Bobby Reid

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Bobby Reid

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 am

Rumours we are bidding £10million for the Bristol player.

Rouwens_Weapon
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: Bobby Reid

Post by Rouwens_Weapon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am

Sounds like a Soul singer
These 3 users liked this post: IndigoLake Quicknick starting_11

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 am

Don’t know much about Bobby Reid other than seeing rumours of WBA bids for him. However could pave the way to Jay Rod leaving.

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am

ArmchairDetective wrote:However could pave the way to Jay Rod leaving.
I didn't know Jay Rod had even joined. :lol:

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Rumours we are bidding £10million for the Bristol player.
Think they got him mixed up with Joe Bryan :shock: :roll: :D

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am

Played 46 Championship matches and scored 19 goals last season. Was selected in the PFA's team of the year.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 am

Could this be us trying to push WBA into selling JRod to us?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am

Swear the championship is the only league we know exists :lol:

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

Bobby Reid would be a decent addition , I’d be relatively happy with that. Hoping that we can pull off another gem like Defour just to add some more class to the squad, maybe two if I’m being greedy and extremely optimistic.
These 2 users liked this post: Right_winger Stayingup

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

SGr wrote:Swear the championship is the only league we know exists :lol:
Not done us any harm in the past and saved us a few bob
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone mybloodisclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 am

We were linked with Reid some time ago but I thought he was on his way to West Brom

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 am

Top Claret wrote:Not done us any harm in the past and saved us a few bob
I would hardly say it saved us a few bob. Compare what we paid for Hendrick to that which we paid for Defour and I know which I see as the better value.

As you said though, searching in the championship has got us where we are and there is some very good young players to be had from there.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:We were linked with Reid some time ago but I thought he was on his way to West Brom
According to the Bristol Post talks between WBA and Bristol were said to at an "advanced stage" but now they are
saying that it's not the case.

Apparently Albion have offered £7m and BC want £10m. Reid has only one year left to run on his contract.

Maybe we could use Walters or Wells as a makeweight in any proposed deal?

Reid would be a good signing IMHO, he is a neat player with a good touch who scores and sets up goals and is only 24.
He can play as a forward or in midfield so he is versatile as well.

Norwich are asking about £20m for Maddison and the price tag for Grealish is about the same. So relatively speaking Reid is a snip at £10m.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 am

An interview with Bobby Reid that gives some indication of the type of bloke he is. Seems like a likeable chap who isn't afraid of putting in the hard work to get where he wants to be.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ew-1295956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:48 am

I should think a host of Championship clubs would be interested in Walters. I still hope he goes back to Stoke, where the fans still love him, but if we can use him to help grease the wheels of other deals it would be excellent. Swapping Rondon and Jay, for Walters and Reid, wouldn't be a bad bit of business, and still leave them cash for other areas.
It's a no brainer WBA turning down our initial offer. They have to know replacements are there, before they commit to losing key players. Sadly they are in no rush, whilst we, due to the early start to the season are. I doubt if any incoming players will arrive in time to influence the EL sides we put out in those first 2 rounds, IF we make the 3rd round. Wouldn't want to jinx us.

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am

ClaretLoup wrote: Maybe we could use Walters or Wells as a makeweight in any proposed deal?
Maybe Walters and Wells won't want to go to Bristol City.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am

Saw a bit of Reid during their cup run and was fairly impressed with him. Gave United and City plenty of problems playing upfront on his own.

SGr

Post by SGr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am

Top Claret wrote:Not done us any harm in the past and saved us a few bob
It really hasn’t saved us a few bob.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I should think a host of Championship clubs would be interested in Walters.
Yep they'll be queuing out the door to pay Premier League wages to a 34 year striker whose only made 26 league starts and scored 4 goals in the last two seasons.

Lets be honest if Burnley were in the Championship and Walters had just had a season like he did with us say at Watford no way would anyone on here want us to go anywhere near him

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Yep they'll be queuing out the door to pay Premier League wages to a 34 year striker whose only made 26 league starts and scored 4 goals in the last two seasons.

Lets be honest if Burnley were in the Championship and Walters had just had a season like he did with us say at Watford no way would anyone on here want us to go anywhere near him
Correct!

The transfer market doesn’t work how people on this board want it too.
Ring Ring “Hi BFC here can we have two of your better players for £25 million? No ! Well how’s about we throw in a couple of shite ones to bulk the deal out! Hello Hello””

“”they’ve hung up Mike””

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:41 am

10 million for Reid would be good value in the current market,wages shouldn't be an issue get him signed ASAP.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 pm

RocketLawnChair wrote:Correct!

The transfer market doesn’t work how people on this board want it too.
Ring Ring “Hi BFC here can we have two of your better players for £25 million? No ! Well how’s about we throw in a couple of shite ones to bulk the deal out! Hello Hello””

“”they’ve hung up Mike””
Almost correct, with the exception that Walters and Wells are certainly not shite. They would make solid contributions to any Championship club they moved to. Although, I would agree that fee plus players deals are easier to suggest than pull off. That doesn't mean they don't happen though. A couple of years ago we would have been dancing on sun beams at the prospect of signing players of their calibre.

In respect to Walters and the possibility of him leaving, I would be surprised if we got a transfer fee for him. Another club could look at him and see the one year on his contract and say "Why should we buy him now, we can ask to loan him, cover his wages and if he works out sign him on a free at the end of the season".

Stumping up a transfer fee and paying his wages might be asking too much of any potential suitors and a loan might be a more viable option if we need to free up space in the squad for incomings. However, we don't need to loan him or sell him and he can still make a valuable contribution to the squad next season if he stays. That gives us some wiggle room when it comes to negotiations with any club that might be interested, because we can say no to them.

Based on his previous form in the Championship I would value Wells at somewhere between £5m-£8m in this window. He hasn't been given the opportunity to show what he can do here, which makes him something of an enigma. I would be a bit annoyed if we moved him on for a trivial fee and given playing time he replicated his previous form which would see his value rise significantly. I think he would be a desireable player for a lot of Championship clubs and many of them will be in the market for strikers during this window.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Almost correct, with the exception that Walters and Wells are certainly not shite. They would make solid contributions to any Championship club they moved to. Although, I would agree that fee plus players deals are easier to suggest than pull off. That doesn't mean they don't happen though. A couple of years ago we would have been dancing on sun beams at the prospect of signing players of their calibre.

In respect to Walters and the possibility of him leaving, I would be surprised if we got a transfer fee for him. Another club could look at him and see the one year on his contract and say "Why should we buy him now, we can ask to loan him, cover his wages and if he works out sign him on a free at the end of the season".

Stumping up a transfer fee and paying his wages might be asking too much of any potential suitors and a loan might be a more viable option if we need to free up space in the squad for incomings. However, we don't need to loan him or sell him and he can still make a valuable contribution to the squad next season if he stays. That gives us some wiggle room when it comes to negotiations with any club that might be interested, because we can say no to them.

Based on his previous form in the Championship I would value Wells at somewhere between £5m-£8m in this window. He hasn't been given the opportunity to show what he can do here, which makes him something of an enigma. I would be a bit annoyed if we moved him on for a trivial fee and given playing time he replicated his previous form which would see his value rise significantly. I think he would be a desireable player for a lot of Championship clubs and many of them will be in the market for strikers during this window.
"Hasn't been given the opportunity"?
Or has failed to take that chance?
It all depends on how you look at it ;)

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 am

if we are looking at players like Bobby Reid then our scouting system is still ****

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 am

....so **** that it has helped us from bottom half of the Championship to 7th in the PL and from nearly broke to flush .....
This user liked this post: Quicknick

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 am

Culmclaret wrote:....so **** that it has helped us from bottom half of the Championship to 7th in the PL and from nearly broke to flush .....

Think vegas is just proving it isn't just Americans who are idiots in America
This user liked this post: Paulclaret

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 am

Vegas Claret wrote:if we are looking at players like Bobby Reid then our scouting system is still ****
How do we know it's not SD who has identified him and requested the information?

Surely Dyche will ask for info on players HE is interested in rather than have a player's name shoved under his nose?

Some of us just love sticking the knife in despite the recent successes. Baffling.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 am

Zom Zom wrote:How do we know it's not SD who has identified him and requested the information?

Surely Dyche will ask for info on players HE is interested in rather than have a player's name shoved under his nose?

Some of us just love sticking the knife in despite the recent successes. Baffling.
Once you become a serial moaner it’s must be hard to change I suppose. We have the same every summer with players we are linked with. God forbid we buy a ‘crap’ lower league player and Dyche develops him to another international.
These 2 users liked this post: Zom Zom Juan Tanamera

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm

some of you boys need to get a grip. There is far better value in the foreign market and it's one up to now we haven't really exploited - the manager himself said it was because the scouting network needed to be developed because it was poor. I'm not pushing an agenda, i'm not moaning - I'm just repeating what the manager has said

Carry on

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:59 pm

SGr wrote:It really hasn’t saved us a few bob.
Tarkowski, Gudmondsson, Pope, Heaton, Ward ...

You can get cheap players from the Championship as well as expensive ones.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:some of you boys need to get a grip. There is far better value in the foreign market and it's one up to now we haven't really exploited - the manager himself said it was because the scouting network needed to be developed because it was poor. I'm not pushing an agenda, i'm not moaning - I'm just repeating what the manager has said

Carry on
I don't think it is a simple case of our scouting network being poor, from the perspective of being able to identify players of a suitable standard. The world has moved on from the fly and watch model. Almost anybody can watch matches from around the globe, at all levels, nowadays. Clubs also have access to some high quality scouting software packages that provide a wealth of statistical data. Things have progressed to the point where a club can, for little outlay, get a very good idea about a players football ability while sitting at a laptop before they watch them in person.

The hurdle is that getting an idea of a players character from a laptop is a lot harder. Dealing with the domestic market we can ask the opinions of players about other players they have encountered in the game. And the same goes for our staff. This type of information is vital to our own recruitement policy and it is probably what we are lacking.

We can look at a player, green tick their price, green tick that they have the playing ability we require, green tick that their physicality and playing style will allow them to adapt to the english game, but it is more difficult to green tick that their personality is a good fit for the club.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr jtv

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Bristol City look like theyre signing attacking midfielder Marley Watkins from Norwich. Could free up Reid.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Pearcey wrote:Bristol City look like theyre signing attacking midfielder Marley Watkins from Norwich. Could free up Reid.
Signed him
1m, 3 year deal

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:05 pm

MACCA wrote:Signed him
1m, 3 year deal
Source?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry I'm not reading the thread, thought it was about Reid to us. Should pay attention, but I am on my 6th Tyskie.

SGr

Post by SGr » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 am

dsr wrote:Tarkowski, Gudmondsson, Pope, Heaton, Ward ...

You can get cheap players from the Championship as well as expensive ones.
Sordell, Jutkiewicz, Chris Long, Vossen (he was signed based off a championship season)...

To go for the cheap and unproven is to gamble massively - not least when survival is at stake. We need players that will readily improve the starting 11, which sadly means spending top dollar in some instances. Teams that finished below us will.

Japebe43
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Japebe43 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 am

Oh Bobby Reid, is not my lover.. Ow!..

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 am

I personally don't think he's good enough....

But, in Dyche we trust

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 am

SGr wrote:Sordell, Jutkiewicz, Chris Long, Vossen (he was signed based off a championship season)...

To go for the cheap and unproven is to gamble massively - not least when survival is at stake. We need players that will readily improve the starting 11, which sadly means spending top dollar in some instances. Teams that finished below us will.
Yes, well. If we leave out the more experienced Ward and Gudmondsson, that leaves your four plus Heaton, Pope, Tarkowski. So that's seven cheap(ish) signings from the Championship, only three of which have gone on to play for England. ah shucks.

Paint it how you will, there is no way I am going to see our recent (5 year) transfer dealings as anything but successful. Has every siongle signing been a success? No. Can anyone in their right mind expect it to be? No. If by two tickets for the Lottery and only one wins the jackpot, are you disappointed? No.
These 3 users liked this post: jtv Juan Tanamera Braindead

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 am

dsr wrote:Yes, well. If we leave out the more experienced Ward and Gudmondsson, that leaves your four plus Heaton, Pope, Tarkowski. So that's seven cheap(ish) signings from the Championship, only three of which have gone on to play for England. ah shucks.

Paint it how you will, there is no way I am going to see our recent (5 year) transfer dealings as anything but successful. Has every siongle signing been a success? No. Can anyone in their right mind expect it to be? No. If by two tickets for the Lottery and only one wins the jackpot, are you disappointed? No.
Very predictable response from DSR
This user liked this post: IWOODLOVETT

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:22 am

KRBFC wrote:Very predictable response from DSR
Very predictable response from KRBFC

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:50 am

CoolClaret wrote:I personally don't think he's good enough....

But, in Dyche we trust
I haven’t seen one link about Bobby Reid to us anywhere this window so I wouldn’t worry, not sure where this thread has come from.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:12 am

Not sure KRBFC or Vegas Claret has grasped the very clearly defined strategy we've employed in the last 3/4 or so years and which has been hugely successful.

Sure, the manager has talked of expanding our scouting reach, but he and the Chairman have also talked about their policy of minimising the number of risks and variables on every single transfer (including relocation and settling in risks), even if by minimising those risks they end up paying a bit more to shop in a smaller talent pool. Hard to argue that hasnt been a roaring success.

Cant say ive seen that much of Bobby Reid but if he is a target, hes of a type which has been pretty successful for us recently (Sordell and Juke, incidentally, being a totally different type of signing, made at our time our budgets were very different)

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Just a WBA spoiler!

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm

jedi_master wrote:I haven’t seen one link about Bobby Reid to us anywhere this window so I wouldn’t worry, not sure where this thread has come from.
I saw it on one of those Football Talk / Rumours twitter accounts and when you look at the player it doesn’t seem like a crazy suggestion. But at this point in time (having so far signed nobody) its as good a rumour as any other.

There is also the possibility that someone at the club might see the thread and think that’s a player who wasn’t on our radar but is worth looking at.