Good watches

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
littlemissclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: Good watches

Post by littlemissclaret » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:23 pm

As others have said, get a watch brand, not Next, Adidas, Gucci etc. My watch is Jorg Gray from the USA. It's Citizen inside and I love it. It does seem to scratch easily, so I won't be spending > £100 on a watch again unless I can be reassured that the glass is tough.

I have had a couple of Pulsar/Seiko watches, which were excellent also, but the JG is wearing much better. If you stick to proper brands - Pulsar, Seiko, Citizen, Rotary, Fossil, Tissot etc. go as expensive as you can and the more you spend the longer the watch will last. Simple.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Never been a great fan of watches or men's jewelry, but just treated myself .... a Hamilton Ventura, modern version of a design classic from the late 1950's...

attachment=0]ventura_02.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
ventura_02.jpg
ventura_02.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:07 pm

http://limitwatches.co.uk/collection/mens-classic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There you are no need to spend are fortune made here as well.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:51 pm

so here's my story....

I have an airbnb. A few weeks ago a guest handed me a watch that had apparently been left behind in a bedside cabinet drawer that had been missed by cleaning. The previous three bookings were all from young women, meeting up to celebrate their respective friends' groups college graduations.

it's an Invicta Jason Taylor - here on Invicta's website.... YES almost $4k :shock: :lol:

https://www.invictawatch.com/watches/de ... z60-quartz

Thing is.... nobody has claimed it. I can only assume one of the women from one of these groups has met up with a gentleman, they don't know each other, but they have a good time. The woman has no idea the guy has left it behind, and the guy can hardly find me to enquire!

Now, it's not mine, so I can't sell it, but I don't mind wearing it if so inclined, now and then. Thing is it weighs as much as a brick and is an ugly fecker for something so expensive

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Does anybody never wear watches? I have one my parents bought me for my 21st and my Dad's watch that I had after he died. But I just don't wear them. With mobile phones, there's little use to put one on.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:58 am

NRC wrote:so here's my story....

I have an airbnb. A few weeks ago a guest handed me a watch that had apparently been left behind in a bedside cabinet drawer that had been missed by cleaning. The previous three bookings were all from young women, meeting up to celebrate their respective friends' groups college graduations.

it's an Invicta Jason Taylor - here on Invicta's website.... YES almost $4k :shock: :lol:

Thing is.... nobody has claimed it. I can only assume one of the women from one of these groups has met up with a gentleman, they don't know each other, but they have a good time. The woman has no idea the guy has left it behind, and the guy can hardly find me to enquire!

Now, it's not mine, so I can't sell it, but I don't mind wearing it if so inclined, now and then. Thing is it weighs as much as a brick and is an ugly fecker for something so expensive
Hand it in. He may not be able to find you. But he may contact the police or similar to find it.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:03 am

The thing I get from that is... get new cleaners. They're bloody rubbish.

Zesty
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Zesty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 am

I’ll give you £200 :lol: :lol:

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:07 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Does anybody never wear watches? I have one my parents bought me for my 21st and my Dad's watch that I had after he died. But I just don't wear them. With mobile phones, there's little use to put one on.
I don't wear unless I am going to meetings where I will need a sneaky look at the time. Mobile phone is always off in meetings so that's not an option.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 pm

A good old Casio

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collecti ... s_wa_3_vtp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Hand it in. He may not be able to find you. But he may contact the police or similar to find it.
maybe I'll hand it in to the "or similar" option, stand back and see the governance applied.

There's a flaw in the whole sequence of things here.... what if the people that found it had NOT handed it to me? Some guy could somehow have found me, reached out to me, asked me about it, and I would have no knowledge of it as one of the 3 subsequent guest groups could simply have taken it.

In addition to the watch I have also had a pair of rather nice tan suede women's ankle boots left behind. in this instance I DID reach out to the two immediate guests, who asked their friends, and again no claimers

I'm already looking forward to next year's graduation season to see what else might be left behind

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm

There are a couple of answers in this thread which I back hard: Seiko and Skagen.

My day-to-day watch is a Longines Conquest 954, but I've got Seikos and a Skagen at home as well. Seikos are bulletproof, and I love Skagen's simplicity.

The 'designer' watches aren't much cop, although my D&G one feels very premium.

For decorating and the like I shove on a Timex or Casio digital one.

I had a Tag Carrera, but sold it on.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I’m a big fan of Uniform Wares if you’re after a minimal style.
+1 to Uniform Wares. Great movement and beautifully made. They may be out of price range but you might be able to get one second hand (which I'd recommend).

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Does anybody never wear watches? I have one my parents bought me for my 21st and my Dad's watch that I had after he died. But I just don't wear them. With mobile phones, there's little use to put one on.
Everyday, feel naked without one out of the house.