england are mistaken for befriending the tabloid press.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

england are mistaken for befriending the tabloid press.

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 am

This thing england are doing where they are attempting to get all cosy with the press is fairly sickening and pathetic in my view.
To suck up to those vultures in order to keep the more rabid of their journalists quiet is cowardly and unecessary surely.
England camps have witnessed previously how vile the coverage can be, why give an inch to them?
Show's them all playing darts together, and then in turn the journalists say how nice it is to be part of it all.
If I were responsible for the media side of englands set up, i would ban ALL of them from withing five miles of the hotels and training facilities, and just arrange televised interviews with BBC.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Re: england are mistaken for befriending the tabloid press.

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am

Keep you friends close and your enemies even closer ! ;)
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets KateR Pearcey

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am

Agree with the Wile 100% here. Lose tonight against Tunisia and the press will turn this Darts/Ten Pin Bowling malarkey into the team being on a glorified stag do.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am

Cant do them any harm. Look how the press have torn them apart at every previous opportunity. Sure they may do the same again but at least it might be after the event rather than before it for once.

And tbh I doubt its 'fake'. Southgate seems genuine, forward thinking and approachable.

Very similar to Dyche and he will be just trying to get any 'marginal gains' he can.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 am

why though ralph? their only job is to tell everyone what we already know surely.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:14 am

sorry cricketfieldclarets, there is no merit whatsoever in appeasing those people. **** em.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am

Don't see the problem. Southgate will get slaughtered whatever he does the moment we lose. If he wants to behave like a civil adult rather than a paranoid celeb until that point, that's up to him.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am

I think its refreshing to be honest.

Having an England team and manager who are cheerful, personable and totally lacking in any paranoid lunatics is great to be honest.

It does seem very like a very successful team ethic that we use for starters.
This user liked this post: Dyched

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 am

It doesn't matter how well England do, the press will still find something to try and bring them down.

Agree with the OP - ban them, teach the scroungers a lesson - they thrive on putting people down

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:39 am

Even with lower expectations from most the tabloids will home in on Southgates decisions and follow the usual blame culture. I think the best course would be to stick with Southgate and rise above them, but doubt we will.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:42 am

I think it’s great.

Take the football aspect away. Southgate will be seeing the journalists every day for 5/6 weeks. To be distant from people having spent so much time with them a bit odd imo. He’s trying to make the England set up anreally good atmosphere. Something to enjoy. Our Sean does the same. That’s why were are succesful. It’s not all about the quality of the footballers. But the relaxed, no pressure, enjoyment what they have.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:Even with lower expectations from most the tabloids will home in on Southgates decisions and follow the usual blame culture. I think the best course would be to stick with Southgate and rise above them, but doubt we will.
They would do that regardless of any effort by Southgate to improve relations with them.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 am

Agree with those who think its a positive.

One thing I have admired/liked about Southgate so far is that he seems to be doing things his way and differently to his predecessors.

We have a young team - whilst there will be hope they can do something above and beyond the general realism of where this team is currently, I think the whole feel of this world cup is far more positive than it has been for a while. We have a team with pace, we have don't seem to be having an issue with having people in the squad just because of the name on their shirt- Hart/Wilshere etc.

Typical that some burnley fans are having a pop on a 'feeling' without fact or merit.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am

why are they trying to appease this disgusting , vindictive , and classless bunch of tabloid **** ? just in case the team lose, and the manager and team want to be shown in a better light .
These journalists are just hovering , praying for failure. The public surely dont need these cockroaches to tell them whether the team are any good or not, just watch the telly , it'll be obvious.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 856 times
Has Liked: 529 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:11 am

Let's be honest here, Southgate and his squad can't win with the tabloids no matter what they do... well, unless we win the competition obviously!!It might appear that things are rosy at the moment but we're just waiting for that to turn.

A defeat or a draw tonight and Southgate will be hung out to dry and called a turnip or something equally as pathetic. Even a 1 nil win would be met with negative press coverage I'm sure - it would just be seen as an expected yet underwhelming win. Yet if we win 5 nil we'll be built up to a level we can't sustain and the negative coverage will be held for another day. The tabloids are a ticking time bomb and do nothing to help our National side in major tournaments.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:14 am

I think everyone is expecting us to get out of the group and then thats it.

Anything else is a bonus. And I think the press agree with that as well.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:why are they trying to appease this disgusting , vindictive , and classless bunch of tabloid **** ?
Has it crossed your mind that he's not trying to 'appease' them and he just chooses to conduct himself properly rather than getting embroiled in paranoid tit for tat squabbles?

His managerial record suggests this job will be too much for him and he'll rightly be up for the chop if that proves to be the case. But behaving like a grown up and encouraging others to do the same isn't a reason to have a pop at him.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:08 am

What ever you say or do the tabloids are bound to have something to say and usually negative knowing them.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:46 am

We all know that the tabloid press is a nest of vipers, but this just might be a masterstroke and make the players relax a bit more. Maybe even stop them from worrying too much when they make a couple of misplaced passes.

Anyway, even if we don't do well, it's been a refreshing change seeing an England manager who doesn't seem to be a paranoid nutter.

Come on England!

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:We all know that the tabloid press is a nest of vipers, but this just might be a masterstroke and make the players relax a bit more. Maybe even stop them from worrying too much when they make a couple of misplaced passes.

Anyway, even if we don't do well, it's been a refreshing change seeing an England manager who doesn't seem to be a paranoid nutter.

Come on England!
but i ts like saying the whole nation can see the match for themselves, make up their own minds about how well they played, but then collectively as a nation, be subjected to a tidal wave of **** from the press and only that will confirm what we've just watched. there must be millions of thick , really thick people in this country if that's the case.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:47 pm

It`s not that all people who read the press are thick or can't make their own mind up it`s more a case of what the press have done in the past in slaughtering England players and managers...not only for their performance on the pitch but also making their lives off the pitch public etc.

Southgate seems like an intelligent man so nothing really against him trying to improve relationships with the tabloid press. Maybe he has thought that by doing this he and his team will get some positive coverage for their treatment of the press and this is better than getting the negative type coverage they got with the likes of Capello before a ball has even been kicked. There's something to be said for this being better for the mindset of the players going into the games.

At the end of the day though Southgate does not believe for one second that this will change how the tabloids will react if England flop at the World Cup. It does seem though that there is genuinely less expectations from everybody as to how far England can go which probably means that unless they do not get out of the group the press for a change could leave the manager alone (for now) and might just have a go for a few days at individual players like Sterling.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:but i ts like saying the whole nation can see the match for themselves, make up their own minds about how well they played, but then collectively as a nation, be subjected to a tidal wave of **** from the press and only that will confirm what we've just watched. there must be millions of thick , really thick people in this country if that's the case.
I think there are a lot of gullible people in every country. Just look how easy it is for some of the tabloids to whip up a frenzy about any given subject. Their latest flavour of the month is a video game - apparently its now the root of all evil, until next month.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't think it is trying to be clever or with any anterior motive.

I like Southgate, it's been hard not to over the last few months.
And if the press turn, he can simply say it's part of their job.
He appears to know to enjoy the moment and the press whilst things are good, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shrug it off when it's bad.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 pm

It says something when England fans complain that we're being too nice with the press. It certainly shows there's nothing else to currently whinge about. If they were ignoring the press, that too, would have people complaining, saying we should treat them better. Lose-lose.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 am

All the papersand talksport very complimentary of southgate and theteam. Only been critical of the ref and techbology.

sleeperclaret
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by sleeperclaret » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:27 am

Re-read this thread and swap "England" for "Burnley" and "journalist"/"press" for "some posters on this board". At least the journalists get paid.... ;)

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:39 am

sleeperclaret wrote:Re-read this thread and swap "England" for "Burnley" and "journalist"/"press" for "some posters on this board". At least the journalists get paid.... ;)
It sounds like too much hard work.

Reading the thread that is.