three all Treks

A Domaine road bike for those out for a blast trips
A Trek mountain bike for my trips to Dalby Forest
An Urban Trek 750 - Full mud guards, full chain guard etc so I don't have to bother with clips and its no problem in the wet with suit and tie.

My son has a 'fixie' I hate it, although he rides it sometimes with a free wheel rather than a fixed wheel.

Single speed even in London (and I lived there for 15yrs) not for me. Trips from Muswell Hill to Tower Bridge on a regular basis - stick with some sort of urban / hybrid with min 3 gears.

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Hitting the wall - legs giving up etc

I got the bonk the other day.

I've not been out much during the last year or so and not actually ridden at all since October because of the **** winter weather. I'd done about 22mi (XC), it was 8pm and I'd not eaten since about 11am.

I resisted the urge to smash the fruit pastilles when I got home but I must admit, I took a mini pepperami with me next time.

Always take a few quid with you or a bank card - on 30 odd milers I'll need to buy a bottle of water to top up and usually a tube of Wine Gums or Fruit Pastilles.
This user liked this post: piston broke

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

This is mine

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Signs you don't wanna see whilst riding... especially not a single speed!

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Get a hybrid

I bought a Trek 7.2 for £450 about six years ago and its perfect.

I do like the idea of whizzing around like the professoinal, but I'd miss the chance to go canals and not so tarmaced back roads.

exactly what lancaster said
I got a gt transeo 8 years ago and it still does me just fine....very comfortable riding position compared to drop handles and the lock out suspension on front is handy on a trail.....tip for tyres....the schwalbe landcruisers are very good....get very few punctures and roll well but grippy for cornering....if buying new then you can get a decent hybrid with the all important disc brakes for anything over £400.

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed May 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks for all your advice, genuinely. I think I'm probably going to up the budget and go down the hybrid route.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed May 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I guess I've done what your looking to do over this past year. I moved within London and found myself 5 miles from my work and decided bespite there being a bus nearly door -to-door to start cycling to get some exercise.

Go second hand, there are so many good used bikes out there! For £60 I got a Claude Butler hybrid commuter from a workshop which sold via ebay. You're then looking at spending £100+ on helmet, good lights, 'sold secure' D-Lock and some new bits of casual clothing.
It was solid, wide comfy seat, mud guards and kept me upright in a fairly relaxed position but good for starting in London as you need to be on the lookout the whole time. It was perfect for what I needed it for and I don't think having anything more expensive would have benefited me. I also didn't care If it got nicked.

I've since bought a new bike and am doing longer rides and routes but still keep this one around as it's solid as a rock and gets you from A to B.
Attachments
322488517666_1.jpg
322488517666_1.jpg (18.6 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

iluva64

Post by iluva64 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Combo is right ebay has some great bikes on there. If you aren't sure, get it serviced at your local bike store, you can always add a few bits too if needed.

Just do the research and know what you are looking for - notably sizing. Go to you local store and find out which you prefer, note the frame size and the wheel size. That should suffice.

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Wed May 23, 2018 5:13 pm

If you are getting a single speed don't get the one that you linked, it looks terrible. It's just capitalising on the trend for single speed bikes with a cheap chinese bike that probably costs about £20 at source. Single speed is fine in most of London and not having to play around with gears, etc makes it a lot lower maintenance but it can limit you if you want to go further afield.

The best advice if you're looking for single speed is probably to look second hand. Most of the traders on here are trustworthy https://www.lfgss.com/microcosms/548/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're probably best looking at geared adventure/gravel/touring/winter (or whatever they're currently calling them) bikes. This is a fairly broad range but generally they're a bit more robust and a bit more comfortable. You can put fatter tyres and mudguards on them and use them happily all year long. The adventure/gravel end is ok for light off-road stuff too whereas the touring/winter is a bit faster/lighter (although changing round the tyres and a few other things will make a difference).

Something like this is really good value https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 77756.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whiffa
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 2597 times

Post by whiffa » Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Can someone explain to me what they mean by "bonking"? It's putting a strange twist on the conversation for me. :/

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 6:34 pm

whiffa wrote:Can someone explain to me what they mean by "bonking"? It's putting a strange twist on the conversation for me. :/
Explained at post 20 but it’s when your legs have nothing left to give and your head gets a bit woozy.
Also known as hitting the wall or the knock.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 pm

aggi wrote:Something like this is really good value https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 77756.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have the flat bar version of this bike and it's brilliant, I wouldn't however want my first London bike to be drop bars.
Even the flat bar versions of these bikes are quite a racy compared to how a hybrid will have you sat.

The 540FB is sadly out of stock everywhere, I see the 520 around a lot and it's really well reviewed. B'Twin have great specs for the price.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... 22799.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd still look at 2nd hand hybrids and get used to riding in London before dropping big money on anything.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed May 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Here's my bicycle from around thirty years ago:

It's probably a bit out of date! It was a Peugeot. Everything on it was French - gears (Simplex), brakes, saddle etc.. I changed the saddle to a Brookes but the rest is the same.

I did the paint scheme! The idea was for the bike to be noticed but it didn't work in the way I'd hoped. A car pulled out from a side road right in front of me and that was the end of the bike. The driver said he saw me but still pulled out. What to make of that I know not!

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 pm

To be honest I find cycling in London easier than most other parts of the country, at least the drivers are used to the idea that there are plenty of cyclists around. You'd be on the hoods anyway which is relatively upright.

I agree though that second hand is the best value, although anything that seems like a real bargain will probably be nicked.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 pm

We seem to blessed in Burnley with great MTB routes, and green cycle routes. I am awaiting delivery of the below, mainly got it to get my arse of the sofa and improve my health, at 43 with dodgy knees my health is starting to concern me and plenty have advised biking is the best exercise to do with dodgy knees along with swimming. If there are any MTB riders in Burnley on here I would love recommendations, without totally hijacking the OP :oops:

https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-fluid ... e-EV306510

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm

You don't see many fat olympic cyclists.

Does anybody have dodgy knees and cycle? I tried swimming, but doing breaststroke my legs bending and coming together made my knees hurt - so would squatting. I wonder if cycling is any easier on the knees with the way they bend?

happyclaret17
Been Liked: 446 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by happyclaret17 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I have a knee which is dodgy....cycling helps as its none impact and builds muscle to protect knee.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Don't forget to try ebay - plenty of 'used only twice' bikes bought by people who realised they were too lazy to ride it.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed May 23, 2018 8:43 pm

happyclaret17 wrote:I have a knee which is dodgy....cycling helps as its none impact and builds muscle to protect knee.
I was thinking that and it makes sense with building the muscle. It's just the bending action of the knee. I've got my bike sorted anyway, so going to chance it for the first time in about 4 years.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 pm

I would get some medical advice to be honest first but I don't think its an issue.

As has been said though, cycling gets you fit, it does not get you slim unless you really are one of these 200 km in a day blokes.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 pm

FactualFrank wrote:You don't see many fat olympic cyclists.

Does anybody have dodgy knees and cycle? I tried swimming, but doing breaststroke my legs bending and coming together made my knees hurt - so would squatting. I wonder if cycling is any easier on the knees with the way they bend?
I got a spinning bike for home when my knee started hurting and it really helps it gets the synovial fluid flowing around your knee and also strengthen muscles. After a couple of months I dug my bike out of the garage and off I went. Building knee strength at home first was better for me as you can control it and just stop when you want and don't have to worry getting home in pain.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank ClaretAL

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm

whiffa wrote:Can someone explain to me what they mean by "bonking"? It's putting a strange twist on the conversation for me. :/
i didn't know either whiffa, apparently it means low on carbohydrate or glucose, the result makes you dizzy . I assume it just affects all those super athletes above, probably not something to worry yourself if you're just starting out doing half hour gentle rides.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:09 pm

whiffa wrote:
Can someone explain to me what they mean by "bonking"? It's putting a strange twist on the conversation for me. :/
Wile E Coyote wrote:i didn't know either whiffa,
apparently it means low on carbohydrate or glucose, the result makes you dizzy . I assume it just affects all those super athletes above, probably not something to worry yourself if you're just starting out doing half hour gentle rides.
Thank heaven's that's cleared up. I'm pretty broad minded but was struggling to work out the mechanics,balance,and avoidance of the handle bar becoming an unwelcome part of the act.
This user liked this post: whiffa

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I would get some medical advice to be honest first but I don't think its an issue.

As has been said though, cycling gets you fit, it does not get you slim unless you really are one of these 200 km in a day blokes.
Cycling burns calories, but nothing will get you slim if you eat more calories than you need. 2 hours cycling can burn around 1500 calories. I have a power meter which helps accuracy. Cycling can help you stay slim without doing 200km a day.
You shouldn't be bonking on a 2 hours ride but bananas and gels can help with the carbs.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Re cycling and bad knees: a poor set up (incorrect saddle height/ position or cleats poorly aligned) can do a lot of harm.

I got a professional bike fit last year; he only made a few minor tweaks but the difference in comfort and efficiency was amazing. I fly around like Brad Wiggins on ventolin now.
This user liked this post: Hipper

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I was thinking that and it makes sense with building the muscle. It's just the bending action of the knee. I've got my bike sorted anyway, so going to chance it for the first time in about 4 years.
If you set your saddle as high as allowable( you shouldn’t have a straight leg on the down pedal and there are max. height markers on the saddle post) you shouldn’t over flex the knee. The drive comes from calves and thighs, if your knees hurt you are probably over geared or fooked.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/techni ... road-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 pm

You may not get thin cycling, I do a few thousand calories a week on my bike but it won't combat the Stella intake.

However you'll get ******* massive calfs and quads and you'll end up being able to bang like a shithouse door in a gale... which is the main thing of course!

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 pm

starting_11 wrote:You may not get thin cycling, I do a few thousand calories a week on my bike but it won't combat the Stella intake.

However you'll get ******* massive calfs and quads and you'll end up being able to bang like a shithouse door in a gale... which is the main thing of course!

So cycling does help with bonking after all :shock:

starting_11

Post by starting_11 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 am

karatekid wrote:So cycling does help with bonking after all :shock:
Aye, do it well 'n it'll make yer legs turn to jelly 'n all!

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

I always wondered what the phrase 'local bicycle' meant when referring to a girl.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 pm

piston broke wrote:You might not go at my speed and the hills I climb? When I go I go hard.
Very modest aren't you. 92 miles at the weekend at over 18mph average for me, first half was fasted as well riding on just water. Some pros ride fasted for 100 miles plus, unless of course you think you're faster than them too?

piston broke

Post by piston broke » Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

deanothedino wrote:Very modest aren't you. 92 miles at the weekend at over 18mph average for me, first half was fasted as well riding on just water. Some pros ride fasted for 100 miles plus, unless of course you think you're faster than them too?
Well good on you but if you can go that hard without sustenance you are a freak. You’re also not doing it in the 2-3 hours you referred to earlier.