Hurst appointed at Ipswich

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Hurst appointed at Ipswich

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am

Confirmed this morning, Shrewsbury boss Paul Hurst has taken over at Ipswich.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Re: Hurst appointed at Ipswich

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 am

Not Geoff then. Thought they were looking for goals.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 am

Wow, couple of massive blows in the space of a few days.

Wonder if this was already in the pipe line regardless of the playoff final result.

Paul Tisdale may also be leaving Exeter after 12 years in charge and successive playoff finals.

Think Mr Dyche will become one if the longest serving managers in the country. I'd guess top 5 at least, possibly top 3 should Tisdale leave.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 am

Hope he does well. Not an easy job though because they never spend much. Similar task to that facing SD when he arrived here in some ways. If you imagine Ipswich being 7th in the Premier League in 5 or 6 years time it would seem unbelievable and that shows what a job he has done.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Wed May 30, 2018 1:12 pm

I think if I were a Shrewsbury fan I'd be a bit naffed off at the suspicion that he hadn't really had his full focus on the play-offs. Of course, it's quite possible that this has all happened in the last 48 hours but seems a tad unlikely.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Bacchus wrote:I think if I were a Shrewsbury fan I'd be a bit naffed off at the suspicion that he hadn't really had his full focus on the play-offs. Of course, it's quite possible that this has all happened in the last 48 hours but seems a tad unlikely.
They all knew he was going no matter what happened in the play-offs, Ipswich had just been waiting until after the final.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Wed May 30, 2018 1:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They all knew he was going no matter what happened in the play-offs, Ipswich had just been waiting until after the final.
Fair enough, wasn't aware of the link before this week. I think I'd still be a bit disappointed though - given the position Shrewsbury were in you'd have hoped the manager would fully focus on the job at hand until the end of the season before talking with other clubs.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Bacchus wrote:Fair enough, wasn't aware of the link before this week. I think I'd still be a bit disappointed though - given the position Shrewsbury were in you'd have hoped the manager would fully focus on the job at hand until the end of the season before talking with other clubs.
I don't think there was any suggestion he wasn't fully focused. Same situation at Exeter with Paul Tisdale who is expected to move on, he's currently working his notice.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Good to see a promising Manager from the Lower League get a chance to step up. Too often, jobs like these are given to one of the tired old 'usual suspects'. I hope he does well. Ipswich are probably due a bit of a revival.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don't think there was any suggestion he wasn't fully focused. Same situation at Exeter with Paul Tisdale who is expected to move on, he's currently working his notice.
Which I think the sky commentators said was until October, which I thought was strange.

They ( Exeter ) were soundly beaten, and no matter what they might have said, I very much doubt all the speculation would have helped either of the losing camp going into the final.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm

MACCA wrote:Which I think the sky commentators said was until October, which I thought was strange.
He was on a two year rolling contract at Exeter but after a difficult start to the 2016/17 season, it was called in during October meaning he then had two years remaining on his contract. He's been serving his notice ever since. Their form improved after that, they've been to two play off finals but haven't been able to get him to sign a new deal.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He was on a two year rolling contract at Exeter but after a difficult start to the 2016/17 season, it was called in during October meaning he then had two years remaining on his contract. He's been serving his notice ever since. Their form improved after that, they've been to two play off finals but haven't been able to get him to sign a new deal.
Ah, I see. He was certainly speaking like a man who had already made his mind up about moving on.
I think the director of football or someone upstairs were also leaving, so that also might have a bearing on things.

He's been there a while, but they are run by a consortium and there are very little fuds available. I'm sure it said something along the lines of 7m worth of players sold in the last 2 or 3 years
He's done well to survive the 12 years, and get them where they are.

He wont be out of work long i dont think.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 30, 2018 2:29 pm

MACCA wrote:Ah, I see. He was certainly speaking like a man who had already made his mind up about moving on.
I think the director of football or someone upstairs were also leaving, so that also might have a bearing on things.

He's been there a while, but they are run by a consortium and there are very little fuds available. I'm sure it said something along the lines of 7m worth of players sold in the last 2 or 3 years

Director of football is Steve Perryman, ex-Spurs, who is retiring. The club aren't run by a consortium, they are fan owned. Tisdale is expected to move to that franchise in Milton Keynes.

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed May 30, 2018 2:29 pm

MACCA wrote:Ah, I see. He was certainly speaking like a man who had already made his mind up about moving on.

It was Steve Perryman, ex-Spurs, who was the Director of Football at Exeter who retired after the play off final, though Tisdale has spoken in recent days of the hope he can work with Perryman again and he is heavily linked with MK Franchise.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed May 30, 2018 2:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Director of football is Steve Perryman, ex-Spurs, who is retiring. The club aren't run by a consortium, they are fan owned. Tisdale is expected to move to that franchise in Milton Keynes.
Yes that's it. They put 90k in a year, then the club has to raise the rest.

Eerr, Milton Keynes.

They still seem to be throwing money at being crap.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed May 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Shrewsbury fans could be a bit miffed that they were not as good or as fit as Rotherham and miffed that when they did get back into the game in the 2nd half they lost a striker to injury. They can also consider they were lucky enough to play a side as bad as Charlton in the semi finals. Nothing to do with Hurst, done a good job there considering the were pre season relegation fodder (remind you of anyone!!)

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm

After Tisdale isn't it Jim Bentley at Morecambe, Neil Ardley at Wimbledon, Eddie Howe and then Sean? the latter three all appointed in October 2012

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 31, 2018 12:19 am

mdd2 wrote:After Tisdale isn't it Jim Bentley at Morecambe, Neil Ardley at Wimbledon, Eddie Howe and then Sean? the latter three all appointed in October 2012
Gareth Ainsworth is between Bentley & Ardley. He took over at Wycombe in September.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 am

NL Claret wrote:Shrewsbury fans could be a bit miffed that they were not as good or as fit as Rotherham and miffed that when they did get back into the game in the 2nd half they lost a striker to injury. They can also consider they were lucky enough to play a side as bad as Charlton in the semi finals. Nothing to do with Hurst, done a good job there considering the were pre season relegation fodder (remind you of anyone!!)
It's no surprise they looked leggy, almost sure that was Shrewsbury's 62nd game of the season.