The state of Burnley (the town)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2033 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Re: The state of Burnley (the town)

Post by Foshiznik » Fri May 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I live in Bristol and my parents and my mother's side of the family live in Burnley. It is a very picturesque area of the country. If you want to see alot worse, just go to Avonmouth.

It's better looking than most of Bristol. The only complaint I would have is that your roads are ****. The only place I know that has pot holes on the motorway and A roads that have less non potted road surface than potted!

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

"What's the latest with Burnley Wood? I know a few years ago they knocked down houses as you walk down Oxford Road, and did other bits up too - Clarence Street I think, where Haffners was? Have they stopped, or are they still improving that area?"

Frank, Haffners Bakery is on Marlborough Street now, open until 1:00.

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Fri May 25, 2018 3:32 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:There are still some really sh*t areas in Burnley. Coal Clough Lane is a mess, Piccadilly is rough as rats, Stoops is as bad as ever, Burnley Wood is a slum, Gannow's still a mugging hotspot.

The parks have always been nice, but those areas will never be good.
I really dislike you, UpTheBeehole. That’s all.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri May 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Are you disagreeing with my statement?

Those 5 places are a disgrace to the town, and the root cause of that is the residents of those areas.

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Post by Falcon » Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 pm

I expect that we'll solve the myriad problems of the poverty stricken residents of Burnley's less salubrious areas via an ill tempered argument on this messageboard.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri May 25, 2018 3:50 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:I really dislike you, UpTheBeehole. That’s all.
Congratulations!

This has been awarded UTC message board Post of the Week.

What the judges particularly liked with your entry. Was the way you managed to use so few words, to sum up the thoughts of so so many!!!

Great effort! Keep em coming in. Well done Cardy!
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Congratulations!

This has been awarded UTC message board Post of the Week.

What the judges particularly liked with your entry. Was the way you managed to use so few words, to sum up the thoughts of so so many!!!

Great effort! Well done Cardy!

You could argue UTB is the perfect example of why abortion should be allowed.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri May 25, 2018 3:55 pm

So go on then knobscratches, are you disagreeing with my statement?

Those 5 places are a disgrace to the town, and the root cause of that is the residents of those areas.

Zugunruhe
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Zugunruhe » Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 pm

How many times are you going to repeat yourself, you utterly tiresome person.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:45 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:So go on then knobscratches, are you disagreeing with my statement?

Go on then....i`ll dive in and try and entertain everyone !

no - its not a "disgrace" to the town...it is what it is. Some areas are more deprived than others in all towns and cities and Burnley has had more than its fair share of social problems and poverty down the years so naturally we are going to have our fair share of "problem areas".

Do these areas have some problem residents ? Of course they do - and the fact that these are not dealt with by the court systems with much harsher sentences is a national issue not a Burnley one.

Are the majority of the residents the "root cause" of the issues of the areas ? No...and you must know f-uck all about those areas and the residents to have that bigoted view.

There are many more complex reasons for why we still have these area in Burnley and to simplify it in your normal crude and prejudice way is ignorant and ill informed....but not at all unexpected.

The town as a whole (and even parts of these areas) is moving in the right direction. Things are positive at the moment - and it was not that long ago when they were anything but positive.

I knew I should have just called you a KNOB and had done with it !!
This user liked this post: Dazzler

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Those areas are undoubtedly rougher than others. But its not disproportionately so.

And for all the rough areas and degenerates we have, its not a patch on most towns. There is almost zero knife crime and a low murder rate.

There are issues. Drink drugs burglary and some violent crimes are still too high. But again probably way lower than other similar towns.

Some of our rough areas aren't great. But compare them not only with City Suburbs. But the likes of Blackburn, Luton etc.

For once I am positive and optimistic about the town.

Flatline
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by Flatline » Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 pm

UpTheBeehole wrote:There are still some really sh*t areas in Burnley. Coal Clough Lane is a mess, Piccadilly is rough as rats, Stoops is as bad as ever, Burnley Wood is a slum, Gannow's still a mugging hotspot.

The parks have always been nice, but those areas will never be good.
Coal Clough lane has a good and bad side,once you get past the junction of St Matthew St going up towards Rossendale Rd it's as good as most places.

As for Stoops it's probably the best looking council estate in Burnley.All the houses have had a face lift,new houses,schools and a health centre have been added.The brownfield sites have houses being built on them,Aidrie Crescent got a new kids nature park being built.

Maybe you haven't been down that way for a while.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Fri May 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Some selective choices there me thinks.

What is your opinion on Duke Bar & Stoneyholme ?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri May 25, 2018 6:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:Go on then....i`ll dive in and try and entertain everyone !

no - its not a "disgrace" to the town...it is what it is. Some areas are more deprived than others in all towns and cities and Burnley has had more than its fair share of social problems and poverty down the years so naturally we are going to have our fair share of "problem areas".

Do these areas have some problem residents ? Of course they do - and the fact that these are not dealt with by the court systems with much harsher sentences is a national issue not a Burnley one.

Are the majority of the residents the "root cause" of the issues of the areas ? No...and you must know f-uck all about those areas and the residents to have that bigoted view.

There are many more complex reasons for why we still have these area in Burnley and to simplify it in your normal crude and prejudice way is ignorant and ill informed....but not at all unexpected.

The town as a whole (and even parts of these areas) is moving in the right direction. Things are positive at the moment - and it was not that long ago when they were anything but positive.

I knew I should have just called you a KNOB and had done with it !!
Very unfair on knobs. At least they do have their uses....

cold claret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by cold claret » Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 pm

None of you ever got off a train at Burnley Central Station recently ? The first sight that you see on leaving the station is the boarded up derelict remains of the Adelphi pub.Its been like this for years and years.The Reindeer next to it was just as bad but they knocked it down a few years ago.
I remember drinking in these 2 pubs in the 80s.

This is a shocking sight to see for any visitor who comes to Burnley.Why can,t the powers that be get rid of this scruffy dump.
Not a nice advert for Burnley.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 am

cold claret wrote:None of you ever got off a train at Burnley Central Station recently ? The first sight that you see on leaving the station is the boarded up derelict remains of the Adelphi pub.Its been like this for years and years.The Reindeer next to it was just as bad but they knocked it down a few years ago.
I remember drinking in these 2 pubs in the 80s.

This is a shocking sight to see for any visitor who comes to Burnley.Why can,t the powers that be get rid of this scruffy dump.
Not a nice advert for Burnley.
Although its central station its not really the main one thankfully. The area isnt great. But the station and train itself is no better.

Its actually quite nostalgic though. Like a nod back to our past.

Lauren12
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by Lauren12 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:17 am

My grandparents used to live on Piccadilly Road and I lived there for a time, albeit many years ago. Whilst undoubtedly the area has suffered recently, for uphisownbumhole to dismiss residents of a community in such a simplistic way without giving a thought for the social and economic problems that has impacted on the town that are the root causes of these issues shows him to be the odious little turd he is.

But you carry on Mr self importance, waffling on a football messageboard with your strange, warped 6th form view of the world.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:04 am

I'm 28 and I think Burnley is the best it has ever been during my life time. Even though I was a child I still remember what it was like in the 90s and it's improved no end since then. I feel like the turning point was possibly the riots, though that's just my opinion. Slightly concerning the amount of pubs that are closing but possibly a case that we had too many and the good ones will survive whilst the ones that don't cut the mustard will go.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6887 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat May 26, 2018 10:11 am

Town on the up, the centre with the new granite flags looks really good.

Ipreferaflan
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Ipreferaflan » Sat May 26, 2018 10:50 am

Can't underestimate the impact that the football club is having on the town - the positivity is spreading. I've always found that people who've never been before are pleasantly surprised by how nice the town actually is when they see it for themselves. The outside stereotype of the town definitely isn't the reality.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am

UpTheBeehole wrote:So go on then knobscratches, are you disagreeing with my statement?

I’ve lived in Gannow for about 4 years, there’s about 10 streets that are really bad, the rest isn’t too bad although I’m looking forward to moving out. It’s a real burglary hotbed, same gang of scrotes, I’ll not name them but I’d imagine most of you know who they are. I pray for the day I come down stairs and catch one in my living room or near my car again

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat May 26, 2018 11:05 am

Ipreferaflan wrote:Can't underestimate the impact that the football club is having on the town - the positivity is spreading. I've always found that people who've never been before are pleasantly surprised by how nice the town actually is when they see it for themselves. The outside stereotype of the town definitely isn't the reality.
Weird. Had the same thought and started a thread on that seperate subject.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am

Burnley1989 wrote:I’ve lived in Gannow for about 4 years, there’s about 10 streets that are really bad, the rest isn’t too bad although I’m looking forward to moving out. It’s a real burglary hotbed, same gang of scrotes, I’ll not name them but I’d imagine most of you know who they are. I pray for the day I come down stairs and catch one in my living room or near my car again
The problem is,by knocking down houses to regenerate Accy road area those scrotes have to be housed elswhere.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 am

Burnley Wood includes many nice areas, I believe Towneley is included in its boundaries, the houses up Tod Rd are stunning.

There are four streets which causes most of the problems, sometimes referred to as ‘the grid’ however on those streets like every rough area across the country there are decent people.

The people of Burnley Wood work with all agencies in the town to improve the area- it is easy to discard a full area with a sweeping comment.

Burnley Wood has certainly improved since I regularly walked through late 90/early 2000’s.

I’ve argued for Burnley for many years, even with contributors on this thread, anyone who can’t see the massive improvements is blind.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 27, 2018 9:18 am

Tod Road houses are very nice. Especially further up. Manchester road too.

The best are those around queens park though.

Burnleys improved massively in recent years.

On the face of it burnley wood is better.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 27, 2018 9:20 am

Leyland road is worse than burnley wood. Leyland roads one of roughest areas i can think of anyhwere. But even then ive never personally had any issues. Other than having to see zombies night and sometimes day and drug dealers brazenly pedalling their **** daily.